• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The game looks interesting, & the mods released for it might be great, but unfortunately Paradox in its wisdom decided to block non owners of game looking at mod forums on their later releases. Seems self defeating to me, as I gain a lot of knowledge about a game by looking at the mods available for it..

I also was never happy about blocking users looking at the mod forums.

For March of the Eagles, there are now two versions of the 1792 mod. The original and a new one where we added historical forces (and a reworked combat system - one of my ideas). Much research (I only did the coding not the research) even down to putting in ever ship of the period with it's proper name. Admittedly, not all frigates are in, and I refused to put in ships smaller than frigates (which we lacked accurate data on anyway). The armies make the assumption that all units are at full strength (which they historically weren't, but we can't find out exactly how understrength particular regiments were in 1792). That there was good data for even the Turks was a surprise to me.

More recently I added a "for fun" mod. Europe broken up into smaller nations.

My multiplayer group uses this one to just roll dice, pick a nation, and fight it out. Not facing off the terror that is France as in the regular game.

Much effort also went into fixing up the naval war (in the 1792 mod), and some other bugs that mods could fix. One bug I could never fix was occassionly having zero strength armies occur - only seems to happen when regiments are excessivly wiped out (possibly causing a -ve number to occur ? Don't know. But the game does not check for zero strength forces so this can occur).

There is also recently announced 1848 mod in development.

But overall, little activity compared to titles Paradox is supporting better.

Roberttxx - Thank you for the information. Shame so little activity, but as I mentioned if people cannot get full access to see what the game is about, they don't buy the game, which leads to limited interest. A never ending spiral.

The game needed the same level of detail as an HOI game to be truly interesting. EU/CK mechanics don't quite work to make a small-timeframe game interesting.

The reason they are blocked for not registered users is pretty much the only DRM we have. If you could see the mods, then you could download them. It was a decision we made and I hope you can have some sort of understanding for that.

The game needed the same level of detail as an HOI game to be truly interesting. EU/CK mechanics don't quite work to make a small-timeframe game interesting.

MotE was - I thought - quite delibrately not at the same level of detail as HOI.

My group uses this as a "quick, fun, move armies and fight wars" type game.

In my current multiplayer game of MotE, last night my infantry-centric Austrian army (122,000 men) went up against an French army (98,000 men) which was artillery-centric. After two game years of planning and preperation.....my army lost 50,000 men for about 25,000 French casualties. We surrendered, but are certainly not out of the game. On the positive side Austria's other neighbors now fear the French greatly and don't want to see us annihilated for the French to occupy. It is designing armies, maneuvering, cutting off lines of supply if we can, arranging allies, etc - not as complex as a HOI game, we don't have continuous fronts just a couple of armies to move across the map.

IMHO, it serves its purpose for the level of game it is intended to be.

When HOI 4 is out, we'll be leaping into that (and see if we want to make any mods).

And regards the commend on access to mod directory by BjornB, yes agree that I do see the reason for this. I was saying that I thought it was a trade-off. That the downside was that casual viewers (i.e. potiential customers) can't readily see what mods were present (if they are any good) and if they are finished to a playable state - which is why I made my post.

When I started playing MotE I fairly quickly went to playing the 1792 mod and only rarely went back to the regular game. I'd advocate that it would be beneficial to players and Paradaox if there was a better mechanism to let people find out about the mods. Even if it was just the mod summary list stripped of any download links.

If you could see the mods, then you could download them.
Don't think this is true, unless something has changed with the forum management software you use. In the past, visitors had read access to the mod forums; you only needed to log in/register to download things. That changed with CK2, IIRC. It wasn't a good decision, IMHO, and it's particularly bad for a game like MotE.

Maybe the forum updated they had changed that, i dunno.

Maybe the forum updated they had changed that, i dunno.
Nah, I just checked and it's still that way for EU3, so clearly it's still possible. No idea whether it was a conscious decision to change it for CK2 or whether someone just set it up that way and people are now insisting that it has to be that way.

Just represents an (admittedly minor) extra hoop people have to jump through if they want to check out the mods.

I believe mod forums should be visible but downloading the mods should be allowed only for registered users. I know many people who bought CK2 just for the mods, I am sure that would get MotE some extra sales if the mods were visible. CK2 mods are famous so even if the customer can't see them on the forums the more popular ones are quite often talked about on other sites. On the other hand for MotE only this forums has anything about them.