• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just look at all that happened with Lady Hornwood in the ASOIAF books too.

One important distinction in that scenario was that Lady Hornwood's relative (ol' Wyman) seized her holdings so that the bastard "husband" did not get his hands on it. Also, the marriage was a forced one.

In unrelated musings, if the North is so unstable (one rebel house turning the whole place into a realm of Chaos), perhaps this generation of Starks are not quite as good in governance as we think they are.

This mechanic is unnecessary. Now I can't roleplay my idiotic King marrying his 42 year old mistress. :(

Also, men married rich widows all the time to get their property.

Again, for the third time, You can marry anyone you want, special circumstances marrages need to be arranged through diplomacy/people finder. The Rings button most people use is for stupid people who need a quick list.

What bothers me is that female rulers over 40/45 can't get married at all.
So when you're husband kicks the bucket, you're stuck without the spouse bonus to state stats for 10-20 years or more.

What bothers me is that female rulers over 40/45 can't get married at all.
So when you're husband kicks the bucket, you're stuck without the spouse bonus to state stats for 10-20 years or more.

You can marry your own heir if you wanted to. You can also marry any lowborn in your court. Again, use arrange marrage not the rings button.

I agree with the 'don't use the rings' notion, I found out that that option doesnt seem to list all the eligible women for some reason. Also it doesnt show married women. If you're having spare cash (which i have lots) you can simply find your desired wife and arrange for a marriage, killing any pesky husbands if need be. Given that on my first playthrough im playing to win, i marry for stats. Currently my best wife ever was this 25-9-18-14-13 lady from somewhere. Killed her bishop husband to get to her. Well worth it.

You can also marry any lowborn in your court. Again, use arrange marrage not the rings button.

I couldn't get this to work last time it happened. Clicking the arrange marriage button on my own/other rulers'/unlanded lowborn men's diplomacy screen and selecting my ruler would empty out the list of possible candidates, while selecting the potential husband first would remove my ruler from the list. I had a bunch of unmarried men in my court, and I even "bought" a couple more, but without success.

You can, you just can't use the rings button. Select the diplo screen of your king, select arrange marraige, and look for some old hags, alternatively use the people finder and search for old hags and attempt to arrange marraige on them. The "rings" marry button is for the typical marraige with best options, it doesn't take into account Late in life partners.

This, you guys are all silly. I routinely marry >40 year old women in my games once I'm comfortable with my line of succession. It's a great way to pad a weak stat/get an awesome spymaster without worrying about having even more kids.

This, you guys are all silly. I routinely marry >40 year old women in my games once I'm comfortable with my line of succession. It's a great way to pad a weak stat/get an awesome spymaster without worrying about having even more kids.

Once I got 3 solid heirs and 1 is an adult, I get an old hag wife, then browse my dynasty tree ordering all the other close families to join the local Nunnery/monastery. Helps reduce those ugly adventurers immensely.