• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For the first time in Roman history, a woman ascended the throne.
This statement is false. Irene was a Roman Empress. It was because of her that the Romans lost legitimacy as true Romans in the eyes of the West. Roman law states a woman cannot rule.

Chapter 34: Just bring it!

fB7Pfq9.jpg

Hamelin, the noble was in trouble. His attempts to destabllise the Empire via sponsoring the Chosen had been unveiled. He had to run. As he prepared to leave his German quarters in the cover of night, he was shocked to see that his guards were slain. He turned around to see a few stout foreigners before him. His game was up.

"Indians? From the East Indian company? The German princes will not tolerate such an intrusion in their territories," Hamelin defiantly stated.

The leader, a Roman officer spoke first. He firstly clarified that the men were Gurkhas, and not Indians. Secondly, their presence was covert. Before the officer could continue with his third point, Hamelin opened his robed to reveal that he was carrying a bomb vest.

"Death to Rome!" he yelled as he reached for his detonator. In half a second, Bhanbhagta grabbed the noble by the neck and snapped it with a single flick of his wrist. The officer was impressed. How did he moved that fast? Sure, the Gurkhas were one of the best warriors he had ever seen, yet Bhanbhagta seemed to defy all human limitations.

2xAxi8J.jpg

Travelling back with his Gurkha team, the officer commented that the Gurkhas were extremely loyal to the Empire. Empress Theodora was famed for her xenophobia, most evident by her recent actions against the Jain monks.

cfYZbS7.jpg

Bhanbhagta replied in his limted Greek, pointing out that it was the Empress who had generously given them a regular paycheck. With the money, they had irrigated their homeland, fed their families and built schools for their young. Furthermore, Empress Theodora was fair. She had punished the loyal Varangian Guard when they had fallen out of line.

FnhlVRf.jpg

"Few rulers are as meritocratic as her," ended another Gurkha, who had pointed out that they had accomplished things beyond their dreams since they had enlisted.

The officer nodded to acknowledge his comment. He recalled that the Gurkhas' reputation rocketed at the Battle of Bourmerdes. Despite being outnumbered, the Gurkhas fought bravely with their famed blades called the khukuri. When things became bleak, the officer had witnessed Bhanbhagta leading a team of twenty to slaughter his way through an encirclement. Many of the men had fallen to arrow fire, but the officer watched in amazement as an arrow bounced off Bhanbhagta's skin. There was something special about this Gurkha.

With that victory, the province of Africa was secured.

KtPtQzd.jpg

Z5HdjA9.jpg

sYGy6lk.jpg

Upon arrival at base camp, the officer received a dispatch. Some Gurkhas were to join the Varangian Guards to be part of the royal bodyguard. Knowing which way the wind was blowing, the Empress now put the hope of Rome into the hands of the Gurkhas.

ljiiJer.jpg

The Empire in 1175

• 1Like
Reactions:
Irene was a Roman Empress. It was because of her that the Romans lost legitimacy as true Romans in the eyes of the West. Roman law states a woman cannot rule.
It was more that Pope Leo III took the opportunity of Empress Eriene's tenure on the throne to proclaim that the Roman throne was empty and crown Charles, King of the Franks, as the first Carolingian "Roman" emperor.

As it happened, in our timeline, there were only three Byzantine empresses regnant, Eirene of Athens and the two queens of the Macedonian dynasty, Zoe Porphyrogenita and her sister Theodora.

I wasn't aware they had suicide bombers back in that day. I suppose the involvement of time travellers has really messed up the timeline. :p

If you have this kind of technology now, I wonder what kind of tech you might have if you ever played to Victoria II?

The Gurkha is from Krypton?

Various people seem to be genetic superhumans for unrevealed reasons.

the Empire is in Hispania! what did I miss?

Chapter 35: Black Swan Event

After giving birth to Princess Maria, Empress Theodora was gravely ill. None of the Imperial physicians could detect the problem and there were emergency plans to prepare Princess Maria as the new Empress. The Chief Physician, a German called Luther was busy studying the results of a recent blood test when the Gurkhas lumbered in. They had heard that the Empress were in danger, and like loyal guards, they rushed their way into the bedroom. They had just returned from the Battle of Ankotakka that allowed the Empire to expand further into India.

R0mHbP9.jpg

lszkduX.jpg

"You cannot enter!" the German demanded. Quickly scanning the Empress, Bhanbhagta remarked that there was nothing wrong with the Empress's blood. Doctor Luther was offended. What did these uneducated tribesmen know about advanced medicine that was introduced by the Illuminati?

Pointing out that the Empress Theodora's ribs were misaligned, Bhanbhagta suggested their liege was suffering from internal bleeding. Despite being irritated, Luther realised that the Gurkha was correct. Immediate surgery was soon carried out, and Empress Theodora's condition soon stabilised.

But Dr Luther was far from done. Angrily, he confronted one of the Varangian Guard at the door.

"Didn't the Empress call these heathens 'works of Satan'? Why did you let them pass you?"

oVL4ARw.jpg

One of the Norsemen nodded, and revealed a broken dagger. He had attempted to stab one of the Gurkhas to prevent them from passing, but his blade snapped into two.

"I fought beside Gurkhas before. They are as tough as nails, but that one Gurkha had impregnable skin. I never met another like him," finished the Norseman.

"A man who cannot be pierced? I haven't heard such nonsense since ..."

Suddenly it made sense to Luther. Excusing himself, he went straight to the Illuminati archives. Pulling out an old sketch, Dr Luther finally deduced the true identity of Bhanbhagta.

LSNNieD.jpg

Bhanbhagta might have been clean-shaven, but there not no doubt that he was Clark of Kent. This greatly vexed Luther. What could have made Clark assume another identity? What made him sought solace among the Gurkhas? Was it a ruse? This was a black swan event that would challenge the hope of Rome.

c0YF7sL.jpg

The Empire in 1184

• 1Haha
Reactions:
So Clark's invulnerable skin, super-strength etc., is also coupled with longevity and (presumably) the ability to alter his appearance. He is indeed impressive.

Is this on Ironman (with Achievements)?

Chapter 36: A mysterious stone

"Vexed Luther," Clark, formerly known as Bhanbhagta, addressed Dr Luther by his nickname. Dr Luther hated that name. Nevertheless, he had to entertain the Empress's favourite subject.

"Why do you call me so?" Dr Luther replied.

"Forgive me, all the men call you so -- you always look unhappy and stressed. If I had known it bothered you so much, I would refrain from that name," Clark apologised. Dr Luther ignored him. Despite successfully negotiating land south of Hadrian's wall from Scotland, Dr. Luther still looked unhappy.

bWJrGFS.jpg

"The reason I am 'vexed', my super soldier, is multiple. Firstly, you are evidence that not all men are created equal. No matter how hard any of us work, we will never be half as strong or you are."

Luther was also worried about his recent findings.. Based on his research in Gurkha villages, it was revealed that a wounded Clark was found by the Gurkhas many years ago. He had a spear impaled in his chest, lost his memory and was closed to death. The villagers was kind enough to retrieve the spearhead for him. The blade was unimpressive. How did it pierced the skin of Clark?

IOlG3Z8.jpg

What army had successfully countered the capes? So far, Rome had not heard of such an army. Dr Luther had heard of rumblings from the East, but Clark did not remember heading East beyond India. As Clark approached the German doctor to recount his adventures, he suddenly fell to his knees.

Concerned, Dr Luther helped Clark to his feet. As he led the superhuman away from his work bench, he noted that Clark regained his strength. After leading Clark to the medical centre, Dr Luther went swiftly to his work. Scrapping away the outer layer of the stone spear head, a mysterious green crystal appeared.

6g57xRY.jpg

He had to contact the Illuminati. They finally found away to kill the capes.

BgoG8kA.jpg

The Empire in 1202

• 1Love
Reactions:
Why grab land as far north as Hadrien's Wall? You're not even in northern France yet.

It's probably inheritance.