• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Druplesnubb

Lt. General
43 Badges
May 14, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka
  • Imperator: Rome
I've read that there was a group of Catholics heretics in the HRE who allowed polygamy, but I can't remember their names. Does anyone here know what they were called and whether they existed during the CK2 timeframe? If so, do you think they should be added to the game?

I've read that there was a group of Catholics heretics in the HRE who allowed polygamy, but I can't remember their names. Does anyone here know what they were called and whether they existed during the CK2 timeframe? If so, do you think they should be added to the game?

Mormonism.

The Celtic Church in Ireland did, but they weren't a heresy.

I am not so sure that Celtic Church is current usage or a good usage. It was a term coined by some nineteenth century church of Ireland scholars. One reason is that the an Iron cultural and linguistic category, a cultural influence not an influx, Q-Celtic in respect of the language, just doesn't seem the right way to class a religious category from 1000 years later. Liturgical uses differed considerably even where Latin had been spoken. Also while polygamy was a feature of Irish society, it was not preferred, the preference being for two spouses of fairly equal standing, as with Late Roman Law, 'lánamnas comthinchuir,' a marriage of joint income. It could be an idea to allow polygamy in some more societies, like on island of Ireland, at the cost of some piety.

I am not so sure that Celtic Church is current usage or a good usage. It was a term coined by some nineteenth century church of Ireland scholars. One reason is that the an Iron cultural and linguistic category, a cultural influence not an influx, Q-Celtic in respect of the language, just doesn't seem the right way to class a religious category from 1000 years later. Liturgical uses differed considerably even where Latin had been spoken. Also while polygamy was a feature of Irish society, it was not preferred, the preference being for two spouses of fairly equal standing, as with Late Roman Law, 'lánamnas comthinchuir,' a marriage of joint income. It could be an idea to allow polygamy in some more societies, like on island of Ireland, at the cost of some piety.

I'm merely employing common usage, I don't mean to justify that use.

The cáin lánamhnas does list quite a lot of options, but I'm not sure it lists a preference. I do imagine lánamnas ferthinchair was reasonably common too. In the vast majority of cases, I don't imagine polygamy was feasible. That, however, was more to do with economics than preference or religious devotion. Where polygamy was prevalent however, and this can be seen from genealogies as well as the Bansenchas, was among the noble classes, so I do think it should be tolerated in a game that focuses more on that section of society. Someone once suggested that members of the "Celtic" rite should have a trait. Perhaps that should make those with that trait, religious or otherwise, lack a malus when it comes to polygamous characters or characters with concubines. But a piety penalty or malus would apply to everyone else.

Protestantism

The Only Thing I can find even remotely similar to what your describing (A Christian Heresy that allowed Polygamy in the HRE) are the Free Spirit Heretics. But they weren't Polygamous (At least I didn't read anything about that), they where just within the boundaries of the HRE at the time. However, since the Free Spirit Christians believed that as long as they served God they could not Sin, it is possible they could have had Polygamous members.

The Catholic Church semi-tolerated polygamy for quite some time amongst the Franks until the time around Charlemagne. The Church tolerated rulers having concubines and children are allowed to inherit land from their fathers.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason as to why Indian rulers only get concubines, rather than additional wives?

Can you list examples?

I've not read much about polygamy in Christian Scandinavia, for instance.
In Sweden pretty much every ruler up unto the late 17th century had concubines refered to as "frillor", they had certain rights according to law, their children had a right to limited inheritance and child support from the father. When it comes to the frillor of kings they were often themselves noble but of a lower station within the nobility and their children were all given the noble name of Gyllenhielm (golden helmet), Gustav Vasa produced 9 members for house Gyllenhielm iirc and his sons kept producing more :p. Frillor existed in all parts of society but the special rights of frillor compared to mistresses was removed from the lawbook in 1734.

When it came to princes the practice of frillor was also often refered to as "föräktenskap" (pre-marriage) as they acted as the wife of the prince until he was to marry a wife of suitable standing for political or economical reasons.

Protestantism

As a Protestant I can assure you that this is not the case. We're quite into the idea of monogamy.

Also, not within the timeline of the game. The OP is asking for one within the timeline.

I know mormons do, but is there any other group that does?
Besides its kinda out of the games timeframe.

To contribute to the thread, i have no idea but it would be awesome to practice polygamy as the HRE.

Mormons are not considered Christians by the majority of Protestants, for a lot of reasons.