• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tantalos_dk

Recruit
25 Badges
Dec 14, 2009
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
Like all fans I am excited that Paradox had started developing HOI 4. I have a few suggestions I hope Paradox will take into consideration. It could be great if there was an opportunity of using intelligence on the map, not only for common information, but also to conduct clandestine warfare.

Spies
In peacetime it should be easy to determine properties of other countries´ provinces, especially when it comes to infrastructure, industrial capacity and major naval- and airbases. Just as when you tab on one of your own provinces. But for some reason you can not rely on spies and traitors so there should be a few errors in the data.

I will suggest that it should also be possible to point at a unit or province and allocate spies to find the number and types of brigades, aircraft or ships stationed there, and what commander is in charge of a certain unit, and his skills. The data must be tagged with a date and be visible on the map, it should not be changed before new data is provided.

At the same time it would be nice, if spies could be given the task of providing information on a contrys devolepment in new equitment e.g. a bombers range, speed and payload.

Special Forces
There are many examples of Special Forces used in ww2. I don´t think of ordinary Marines and paratroopers but more like Brandenburgere (Germany), Z-Special unit (Australia), Decima flottiglia Mas (Italy), SAS and SBS (England) and others.
I don´t want to see them in the game as ordinary brigades, more like an attachment to e.g. an army H.Q. from where they can perform clandestine operations within the H.Q. optimal range.

The operations should only be done on rare ocasions and be delayed a week or to after the decision, just to simulate carefull planning. The operation should be possible from the first day of the war. When a province is attacked there should be different choices:

1) You can prevent Brigades to take part in the defense (Roads are mined, road signs are turned, and false orders are given. Done by the Brandenburgers during the battle of the Ardennes).

2) You can attack provinces next to rivers without or with little river attack penalty. (Take the bridges just before the attack like the Brandenburgere did in the Netherlands 1940).

3) Destroy airplanes on ground in provinces with low infrastructure. (Like England’s long range desert patrol in Africa).

4) Attack transport in harbors, and convoys in ports of origin. If the minisub is developed it should be possible to attack warships e.g. heavy cruisers and battleships. (Decima flottiglia Mas attacked Queen Elizabeth and Valiant. British frogmen attacked Tirpitz).

Special Forces must take losses due to: exposure (bad luck), the experience of the brigades in the area and the alertness of the enemy in the area. If there has been an earlier infantry- or Special Forces attack in the region, the defending brigades in this region and the region next to it, should be alerted for some time. The tactical use of Special Forces would either be individual attack spreading out over a great distance or a number of attacks at the same time in the same region.

Just some thoughts

The Problem with special forces is that they weren't used in anything that would justify brigade-, regiment-, battalion or anything size.
If I remember correctly, the amount of SAS people used in Africa was very small (>100)

I think if you had an equipment pool in divisions for special forces in a similar fashion to CKII retinues. It could enhance certain special abilities perhaps?

I think training special force units and not representing them on the map, but rather having them as attachments or 'storing' them off-map like nuclear weapons in HOI3, is a very good idea. I suppose it would be a bit like the Covert Ops points in HOI3, only they wouldn't be tied to a specific target country (although I think covert ops are a good system, you can say it simulates sending moles and spies, contacting and training local partisans, etc. in the target country).

I hope they do find a way to represent special forces well. I WANT MA SAS

The Problem with special forces is that they weren't used in anything that would justify brigade-, regiment-, battalion or anything size.
If I remember correctly, the amount of SAS people used in Africa was very small (>100)

Well they did operate as battalions and regiments but rarely fought as such in one tactical location. The odd operations were around the Normandy landings where battalion sized drops and infiltration occurred but otherwise most special forces were dispersed in various smaller contingents during the war.
Then again there's quite a difference between the various special teams such as SOE and semi regular commandos/special-forces such as SAS, SBS, Rangers etc.

I think training special force units and not representing them on the map, but rather having them as attachments or 'storing' them off-map like nuclear weapons in HOI3, is a very good idea. I suppose it would be a bit like the Covert Ops points in HOI3, only they wouldn't be tied to a specific target country (although I think covert ops are a good system, you can say it simulates sending moles and spies, contacting and training local partisans, etc. in the target country).

If they did do such a thing, hopefully there would be a chance of catastrophic losses to those assets. Sometimes when things went wrong they went very wrong, like the northern of the two Commando units assigned to the flanks of Dieppe.