• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DarthShizNit

General
16 Badges
Feb 4, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
As part of our epic series of WW1 mod games (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?763906-WW1-Multiplayer-8-Recruiting) I am playing Imperial Russia, and at the request of Dizzle (the mod leader) I shall be writing an AAR for this game.

However, Dizzle foolishly called his thread "Avenging Franz Ferdinand," and since I am most definitely not defending glorious Slavic Hegemony of the Balkans for that man, I shall be posting the tales of the Tsarist armies in this thread.

And so, without any further delay:

Chapter One: The Storm Over Europe
Tsar Nicholas II on horseback inspecting Imperial Troops
0649.jpg

Russia entered 1914 as a nation poised on the pendulum of history. A land of untapped industrial potential waiting to be released, of repressed masses and total autocracy, of fading glory but the means to regain.

Events within the past decade, the seemingly inevitable collapse of the Ottoman Empire, the Balkans Wars, and the tides of industrial revolution had made Russia's military leaders (in a land where there not any other kind that mattered) acutely aware that Russia stood to gain immensely in Europe when she had failed in the East. Rising Slavic nationalism in the Balkans presented the opportunity for Russia to increase her influence to the shores of the Adriatic, over - if she were fortunate - the corpses of her long standing enemies the Hapsburgs of Austria-Hungry and the Ottomans.

But if Russia were to be able to stake her claim in the bold new world developing, reforms were necessary. It was this realization that caused a meeting of Tsar Nicholas II and his top military command (STAVKA) on the 5th of January, to discuss radical changes to the armed forces of the Tsar's limitless armies. Experience in the Russo-Japanese war had given the Russians first hand accounts of the power of modern war, lessons that the Russian command was apt to learn. Within days of the meeting, orders for more artillery pieces and machine guns - the staples of modern war STAVKA rightly guessed - were put out. Vast reorganization of the armies 'archaic' command structure took place under the watchful eye of some of Russia's most able leaders, recently promoted through the ranks based on merit and their combat doctrines rather than personal connections. Most shocking of all to foreign attaches observing the change, was Russia's disbandment of almost all of her infamous cavalry divisions, long a staple of the Steppes. But in a world of rapid fire and high explosives, horse served only to either carry supplies, or to eat them.
Tsarist troops preparing for inspection in the spring of 1914
Defenders_NGM-v31-p369-A.jpg

However, as the Russian command rightly recognized, the transformation of Russia's vast under equipped mass of soldiers into the most formidable army in Europe would take time. Politcal dissent at home could be put off it was figured, but Industrial progress had yet to catch up to meet the demands of Russia's new vision. It was estimated that it would take four years at the earliest for Russia's economy to match her armies ambitions. Four years until Russia blossomed into an unstoppable superpower. But four years appeared to be far longer than Europe was willing to give the Tsar.

For half a century Europe had stood on a knifes edge, as the Great Powers of Europe allied with one another in hopes of securing their position in Europe. Russia had been allied with the French Republic - ever keen to put Germany back into her place after the disastrous Franco-Prussian War - since 1894. In 1907, this alliance was expanded to include Russia traditional competitor, England, who feared the naval expansion of the German Empire's navy. Russia, though their rulers were close cousins and friends, could not afford to appease Germany and give up her ambitions on the ailing Austro-Hungarian Empire, which controlled large swaths of rightfully Slavic land, and as the Balkans war showed, would stand in the way of increased Slavic control over the Balkans.

It was amidst this web of alliances, and increased militarism from all major powers of Europe in the spring of 1914, that young Bosnian Serb assassinated the heir to the Hapsburg throng, Franz Ferdinand on June 28, 1914.

At first, Europe hardly seemed to notice. It wasn't until July 2nd, that the Austrians, eager to put the blame of the assassination on Slavic nationalism and to put down the growing power of Serbia, put forth an ultimatum it knew Serbia would reject. It was at this point, that the whispers of war began. Within 10 days, those whispers would turn into the shrieks of shells and the cries of the wounded.

Shortly after Serbia's rejection of the ultimatum, Hapsburg forces invaded Serbia and her neutral neighbor Montenegro. This rapid escalation of events alarmed all the militaries of Europe, and within hours after the declaration of war, Russia announced that it would not stand by and let the Hapsburgs unjustly enslave their Slavic brethren, and the order to mobilize was issued. Within a day, all over Europe, men were getting the call to report to their mobilization zones. It was this escalation of events, and seemingly sudden but inevitable slide into total war that caused British politician Edward Gray to remarks, "The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time." Or as General Yudenich remarked to the assembled officer corps of Russia's 4th army, "There is a storm gathering over Europe, one that will drowned the world when it breaks."

General Brusilov ordering the mobilization of Russia's 1st Army
Broussilov.jpg

With the men called to arms, war was inevitable, yet it still took the Entente by surprise when on July 12, only weeks since the assassination and before any poltical discourse could be had, declared war on France and Belgium. England quickly came to Frances aid, and Russia was dragged in hours latter when both Austria-Hungry and Germany declared war on her as well. The suddenness had caught the Russian army only partly deployed and still drastically under equipped than even the most cynical of staff reports could only have guessed.

A German offensive of some 50 divisions was launched north of Memel and focused on Riga, while Hapsburg and German troops moved into to occupy a purposely unguarded Poland. In retaliation, Russian troops, mainly of the crack 4th army under General Yudenich, attacked into East Galicia, scoring definitive victories over outnumbered Hapsburg forces and advancing into the Hapsburg realm. However, events in the north would quickly dictate events in the south, as soon all of STAVKA's attention and resources were poured into stopping an encirclement of Russian troops north of the Pripet Marshes. German divisions, vastly superior in officer ratio and artillery ratio, swarmed over outnumbered and outgunned - but undeniably brave and tenacious, as German casualty lists soon began to show - Russians in a general offensive that claimed first Praga, and then the fortress cities of Marijampolė . Warsaw feel within a week. Within two German troops were marching into the city square of Riga, causing panic within the capitol of St. Petersburg. However, under the careful leadership of Brusilov, and near suicidal stalling attacks, as of August 23rd, the Russian army, though her front is broken, had given as good as she got in the casualty figures and avoided a potentially war ending encirclement of her forces.
The Northern Front before the war, and as of August 23, 1914.
Before:
0F53AB5CB6439EE599C1CDCFCE10117B3F609C5D

Aug 23:
C44FA34707BCFE34C0A43769AB1EE8470C798E94

In the south Yudenich reluctantly pulled his forces back to a more suitable defensive position, anchored on the Pripet Marshes, and awaited the onslaught of "fresh" Austro-Hungarian troops after their saddeningly quick conquest of Serbia. Events there have only just begun, while in the north the Germans race to either gain definitive victory or to stabilize their thinning lines in the face of growing Russian resistance. Meanwhile, the war of maneuver in the east is matched in the west by the ferocity of machine guns, as Franco-British troops repulse the German advance into Belgium and prepare for massive counterattacks. Meanwhile, in the Far East, Russia's old foe is rumbling...

Depiciton of the confused fighting around Marijampolė
7004893.jpg

Until next time folks. I would like to apologize for the lack of ingame screenshots, as taking them causes my game to freeze for about 30 seconds, and that's thirty seconds I most certainly could not afford. Will attempt to take more in the future.

Also, someone teach me to upload bigger pictures!

Attachments

• Defenders_NGM-v31-p369-A.jpg
    Defenders_NGM-v31-p369-A.jpg
    685,9 KB · Views: 135
  • Broussilov.jpg
    Broussilov.jpg
    128,3 KB · Views: 58
  • 7004893.jpg
    7004893.jpg
    48,1 KB · Views: 401
  • tumblr_m4fkhhjz7o1r4r0yko1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m4fkhhjz7o1r4r0yko1_500.jpg
    14,2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Very interesting! Looking at the world map screenshot that dizzle posted in the other thread for this game, I was wondering how the situation was looking from Russia's perspective. I was concerned Russia was getting rolled over but it looks like you have a better handle on it than I thought.

For making bigger screenshots you should host the pictures on a photo sharing site (such as Photobucket, Imgur, Imageshack, etc.; in fact, even the link from the Steam community might be enough), and then place the direct link to image inside of image tags so it'll look like this:

Code:
[img]picture[/img]

Most photo sharing sites also have basic editing tools that allow you to crop or resize the picture if you think it's too big, or don't want to show off all of your in-game information.

Thank you kindly lads :D! Glory to the Emperor! We were actually only at war for about an hour this session, next time there will be three hours to talk about.

My bias is the truth and nothing more!

WW1 from Russia's point of view, interesting!
Also, I love the pictures you found. Had never seen most of them before.

I have quite the collection of rare eastern front photos I have ready to use :). Next update will be this weekend.

Last edited:
But where is the next thrilling update? :eek:

Coming I assure you, just had a very busy few days since the game and haven't had time to sit down at my computer :D (sending this from my phone!).

This promises to be a very good AAR!

But where is the next thrilling update? :eek:

Coming I assure you, just had a very busy few days since the game and haven't had time to sit down at my computer :D (sending this from my phone!).

The true reason for the lack of update is that it is taking a very long time for the Okhrana to turn the torrent of bad news coming from the front into a positive article but I'm sure they'll sort it out ! :D

Chapter Two: Land and Blood
9OeQ9qw.jpg

Imperial artillery marching to the Central Front

On June 28, 1914, the heir to the Hapsbrug throne was assassinated. Two weeks latter the lamps went out all over Europe, never to be lit again.

By the end of August the forces of Imperial Russia - still ill equipped compared to the armies of her adversaries - had been pushed back from Congressional Poland, large parts of Lithuania, and most of Latvia. On the Ukranian front, early Russian victories had to be put on hold as resources were pulled north in an attempt to stem the tide. To make matters worse for the south, fellow Slavic power, Serbia, had fallen within weeks of the war, allowing the Hapsburg empire to put their entire offensive military on the Ukrainian border, eventually reaching numerical superiority.

However, on August 24, 1914, the Russian High Command (STAVKA) still had reason to be optimistic. Fresh reinforcements, including two corps of British troops landed in Arkhangelsk, would soon bring numerical superiority to the Northern Front, while in the South, Yudenich and his 4th were though more than capable of keeping the contemptible Hapsburg forces at bay long enough for the north to stabilize.
156076957DD491CC0CF926CFA84DD91FD698EEBD

The situation in the north, with Russian reinforcements visible preparing to launch a counter offensive while heavy fighting in the north and south continues

Russian advisors with their Entente allies in the west, also gave hopeful news, as it was believed that with almost 70% of the Central powers armies in the east fighting Russia, that the western Entente outnumbered the western German armies almost 3:1. The Russian urged their allies to quickly launch offensives in hope of threatening the small German gains in Belgium and force them to pull troops back from the East to keep the Entente out of Germany itself.

However, as the weeks dragged on, it was clear that Russia's material inferiority hampered her numerical superiorities effectiveness.

A counterattack by 3 corps of Russians pulled from the southern front, launched at the perceived weak point of the German armies between the heavy fighting around Wilno and the river Daugava. The Russians soon found out how inferior to the Germans they really were, after 2 German divisions held out for almost a week of attack against 5 Russian divisions. Further north, two corps of Russians were stopped dead by four German divisions. The counterattack STAVKA had hoped to put the momentum back into their favor failed to gain more than 3 miles on any part of the front, while the Germans succeeded in establishing a bridgehead across the Daugava and push the Russians out of the fortified cities of Lithuania. Though Russian troops fought with a ferocity that would leave the casualty ratio almost 1:1 in their near suicidal delaying attacks, Russian command structure quickly broke down once forces met, with lack of supplies then hampering the Russian reorganization. It was this situation that enabled the German armies to effectively break the north in two, and German cavalry divisions were even able to advance 200 miles behind the front before being stopped.
bLXRPou.jpg

Russian troops attacking German troops in Estonia. It was estimated that 8 Russians were needed for every one German in order for an attack to succeed. Though Russian troops were often able to inflict significant casualties on the Germans (almost one to one overall), German troops were able to withstand every attack.
5E841BCD5C5964E7F330A803E4901F169836C08C

German bridgehead expanding on the Daugava

It soon became apparent to STAVKA and the Tsar that Russia was plunged into a massive European war she was vastly unprepared for. As October rolled around, almost a third of the Russian army was still equipped with 1910 era techs, with less than half equipped with modern weapons and tactics. This meant, that all throughout the front, though Russians troops could, would (and did!) fight with great fervor, inflicting heavy casualties on their opponents, Russian division command would become disorganized when faced with attack or on the attack itself, and the troops at the front would soon find their supplies of ammunition exhausted, even if their fighting spirit was not.

Hri2hXX.jpg

Russian artillery firing at advancing Germans

Even worse for Russia, was the fact that her western allies were either unwilling, or unable to relive pressure in a significant way. French and British troops proved ineffective against the Germans in the west, despite their massive numerical superiority. French command believed themselves too weak to attack in most places, and committed themselves to just fighting the Germans in Belgium with British help. It took the Franco-British troops nearly two months to push the Germans back into Germany, where the line has stalled. British troops sent to help Russia took almost two months to arrive, and when they did, it was discovered that they were of little better quality than the Russians they had been sent to help, with not a single artillery piece in the entre 100,000 man force. The British would prove no more successful at stopping German advances into Estonia than the Russians, taking massive casualties even against outdated German cavalry divisions.

And to make matters worse, on October 3, 1914, the Ottoman empire declared war against Imperial Russia, joining the Central Powers and sending her armies advancing into Russian Armenia, where not a single Russian divisions was in position to intervene.
EED2AF6909221705EA1E1D0F9B8FAFCC954B985C

Events in the south went little better than they did in the north, and by October, Austrian and German troops had pushed past the Pripet Marshes - which STAVKA had been counting on the keep the front divided - and Kiev had fallen. German troops also advances into Tallinn after sweeping aside a hastily constructed defensive line consisting mostly of garrison troops. Those troops would die so that the Russian frontline troops could safely retreat behind the river at Narva, only a few dozen miles from St. Petersburg itself!
u7nHlUv.jpg

The front line
1917-07.jpg

Russian troops retreating towards Narva

It was in the midst of this chaos that Grand Admiral Kolchak lead the Imperial Russian Baltic Fleet into battle against the German High Seas fleet in the Gulf of Riga. With German naval guns pounding the Russian troops, the sailors of the Russian navy could not sit idly by. With many taking the war for lost, they unanimously agreed to sortie out and meet the German fleet (which had recently been in heavy battle with the Royal Navy in the already famed Battle of Jutland) and either win or perish in battle than sit in port.
Kolchak_chef_supr%C3%AAme_de_la_Russie.jpg

Grand Admiral Alexander Kolchak on October 8, 1914

On October 9, 1914, at 9 am, the Baltic Fleet, bands playing the Imperial Anthem on deck, met the German High Seas fleet in the Gulf of Riga. What followed was a massacre, in which the vast majority of the Russian navy (including half of her Dreadnoughts) were sunk. A Russian officer retreating along the coast recalled looking out into the bay, "From up on a grassy knoll I looked out into the bay as the men of the navy engaged the Germans in a hopeless battle. Even from many miles away, the flash of the big guns was visible, and when the dreadnoughts fired broadsides the earth shook and the shock wave reached the shore. Somewhere in the bay a large ship (latter learned to be the Russian pre-dreadnought Sinop) exploded, sending a fireball soaring towards the heavens. I saw much horror in the war, but that day, the horror took on a sort of doomed beauty, and from that grassy knoll, most of my company dead or captured, I gave three cheers for the Fatherland and the brave men of the Navy."
F402623532C07E36294207BBDD872BB081FC7B7D

The Battle of the Gulf of Riga, where 60% of the Baltic Fleet would be destroyed (and roughly 15% of the German). The dead would include Grand Admiral Kolchak, and 3 days latter the rest of the Navy save the cruiser Admiral Makarov, would be sunk off the coast of Narva

As October rolled on, the war, at least for Russia, was looking to enter her last terrible months. Ottomans advanced through the Caucuses, though Russian Militia bleed them heavily in the mountain passes. Austrians push into the Crimea and break the Russian defenses on the Dnieper. In the North, a German army is beginning to prepare to push on St. Petersburg itself, sending the city into a panic. With it taking a minimum of eight Russian divisions to even attempt to dislodge one German Divisions, STAVKA is dubious of the prospects of recovering. Blood has been shed in unfathomable amounts by both sides, and land has been lost likely never to again be recovered. Where only a few months before the Russian soldier had joked about lunch in Budapest, now he stares grimly through the tree line at his German or Hapsburg foe, perhaps polishing his last few rounds of ammo to load into his antiquated rifle (his bayonet having most likely been left in a Hungarian conscripts some weeks ago), preparing to give his last for the Fatherland, if for no other reason than to make sure that history remembers the men of the east resisted to the last.

qrZYwJm.jpg

Russians troops preparing to open fire on advancing Hapsburgs somewhere in Ukraine, one in five of the men in this picture would likely be dead within an hour, likely fighting to the bayonet against the enemy.

That's it for this session lads! Things are looking bad for Russia, and I will likely only be able to hold out against the hordes of the Central Powers for another session before Russia is forced to surrender. I'll make it a bloody victory for them, but at this current time it's looking like it will be a victory nonetheless! Japan is also in the war, and 4 Russian divisions left behind in Vladivostok quickly advanced into Korea and occupied good river line defense to stop any Japanese mischief in the area, and the Royal navy has bottled up all of Japan, stopping any reinforcements to the two lonely Japanese divisions in Korea.

I was controlling the north this session while I called in a buddy (the Italian player, who won't be at war until next year) to take the south, this was his summary of events:
LIFE IN ITALY IS GOOD!

And apparently too good to leave me alone sipping on Red wine and pasta in the comfort of my mountain home over looking the calm and sunny seas of the Mediterranean, with late nights talking about glorious battles of past times and a late sleep in the next morning ...... Something was going wrong in Russia and I had a personal invitation from the Tsar no less, to come and discuss battles with him! Instead of being greeted in the Imperial Palace with the customary fanfare I was hoping for I found myself in the front line somewhere in Southern Russia amidst CHAOS! Well, organised chaos but none the less. First task went fine ... stop running men ... dig in .... reorganise yourselves and we'll be fine!! Modern warfare these days is TRENCH Warfare so we will hold these lines safe for the next 4 years "No Worries"!

This part of the plan went fine (except I had to quietly hold back on laughing loudly at the antique weapons these Russians brought to the fight). More serious was the lack and food, wine and ammunition (in that order) and the horrendous "supply columns" if you could call them that. A quick carrier pigeon to the Tsar's War Ministry confirmed Supply production was in full Imperial swing ... "don't worry it's coming" ... and so is winter I HOPE! New rifles and a meager trickling of almost modern artillery guns were coming to the front but too late the Austro-Hungarians had drawn up new battle lines and commenced there new assault.

Well the trenches were almost prepared and the troops were holding well for the time being but it was obvious we lacked any kind of reserve and were just totally out numbered at any point. As the initial Austrian attack started to weaken both themselves and our front line it was time to try something - anything - ATTACK! The Russian troops on the left and right flanks launched surprisingly effective attacks against the Austrians and on the far right flanks we broke them and pushed them back. Unfortunately the Austrian commander was either too cool headed or too drunk to notice and didn't divert his main troops to the new threat (not that it was a big threat but some lesser commanders would have panicked).

The brave deeds of the Russians in the front line held off the Austrians for as long as they could and I ordered fresh reserves from the flanks to the centre and sent the exhausted troops to "quiet" areas to rest up ... but it was a losing battle as we just didn't have the reserves to call on and once these Russians were exhausted they took forever to recover their fighting spirit (or maybe the lack of "Vodka spirits" at the front with the lack of everything else). With no help in sight I started looking at the fall back position which was a long way back to the next Dnieper river and Kiev itself. So as enter Divisions started breaking they were rushed back to the city and river lines north and south, but what started as an orderly, phased withdrawal became more of a flood and wholesale retreat. Divisions were lost as they got outflanked and overrun as their supporting Divisions on either flanks broke also .. surprisingly most divisions did make it back to the new rally point, weary and exhausted, but as only the Russians could do, they turned around and started digging in to face the enemy again. Having been out of my native, peaceful Italian homeland a mere few months I have become very "Russian" in my outlook and have decided to SHOOT anyone who says "trench warfare ... how boring just sitting there doing nothing"!!

While preparing our new defense lines an Imperial Carrier pigeon carrying the Tsar's personal seal arrived to give permission for the withdrawal back to Kiev and "don't worry about it things are worse in the North". Indeed aerial scouts has spotted a rouge German Cavalry division running as fast as possible to Moscow!

Well nothing to do now except pray for snow and a slow Austrian advance.

The maps above show the main Russian defense line which had recovered remarkably well once they were away from the fighting ... but the last sad tale about this event (apart from the Ottoman front) was when our strong defenders in Kiev were easily repelling the pitiful Austrian's when suddenly a "Spy pigeon" flew into the Kiev commanders quarters issuing the order to "Pull out and defend BEHIND the city" ... being a loyal (and recently executed officer for obeying orders) the entire army pulled out leaving the city defenseless. Reserves tried to reenter the city but too late. (I just know HOI4 won't have the problem of retreat 1 division and ALL division accidentally retreat with it )

I was truly impressed however when my tech Lvl 1 MIL division in the Caucasus Mountains stopped those Ottoman rabble in their tracks giving the rest of the army time to deploy .. that guy just promoted to the Life Guards!

So significant ground was lost and Russia has lost many key cities Warsaw, Riga, Kiev and Baki seems doomed ... Winter is coming, but too late to save these cities, all we can hope for now is to stabilse and regroup over winter and then start the long hard route to Vienna

Also check out that evil Hapsburg Dizzle's latest update: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Franz-Ferdinand-A-WW1-MP-Austro-Hungarian-AAR

Until next time! OOOOORRRRRAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Having read through the Austrian and Italian version of events, these updates provided no surprises (otherwise the faltering of the line and the loss of the fleet would have been massive shocks!) However, you have done an excellent job on the updates. They are gripping and well illustrated and was very enjoyable to read and get the version of events from the "other side of the hill".

I had already started routing for you when reading through the Austrian AAR, although it seems you think the war is lost for you :( Make it bloody! Maybe you need to scream some at your "allies" to get them moving to your rescue :p

Yeah, the way we currently have the game balanced made me dubious I would survive long anyway, and it's turning out to be true. The Russian army is terribly equipped and as you can see, with a very hefty investment into officers I'm still only at 108% due to a -33% officer recruitment penalty we give Russia, meaning that the Germans outclass me in just about everything (I wasn't joking when I said it takes at least 8 Russian divisions to even bother 1 German!) and the Central Powers actually have a numerical superiority over me at the time being. I shall fight to the bitter end though, the Russian peasant remains defiant and it hasn't exactly been cheap for the Centrals to push into Russia man power wise (not nearly as bloody as late war battles get though!).

To be fair, historically this is probably how it would have gone if the Central Powers actually had gone Russia first.

Great update! You really get the desperate situation across nicely. It's a very nice touch to be able to read it from both your and Austria's point of view, that's not something many AAR's offer.
With this kind of tech lag and the immense investment in officers Russia would need for her massive army in the first place, I don't see any alternative to stalling the enemy as best you can while France and Britain launch an all-out attack, right?

And yes I agree with your last comment. Without a huge effort by the western allies, knocking out Russia seems to be the Central Powers best first move.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Great update! You really get the desperate situation across nicely. It's a very nice touch to be able to read it from both your and Austria's point of view, that's not something many AAR's offer.
With this kind of tech lag and the immense investment in officers Russia would need for her massive army in the first place, I don't see any alternative to stalling the enemy as best you can while France and Britain launch an all-out attack, right?

And yes I agree with your last comment. Without a huge effort by the western allies, knocking out Russia seems to be the Central Powers best first move.

It would be nice if the Western Entente could launch an all out attack (and they have before, in a game where I took Germany and went Russia first, the allies had crossed the Rhine by late 1916), but as of right now, my western allies have done little more than get themselves killed in Belgium :D. Of course the French army also has some nasty tech gaps to close in 1914 as well, but at the same time committing to attacking the same 2 province front for two months certainly didn't help ;)

It would be nice if the Western Entente could launch an all out attack (and they have before, in a game where I took Germany and went Russia first, the allies had crossed the Rhine by late 1916), but as of right now, my western allies have done little more than get themselves killed in Belgium :D. Of course the French army also has some nasty tech gaps to close in 1914 as well, but at the same time committing to attacking the same 2 province front for two months certainly didn't help ;)

In their defense those battles were pretty bloody.

HoI3_1.bmp
(to give you an idea)

But I really expected them to send more troops to Russia too, we will see if their decision to abandon the Eastern front will pay off !