• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DABegley

Major
8 Badges
Mar 19, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
I am Aragon and own every Mediterranean coastal province from Macedonia to Ifni except Tangiers, Edirne, Thrace and Tunis. In order to have a land route to these provinces so they are no longer "overseas" do I have to have the route all the way to Spain or will a route to any European province do? In other words do I have to annex southern France, northern Italy and the Balkan coast as well as a route through southern Russia or can I just grab the southern Russia portion giving me a land route to my Greek provinces? I assume taking Edirne and Thrace would not count as a "land route". The reason I am asking this is that all of Anatolia up to and including Mus have a positive tax value as well as the N. African province up to Gafse. this implies the distance calculation for Anatolia is coming from the Greek provinces not my home Spanish provinces as I have no land link to the Greek provinces but they are European so I get tax value for them.

You have to trace a land route from your capital province to the province you don't want to be overseas, so I'm afraid it is going to involve conquering large parts of France and Italy as well as making a connection across the Bosphorus or a longer one round the Black Sea... would it pay you to move your capital instead?

Doesn't my Capital have to be isolated to be moved off your home continent? I am slowly swallowing Castile, it has 5 provinces left, so I am not going to be isolated any time soon.

Note that Turkey (Anatolia and Asia Minor) belongs to Europe in EU3.

"Note that Turkey (Anatolia and Asia Minor) belongs to Europe in EU3."

Really, would that mean I don't need to get a route through southern Russia? Now plowing through Hungary, Austria, Milan and France is tough enough mind you but it will save the Ukraine jaunt if it works. OK, Hungary and Milan are not a problem and Austria is not that big an issue in this game...France on the other hand is gonna take some work. That also explains why I get taxes all the way to Mus. It is 1616 and I am planning on using the next 34 years to grab as much Muslim territory as possible before the Holy War CB goes away then turning to completing the cross-European highway. Thanks.

Conquer Thrace and Edrine. Most efficient way to connect to your african provinces. As it is a strait, it does indeed count as a land connection. Just one that can be blocked with a single ship. And Thrace is also a decent capital once you core it. that said, this just means conquering around the black sea isnt needed.

Of course, the best of both worlds is both. As it turns out, having the Bosphorus and the right sliders gives you a 15% bonus to the trade value of a good for provinces bordering the black sea. Meaning more production and trade income.

This doesnt solve the issue that france and italy are still in the way of a direct connection. But it is most certainly the most profitable way to connect it around greece.

Last edited:
I moved my Capital to Bythinia (after being informed that Asia Minor is part of Europe for EU III purposes, thank you Lillebror) as I didn't own Thrace at the time and I also didn't know the straights rules. The -4 stability dropped my income a ton until I raised it back to +3 but now my income has gone up a good bit higher than before as all my Iberian provinces still count as not overseas, being on the same continent, and the income from 18 African provinces (most very low I admit but the coast from Alexandria to Aleppo isn't bad) has helped and it raised my Tariff % from 70% to 85%. After the switch I still have 110 oversea provinces, in North America mostly, and my fleet wasn't big enough to cover them. I own Thrace and Edirne now, so if I get a +2 stability event I may swap it to Thrace when I core it to buffer the -4 penalty, Edirne is already a core. The march to India could take a while as I just annexed Syria and most of the Mameluke turf. I am primed for the blitz of Persia next session followed by the roll through the Timurids. Poland owns the north coast of the Black Sea and will have to be dealt with eventually but it is 1634 and I have 16 years left to use Holy War.