Creation of "Elite" units possible solution?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

repent

sinner
82 Badges
Jun 1, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
Dear Paradox,

After reading through much of the hand wringing if the "Waffen SS" thread would the following be possible?:

1) Allow us to simulate giving certain units better training / officers / standard of recruit. I want to be able to give specific units "Elite Status" resulting in slightly better morale or Org. Maybe increase reinforcement time or maintenance cost slightly. Limited in number as they are in HOI3 as fraction of total manpower.

2) We can already prioritise supply to these units in HOI3 and give them the best equipment when they are created and I hope this will be carried over.

3) Give each nation an "alternate" counter colour that can be toggled on a unit by unit basis. Black for Germans, deeper red for Soviets etc etc.

This leaves creating "Elite" or infamous "Black Counter" units up to the players themselves and Paradox can wash their hands of the whether/ how to represent the Waffen SS problem.

Thank you for your time.

****Originally posted****: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-Waffen-SS&p=17206657&viewfull=1#post17206657

Last edited:
Yeah, I would love something like that.
Roleplaying and ticking "Prioritised for reinforcements" only goes so far.

For example, during my Lighter and Softer Empire of Japan game where I never used harsh occupation policies, I pretended that some of my best divisions were composed of volunteers from across Asia, and I tried very hard to treat them well, upgrade them and keep them in the thick of the fighting.

It ended up becoming a 3 division corps of extremely experienced Heavy Armour, kicking ass and taking names across North America.

I would have loved it if I could have designated them Elite and changed their counters.

Yeah, we could maybe have Elite unit creator DLC like the Haircut DLC for CKII.

Those two could be combined actually.
Imagine the positive effects on morale if all soldiers were provided their own personal hair stylist, who would give them a perfectly styled Pompadour.

"Immaculate styling" tag on the unit. +5% Morale in combat and increased unit reinforcement rate (everyone wants well tailored uniforms and a regimental stylist).

If we had something like a DLC I would recreate the "Handschar" as best as I can, also my grand-granddad was in this unit in WWII. :)

I'd love this. Like a prestige value for units which have distinguished themselves and a certain requirement to bump them up to the next level maybe?
Maybe the best of the best units would come with a slight morale boost or morale penalty to the enemy forces.

I'd love this. Like a prestige value for units which have distinguished themselves and a certain requirement to bump them up to the next level maybe?
Maybe the best of the best units would come with a slight morale boost or morale penalty to the enemy forces.

That'd maybe be a mechanic for the Soviets.... they elevated units that had performed well to "Guards" status. A lot of them failed to live up to their new title.

The Waffen SS Divisions tended to be constructed from scratch early in the war. Later in the war have a battle tested regiment form the nucleus of a new Division, for example Regiment Nordland of 5th SS Wiking which went on to become 11th SS Division Nordland.

Obviously British "Guards" units had been around for centuries.

I like the sound of this, especially if it is extended to other branches. Like making elite ace fighter squadrons, which could allow them to perform better in combat, have better planes first and maybe even have a negative effect on the enemy in the squadron is
particularly powerful. (because who doesnt want several elite ace squadrons of Me262s)

+1

A combination of being able to appoint and battlefield performance I think would be the most fun. I want to be able to influence which Elite formations I have somewhat but I also want to have random units that perform out of the ordinary during that specific campaign of the game being able to raise to fame as well. And differing colour is *VERY* important for immersion!

If we had something like a DLC I would recreate the "Handschar" as best as I can, also my grand-granddad was in this unit in WWII. :)

Ehhh, anti partisan warfare in the Balkans. Now that's a subject full of fun.

SS Handschar is the one division I think of when I think of fun that will not be discussed or included in the game. And when people start stating that the SS as a whole was elite.

Last edited: