RoI cosmetic DLCs annouced: Turkish Portraits, Turkish Unit Pack, Songs of India

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The only issue I have with either is the unusually red tint of the Indian portraits' skin. And I'm worried that some elements of the Turkish portrait packs may look out of place for later Turks, e.g. Seljuk and Ottoman Turks. Like the yurt mosques...

Still, if there's anything else we've learned from this, it's that there might be a new early Ottoman bey on the east Caspian (hard to tell due to the absence of any indication of what year it is in that particular screenshot)!

Turks look ok, the Indians less so but I reserve my judgment as we have don't have many examples yet. We should see something tomorrow with last dev diary. This one at least is not too bad.

2014031709214411.jpg

Now we need Persian pack.

Hm, I'm not entirely sure about the portrait packs... Turkish ones look good, although a tad out of place. Maybe it's just because they are still WIP, can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with them. The Indian ones on the other hand..... shudder.... and everyone is forced to have them because they come bundled with ROI.... hopefully P'dox does some work on them before release. There clothes look pretty good, though.

On a rather unreleated note: has there ever be word on why P'dox doesn't just hire the guy who did the original portraits? His portrait mod looks just amazing.

The Turkish portraits look awesome. Definitely makes me want to consider playing a Cuman.

I have a feeling that maybe we just happened to have only gotten screens of the ugly and grotesque combinations of the Indian face sets. This guy from the Songs of India screens seems to look rather cool and fancy.

Then again, like others have already said, I wish there was more skin tone variation in Indians, like in real life.

201403170925180.jpg

Turks look ok, the Indians less so but I reserve my judgment as we have don't have many examples yet. We should see something tomorrow with last dev diary. This one at least is not too bad.

2014031709214411.jpg

Now we need Persian pack.

Okay, I have to admit that one isn't too bad. But I'm going to stop saying bad things about the Indian portraits because I know that once I start playing with them, I'll stop caring all that much. After all, they're not really horrible; at least in my opinion.

But I do have to say, I'm really interested to see how/if the CPR mod is going to include these new portrait packs. Should be neat.

Actually, looking at the screenshots I notice the symbol for piety/religion map mode. It's kind of neat, does anyone know what it actually is?

EDIT: And I hope that when it comes out the 'you can create a new title' icon at the top is changed to something more like the circles that the Indians use for their titles.

The Indian ones look very realistic IMHO (compared to the other packs).

The Turkish ones look fantastic - thanks Paradox. The Indian ones however... I don't know, maybe the website has just chosen the worst ones for its preview screens, or maybe they are just beta placeholders, but if not, then I'm pretty disappointed.

Apparently writers of the time said the Cumans were typically blond-haired, but it appears genetic evidence from Cuman burial sites suggest a lot of mixture between Caucasian and Mongoloid-looking people and everything in between.

Mongols can be blonde too.

However, shouldn't the Indians have a more lighter skin tone than represented in the portrait pack? As I understand it, the ruling classes (the brahmin, kshatriya, and vaishya) of Indian society derived from the Aryans, and the members of the lower hierarchy the native Dravidian. At least, that's what I was taught in college...

There's no reason why 'Aryan descent' would imply light skin.

The Turkish ones look fantastic - thanks Paradox. The Indian ones however... I don't know, maybe the website has just chosen the worst ones for its preview screens, or maybe they are just beta placeholders, but if not, then I'm pretty disappointed.

The bearded one looks fine (this one : http://www.gram.pl/upl/galerie/8070/2014031709214411.jpg ; I mean I can really imagine people IRL with exactly the same face, compared to the generic western ones for instance ) ; indeed, the Turkish ones are great too. But it's a shame that we can't see Indian women yet.

Last edited:
I believe the Dev said in stream that facepack and unitpack for Indian will be included in RoI...

That would be quite nifty. Was it said towards the end of the stream or on the beggining of it? I know we will find out tommorow, but the suspense is killing me :p

Mongols can be blonde too.

Yes, that's true (and if I remember correctly Genghis Khan may have been a redhead) but when people think of blonds these days they only think of Caucasians.

The only issue I have with either is the unusually red tint of the Indian portraits' skin. And I'm worried that some elements of the Turkish portrait packs may look out of place for later Turks, e.g. Seljuk and Ottoman Turks. Like the yurt mosques...

Still, if there's anything else we've learned from this, it's that there might be a new early Ottoman bey on the east Caspian (hard to tell due to the absence of any indication of what year it is in that particular screenshot)!

Yes, it's the very red tint that bugs me out, too.

I can totally "believe" in those Turkish portraits for Seljuks in Persia and Anatolia, I have no problem with it. But the pagoda castles and yurt mosques are totally out of place for non-nomadic Turks (like Seljuks who have adopted sedentary and/or urban lifestyles and Persian civilization. They are awful for Volga-Bulgaria and the Khazars, if I know anything about them. I hope the game would so clever to change holding pictures depending not just on province culture but religion, too. Somehow I think the current holding pictures are fine for Tengri Turkic peoples but not for peoples who have adopted any of the Abrahamic faiths.

But I do have to say, I'm really interested to see how/if the CPR mod is going to include these new portrait packs. Should be neat.
This. I am looking forward to seeing what wonders Cybr can pull with these assets.