• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vicar of Christ

Major
62 Badges
Sep 18, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Hello,

The HRE emperor Austria is tied up in two war so Provence is eyeing for a opportunistic land grab while the truce with France is cooling off. Even if Austria is not a position to intervene... better be save than sorry. My target, Savoy, is actually at war with Austria. Will Austria join a war with me to defend the HRE member under attack if it is at war with it?

Also, I got a claim on Savoy capital via event. Normally you can't fabricate claim on the capital itself so I'm wondering, since I have a claim and its going to be the war goal, will it let me take the capital even if the province is not isolated from the others?

Thanks

A nation cannot simultaneously be on the same and on the opposing side of a nation at war. If you attack the nation the Emperor is at war with, they can't defend them.

And no, you cannot take a nation's capital + anything else unless you are fully annexing them, and you still can't annex only a non-isolated capital even if you get a claim on it.

Will Austria join a war with me to defend the HRE member under attack if it is at war with it?
No, it won't. It can of course call unlawful territory if neither you nor Austria is at war while you haven't finished coring your gains.

since I have a claim and its going to be the war goal, will it let me take the capital even if the province is not isolated from the others?
No, it won't. Byzantium starts in a similar situation with even having a core on the Ottoman capital of Edirne.

another tactic is to enforce peace if austria is involved in offensive war. When you get into that war through enforce peace, you can declare on *any* hre member at will, and then peace out of the first war..

Gamey yes, but it is ideal to grab electors.

another tactic is to enforce peace if austria is involved in offensive war. When you get into that war through enforce peace, you can declare on *any* hre member at will, and then peace out of the first war..

Wait, are you sure this works? Because I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to declare war on an HRE member if you're in the same war as the emperor, on either side. Unless of course that ban is somehow broken through enforce peace, which would be very gamey yes, though useful.

You can't attack the HRE if you're in a war with or against the Emperor. If you're an HRE member, you can't start a war within a month's time of the emperor going to war, either.

You can't attack the HRE if you're in a war with or against the Emperor. If you're an HRE member, you can't start a war within a month's time of the emperor going to war, either.

I was wrong then yes, but i'm pretty sure i somehow did it through enforcing peace at some point..

Maybe by sending two diplomats to enforce peace on same day? One for a war austria is involved in.. One when electors are in offensive war, and send the two diplomats on same day...? Or dow on same day as enforcing peace? Enforcing peace does not put you into the war directly, until day after right? I should try out how i did it, and if they patched it i guess.

I was wrong on the "declare on any HRE member at will" part, i'm sorry for that.

Last edited: