• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Beginning of Rule of Sebastião I

Coming to power at age 25, after the sudden death of his brother, King José I, Sebastião was not really prepared to be a King. After all, his destiny would be to remain Duke of Coimbra and support his brother as much as possible. Now, he was suddenly at the helm of the biggest Empire on Earth. Still, Sebastião had been an advisor to his brother and he took over without a hitch.

Dom_Sebastiao_de_Portugal.jpg

The new King

War with Yemen

Amongst other things, Sebastião I inherited a war. In the beginning, it was meant as small conquest in the Arabian Peninsula, but from day one, the war escalated. Allies of Yemen- Mali, Persia, Tripoli and most importantly, the Ottoman Empire, joined the war. Ottomans being the most dangerous here- but soon, Portuguese fleet was blockading Istanbul.

As for the rest of the war- Portuguese Asian armies were sieging Mocha and Island of Socotra, the original targets of this war. Meanwhile, Yemeni troops were sieging Majerteen, Portuguese Tip of Africa. But the first battle of the war was actually fought with Mali in March 1611. 18 000 Portuguese, shipped in from Europe, attacked the Mali soldiers in Wolof, now Portuguese territory for about 150 years. Mali had improved- taking the idea of cannons from Portuguese. Now, they had an army of 8000 spearman and 80 cannons- and of course, they were still utterly defeated by the Portuguese.

portugal308.jpg

First battle of the war

The next battle was with the next army of Mali- in August 1611, Portuguese armies had marched deep into enemy territory and attacked another Malinese army in Jenne. Once again, nearly half of the enemy were killed while Portuguese suffered only some losses. About the same time, Mocha fell to Portuguese soldiers. The main war target was now in Portuguese hands.

Also in August 1611, Portugal received a call to arms from his ally, Great Britain- a defensive war against Saxony. Portugal took the lead but in the beginning, didn’t do much- failing to notice that one of the enemies was Mantua, located right next to Tuscany, a Portuguese vassal in Italy. That soon demanded Portuguese intervention.

By May 1612, Portuguese had taken Jenne and Segu from Mali. Then, Portuguese were attacked yet again by Malinese forces- the biggest of their armies yet, 20 000 soldiers. They were once again killed to the last man and sent running back to the heart of Africa.

portugal306.jpg

Another kicking of the Mali

In July 1612, Portuguese combined armies attacked the combined armies of Yemen and Tripoli who were trying to retake Mocha. Two Portuguese Asian armies combined their strength (Socotra had also fallen during the last year) and once again, the Portuguese were successful. Enemy was sent running- and Portuguese hot on their heels. In Suhar, in a battle fought in October 16123, Portuguese once again kick the enemy and also did so in December in Sana'a. Still, Portuguese totally failed to destroy the enemy armies- they still kept on running.

portugal305.jpg

For a chance, a fighting in Arabian Peninsula

Meanwhile, in Africa- Portugal had managed to take total four provinces from Mali. In January 1613, they fought a final battle of this war- beating once again Mali troops in Jenne. Once again, bloodying, but not destroying the enemy. Sebastião I did not feel like chasing the Malinese to the heart of Africa, so he did not run after the enemy armies. Besides- no running was necessary.

portugal304.jpg

Last battle of the war

War was over- but the war still lasted for more then a year. Still, during that time, no battles were fought. Yes, Portuguese advanced more to Mali territory, trying to get the score up, but the enemies had been bloodied enough that they did not want more. Finally, in May 1614, Ottomans and Portuguese had come to an agreement- Portugal gaining Mocha and Socotra in the peace treaty. Two provinces for three-year war. Not good- but then again, not bad as well.

portugal303.jpg

The end of the war

Thus ended the first war of King Sebastião I. One war still loomed on horizon though- the war with Saxony. Well, more of that in the next episode.

Naval Ideas

In January 1612, Sebastião I decided on a new direction for Portugal. After reaching the administrative technology of 17, Sebastião decided a new idea. Logical choice- seeing how the Empire has turned out, was of course the naval one. Portuguese kings had been limited by the number of ships they could field for quite some time. Soon, these limits will be more lax- and the Portugal will be the definite ruler of the seas- in every corner of the world.

portugal307.jpg

The new ideas

And i'm still alive! :)
As for the first war, not bad. Though Yemen will get some more nasty surprises coming for them, no worries! Let's just say more devastating ones.
I took naval ideas over expansion for one reason- i really need more naval limit. The current is too limiting for my needs.

DensleyBlair - heh, no way Jose indeed. Though you're right. The EUIV kings don't create the same attachments as CKII kings do. Perhaps a portrait, some sort of family tree or something- here, you hear about kings mostly when they come to rule or die. And some events..

Chief Ragusa - unfortunately, can't do anything about South America. Too many provinces, too little time and my main goals are in the mainland Iberia. Plus, the Spanish have now 4 colonists (all the ideas plus their NI)- hard to race them. And poor English- they had no other place they could reach. French have taken most of the traditional North America.

Trickrs - you lost me with that hometown thingie. Still, thanks!

It lives! :) Promising start for the new rule. As for Saxony... Dark clouds looming closer to home, eh?

Now that you can start to correct Portugal's deficiency in ship numbers soon enough there will be no holding you back!

YAY you're back.

Sad to hear you can't do anything about South America. At least you are giving them infidels a very hard time, very portuguese thing to do.

I'd agree that some sort of portrait and family tree system would work well in EU. I'm a sucker for those sorts of things. ;)

Good to see you're back. And a good start for Sebastião, too. Yemen is always a good place to conquer if you have designs on India and the Far East. But what will Saxony do for a challenge, I wonder? I'd have thought you could beat them easily...

The Fight for Tuscany

Prelude

War with Saxony had started back in 1611, when Portugal decided to help their ally, Great Britain, to defend against invasion of the North-German medium power. Long distance, war no-one cared about. Sebastião I was busy with Yemen and Ottomans, so no battles fought or resources wasted. Unfortunately, Portugal got two problems. First, the leadership in the war. And Saxony was doing great, since neither Portugal or Great Britain moved themselves. Second, one of the allies of Saxony was Mantua. Who were neighbours with Tuscany, the Portuguese vassal in Italy.

By May 1614, when the Portuguese war with Yemen ended, Mantua had captured Pisa, the Tuscan port and were sieging Firenze, their capital. Total 12 000 soldiers in the area- not much by far, but still problematic. Portugal needed to transport troops there and the troops were available in armies of 9000 soldiers- the only transport fleet around was capable of taking only 9 regiments at the time. Meaning- 9000 Portuguese would have to fight 12 000 Mantuan troops. Not good.

FI100.jpg

Siege of Firenze

Sebastião I solved that problem with diplomacy. In the end of summer 1614, Portugal and Papal States signed a treaty, allowing Portuguese use the Papal lands to gather their armies. No agreement was reached over the usage of Papal ports though, so the Portuguese had to keep their navies close to the shore and use the boats to transport men, horses and cannons ashore. A chose, some would say. A logistical nightmare, others would say. “Curse the Pope!” was what people directly involved did say (and that is the nicest thing say said).

portugal309.jpg

Situation in October 1614- Portuguese are ready to march

Despite the problems, Portugal had an army of 18 000 soldiers in Rome by October 1614. The first Portuguese invasion to Italy had begun.

Defeating the Mantuans

In October, the Portuguese marched onwards from Rome. In the end of the October, their quick march took the 3000 Mantuans sieging Firenze by surprised and before any of them understood, they were surrounded and under siege themselves. None walked out alive. After that, the bigger Mantuan army of 9000 soldiers, still happily looting Pisa, also got what they deserved. By the end of November, the Tuscan lands were free of enemy soldiers and Portuguese started a siege to retake Pisa.

portugal310.jpg

The Portuguese destroying Mantuan armies

In April 1615, situation was still quiet in Italy. As for Iberia- another ally of Saxony, Trier, mustered a small army of 7000 soldiers and marched them to Iberia. Led by Werner I von Wittelsbach, pfalz count of Trier, the Germans expected a quick victory. As Werner I himself put it: “One German is worth 10 worthless Portuguese”. So, they marched, expecting a quick victory.

To be fair, the enemy did put a surprisingly good fight- but in June 1616, the Germans were forced to run back across the Pyrenees and march all the way back to Trier. Only with little less numbers.

portugal311.jpg

Germans coming, Germans running

In October 1615, Pisa fell and Tuscany was yet again in Tuscan hands. Portuguese destroyed a small Mantuan army trying to retake Florence and then, marched on. In August 1616, Siena and Sardinia fell (yes, Sebastião had sent 7000 soldiers to siege that one as well). That was enough for Mantua. Rest of their provinces were under siege, Mantua had no soldiers left for war and Portuguese gained a upper hand. Demanding only release of Siena in progress, the Mantuans got off easily.

portugal314.jpg

End of Mantuan War

Integration of Tuscany

In November 1616, the newly independent Duchy of Tuscany was that no more. Their rulers accepted the guiding hand of Sebastião I to further protect their country- and who else would protect them better then Portugal, the most powerful nation on Earth?

As for Portugal, they gained their first provinces in Italian peninsula. One of them being Firenze, one of the richest, did not hurt. A good bridgehead for further expansion. And- speaking of further expansion, Portuguese diplomats already formed an alliance with the newly liberated Siena, a royal marriage was arrange and everything else was made ready to replace them as Tuscany in Portuguese Italian vassals.

portugal312.jpg

This is it- Tuscany is Portuguese

On another note, Sebastião I did something to really worsen the Portuguese relations with the French. Then again, the French fleet in Seville had reached to 30 light ships already, taking quite a deal of money Portuguese try so hard to take from the New World and Asia and shipping it on to Bordeaux. This is not very nice- so, also in November 1616, Sebastião I ordered embargo on the French traders in Portuguese ports.

End of War

Finally in November 1616, Sebastião I looked into the situation with the Saxony. Portuguese were still losing the war and did not care enough to do something about it. Marching their troops across Italy, across the Alps and finally across Austria to save a province they did not care about seemed like a waste.

So, Sebastião I sent emissaries to Saxony, signing a peace. It was actually the first defeat Portugal had suffered in war for more then 200 years- Portugal accepted that Saxony had all the right to keep Salzburg and end the life of a nice small nation. Well, that is what you get for getting allies who don’t care and don’t have the means to help you...

portugal313.jpg

Portugal and Great Britain as allies for Salzburg? Not a good idea!

As a final thing, Siena accepted to become vassals of Portugal in December 1616. Expansion into Italy continues... slowly.

The wars brought on by allies are always annoying ones. Small gains, fighting over something that does not really concern you etc etc...Well, at least i got Siena.

One more thing, before i forget. TTrastámara dynasty in Spain had ended. Following the revolt, the country is now noble republic. Hah!

Nikolai - not as much dark as covered in fog of war clouds. Though- Saxony is quite large.

Mkoll13 - yes, soon. But the problem is- there is still not enough. Need more and more!

DensleyBlair - you know, even a bit redesigned peace screen would give some life to the game. Instead of saying Saxony accepted our peace offer, when it would say King Sebastião I of Portugal and Duke von Whoever of Saxony signed a peace on following terms etc. Would make the poor kings more visible.
As for Saxony- as you can see, not much. But it is so far away, so landlocked and all that makes it difficult to fight.

Chief Ragusa- early death of a monarch is advisable here- the stats of the heir look really promising. Though not too soon, i hope :)

Salzburg thought being allied with you would preserve their freedom. Now, they are part of an rather large Saxony. Tuscany is now part of Portugal. I'm thinking isn't expansion supposed to go the other way? You're moving
towards wars with France. It's been a long time coming.

Spain a noble republic? Let's face it, there's not enough territory left in Iberia to justify the dignity of King.

You need to wipe Spain out I think.

Lovely, a solid foothold in Italy is secured! Soon you could be seen as a revived Western Rome.;)

Lovely, a solid foothold in Italy is secured! Soon you could be seen as a revived Western Rome.;)

I think you mean "Hauteville Empire". :D

Good to see the war was ended without too much pain. I do agree that menial wars that allies get you into can be dull (and, if you forget to uncheck the 'leader can negotiate for us' box, fatal) but such is the game. Any reason you allied with Salzburg in the first place?

Expansion in Spice Islands

Of Brunei

Brunei, a Muslim nation in the Spice Islands, controls the Island of Borneo. They are also one of the most fiercest competitors for Portuguese in Malacca. In addition, in 1603, they took control of Makassar, rulers of the Southern Sulawesi Island, thus forcing themselves into the Philippines node as well. The final part was what forced the Portuguese finally into action. Generals nearby got orders from João IV to start an invasion. Unfortunately, death of the monarch postponed it, but after Sebastião I had fought his first wars, it was for certain the war would be picked up again.

War With Brunei

It was in February 1617 when Portugal declared war on Brunei. Sebastião I had three claims on Brunei and he decided to push the Banjarmasin one. Few days later, Portuguese Asian Fleet of 5 galleons caught the enemy trade fleet of 10 carracks in Strait of Johor. Losing one ship, the rest fled.

Meanwhile, two Portuguese armies did their first landings. 10 000 in Sukadane and 9000 in Makassar. The war had begun in earnest as Portuguese cannons started chipping away the capital provinces of the nations. Brunei had an army of 17 000 soldiers, but they dared not to attack, but stayed and waited for the defence of the capital.

Sukadane fell in November. Brunei fleet was forced out to the sea and lost another two ships. Meanwhile, Portuguese marched on to Banjarmasin and Brunei armies marched to Sukadane, to siege the newly conquered province. It stayed so until Makassar fell in February. Meaning, the Portuguese army could now be sailed from Sulawesi to Borneo as well.

Meaning- Portuguese army sieging Banjarmasin left only a token siege force and marched to Sukadane. There, they were joined by the one sailing from Sulawesi. In a daring display of military coordination, the armies arrived simultaneously and attacked the sieging Brunei force. Even though there was still more Brunei soldiers and Portuguese, the enemy was forced to flee. And fleeing is never smart when you are fighting Portuguese. The enemy fled to the northern tip of the Borneo named Sabah. In the end of May 1618, the Brunei army was killed to the last man in there.

portugal320.jpg

The Destruction of Brunei Army

Brunei still had four provinces they controlled. After the Battle of Sabah, Portuguese split up and spread around all the island. Soon, every last holding of the Brunei were under siege by the Portuguese armies.

portugal319.jpg

And the result- Brunei under siege

Banjarmasin fell in September 1618. Again, Brunei fleet sailed to the sea and again, they lost 2 ships. Sabah fell in December 1618 and in March 1619, Kutei fell. Once again, Brunei fleet sailed to the sea and once again, they were defeated by the Portuguese.

portugal318.jpg

Last Naval Battle of the War

Of Brunei, only their capital remained. It was time when Sebastião I thought- enough is enough. So, in April 1619, Portuguese made a peace treaty. Result- Brunei was kicked out of Sulawesi Island and Makassar became Portuguese. In addition, Portuguese took control of the southern Borneo Island, ruling over Banjarmasin and Sukadane. Even though Portuguese still don’t control any of the important centres of trade in Malacca, their domination is coming more and more absolute every day.

portugal317.jpg

Conquest of Sulawesi and Borneo

Also, Portuguese armies sailed back to Makassar and from there, marched to rest of the Sulawesi island, pacifying the locals and setting ground for the rest of the colonization of the island. It time, Sulawesi will become Portuguese.

Grand Navy

Navy is the lifeblood of Portugal. She needs light ships to protect the merchants all over the world, she needs transport ships to send soldiers everywhere on the globe and she needs heavy ships to keep her shores safe and to project force where needed. Portugal without a navy would not survive. By April 1619, Portugal had 2 transport fleets on 19 ships, two heavy ships fleets, one in Asia and using 5 ships, another in Europe and 20 ships, plus 109 light ships, mostly frigates, protecting trade all over the world. And it was not enough...

In April 1619, Sebastião I adopted the Grand Navy idea. Meaning Portuguese naval limits rose to 230 ships. Still not enough, but a bit better. Of Portuguese Iberian provinces, 10 were customized to maximize their shipbuilding speed and cost- now, they started churning out new ships. Portugal went on upgrading and improving their navy spree.

portugal315.jpg

No-one can contest the Portugal as ruler of the seas now. Right. Right?

Colonization in Africa

In 1619, Sebastião I turned his attention to Africa once again. South from Rio del Oro that had been colonized in 1457 laid the province of Arguin. It had been of no interest to any European nation until in 1619, the Portuguese kicked out the hostile natives and made a small colony there. Sebastião I was trying his best to close the gaps between Portuguese colonies in Africa- before any other European power gets there.

portugal316.jpg

Action in Africa

Finally, Grand Navy! Though to be honest, i'm still short of ships- and i have 230 of them. PS! Imagine the joy when you need to upgrade them! ;)

And expanding my influence in Malacca node again- always a good thing to do. But to be honest, i'm still lacking proper power in Bengal, so some of the stuff i'm gaining, i'm also losing.

Chief Ragusa - War with France- not yet, please. I'm still not ready- but eventually, i think i have to connect my Italian and Iberian holdings and France is in the way... Portuguese Languedoc sounds kinda nice. And for Spain- yea, no wonder the nobles got fed up.

BogMod - while Spanish holdings in Iberia are small, they control most of the South America. That makes wiping the Spanish out kinda hard. Plus, they constantly in coalition against me.

Nikolai, DensleyBlair - Bah, neither Western Rome or Hauteville Empire cannot compete with the reach and power of the Portuguese Empire. From Europe to Atlantic to New World to Asia- i think i'm the biggest Empire yet! :p

DensleyBlair- allied wars are the most annoying, yes. One of the reasons- i don't have time to prepare and i have to react, not do things in advance (move armies and navies to their place etc). As for Salzburg- i allied Great Britain, who allied Salzburg for some strange reason. So, totally uninteresting war for me.

DensleyBlair- allied wars are the most annoying, yes. One of the reasons- i don't have time to prepare and i have to react, not do things in advance (move armies and navies to their place etc). As for Salzburg- i allied Great Britain, who allied Salzburg for some strange reason. So, totally uninteresting war for me.

I often see England/Great Britain (I hate seeing GB so early. I actually tried modding the requirements so that it couldn't be formed before 1650, but it didn't work...) poking her nose in that neck of the woods. I've even seen England inherit Venice before – which did much to provoke my 'everything must be historically believable' instinct! :D

Good to see expansion continues in the east. I can't imagine your finances are too low, what with all that spice? I'd second calls for a world map, too.

eu4_map_POR_1619_07_23_1.jpg

Belgiumruler - here you go, one world map.

DensleyBlair - well, as they say- you can't stop the British! And England inheriting Venice... Well, you can look it this way- Venice turned royal, needed a good bedpartner, preferrably one that did not speak German and here you go, English to the rescue!
As for gold, i currently have over 20 000 ducats in bank, so no financial troubles in the near future.

This is a token post, ensuring that the next episode does not end as the last of the page.