• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chronicler

Field Marshal
19 Badges
Sep 16, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
Hello!

I'm gonna play mp with a deaf guy that hasn't previously played EU III.

Are all notifications audio-optional? Or am I forgetting something?

I don't want to have any advantages playing, how do I help him maximize settings when he installs his game?

Hello!

I'm gonna play mp with a deaf guy that hasn't previously played EU III.

Are all notifications audio-optional? Or am I forgetting something?

I don't want to have any advantages playing, how do I help him maximize settings when he installs his game?
Diplomatic offers might be tricky. They do technically appear on screen, but they're really easy to miss without sound, and there's no way to change that.

I never played a MP game (or a SP one) with sound enabled (music or effects) and few generally do, as we chat on Mumble, TeamSpeak, etc. Everything's displayed by the graphical user interface.

I never played a MP game (or a SP one) with sound enabled (music or effects) and few generally do, as we chat on Mumble, TeamSpeak, etc. Everything's displayed by the graphical user interface.

Sure, but I think you have to set it up some first no? Those miniature icons can be easy to miss in my experience. You guys use pop-ups? Some things I have completely shut off though, like trade offers etc.

eon47: I'm pretty sure all diplomatic offers can be pop-ups no?

I was more worried about rebels, there is a sound when they appear sometimes no? That doesn't translate to the pop-up.

eon47: I'm pretty sure all diplomatic offers can be pop-ups no?
This popped up in the quick questions thread a while back, and the general conclusion was that they're stuck as those tiny banners that are easily missed. Admittedly there weren't a lot of people in the discussion, but jdrou has 20,000 odd posts and a lot modding credentials, and I know I looked high and low for the option. If you do make it work, however, let me know, as I would be highly interested in that.

I never play Eu3 with the sound on, and I don't have trouble playing.

I've never found the diplomatic offers to be too much of an issue, but then, that may be due to a history in RTSes where you need to be looking at the entire screen at all times. However, those are generally ignorable: the alliance offers are mostly spam, the royal marriage offers can be accepted at a later date (or sent yourself for free prestige), and you shouldn't be getting any vital stuff like calls to arms due to avoiding allying yourself with dumb AIs that insist on dragging you into every random war they start. If any player-to-player diplomacy needs to happen, it can easily be communicated via the far more visible chat system first.

As silk said, most MP players turn sound off immediately and never look back, and in the rare case that someone doesn't notice a diplomatic offer the sender will just inform the person and re-send it.

I am deaf and I never had trouble playing the game. It also helps that us deaf people tend to notice visual stimuli very quickly, similar to how you notice the sounds. All possible options can be visual and prioritize (into pop up, log, or note). So, I would say, don't worry :) Just relax and fun and remember to use your eyes more when playing with deaf player :p

If your associate does not mind endless popups he can simply enable all messages as a popup or weed out the non-essentials by spending a considerable amount of time at the "Message Options" menu. That menu is where you can elect what to see in the Dialog box; on Map; as an Icon; or as a Pop with and without Pause options.

I am deaf and I never had trouble playing the game. It also helps that us deaf people tend to notice visual stimuli very quickly, similar to how you notice the sounds. All possible options can be visual and prioritize (into pop up, log, or note). So, I would say, don't worry :) Just relax and fun and remember to use your eyes more when playing with deaf player :p

One thing that never gives a notification though is when rebels walk into your nation from a neighbouring country, sometimes I completely missed that unless I heard the "battle sounds" when scrolling over a specific area.

This is one of some things I can think about, but I can't think of anything that could solve it.

One thing that never gives a notification though is when rebels walk into your nation from a neighbouring country, sometimes I completely missed that unless I heard the "battle sounds" when scrolling over a specific area.

This is one of some things I can think about, but I can't think of anything that could solve it.
There is a message setting when one of your provinces is besieged: "When the enemy lays siege to one of our fortresses"
I always set that to pop-up