• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ Ticket thanks

Operations August 41- April 42

The French attack into Eupen is successful, but General Guderian's forces withdraw in good order and prepare a counter-attack. Air power is again proving decisive and we are able to bleed French forces with timely bombing strikes and constant harassment of supplies from the air. However, an ill-planned attack into Luxembourg accomplishes nothing and is a waste of precious men and material.
z0tN3OF.png

The distraction in Eupen allows General von Kluge to sweep into Metz and push out a significant French force. As always though, it's a messy affair with both sides taking heavy casualties.
7C40xow.png
H3dowBK.png

In the East, the German forces pull out, leaving allied units to mop up the Romanians and push back against the Turks in Southern Bulgaria, a task at which they perform surprisingly well. By mid-winter Bulgarian, Serbian, and Hungarian troops, under overall Polish command, push the Turks out of Xanthi and back to a fortified line along the pre-war borders. Meanwhile, we quietly take over administration of Ukraine, freeing frontline Polish troops to move into the Balkans and the Alps.
YveR6yp.png
rwfz5iB.png

The Italian front line is slowly creeping Northward. Though German and Austrian troops give good accounts of themselves, Syndicalist numbers are too much and allied forces slowly fall back
kTyQCPY.png

In October our counter-attack into Eupen again forces the French out and inflicts heavy casualties in a largely one-sided affair. German armor proves decisive.
7s1iyRd.png

Before we can celebrate the French counter-attack to the South into the Saarland...
8VRdx9z.png

Which we again hold off at great cost.

With the Ukraine question solved the Russian Empire turns East to reclaim Siberia. Counter to our predictions they actually reach an agreement with the Japanese. Although not official, a reproachment between those two powers at such a critical time could be disastrous for our interests. All diplomatic efforts must be made to placate the Russians, and barring that, to prolong the Asian quagmire.
kIkIYzd.png

German agents in Vietnam begin infiltrating over the border into China to insight unrest, hoping to bog down the Japanese there and delay any moves against us.
Wn39pdd.png

However, the Japanese do not seem to disturbed by these measures and on the 5th of December, 1941 declare war on Mongolia, the final piece in their trans-Asiatic link.
JaxM5Ld.png

While Patrolling the English Channel, our strike group happens upon the brand new British carrier Indomitable and sends her to the bottom. Though the land campaign is is a knock-down-drag-out affair, the Reichsmarine is still the unquestioned master of the seas.
FDMGKvC.png

As further confirmation of that dominance, German naval bombers again strike the British port of Manchester, crippling two more capital ships.
MboNvDr.png

Intelligence reports the British are down to around twelve capital ships and only one aircraft carrier, down from pre-war estimates of 50+ Reports of large-scale fighting in the Atlantic against American and Canadian navies have likely shrunk that number even further.

A mid-winter German offensive back into Belgium proves initially successful but is short lived. A French counter-attack forces General Bergman's army back out of Liege, and shatters the General Staff's hope for a line along the Meuse by early spring. The overly ambitious plan leads to a changes in High command. Ludwig Beck is sacked and replaced with the more conservative Adolph Heusinger who plans to remain defensive in the West and focus on driving back the Turks and Italians
s6qMb7J.png

The battles of early 1942 are turning out to be even more deadly than those of the previous year. Liege alone leaves nearly 400,000 dead and wounded and Strasburg quickly escalates from a diversionary attack to the largest battle of the war, with over a million troops participating on each side. Casualties mount faster than ever as longer ranged artillery and advanced models of tanks and aircraft appear in greater numbers for both sides. More French offensives into Eupen, Luxembourg, and Strasbourg are all turned away but with severe losses. OKH estimates the French are growing desperate and this is their last gasp to gain strategic momentum before an anticipated Entente invasion.
g3L6IsZ.png

Though overshadowed by the chaos and bloodshed of the Western Front, several key events happen in the early months of 1942. First, German Africa Command, until now only garrison troops in Morocco and Suez, launches a daring attack on Spanish Gibraltar. The fortifications are heavily defended but airborne troops land on the Western side of the rock and cause considerable disarray until naval troops can relieve them. The result is a spectacular victory for German forces. Although the paratroopers sustained heavy casualties, the Straights are now open.
A81TkEz.png

Second, and perhaps even more important, is the ongoing German nuclear program. The University of Breslau, in Silesia, has been chosen as the site of a project which scientists hope will produce a bomb by late 1945.
iEZPIM6.png
mYi3AAR.png

For now though funding is limited due to the ongoing crisis in the West.

After the French Spring offensives the German army is in a sad state. Undermanned by almost 700,000 personnel, the tattered Army of the Rhine is in no position to mount counter-attacks. The only silver lining is that intelligence reports indicate the French are also drastically short on manpower. Perhaps the rest of 1942 with be a year of rest and recovery for both sides...
L8dJWE2.png
MIOlpBj.png

In the meantime operations to scrape together additional manpower are underway. Even after the invasion, many Ukrainians hate the Syndicalists even more than they do us an prove useful recruits. A few divisions are recruited from the local population; it is thought that additional conscription could lead to military ineffectiveness, but the option remains on the table.
Re4NCfj.png

Considering the devastation on both sides, high command is hopeful French operations will be limited for the next few months.
VVy1twT.png

Last edited:
Invest in modernizing your airforce, bomb them until their industry cease to exist, that way they won't be capable to reinforce their troops .

Invest in modernizing your airforce, bomb them until their industry cease to exist, that way they won't be capable to reinforce their troops .

I don't have any strategic bombers and making them would take a long time. My current plan is sit tight, defend, and wreck the Syndie Navies until the Entente rescues me or I get nukes. I'm also writing events for both sides to go to simulate various wartime measures to increase manpower but basically things can't continue as they have for either side

I don't have any strategic bombers and making them would take a long time. My current plan is sit tight, defend, and wreck the Syndie Navies until the Entente rescues me or I get nukes. I'm also writing events for both sides to go to simulate various wartime measures to increase manpower but basically things can't continue as they have for either side

With no manpower left there isn't so much to do, but you can intentionally give some land to the French army and then encircle then in bavaria, leave freiburg, let some of their divisions advance and then retake Freiburg and destroy 5,7, maybe 10 divisions

I'm not really trying to win so much as tell a narrative. If opportunities for encirclements develop I'll take advantage, but OKH definitely wouldn't approve letting the Syndies across the Rhine without a damn good reason.

Damn, the French lost almost 8.5 million soldiers? At this rate they won't have any fighting age population left in the whole country to face you! And over 5 million horses dead on both sides? Those numbers are crazy. :blink:

Damn, the French lost almost 8.5 million soldiers? At this rate they won't have any fighting age population left in the whole country to face you! And over 5 million horses dead on both sides? Those numbers are crazy. :blink:

If I'm not mistaken, those numbers aren't just dead but captured and wounded as well. Also keep in mind that I periodically increased French manpower to simulate Syndie volunteers from around the world. There might be about 3million "French" casualties that are actually American, Russian, Indian, Spanish, etc. Likewise maybe a million "German" casualties are conscripts from the Baltics, Ruthenia, and Ukrainian "volunteers"

The flower of a generation, lost.:(

Yay Mobius is commenting on my aar. In Defense of Freedom is sorta the inspiration for this but from the German perspective. Best aar ever in my humble opinion. But ya, France will be totally crushed post-war, even when all the African exiles come back. Just like OTL though, they'll probably get a security council seat thrown their way out of pity...

Last edited:
I haven't highlighted this but the US AI is drastically misbehaving. So far they've invaded the Belaerics, Corsica, Sardinia, abandoned them, allowed militias to take over. Also a ton of their airforce is deployed in Delhi bombing the commune there instead of in Africa, strat bombing Italy and Spain. Plus they keep invading behind Bhartiya Commune lines on the East coast of India and then getting wiped out..... grrrrr

I've cleaned up a lot of the language in previous posts, added some pictures, generally tried to make everything a little more explanatory and seamless.

Operations April-November 1942

April opens up with a Franco-Italian drive into the Alps. The Hungarian divisions holding the sector are recent transfers from the Turkish campaign hoping to recuperate. Though unprepared and undermanned, the give a good account of themselves before withdrawing East
t1mYtjq.png

Intelligence reports that the French manpower is stretched even further than ours. Their industrial capacity is plummeting whilst the conscript every able bodied man in France for what we hope is a last-ditch effort in the West. The French hurl themselves on our defenses at Strasburg yet again but are thrown back. Casualties like this are simply unsustainable for both sides.
pTMTgig.png

Though not done in the West, French attacks become sporadic and smaller-scale. Luxembourg is successfully defended, with casualties on the small side of 50,000 for the first time in years.
eqBMOvw.png
2oWGQTi.png
sczqef0.png

Guderian's tanks are again proving their worth and German air assets continue to rain death on the Frenchmen. For the beleaguered infantrymen on the ground, the intensive air campaign is a significant relief. Crews of bombers and ground attack aircraft are treated as heroes by their army brothers after returning from combat. Some pilots are flying as many as fifteen sorties a week as the Luftwaffe operates round-the-clock campaigns in northern France.

German pilots resting between missions: Metz, Germany. June, 1942
tumblr_n78t54v34Y1qc0pn9o1_1280.jpg

In Mid July the statement in the East finally seems to have broken. Allied forces break Turkish lines at Adrianople, cutting off several divisions. However the Turks continue to control the Black Sea and supply links are dutifully maintained, allowing the Turkish counter-attack to beat allied troops back.
TAnh6Cg.png

Bulgarian soldiers entering Adrianople. July, 1942
Bulgarian_soldiers_with_dead_Turkish_civilians_(Edirne).jpg

Another British bomber wing is scoured from the skies above the Fatherland. To Britain's credit, they are becoming bolder and learning to avoid our fighter traps, but the inclusion of older model planes, including converted naval bombers hints at their desperation.
QI8iyfP.png

The Syndies push even further into the Alps. German mountain divisions hold at Klagenfurt but Syndie numbers are telling. The Italians are not nearly as manpower starved as their French compatriots, and so it seems the axis of the entire war might be shifting to the Italian front.
Ui9yxQH.png

Off the South coast of Portugal, a German squadron ambushes a Spanish destroyer flotilla and sends most of the detachment to the bottom. The Syndie navies are mostly decimated, except for, ironically perhaps, the French Mediterranean fleet, which has spent the majority of the war pent up in Toulon.
z3iWx7x.png

Meanwhile, in the East, Russian troops have overrun Western China. It's only a matter of time until the Russians finish their conquests in the East and turn their attention towards us. The war must be finished as swiftly as possible...
n9XnfiE.png

In the Balkans, a combined allied assault finally reaches the gates of Istanbul in late August and the first of several assaults on the city begins.
ZB8fJZV.png

Although thrown back three more times, the city finally falls to allied forces in late September, clearing the straights and essentially eliminating Turkey as a viable threat for the foreseeable future.
UjKGXh5.png

Last edited:
Shortest update ever.:D

Hope the update isn't lost.:)

The ethernet on my desktop died as I was uploading photos. I'm happy it kept as much as it did. Also, I've been playing Wargame which is making me want to do a Soviet campaign...

I've never seen Turkey do anything, they apparently realize they've been whipped most of the time.

Updates within the next couple days. Finally fixed my desktop ethernet so I can upload screenshots. April-November 1942 is going to be garbled until I can figure out the correct order for screenshots since the play time was almost 3 months ago, I don't have an accurate memory of the order of events and re-sizing the screens to be acceptable file size for imgur cuts of the dates. Thanks for the subs!

@Nike: Although the record doesn't show it, Turkey was doing quite well for a while and had almost annexed Bulgaria until Ukraine collapsed and we were able to transfer forces there.