• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cooljoe64

Corporal
67 Badges
Aug 17, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
First AAR ever, I have a basic understanding of the game (a Level up from a noob), and well all I can hope is too win.

Game: Darkest Hour
Scenario: 1943 - The Tide has Turned

Turn the Tide Back

PROLOGUE​

Italian Dictator Mussolini and his staff look over a map of Europe and they could only conclude one thing........this war sucked. Sure gains were made in France, Greece, and Yugoslavia. But with an outdated army, it's African colonies lost, and the people losing more and more faith as the war was slowly going sour, well the cons had outwieghed the pros now. Even there mighty ally Germany who was seemingly invincible was having it's own troubles. The Disaster at Stalingrad shook the core of the Eastern Front. Currently the German Army was engaging it's own offensive's and redirecting more and more soldiers to the Eastern Front. They did however sent a few Panzers to help the Italian Army. Still with the Allied invasion of Sicily, Mussolini realized one thing, either enact new radical policies or continue current one's that are failing. Realizing it's now or never, Italy completely change's it's economy and army production.

fs69.png
[/URL][/IMG]

All the ships are cancelled and despite vocal criticism from Renato Sandalli, Chief of the Italian Navy, but it was clear the army was a priority. 1939 divisions were being built, and thanks to the cancelling of the ships it freed much IC of the country. The economy was reorganized, CG and production were kept positive to keep the population happy. However this in turn gave way to shortages in other areas. Supplies became harder to manage while reinforcements were slow to arrive. Not to mention the upgrades being handled. Meanwhile 1942 infantry is being researched. Perhaps the army could be quality instead of quanity?

Now came the fight. Mussolini was already struggling with the increasing doubt by his own peers. The landings on Sicily gave him a clear message. Manage the situation or your out. Therefore when the British launched an offensive from Saricuse onto Catinia a stand was ordered. Offensive supplies were rushed to the men and the Defense of Catinia was a priority. More soldiers from Messina were rushed also when the British started to gain an edge. At the same time German Panzers came to protect Messina while another one helped defend the Italians. It was a bloodly battle with the British making several breakthroughs. However in August reinforcements arrived and helped repel the attack. Still the causalities were bad.

071j.png
[/URL][/IMG]

More soldiers were still being rushed to the boot (some were strategically redeploy incase of a fall back but plans were also made to transport more men if the Sicily could hold.

Despite the victory it is a minor one. The British are still on the island, Germany war's with the Soviet Union is a question of how long until the front collapses. Not to mention rumors of a planned Allied invasion of France. The economy is still facing problems, especially with energy and oil being struggled to retain. Their's also the looming danger that the Soviets could reach the Romanian oil fields that Italy is increasingly relying upon.

The Allies say the tide has turned but despite these issue's Mussolini decides to break it down. First objective will be to route the British off Sicily while building a capable army. After that it is unclear what could be done next. An invasion of Africa to draw Allied forces? Support Germany in it's war with the Eastern Bear? Perhaps try to bring Spain into the conflict, it would greatly help. Whatever lie's ahead, Italy will not fall!

This AAR will be dedicated to Noobs, Newbies, Beginners, Newcomers, Amateurs, and just people who want to like Hearts of Iron but are overwhelmed by what seems

Chapter One: Retaking Sicily​

The Defense of Cantinia was a success and the army rested. German Panzers however did not want to let the British rest and so they launched an attack onto Palermo, capital of Sicily. When it was realized the city was a supply depot, Mussolini immediately ordered an offensive. The British were routed off and as a result effectively cut them from their supplies.

It was then decided by the Italian High Command to let the British feel the effects of no supplies until the army could receive more reinforcements. When soldiers came from the mainland, they were exhausted on August 15, they were exhausted and as such the planned offensive was postponed. The Germans however had other ideas wanting to eject the allies immediately attacked. Not to be outdone, supplies were rushed and the Italians attacked.

The British proved to be fierce fighters with none other then General Bernard Montgomery commanding the defense. However it seemed their was doubt with in his circle due to the failed attack Catinia. What turned into a stalemate suddenly became an Italo-German victory.

The soldiers who surrendered were taken prisoner whilst General Montgomery was immediately taken by the Germans, saying something about propaganda. Still a minor celebration was carried out over the victory of Sicily.

It's hard to believe we managed to win. We beat the British when dark times were ahead. Could this be the start of something greater?"

-Anonymous Italian Soldier

Still the victory in Sicily pales in comparison to the situation of the Eastern Front

They just don't stop coming........they are endless! We keep retreating while we hear our comrades are being encircled! How long till we will have retreat to Berlin​

-Anonymous German Soldier​

Already a few German Generals, seeing Italy's success approach Mussolini with a proposition. Take control of the German Armed Forces to repulse the Russian horde, the option is open. Mussolini does not make a decision, how on earth could he could such a wide an difficult front? Italy is worried through as the Soviets steadily make progress. What would happen if the German lines collasped? A massive Soviet attack in Eastern Europe would threaten Italy when she can in no way fight the Red Army.

Another option however is to maybe re invade Africa to fight the Allied powers. With another front open, it would do good. Still what about the potential threat from across the English channel?

Sicily was a small victory, not Italy must prepare for the real war.

Curious will the Allies still do D-Day or since Italy didn't fall that event won't fire? And what are Germany odds at stabilizing the Eastern Front? It's still a one front war.

Great job so far! I've actually started an Italy AAR from 1936 - but I want a good few chapters done before I put it up. Keep it up! :D Ill be keeping up with this AAR.

I'm glad you like it but I'm going to have to put it on hold. I tried invading Africa but the US forces are too strong and then the Royal Navy comes and crushes the protection for my transports. Germany is steadily losing on the Eastern Front and I do not simply have the manpower to make a huge difference. *Sigh*

Next time I make an AAR I'll make sure I have more options

Good going,post more plox,I wanna to see how you will defeat Soviet Union