• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrDisaster

Sergeant
36 Badges
Mar 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
Why cant my 60 years old king marry one of his countless courtiers who happens to be older than 40? Cant even select them in the marriage window, nice of you to make these desicions for me paradox, not!

Why cant my 60 years old king marry one of his countless courtiers who happen to be older than 40?

Bacause the reason for marriage back then was to secure the Dynasty which meant:

Option A: Secure an important Alliance.
Option B: Marry a young fertile woman who can produce children for you.

The most optimal was ofcourse a combination of A+B but since your example would give neither it´s not an option.

Well, I think this mechanicwas used to prevent the player from marrying unfertile women to foreign rulers in order to prevent them from getting children. While I agree, this mechanic is necessary, I also think, it could be slightly weakened such as this, that rulers, who already have children, are allowedro marry women above 35.

The most optimal was ofcourse a combination of A+B but since your example would give neither it´s not an option.

Yes this makes sense, but what if your character is old & only interested in a prestigious marriage (stats) and already has lots of children. Shouldnt it be in his power to marry his own courtiers?

Like you always have the power to decide about your courtiers marriages, but oh no she is over 40 now so its not your decision anymore..

Edit: If it is about the ai marrying infertile women, then why not block it for the ai only? Why take options away from the player?

Last edited:
Yes this makes sense, but what if your character is old & only interested in a prestigious marriage (stats) and already has lots of children. Shouldnt it be in his power to marry his own courtiers?

Like you always have the power to decide about your courtiers marriages, but oh no she is over 40 now so its not your decision anymore..

Edit: If it is about the ai marrying infertile women, then why not block it for the ai only? Why take options away from the player?

I was talking from a realism perspective and there 'stats' are really non-existent. Also wouldn´t marry a old woman just for stats qualify as power gaming and give an unfair advantage to the player over the AI.

I also think this was changed to prevent a player with a muslim character from marrying old infertile women to get rid of the prestige loss from having too few wives while not risking getting a unwanted number of children.

You can marry late in life partners, you just have to manually find them. Either use the arrange marraige button on your king instead of the rings button, if you have some old hags in your court you can marry them. Either use the people finder for outside your court or arrange marraige with your close allies. You can also marry your annoying brothers and uncles off to them too.

Because love wasn't invented yet!

Seriously an old king who already has heirs should be able to marry out of love (or just for fun).

You can, you just can't use the rings button. Select the diplo screen of your king, select arrange marraige, and look for some old hags, alternatively use the people finder and search for old hags and attempt to arrange marraige on them. The "rings" marry button is for the typical marraige with best options, it doesn't take into account Late in life partners.

Bacause the reason for marriage back then was to secure the Dynasty which meant:

Of course, if your dynasty is already secure (and face facts, once you have your heir and spare, additional children cause complications for inheritance), and you don't particularly need an alliance...

You also haven't factored in the game's strong encouragement to get married for state stats - there were more than a few rulers who remained unmarried for years in real life, this isn't really an option in CK2

You can, you just can't use the rings button. Select the diplo screen of your king, select arrange marraige, and look for some old hags, alternatively use the people finder and search for old hags and attempt to arrange marraige on them. The "rings" marry button is for the typical marraige with best options, it doesn't take into account Late in life partners.

This. The "rings" button is not your friend. You should pretend that it doesn't exist and use the people finder instead, or look at the character information of foreign rulers who you wish to ally with and research their family. I often find it "helpful" to matrilineally marry the third or fourth heir of a foreign throne, grant them a small title when they arrive in my court, and then arrange "accidents" for all of the other heirs that are in line before them. It's not easy to pull those kinds of shenanigans when you only use the "rings" button to look for a bride or groom.

This mechanic is unnecessary. Now I can't roleplay my idiotic King marrying his 42 year old mistress. :(

Also, men married rich widows all the time to get their property.

In-game, if a widow ruler dies, her titles go to her children from previous marriages, or someone else. It doesn't go to the husband.

With the War of the Roses mod, however, this should very much be a thing.

If other modders are in agreement (thinking of HIP and CK2+), then they can code it in. Makes succession a whole lot more interesting/complicated.