• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't they make a new Roman game without calling it EU:Rome 2? I heard that EU:Rome was pretty bad. They may want to sever the link between the two games.

Crusader Kings I wasn't all that great, either.

Crusader Kings I wasn't all that great, either.

Its name stands without reference to another game though. Rome II seems to be too close to Rome II: Total War, whereas EU:Rome II would be silly seeing as Paradox should be drawing mechanics from other games in its lineup.

Its name stands without reference to another game though. Rome II seems to be too close to Rome II: Total War, whereas EU:Rome II would be silly seeing as Paradox should be drawing mechanics from other games in its lineup.
Agree, people might confuse a Paradox Roman game with that failed product if they used EU:Rome II as the name.

Admittedly, the name is clunky. But, sadly, due to the innate gravitas of the Latin language, almost every good name for a Roman grand strategy game has been taken, often times repeatedly.

Rome? Check.
Imperium? Check.
SPQR? Check.
Caesar? Very Check.

Admittedly, the name is clunky. But, sadly, due to the innate gravitas of the Latin language, almost every good name for a Roman grand strategy game has been taken, often times repeatedly.

Rome? Check.
Imperium? Check.
SPQR? Check.
Caesar? Very Check.
Age of Rome? Unchecked.
Dawn of Rome?Unchecked.
Clash of Civilizations?It's the name of a book, but no game uses that name, not sure if you can use it.
March of Legions?Unchecked.
Rome's Ambition?Unchecked.
Fight for Rome?Unchecked.
Battle for Rome?Unchecked.
Romana Universalis?Unchecked.No idea why the game was called EU:Rome to begin with. Sure,Rome's in Europe,but the game was more about the Roman world,not European countries in general.

There's plenty of names you PI can try.EU:Rome just sounds bland.

Last edited:
Age of Rome? Unchecked.
Dawn of Rome?Unchecked.
Clash of Civilizations?It's the name of a book, but no game uses that name, not sure if you can use it.
Romana Universalis?Unchecked.No idea why the game was called EU:Rome to begin with. Sure,Rome's in Europe,but the game was more about the Roman world,not European countries in general.

Urbs in nominative, "City", or Urbis in genitive, "related to the City", which was the actual word that the Romans used all the time to speak about The City (Rome): Against all odds, and defying common sense, not taken yet by any game.

EU: Rome was an awful name. We all can agree on that.

Urbs in nominative, "City", or Urbis in genitive, "related to the City", which was the actual word that the Romans used all the time to speak about The City (Rome): Against all odds, and defying common sense, not taken yet by any game.

EU: Rome was an awful name. We all can agree on that.
No, I like EU:Rome. I think Total war Rome was a stupid name.

No, I like EU:Rome. I think Total war Rome was a stupid name.

"Europa" was hardly a thing by then, the game is definitely not "Universalis" in its scope, and it's not an installment of the EU series but a side project.

But the "Rome" part of the name is accurate, certainly :p

I get the "Europa Universalis: Rome" name was supposed to take advantage of the reputation of the series, but it's pretty non-sensical anyway. It's like being a famous cheese maker, start selling bikes too, and calling them "Delicious Cheese: Bikes".

they shouldn't even call it Rome. Concentrate on the era not on Rome. In fact I only played as Rome in EU:Rome in my third game. So, Classic Era Universalis :)

they shouldn't even call it Rome. Concentrate on the era not on Rome. In fact I only played as Rome in EU:Rome in my third game. So, Classic Era Universalis :)
With that logic why isn't eu4 then called Renaissance universalis

Also, I feel some of the naming has to do with search results.

Augustus has to be Rome 2.

Though certainly not titled Rome 2. The TW game took that so Dox would call it something different. Perhaps, even, just Augustus?

Age of Rome? Unchecked.
Dawn of Rome?Unchecked.

Yeah, you can form any number of names by adding a number of words. Thats how language works. But notice that most of your suggestions are "X of Rome". Thats not much variety.

'Augustus' itself is a perfect name for Rome II. Simple, to the point, original and Romanesque.

'Augustus' itself is a perfect name for Rome II. Simple, to the point, original and Romanesque.
Excellent,brilliant.

Yeah, you can form any number of names by adding a number of words. Thats how language works. But notice that most of your suggestions are "X of Rome". Thats not much variety.
More variable than what you suggested. You said that every good name for a Roman game has been taken.The ones I suggested are alright if a bit unimaginative.

Last edited:
Excellent,brilliant.

Hmmm . . . it would sound rather like the game was specifically about Augustus Caesar rather than the classical period in general.

Rome? Check.
Imperium? Check.
SPQR? Check.
Caesar? Very Check.

I think you mean to say "compendiousness", not "gravitas".

CyaN said:

"Urbs" is a great name for a Roman strategy game. Well suggested.

It's awkward Latin and doesn't mean anything interesting.

"Imperium Sine Fine" (Empire without End) would be a grand title. It's a highly relevant and elegant phrase, and comes from an enormously famous line of the Aeneid.

Why? it means "antiquity of the world", very relevant

Also, Urbi et orbi

Status
Not open for further replies.