• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too bad this has nothing to do with actual gameplay benefits of that decision. There is pretty much never a gameplay reason to blind or castrate someone. In my opinion it should give some bonus to relations with one's vassals, reflecting that they would think twice before they cross such a ruthless ruler. Similar to "crushed a major revolt" really.

Blinding/castrating enemy dukes/kings who I have caught during war shouldn't cause any problem to me. Apart from them hating me. Doing that stuff to your vassals might cause problems.

Blinding/castrating enemy dukes/kings who I have caught during war shouldn't cause any problem to me. Apart from them hating me. Doing that stuff to your vassals might cause problems.

You could have ransomed those guys and gotten a bit of cash or, if you wanted them dead, you could have just executed them, or left them to die. Blinding/castrating can only earn you cruel, which is a trait you don't want your ruler to have. Gameplay wise there is never a reason to blind. Castrating, I can only think of one case in which you could do it for gameplay reasons, i.e. you have captured some kinsman, who you do not want to inherit something (castrated characters are removed from succession afaik), but you don't want to outright execute them, because you would get kinslayer. That's about its only use.

Blinding/castrating someone should render them ineligible for a claim faction: historically speaking, mutilation (e.g. blinding/castration) made one unfit for the throne, with the sole exception being Justinian II (even then, outside of the game's timeframe). Perhaps a malus from all other characters? That would make them extremely unlikely to be the head of a claimant faction, unless through hard work (as a human player) or extremely rare luck as the AI.

You could have ransomed those guys and gotten a bit of cash or, if you wanted them dead, you could have just executed them, or left them to die. Blinding/castrating can only earn you cruel, which is a trait you don't want your ruler to have. Gameplay wise there is never a reason to blind. Castrating, I can only think of one case in which you could do it for gameplay reasons, i.e. you have captured some kinsman, who you do not want to inherit something (castrated characters are removed from succession afaik), but you don't want to outright execute them, because you would get kinslayer. That's about its only use.

You ruined all the fun.

Also I would advice to be cautious with extending the choices to everyone by modding the files, last time I did this after a 100 years europe was riddled with blind and castrated people (If you do so maybe put the piety cost a bit higher, I don't really know how much the AI factors it when making decisions).

I once saw Basileos castrate Sunni Caliph. I am fairly sure the Caliph was overjoyed as that sort of ensured a long, succesful and decadence free reign :D

The funny part was that this was during war when Caliph attacked so rather than ending the war, Basileos just kicked his ass regularly. I wonder what he did with the offending member though. Perhaps he dipped it to molten brass and attached it to some cerubh statue.

Oh and right after this, Byzantines started offensive war and Caliph was captured again. And rather than ending war, Basileos just plucked out his eyes. It was fairly hilarious.

I once saw Basileos castrate Sunni Caliph. I am fairly sure the Caliph was overjoyed as that sort of ensured a long, succesful and decadence free reign :D

The funny part was that this was during war when Caliph attacked so rather than ending the war, Basileos just kicked his ass regularly. I wonder what he did with the offending member though. Perhaps he dipped it to molten brass and attached it to some cerubh statue.

Oh and right after this, Byzantines started offensive war and Caliph was captured again. And rather than ending war, Basileos just plucked out his eyes. It was fairly hilarious.
You sir are a genius! Culture shift to the Byzantine culture group to micro-manage dat decadence!

He didn't saw it coming ...

Personally, I think blinding/castrating is more of a disadvantage than it is an advantage.

Realms tends to be more unstable due to the AI blinding/castrating everyone and then thinking that a minor Honorary Title is going to make up for it.

In my Byz to Roman Empire game, I didnt notice many blinded/castrated people running around. Maybe it was toned down in a recent patch or something. Or maybe I just got lucky. I was kind of expecting every other character to be blinded or castrated, but I noticed that even when count vassals would rebel against their dukes & be imprisoned, they were very rarely blinded or castrated.