• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
C

Calad

Hi.

NA = Native Americans.

Im thinking of buying CoP and to play NA. However there are close to zero discussion about them so should I assume NA are very badly designed, boring, not fun or not working at all?

They are very fun to play and can be very powerful (in the MP games I play they are forbidden because "OP" :D) but playing as Iroquois or Cheerokee offers the same experience, so you won't play all NA once ;)
I guess playing a OPM who can migrate is different from them, so you'll play 2-3 games with them I guess.
I don't remeber how much cost COP, but if you play NA and Colonial nations it should be worth :)

EDIT : I didn't play any non-wetern nation since 1.7, so i don't know how westernization is

They are very fun to play and can be very powerful (in the MP games I play they are forbidden because "OP" :D) but playing as Iroquois or Cheerokee offers the same experience, so you won't play all NA once ;)
I guess playing a OPM who can migrate is different from them, so you'll play 2-3 games with them I guess.
I don't remeber how much cost COP, but if you play NA and Colonial nations it should be worth :)

EDIT : I didn't play any non-wetern nation since 1.7, so i don't know how westernization is

Do you need CoP to migrate?

You need CoP to play NA. (I think, otherwise buying it would be useless)
As only NA can migrate, it would be hard to do it without COP :D
You don't need CoP to play as NA tribes, but you do need it to unlock their special mechanics. So yes, for migration, special buildings, government reform and native advancements, you do need CoP.

How it is broken?

It takes immensly long for them to westernize because of the amount of monarch points you need ( = save up ) in order to do so. Also for each 15 basetax that you have you'll will be drained one less monarch point from each power ( normally 10 admin / diplo / military - for every 15 monthly income it reduces that monarch point modifier though - so it's then 9, 8 , etc. ). On first sight this seems good because you don't lose as many but since you'll need 5000 this can mean that you advance very slowly in westernization. Which then in turn means additional high revolt risk and advisor costs for more than you'd imagine - also constant rebellions or religious unity problems if you choose to convert to the Christian faith group ( Catholic / Protestant / Reformed ). You always gain 3 times the monarch point drain, which would mean 30 ( 3x10 ) normally and reduced if you are above the abovementioned modifiers ( i.e. 3x9, 3x8 ... ).

The problem being here that it should reduce the monarch points drained for each 40(!) instead of 15 monthly income and that seems to be a bug currently. So you'll have it even more difficult than you should have. This can result in insanly high westernization processes. Let's say you have 75 monthly income until the colonial nations like Castile, Portugal and England arrive. You'd then be down to points 15 per month. So since you only spend 15 points on your 5000 limit, you'd have a 333 month process - 26 years and up. And that's being on the low end. Even with the original 30 point drain you'd look at 13 years and up. Now imagine you'd have more territory which is entirely possible and you'd look at 40+ years ( for example 3x3 for 105 monthly income ) and more. Keeping your nation stable over such a long time is quite a challenge to say the least.

The rebellions will drain your manpower because you'll need to fight the rebels. You'll either lose prestige or legitimacy constantly because of yearly events for the whole duration of the process. It comes down to "less prestige / legitimacy --> more revolts and repeat". Generally it's considered one of the most difficult westernization processes currently in the game if I understood the current forum consensus about it.

I tried it once with these changes to westernization. I got utterly destroyed. Then again it was my first westernization with the natives after the patch ( and these new mechanics ) and I was just not used to the procedure that is necessary to survive :D

EDITED: I was being totally wrong on my calculation and remembering it completely wrong - apologies for the misinformation! Corrected the information presented and replaced it with actual current values ( thanks to "Dr.B" in #21 )!

Last edited:
It takes immensly long for them to westernize because of the amount of monarch points you need ( = save up ) in order to do so. Also for each 15 basetax that you have you'll will be drained one less monarch point ( normally 15 - for every 15 basetax it reduces that monarch point modifier though - so it's then 14, 13 , etc. ). On first sight this seems good because you don't lose as many but since you'll need 5000 this can mean that you advance very slowly in westernization. Which then in turn means additional high revolt risk and advisor costs for more than you'd imagine - also constant rebellions or religious unity problems if you choose to convert to the Christian faith group ( Catholic / Protestant / Reformed ).

The problem being here that it should reduce the monarch points drained for each 40(!) instead of 15 basetax and that seems to be a bug currently. So you'll have it even more difficult than you should have. This can result in insanly high westernization processes. Let's say you have 75 basetax until the colonial nations like Castile, Portugal and England arrive. You'd then be down to 10 points per month. So since you only spend 10 points on your 5000 limit, you'd have a 500 month process - 40 years and up. And that's being on the low end. Even with the original 15 point drain you'd look at 30 years and up. Now imagine you'd have more territory which is entirely possible and you'd look at 60 years and more. Keeping your nation stable over such a long time is quite a challenge to say the least.

The rebellions will drain your manpower because you'll need to fight the rebels. You'll either lose prestige or legitimacy constantly because of yearly events for the whole duration of the process. It comes down to "less prestige / legitimacy --> more revolts and repeat". Generally it's considered one of the most difficult westernization processes currently in the game if I understood the current forum consensus about it.

I tried it once with these changes to westernization. I got utterly destroyed. Then again it was my first westernization with the natives after the patch ( and these new mechanics ) and I was just not used to the procedure that is necessary to survive :D
So to westernize you need to be as small as possible, tons of cash and MP reserved and every way to reduce revolt risk and still wait decades? I understand becoming European should not be one nights work but stil...

So to westernize you need to be as small as possible, tons of cash and MP reserved and every way to reduce revolt risk and still wait decades? I understand becoming European should not be one nights work but still...

The smaller the better, yes, because you'd have less provinces to cover with your armies. A theologian is definitely the best way to keep your revolt risk down since you will tank legitimacy no matter what - you cannot rely on that for too long. However it should be noted that a westernization decision will let you choose between losing westernization progress or legitimacy/prestige/monarch points, etc. Under these current circumstances sometimes it can help to chose progress instead of a very important resource. The events are yearly though, if you do this for 40 years you might in fact never be finishing it up :p

In theory you'd also want to *not* choose any national decisions prior to westernization that would increase national revolt risk. You also have the opportunity to use Harsh Treatment now for 15 years ( in patch 1.7 ) instead of 10, so that does help. If you also have "Res Publica" you can use your national focus potentially to circumvent some of the problems in one specific monarch point area where you'd lose the most points in, so you could technically balance it out a bit.

The smaller the better, yes, because you'd have less provinces to cover with your armies. A theologian is definitely the best way to keep your revolt risk down since you will tank legitimacy no matter what - you cannot rely on that for too long. However it should be noted that a westernization decision will let you choose between losing westernization progress or legitimacy/prestige/monarch points, etc. Under these current circumstances sometimes it can help to chose progress instead of a very important resource. The events are yearly though, if you do this for 40 years you might in fact never be finishing it up :p

In theory you'd also want to *not* choose any national decisions prior to westernization that would increase national revolt risk. You also have the opportunity to use Harsh Treatment now for 15 years ( in patch 1.7 ) instead of 10, so that does help. If you also have "Res Publica" you can use your national focus potentially to circumvent some of the problems in one specific monarch point area where you'd lose the most points in, so you could technically balance it out a bit.
And after westernization you lose all native ideas and buildings I read. Is there any point investing heavily on them at all if you lose them? Also after westernization what will be your tech level?

And after westernization you lose all native ideas and buildings I read. Is there any point investing heavily on them at all if you lose them? Also after westernization what will be your tech level?

When you reform out of the tribal government you advance to 1-2 tech levels behind your neighbor in each area and lose the native buildings/abilities. Once you fall a total of 7 techs behind you can start westernizing and you will probably end up 3-4 behind in each area by the time you are done unless you have a god ruler. Note that westernizing caps at 10 pts of each type, not 15 as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Early on I'll invest in some to get my income high enough to support a colony but once I get ~3g/month I stop building anything but palisades. It's generally a good idea to culture shift any land you take before reforming since the end result is entirely based on the neighbor's tech level so spending points on tech is sort of wasted as well.

Couldn't you just release several large vassals to:
a) lower your income - thus speeding up the process
b) lower the amount of territory covered while fighting rebels
c) get some stable allies who can help you clear rebels
Yes, this will cost you quite a bit of DIP later on, but it might be worth it.

This is theorycrafting, I haven't played a NA tribe, but it sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Couldn't you just release several large vassals to:
a) lower your income - thus speeding up the process
b) lower the amount of territory covered while fighting rebels)
c) get some stable allies who can help you clear rebels
Yes, this will cost you quite a bit of DIP later on, but it might be worth it.

This is theorycrafting, I haven't played a NA tribe, but it sounds reasonable.
Sounds like worth of it if working.

Few things more: I read there is an incapable ruler modifier if your nation grows too big, how much worse NA units are compared to western and what NA nation has the best NI?

I westernized in 1.6 with Russia very early on, tech 9 or 10, by falling behind in diplo points. It wasn't bad at all. Despite the tooltip, westernization was slowed 1 MP per month for each 15 ducats of monthly income, NOT BASE TAX. Not sure if this changed. Just wait until you have nearly full monarch points in each category and +3 stability. I kept my income just under 30 by steering trade away. Took 8 years or so?
Stockpile cash to for mercenaries , which you probably won't need. You won't even need advisors, as you won't burn through your monarch points before you're westernized.