• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally learned that overextension is bad, and possibly ruined my Qing game :(
FX9vQQi.jpg

This is one of those things that shouldn't be too surprising...

Hmmm those stacks seem unusually large. I went to 300% in my Qing game and the largest stacks weren't that large. Did you have even more OE at some point?

This was the maximum amount, and I was also a bit surprised at the size of the stacks. Safe to say I have learned my lesson, don't mess with the chinese rebels...

I have monopolized colonizing South America. ^^
M9EBSQh.jpg

I'll make it full green before the game ends. I don't intend to expand a single province in Europe, instead I'll just colonize like crazy, steal colonial clay from others and rape Africa for the rest of this playthrough. I also have like 50%of Australia btw. (Spain having the other 50%). The only thing is thing that's pissing me off about this playthrough is the huge New Spain which is quite keen on expanding into the Panama region.

I'll have to finish one of these games, in the meantime Castile -> Spain 1569.
AvCGi5D.png
dOzAOPl.png
Allied to France, Austria and Naples, PU over Portugal and Ireland as a vassal. Ireland had England in a PU so I had to put a stop to that. Very slow going at the start as my horrible kings would not die. Also colonies in South Africa, Indonesia and Australia.

Strategy?

Probably similar to this:

If Castile is domineering, as they were in my game, you can become a vassal on purpose then use support independence, but ultimately you're first using Castile to bag Aragon + Portugal, then using France to crush Castile, then you're a western major owning an end node (and in my case a merchant republic) so what you do doesn't matter anymore.

Edit: Ideas are trade, economic, plutocratic, religious. I stayed catholic and can sit on +3 stab for ages due to Pope vassal + 7 cardinals + religious. Pluto + catholic + religious = enough -unrest to lower autonomy in accepted cultures w/o theologian, and even in unaccepted with one, offsetting the only significant downside to the government. Of course with Sevilla + infrastructure development additional land will be cosmetic from a "can you beat the AI" standpoint anyway before long.

No colonial ideas, we just take them away and make our own. CNs will colonize if you subsidize them for 1 month then cancel.

Hey, everyone. I just finished my first full Iron-man run through in EU IV and thought I'd post my results here.

I've played EU III and IV for about 4-5 years now, but because most of my time was spent playing mods this is my first vanilla campaign in either game that I've played from start to finish. I started as Brandenburg with the standard 1444 start date, I went Protestant and formed Prussia in 1536, and I finally formed Germany in 1672. I destroyed the HRE in 1748 and there was much rejoicing. Up to the early 1700's Spain was the preeminent power in world, eating most of southern and western France (my ally through most of the mid game) through a series of wars in which I was more or less helpless and usually forced to find as painless of a separate peace as I could manage. Even with a united Scandinavia, Great Britain, Russia, France, Byzantium, and Hungary as my allies (not always all at once) Spain's army was just too large to fight with a few minor exceptions.

By the time I formed Germany I started to amass a massive coalition, comprising the entirety of the remaining HRE members, most of Eastern Europe (largely under control of a bloated Lithuania), and any other countries in Europe that weren't allied to me. I was able to stagger coalition wars so as to not fight the entirety of this enormous power bloc at once, and starting around the 1730's I had made myself Spain's equal on the land, though my navy was mostly comprised of trade ships and made a regular habit of hiding in port during bigger wars. Throughout these cascading coalition wars I lost my alliance first with Great Britain and then France, due to allies fighting each other in the first case and Spain cancelling the alliance via war in the second. In both cases my erstwhile allies gained AE against me too quickly for me to regain the alliance (though I was able to hold onto France despite forcibly having the alliances ended twice before it became too much), and in the end I decided I might as well eat as much of what was left of France as I could myself before Spain could take the rest. Around this time my military was definitely the most capable in the world (I had full Offensive, Defensive, Quality, and Innovative ideas), but the numbers brought to bear by Spain and my coalition was still threatening. To counter that I added Quantity ideas and that more or less spelled the end of all opposition.

I had forced a large Burgundy out of France as a vassal, and soon after I forced Normandy and Provence out of Spain as vassals. At this time my goal was to come as close to recreating the Carolingian Empire as I could, and I came pretty close. I ran out of time to diplo annex Normandy and Provence, but aside from Poland (I just never found the time to finish eating the bastard. He was called into almost all my coalition wars, but eating the other HRE members took precedence) all of mainland Europe north of Italy and west of Russia was basically mine. There were a couple other items of interest. The Ottomans had an absolutely horrible time in the beginning of my campaign, and they never really expanded beyond their starting territories with the exception of eating a few of the smaller balkan nations. The Mamelukes and a number of the small Turkish emirates had taken over most of the Ottomans Asian territories, and Byzantium formed multiple times (the first time it was Suni and held most of the Ottoman's Greek possessions, and the second time it was restricted to a Catholic "empire" in Chios). Eventually Egypt held almost all of the Ottoman's historical territories aside from Greece which had spawned a Catholic Byzantium (the third time it had been reformed!) which was here to stay this time. Being a huge fan of Byzantine history (most of my campaigns in the series were Byz play throughs) I decided to ally and subsidize their efforts to regain their empire with considerable success.

At least 90% of my campaign was focused on mainland Europe, but after forming Germany and attaining a relatively stable position visa vi Spain I decided to see what I could carve out for myself. Like I mentioned earlier, my Navy up to this point was basically entirely focused on trade in Lubeck and the Baltic so I built myself a modest colonial navy of heavies and transports and invaded Mali. I didn't really do much with the area, but I did invade Egypt and took the provinces required for the Suez canal as well as Jerusalem just for kicks. During one of my many wars to help Byzantium expand I besieged most of Egypts lands (leaving Anatolia for my Byzantine allies) as well as Persia's most valuable lands, and since I don't have Art of War yet Byzantium decided it would be hilarious to give me 20 or so far flung provinces spread throughout both empires. I was able to sell some to newly released Syria, and the Arabian provinces I sold to Hedjaz, but I kept the areas in Egypt proper as well as the Persian lands I was given (I had finished the Suez canal a decade or two earlier so I figured there was no harm in holding onto them). Thus my Middle-Eastern colonial empire was formed entirely unintentionally. Oh, and you may have noticed in my screen shots that Russia was split in two by Perm. This was thanks to Russia stupidly declaring war on Gujarat with no way to sufficiently transport troops to invade. Ticking war score added up and Gujarat was magically able to force Russia into releasing Perm without fighting a single battle because that makes a bit of sense.

I ended my campaign with 520,000 men in my army and around 950,000 max manpower. I had full Diplo, Offensive, Trade, Defensive, Innovative, Quality, and Quantity ideas, as well as 5 of 7 in Aristocratic ideas. I was tech 30 admin (too much to core at the end!), and full 32 tech in diplo and military. My leader was of the de Valois dynasty along with France, Great Britain, Byzantium, Provence, and Russia. I had also managed to build if not the largest navy in the world, one that could stand up to any of the others in quality (Spain, Portugal, and Great Britain had surprisingly few heavies in their fleets).

Anyways, thanks for hanging with me through this whole post. I know it was all a little long winded, but I'm pretty proud of my empire (I know it's nothing that impressive compared to many out there) and I've had a ton of fun with it. I played the whole campaign in just over two weeks and I wish it didn't have to end. If anyone has suggestions on a fun nation to play next I'll happily take them. Like I've said most of my campaigns in the past have been Byzantium LP's, and this was my only significant attempt at playing a western nation. I don't really have any experience playing outside of Europe, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying it either. I'd prefer moderate challenges, as I'm probably not up for any Ryukyu style world conquests at this point.

Attachments

• Final World.png
    Final World.png
    314,7 KB · Views: 60
  • Final Diplo.png
    Final Diplo.png
    203,3 KB · Views: 54
Finally learned that overextension is bad, and possibly ruined my Qing game :(
FX9vQQi.jpg

Cores for Qing really are stupid. Irl Qing conquered most of China in a few decades, but in the game you spend most of that time coring and waiting for the truce to end.

rBcGwr2.jpg

My African power game.

Very nice, although personally i would have stayed away out of the middle east.

Could i bother you for some stats like army, income navy and perhaps a religious map?