• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the best example of ethnic cleansing and population displacements were in Poland around the IIWW:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacres_of_Poles_in_Volhynia_and_Eastern_Galicia
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_and_expulsion_of_Germans_%281944%E2%80%9350%29

Due to the massive population displacements (Polish nationality from territory seized in the East by Soviets and German nationality from territory given to Poland by allies in the West and North) Poland changed from multinatonal and multireligous country (with under 70% being Polish and Catholic) to a unified one-nation country with over 99% being Polish and Catholic.

Putting aside all the sorrows of the population involved it has to be said that this change lead to the vast stabilization of the internal relations within the country and vastly increased the overall security of the country.

Human history is littered with such sad tales - is it something I would do, no, is it something I would want to do if I had the authority, no, is it something that for game purposes I would want to do, no.
If some one could post a story of voluntary mass migration that wasn't a catastrophe for those involved I would be intrigued to hear about it (the Boer trek comes to mind, although the impact on those whose lands they moved to isn't cheery).

Ok I am against including genocide or ethnic cleansing to the game, BUT I would like to have population exchange with another country, if I was Greece and I wanted all Greeks from Turkey to come back, or if I was Turkey and wanted Turks to come from Bulgaria and in exchange I would give Bulgarians their people from Istanbul and Thrace. Is it possible.

Most people do not want to move unless they 'have to' or are 'forced to' - a good modern(ish) example are all the ethnic Greeks who remained in Ottoman/Turkish lands even after Greece gained it's independence. They only moved to Greece after WW1 due to the failed invasion of Anatolia by Greece and the subsequent forcing out of those people by the Turkish authorities.

Interesting that this thread is still open. But, well, anyway, on topic:

I´d love to see those stuff in the game, as it would add much to the feeling of being a ruler/nation in this time, who, atleast in some cases, used practices like those. Stuff like this was a rather common practice, espacially in the colonies for some time.
At the same time i can understand the reason why Paradox may object to the introduction of stuff like this in the game, though i have to say it is sad, because it really is something that is missing in Vicky until now.

I'm also surprised this threads still going but hey, the vikky boards, along with the HOI boards, are for the most part a bit more mature (IMO) than the EU4 or CK2 boards. Still, the title alone is enough arouse suspicion...

Anyway, I also agree with other posters and that genocide and displacement is not something I'd want to do in a game. It's been raised that the US can enact the 'trail of tears' decision and I think that, maybe for vikky 3 such historical events could be turned into 'flavor' events that can help educate players about tragedies in human history (as well as keeping the in game effects).

On the suggestion for voluntary displacement, perhaps POPs should have a slight pro-bias towards immigrating to countries where they are accepted/primary culture? Only a slight one however as then it could be possible to end up with a Greek liberation of former Greek provinces to find them only filled with Turks :rofl:

That this thread is even still alive is just proof they don't check here very often.
Seriously guys we all should know that this whole topic is not allowed.

That this thread is even still alive is just proof they don't check here very often.
Seriously guys we all should know that this whole topic is not allowed.

I WANT TO DELETE THIS THREAD, I didn't mean to offend anybody, I hope I will not get banned :(

I WANT TO DELETE THIS THREAD, I didn't mean to offend anybody, I hope I will not get banned :(

In which case, possibly just PM a mod, apologise and say that to him/her. To me this is just a discussion and I don't see the harm, but I realise others have a different view.

I don't post here much, (or at all), because I only have vanilla, (well, gold edition, but that's another story,) and it won't register. Still, I personally think that this shouldn't be in the game, and, although I wouldn't know, I wouldn't be suprised if the devs felt the same way. Also, I don't understand why this thread is still open either.

you do know there isnt going to be a vic3 right?

From Johan in a recent reddit AMA about Victoria 3:

well.. its not happening anytime soon.. no design, no team, no nothing.. but we're stupid if we don't do it eventually.

So I'd say you're probably wrong.

On yeah, and how is this thread still open? This entire topic is off-limits and this type of stuff will never be included in a Paradox game unless it's modded in, and even then said mods could not be hosted on this forum because of the ban on the topic.

The problem is, there was a large Turkish expulsion in the Balkan after the Balkan war. The game doesn't model that and let you swarming with ahistorical Turkish POP who try to rebel every month.
And the Young Turks did the same in Anatolia, with the culling of the Armenian and Greek, in order to consolidate the Turkish State.
Also, there is things like evacuation of settlers when colonies declares independance that aren't shown.
I know it can sounds dark and horrible, but ethnic cleansing was a reality of history.

And personally, I find that the fact that I'm allowed to displace and genocide Native American, and no one else, is massively offensive. Is Paradox thinking Native American displacement was ok because it's part of american history ? It's part of human history, true, but so does other genocides which aren't in the game for some reason.

This game let's you have events which kill 20% of a colonies population yet ethnic expulsion with low casualties is not present. C'mon Vicky, give it to us. YOu have the trail of tears event so why selectively choose when to include ethinc cleansing or not, just give it to us or not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.