• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MarshalN

Colonel
1 Badges
May 6, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
So... I had my son and heir (and genius...) die to the rabble because a castle that I own was besieged and taken, except that it was not my capital, and was a pretty distant holding in fact. Why was my heir there instead of in the capital??? Does this mean that anytime you have a holding taken you run the risk of rabble death for your family?

So... I had my son and heir (and genius...) die to the rabble because a castle that I own was besieged and taken, except that it was not my capital, and was a pretty distant holding in fact. Why was my heir there instead of in the capital??? Does this mean that anytime you have a holding taken you run the risk of rabble death for your family?

Was your heir landed somewhere else? If so, then I think you might want to report this as a bug. If your heir was unlanded, then you had some bad luck. It could happen to anyone. In the future, don't let anyone succeed in a siege. I know that's easier said than done, but I've managed it so far in my Ireland start (867, not 1066; too easy) and I've faced wars against foes far more powerful than me, and multiple wars at the same time.

I have surrendered in war once to avoid serious problems, and white peaced out twice when I realized that I would be forced to surrender if the war continued.

You can roleplay it as him having been visiting there for the summer or something along those lines.
How irresponsible of his mother to take him to your summer residence while there are rebels rampaging around the area.

Well, just bad luck I think. He's unlanded, a kid too, I had high hopes for him with genius and a perfect wife to go with him. Oh well.

Maybe you could load a save and check what happened, where he was? Im itching to find out :D

If he's a kid then there's no way he could be leading the army either.

I was the tutor - the kid was only 7 or 8. The capital was Spoleto. He died in Provence. I was not leading troops anywhere.

If you weren't leading troops you are automatically assigned to defend your own land. When they started to siege Provence you teleported there to defend. Your son went with you.

Pretty sure all of your holdings have a chance for capture for anybody in your court. When I play a raider and I want to capture nobles I siege every single holding that the king I'm raiding has hoping to get a child of his. If he has a particularly large demesne and extended family I can usually capture 2-3 family members before I take off.

Was your heir landed somewhere else? If so, then I think you might want to report this as a bug. If your heir was unlanded, then you had some bad luck. It could happen to anyone. In the future, don't let anyone succeed in a siege. I know that's easier said than done, but I've managed it so far in my Ireland start (867, not 1066; too easy) and I've faced wars against foes far more powerful than me, and multiple wars at the same time.

I have surrendered in war once to avoid serious problems, and white peaced out twice when I realized that I would be forced to surrender if the war continued.
Please don't give advice and say how "you managed to do impossible things", as Ireland is extremely easy and isolated, even in 867.