• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pete60750

Private
15 Badges
Jun 13, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
Jn3CHjx.jpg

"Live with honor, or die with glory."

Hello, and welcome to this AAR. Quick disclaimer: I am a complete newbie at Victoria 2. I have played maybe five hours of the game, and so this AAR will involve a lot more failure than victory. But hey, with enough help, maybe I'll be able to get decent enough at the game! I'm playing with both HoD and AHD, and this will be a gameplay AAr.

I have no real plans for this, but I have a couple of guidelines:
  • Conquer all Chilean cored territory
  • Avoid being sphered by any great powers
  • Conquer Bolivia

I hope this is somewhat enjoyable!

JKuilDi.png

Situation in South America 1936:
rJgi0LH.jpg

We have cores on Bolivia and Peru to our north, but they are allied to each other. We have no allies (yet) but are ahead of most of South America militarily.

First things first: Brazil offers us an alliance. Yes, please!
2VfzGx9.jpg

While this could drag us into unnecessary wars later, the first thing we want to do is to be able to defeat Bolivia and Peru, and for that we need allies.

As for technology, screw commerce and culture: we need to have a strong army and navy, and for that we need decent industry. Roll on Mechanised Mining!
SrDvlC1.jpg

We're a democracy, and are mostly conservative. I call another election, as I like the conservative policies, and an election should increase their seats.
A3b6lNL.jpg

As our army is pretty minute and is all infantry, I build two units of artillery.
6ZxXlUm.jpg

Brazil calls us to war against Colombia. I accept, knowing that the war will likely not come to our borders.
EmVi8vJ.jpg

As we are nearly out of money, I nationalise a Patagonian (ethnic minority) bank. I also nearly completely cut all construction spending, despite the fact that our artillery is still not built.
Bpbupkq.jpg

Elections are held, the conservatives and the reactionaries make huge gains. Peru ask for military access; because Peru is allied to Bolivia, I don’t give them military access. Argentina declares war on Bolivia quickly anyways. I ready my army to take advantage of this.
K25SJtJ.jpg

In order to prepare for war, I make a quick alliance with Paraguay. They’re pretty small and could be eaten up quickly, meaning I will not get involved in much, but their help could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

Construction of the artillery is finally finished, and I move them up north to prepare for war. I also mobilise. This is our current army:
gXhPBQ4.jpg

Time for war.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I realise that this one was a little short for a first update, but I didn't want to have to split the war into two segments. Also: in re the name I have contacted the mods to change it.

Subbed. Love South America in Vicky 2 (particularly Chile and Argentina), and your first update was great. I'll be watching this!

Reactions:
I am obliged to follow this AAR having written and completed an AAR by the exact same title in my sig.

Probably won't get confused with mine considering mine's history book style and with the PDM mod.

I hope you can complete yours to 1936 and make your Chile as good as my Chile. Good luck!

Subbed

I am obliged to follow this AAR having written and completed an AAR by the exact same title in my sig.

Probably won't get confused with mine considering mine's history book style and with the PDM mod.

I hope you can complete yours to 1936 and make your Chile as good as my Chile. Good luck!

I've actually messaged the mods asking to change the title because someone else pointed this out to me.

Last edited:

JKuilDi.png

Situation in South America before the War of the Pacific:
aWRZM44.jpg

The War of the Pacific: June 1937-August 1938
b2ZQonA.jpg

I quickly mobilise. Brazil and Paraguay both agree to join the war. I march my armies into Bolivia and begin occupation. Almost immediately, Brazil signs a peace treaty with Colombia.
X9QwFsV.jpg

We finish our research on Mechanised Mining. I move onto researching Introspectionism, not because I’m advocating our citizens to get involved with culture (*scoff*), but because of its benefits to reinforcements. We may need that soon.
zdrnObT.jpg

We win the siege of Antofagasta and move on north. A Chilean army of 5 moves into our occupied territory, but I'll deal with that later.
Go2Q6DQ.jpg

And we win another siege. Things are looking our way, but unfortunately I am regretting bringing the Brazilians in. They are refusing to move their armies as nearly the whole Bolivian army marches at them.
Or8mJTq.jpg

We march down towards the army of 5 and win the battle. I move on to besiege another territory, when suddenly a Peruvian army appears. I request military access from Argentina so I can take them out, and they accept. I march towards them.
cg8SAfu.jpg

The Battle of Salta was hard-fought, but unfortunately the Chileans were not as organised as their Peruvian counterparts, and they won. Meanwhile, a Bolivian army that is now bigger than ours begins to march towards our occupied territory. The same occupied territory that our army is marching into.
UtTaVCp.jpg

As opposed to our previous battle, the battle of Antofagasta was over before it began. We lose and run back to Chile.
w7usAfi.jpg

Argentina ask for military access, which I give them. Maybe they’ll beat back the Peruvian-Bolivian problem. Or maybe not. Our army is now weak and disgraced, completely disorganised, whilst the Bolivians and the Peruvians are right at our border besieging all our occupied territory.
ncpOr6W.jpg

Antofagasta is lost. Calama is to follow. We’re doom... Wait. Look at this. LOOK AT THIS! WHAT THE HELL?
HHz1IKT.jpg

WE WON! WE WON THE WAR! HOW? Oh. It was Paraguay.
Apparently whilst we were panicking at home, Paraguay occupied nearly all of eastern Bolivia, and had almost reached Peru. My two enemies must have gotten scared that if Paraguay signed a separate peace they’d lose almost all of their land, and so negotiated with me, and my whole alliance.

The War of the Pacific

Situation in South America after the War of the Pacific:
bvk1Q08.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
So, what have I learnt, the newbie that I am?
Well, first: ally with the Paraguayans. They will win you your wars.
Next: Play it more defensive, and don’t attack over mountains. Make sure your armies have as much organisation as possible, and do not fight anyone with full organisation if you have anything less than that.
Also: Keep a constant check on your allies and your warscore. Add wargoals if you have enough warscore: I could’ve gotten more than I did if the Paraguayans kept it up.

If anyone else has anything else to add, I'll be happy to listen.

You changed the title? Awww...

Paraguay was historically in the mid-19th century strong enough to take on Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay at the same time and kinda win for a little while before being utterly destroyed. In Vic2 they really do tend to be stronger than you'd think they could be.

Better luck next time, though. You still have almost 45 more years to beat IRL Chile in taking those northern provinces.

You changed the title? Awww...

Paraguay was historically in the mid-19th century strong enough to take on Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay at the same time and kinda win for a little while before being utterly destroyed. In Vic2 they really do tend to be stronger than you'd think they could be.

Better luck next time, though. You still have almost 45 more years to beat IRL Chile in taking those northern provinces.

Sorry. Kinda thought I had to. Ah well.

In re Paraguay: Interesting. Glad I got an alliance with them.

Next update should be up tomorrow.