• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to the second dev diary for Europa Universalis 4: Art of War. Today, a look at a new way to handle vassals, how we're changing revolts and a sneak peek at how the Persian map is being transformed.

Marches
Marches are a new type of subject that can be created from existing vassals. By designating your vassal as a March, you are giving that vassal greatly expanded autonomy in exchange for greater military service. A March does not pay taxes to its Overlord and cannot be diplomatically annexed. However, they get a 25% bonus to manpower, a 30% bonus to force limits and have 20% better fort defense, making them useful as military buffers against enemy states, or when you simply need additional soldiers more than you need the income from those territories. March status can be retracted, but doing so results in a stability hit and a very large opinion penalty with the vassal whose autonomy you just revoked.

Unrest & Rebels

The old system of revolt risk, with a chance of rebels spawning in a province by random chance every month has gone the way of the dodo. It was a system that has served us well through many versions of Europa Universalis, but we think we have something better.

The new concept reflecting unhappy subjects is called unrest. Unrest in a province will affect how quickly regiments and ships can be recruited there, but it has no direct impact on your economy, since we've introduced Local Autonomy to cover that side of the ledger.

Every province is aligned with one possible rebel faction. Each month, every province has a chance (depending on its unrest level) to see an increase in the progress of an uprising from the local rebels. When the progress reaches 100%, the faction rises up in revolt with as many stacks it has support for, and the unrest is reduced in those provinces - they have expressed their anger through arms and it's up to you to put them down.

Because unrest can happen anywhere, building courthouses and employing theologians is now a good strategy to reduce general unrest, not to mention adopting a few policies to placate the masses. The old tyrannical standby of Harsh Treatment now targets rebel factions instead of provinces and reduces the progress towards an uprising from that faction at a cost in MIL points, scaled to the size of this particular rebel faction. This change means we should get less micromanagement and more direct control of popular satisfaction in the hands of the player.

There is also no longer a distinction between accepted and enforced demands from successful rebellions. A rebel faction's demands are always the same.

In a more positive change, any Rebels that are friendly to you, either through culture or support will lift Fog of War for you.

Persia
Last week, we dove into the doubling of Indian provinces. Another region that has seen substantial changes in our great map overhaul is Greater Persia and the Caucasus.
In 1444 this region is to a large extent split between the still sort of impressive empire of Timur's descendants in the east and the rising Qara Qoyunlu empire in the west. Just like in the last dev diary, the diversity of the region means that it's perhaps best to go over its various parts in turn.

The Caucasus:

attachment.php

In the time depicted by EU4, the rugged Caucasus will be the border line between the Turkish, Persian and eventually Russian Empires. Throughout all of this, the valleys and the slopes of these mountains are home to a number of different peoples and states attempting to preserve their independence against hungry neighbours.
In order to portray the independent nature and resilience of the area, a new Caucasian culture group has been added to the game. Apart from the familiar Armenian and Georgian cultures, this new group is also made up of the newly introduced Circassian and Dagestani cultures. The tag and province setups have been revised accordingly.

New Tags:
  • Imereti: Small kingdom that can appear in western Georgia (or in late start dates). Historically, this state became part of the Ottoman sphere of influence in Georgia.
  • Circassia: Small Orthodox tribal monarchy in the northern Caucasus representing the various minor states there. This is the primary tag for provinces of Circassian culture.
  • Gazikumukh: A small Shiite kingdom in the northeastern Caucasus. This is the primary tag for provinces of Dagestani culture.

Western Persia:

attachment.php

While entirely locked in the struggle between the Timurid and Qara Qoyunlu empires in 1444, Western Persia is soon going to be the site of the rise of the Qizilbash and the birth of the Safavid Empire. This region is defined by densely populated valleys with a strong urban Persian culture, both of which the map can now portray in a better way in terms of borders and province density.
As in the Caucasus, including more provinces also allows us to include some of the smaller players in the region.

New Tags:
  • Tabaristan: A small kingdom along the southern coast of the Caspian sea. Primary tag for the new Mazandarani culture.
  • Ardalan: A small Kurdish kingdom in the Zagros mountains.

Khorasan and Baluchistan

attachment.php

Where western Persia is dominated by mountain ranges and rich valleys, Eastern Persia is a region of mountain ranges and deserts. Due to the much harsher climate, most of Khorasan would often be incorporated into surrounding empires unless these were too weak to control the vast area. The even more inhospitable Baluchistan would remain independent, divided into various tribal entities, for most of the period covered by the game.
The greater number of provinces here primarily means that conquering and traversing this region isn't going to be as easy as it was prior to AoW and will also mean that the revolts that historically started in this area will be a bit harder to put down.

Afghanistan

attachment.php

Home to thriving cities such as Herat and Kabul, Afghanistan is richer and more influential than the rest of Eastern Persia. During the period covered by EU4, states such as the Mughal or the Durrani empires used this region as a jumping off point to successfully to expand into India or Persia.
The AoW map accentuates the role of Afghanistan as a good base for expansion and a gateway between east and west. In order to show the importance of the Khyber and Bolan passes as routes into India, a wasteland province has also been added to represent the Suleiman mountain range in eastern Afghanistan.

Attachments

• afghanistan.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 59.163
  • khorasan.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 57.726
  • westernpersia.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 59.659
  • caucasus.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 64.208
Will a March type subject receive the same HRE-election bonuses as a regular vassal? That can be a quite an interesting option, making Brandenburg a March (irony that it originally was a march) to both receive Elector support in HRE and have a nice Prussian vassal army to help in wars.
I already did it in my recent Poland game, but with March bonuses it will be even more effective :)

Last edited:
"There is also no longer a distinction between accepted and enforced demands from successful rebellions. A rebel faction's demands are always the same."

God. Thank you paradox for making rebels usefull. Now I see why you claim WCs will no longer be possible. Breaking truces and stacking overextension now will be punished.

Great dev diary, looking forward to the expansion, and unrest seems to be a generally good change. As Lakedaimon wrote:

So basically more of a vicky2 system for rebels? Love it!

The likeness to Vicky 2 was my first thought as well. However, I must admit that in my humble opinion the Vicky 2 rebel system is not that great. Painfully microintensive yet mostly unthreatening rebellions - this changed a little bit in HoD, when it seemed to me that rebellions became more of a threat - where all of Siberia is suddenly full of communist rebel stacks (if you pass enough social reforms, they may be replaced by reactionary rebel stacks) which are modest in size, but are absolutely freaking everywhere. While the uprisings start out pretty rare, it turns into a never-ending spiral by the late game (of course, I may be playing the game wrong, and this can be avoided, but I must admit I don't think this is the explanation). Of course the problem may be caused by some features of Vicky 2 that will not be present in EUIV despite a superficially similar rebel-system. Like the people's excessive love of communism, which makes one wonder whether paradox hopes to market Vicky 2 in North Korea (just a friendly joke), or the fact that radicalized minorities can spawn massive rebellions even when the general population is content.

Anyway, the point is not to complain about Vicky 2, which is still the best damn game paradox ever made - and any game that is better than CKII and EUIV is pretty damn good - despite the annoying rebels and other minor flaws. The point is that I would hate to see rebellions in the form of empire-wide uprisings of 3-regiment stacks in 50+ provinces.

So I guess my question are these:
1. How centralized will Rebellions be? Will every province that has contributed progress to the "uprising" of a rebel-faction have a rebellion, when the unrest reaches 100 %? (I hope not). Or will they combine to form a smaller number of larger stacks (much better)?
2. How is the alignment of a particular province with a particular rebel faction determined? - Is it just the rebel-faction that currently is listed as "the most likely type of rebels" (or something similar), when you hover the revolt-risk of a province? I guess that would be okay.
3. You write that "the faction rises up with as many regiments as it has to support it" - what determines the number of regiments, any changes there?

Looking forward to the expansion.

The rebels do not revolt all over, they will rise in a few large stacks (total size depending on how many provinces support them).

"There is also no longer a distinction between accepted and enforced demands from successful rebellions. A rebel faction's demands are always the same."

God. Thank you paradox for making rebels usefull. Now I see why you claim WCs will no longer be possible. Breaking truces and stacking overextension now will be punished.
I think it's a combo. I don't think it's just local autonomy and unrest, it's also the greater number of provinces. Right now there are large parts of the world that you need to conquer or vassalize. And you can only vassalize so many countries before you hit a limit (which is your DIP generation - I say DIP generation because they will probably plug the "conquer without spending DIP points" bug).
So you can inherit CNs and protectorate Indian/Chinese/Sub Saharan/NA/MA/SA - without paying monarch points.
But everything else will cost MPs.

Because they increased the number of provinces I think you can reach a point where mathematically you just cannot generate enough MP to conquer/vassalize the provinces you need to control for WC, disregarding how you can to control them (either through ADM or DIP).

Europe is already extremely expensive and the main focus on conquest during a WC. Now the Middle East will be comparable. Those MP will be strained to the limit, at least! :)

The rebels do not revolt all over, they will rise in a few large stacks (total size depending on how many provinces support them).

That was the answer I hoped to hear. Thank you.

Another question. In the dev diary you write this:

There is also no longer a distinction between accepted and enforced demands from successful rebellions. A rebel faction's demands are always the same.

As others in this thread I like this change. There was always something odd about nationalist rebels literally being the least threatening rebels in the game, because accepting their demands had such trivial consequences (unless you are a 2PM of course). However, I now wonder, why I would ever negotiate with any rebels - especially nationalists? - What do I stand to gain if the consequences of a negotiated settlement is just the same as outright losing? Maybe negotiating settlements should actually make you gain prestige - or at least lose less prestige than rebels enforcing their demands. After all you lose less face by negotiating than you do by obviously getting beat up.

I'm wondering has the religious make-up of Iran changed? In the current version most Iran's Persian cultue provinces are Shiite, this is actually just wrong. At the game's start date the majority of Iran was still Sunni, with strong sufi influences and in many areas retaining large Zoroastrian minorities. Really the only Shiite provinces should be a few in the areas settled extensively by Turkish tribes, i.e. the Azerbaijani culture provinces. This situation changed with the rise of the Safavids who, upon conquering the country, converted to Twelver Shiism and proceeded to make a concentrated and organized effort to forcibly convert the entire country to that religion (the exception being Armenians and Jews who were allowed to keep their religion). Here is the wikipedia article on it if you want some basic info on the event http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safavid_conversion_of_Iran_to_Shia_Islam

So also in order to facilitate the rapid and complete conversion of the country if it starts out being Sunni, Persia could possibly be given access to a decision or something if it is Shiite and owns most of its cores or something that gives it greatly increased missionary chance, and an extra missionary or two for a limited time or something. Or something like that, I think it would especially fit in if you are modelling the rise of the Safavids and the Qizilbash (as you seem to be doing)

Details and balance pending, these sound like great changes!

I'm curious, though...is the harsh treatment button altogether gone now? I need to co-opt the button there for my mod =/

I like the new map and I'll probably keep a march or two around since vassal income is negligible and having vassals to carpet siege for me while I smash stacks is really convenient, and to these ends, a richer (not-taxed) vassal with more manpower is obviously beneficial to me. I'm thinking Poland might make a good march if I do another Hansa -> Prussia -> Germany game - they're big enough to be useful, but not so big as to be at risk of trying to go free, they have good NIs, and I can conquer around them to both the north and south.

New map is looking good. Please tell me all of these tags (and the other poor neglected countries) are getting ideas.

The new tags seem unlikely to get ideas, owing to how minor they are.

Whether or not Paradox adds more idea sets in a patch/expansion seems like a crapshoot though, so I s'pose we'll see.

Nice Reading as usual! :)

Will you increase the importance of diplomatic technology?

It would be nice if ignoring it had more of a significance than now. You have to mind your admin tech if you want new ideas, and mil tech if you want to win any battles, but dip tech is only needed if you need a bit of colony range, and only the first levels :(

Perhaps have it give more diplomatic or espionage options, relations and reputation? Or make it more necessary for naval operations, like mil tech is for armies.

The new rebel system reminds me of Vic 2's rebels, which is a good thing.

When the HRE revokes the privilegia can they just set every single HRE state as a march and go hog wild?

I like the idea of a march but I'll probably find the life-long commitment due to not being able to diplo-annex a bit of a deal breaker. Borders and rivals change; I doubt I would still want that Rhinelander march kicking around when I've subjugated France (especially if it gets in the way of the holy war CB).

You can remove the march status, but it cost stability and relations.

However, I now wonder, why I would ever negotiate with any rebels - especially nationalists? - What do I stand to gain if the consequences of a negotiated settlement is just the same as outright losing?
Because one of the ways in which you can outright lose is by being broken by rebels - and when you get broken, all rebels who have occupied at least one province enforce their demands.