• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

swilhelm73

Strong Badder then You
28 Badges
Mar 27, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
The big grey blog declared war on my expansive Kingdom of Sicily.

While I am waiting for my vassals anger to go down over the last time I called them up, I was chasing around new German armies with my retinue and demense troops.

And...I captured his antipope.

I can ransom him for $25...or I can execute him, oddly enough for a small piety cost.

I am on relatively good terms with the real pope (+49), and I imagine the HRE emperor is not considering the fact that he has an antipope, and I would love to excommunicate him...

But if I kill the antipope does another just get selected? What should I do here to most weaken the HRE?

So, there is nothing special I could do? I would presume that capturing an antipope would be a fairly momentous event with the actual pope being willing to offer quite a bit to get his hands on his rival. Did this even actually happen during the medieval period?

So, there is nothing special I could do? I would presume that capturing an antipope would be a fairly momentous event with the actual pope being willing to offer quite a bit to get his hands on his rival.

You would think, but nope. He's just like any other vassal, & if you kill him he will just be immediately replaced.

The big grey blog declared war on my expansive Kingdom of Sicily.

While I am waiting for my vassals anger to go down over the last time I called them up, I was chasing around new German armies with my retinue and demense troops.

A tad off-topic for the actual thread, but... your vassals don't complain if you raise them during defensive wars or crusades. As long as you don't have any offensive wars going at the same time, feel free to raise their levies as much as you want.

Last edited:
I recommend keeping him in prison. An imprisoned anti-pope can't take the papacy (I think, any way) while if you kill him another gets selected. So long as you hold him, his leige's claim is useless.