Crusader Kings II Save Converter Announced for Europa Universalis IV

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does anyone know if the CK2 converter works on savegames played under mods?

The converter has to be modded to do so.

Does anyone know how complicated this will be? I intend to start a new game today as Austria. I am creating a mod which adds the Titular Kingdom of Austria because frankly there should be an Austria. This is a very bare bones mod and it'll be interesting how much converting this needs.

Does anyone know how complicated this will be? I intend to start a new game today as Austria. I am creating a mod which adds the Titular Kingdom of Austria because frankly there should be an Austria. This is a very bare bones mod and it'll be interesting how much converting this needs.

Call me lazy, but I'd first try the vanilla converter on your save and see what TAG your nation gets. If all you did was create a new Kingdom, I suspect you'll just have to change your TAG to something you like. Failing that, if the plain converter messes up your Kingdom, I'd convert the CK2 Savegame TAG to something normal, which the converter will get, then once again change your TAG to whatever you like in EU4. OTOH there could be a lot more to it than I'm expecting :p GL

Looking forward to the game and converter. Erin go uber alles!

One of Johan's posts is quoted at the top of this thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?705607-Preorders-and-CKII-converter-If-you-own-CKII-from-Gamersgate-buy-EUIV-from-Gg but they've said it in a number of other threads as well.

And the converter's "list price" will be $10 at launch according to Johan.

I wouldnt call that an official response, where did Johan say that exactly? The link you posted is just to someone quoting him but without reference to the thread in which it was said

I wouldnt call that an official response, where did Johan say that exactly? The link you posted is just to someone quoting him but without reference to the thread in which it was said

Just click on the double arrow at the right of the author of the quote and you'll find the quote in the correct thread.

One of Johan's posts is quoted at the top of this thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?705607-Preorders-and-CKII-converter-If-you-own-CKII-from-Gamersgate-buy-EUIV-from-Gg but they've said it in a number of other threads as well.

And the converter's "list price" will be $10 at launch according to Johan.
but that quotes :
If you are among the small minority that bought ck2 at gg and have dlc there, you need to order eu4 from gg. There is no other technical solution...
My question is about if you have CK2 on Steam and you would like to preorder eu4 from gamersgate (the other way around)

but that quotes :
If you are among the small minority that bought ck2 at gg and have dlc there, you need to order eu4 from gg. There is no other technical solution...
My question is about if you have CK2 on Steam and you would like to preorder eu4 from gamersgate (the other way around)

Then you'll get the GG CKII converter, so if you want to convert, you'll need to load your game in GG CKII and export/convert the game from there, assuming you don't have DLC running (like Sunset Invasion) on your Steam version which might cause a problem converting from your vanilla GG CKII. Or you can buy the converter DLC on steam.

Then you'll get the GG CKII converter, so if you want to convert, you'll need to load your game in GG CKII and export/convert the game from there, assuming you don't have DLC running (like Sunset Invasion) on your Steam version which might cause a problem converting from your vanilla GG CKII. Or you can buy the converter DLC on steam.
in a logical way that statement only affirms that steam eu4 will not provide a gg compatible version of the DLC.
that information does not mean that gg eu4 does not provide a steam compatible version of th DLC.
let me explain:
the statement:
If you are among the small minority that bought ck2 at gg and have dlc there, you need to order eu4 from gg. There is no other technical solution.. ( still pissed at the amount of problems relating to the forum petition for a non-steam ck2)
wich means
EU4 from Steam is not compatible with CK2 from GG
you deduct from this fact the fallowing concluison:
EU4 from GG is not compatible with CK2 from Steam
so your statement in complet is:
EU4 from Steam is not compatible with CK2 from GG EU4 from GG is not compatible with CK2 from Steam
an analogie would be:
DOS operating system can not run windows 3.1 programs win 3.1 operating system can not run DOS programs
wich is not a true statement.
>why i think that way?
as there is a technical solution for GG to give Steam keys (and Steam can not give GG items) ∴ there is a technical solution for GG EU4 to be compatible with Steam CK2 ∴ Paradox may or may not choose to make them compatible ∴ we do not know.

(i use ∴ sign for therefor so i we can agree of it meaning in a "logical consequence" way, just to be sure we understand the same basics)

So, if the number of CKII GG users are so small compared to Steam ones, and if it is always a pain for gamers and developers, why not give GG users the copy and dlcs they have bought on a Steam version and just end support for GG entirely? I remember that Neocore did something similar with their games, as they would only use Steam to distribute updates, so they gave all users Steam keys to most of the games they already own (apart from Crusader TKC). Wouldn't that be cheaper in the long run, if you consider the amount of effort developers had to do for having two different versions?

At the moment, it wouldn't bother me that much as I ended up buying the Steam version during the last sale, but I think GG users and developers are tired of having these sort of issues every time. I confess that I haven't got a clue if it is financially feasible but I can't stop thinking that Paradox has to assign people to sort these problems anyways, so why not put everyone under Steam and finish the problem?

I would prefer this way too, as of lately when i read comments from the devs on these issues (be it beta patches or the converter or other stuff...) i feel kinda like an "unwanted son" with my GG version of CK2, even if i just ordered it there because it always was the place to order Pdox games and so it was kinda like a natural decision for me. I never bought it on GG to harm Steam or Pdox or anyone else, i bought it there because i ALWAYS BOUGHT THERE and i didn't know there wouldn't be any betapatches anymore (in fact i thought GG would be less of a hassle regarding betapatches - like it has been before for a loooong time) for non-Steam or that devs would start to talk like they hate me for buying there.

So yes, i'd prefer that they give out steam keys for GG buyers OR they should treat us all the same. But i'm really tired of feeling like a second-class customer! I paid the same amount of money as someone who bought on steam after all! I obvioulsy just used the wrong option, as there was no indication that it was "wrong" back then...

Yes, i'm a little bit bugged by all that!

in a logical way that statement only affirms that steam eu4 will not provide a gg compatible version of the DLC.
that information does not mean that gg eu4 does not provide a steam compatible version of th DLC.
let me explain:
the statement:

wich means
EU4 from Steam is not compatible with CK2 from GG
you deduct from this fact the fallowing concluison:
EU4 from GG is not compatible with CK2 from Steam
so your statement in complet is:
EU4 from Steam is not compatible with CK2 from GG EU4 from GG is not compatible with CK2 from Steam
an analogie would be:
DOS operating system can not run windows 3.1 programs win 3.1 operating system can not run DOS programs
wich is not a true statement.
>why i think that way?
as there is a technical solution for GG to give Steam keys (and Steam can not give GG items) ∴ there is a technical solution for GG EU4 to be compatible with Steam CK2 ∴ Paradox may or may not choose to make them compatible ∴ we do not know.

(i use ∴ sign for therefor so i we can agree of it meaning in a "logical consequence" way, just to be sure we understand the same basics)

You missunderstand the whole thing... EU4 is ALLWAYS steam only. The problem is the converter. The Converter is a CK2 DLC: And CK2 for steam don't allow GG DLC'S. And the other way around. Thgis is the only problem. EU4 is always the same everywhere just a steam code.

Hello everyone.
That CKII feature also did me into preordering.
Now II have a few questions about my empire...
Some of them were already answered by ckiiwiki such as:
What happens with vassals? Duke an equal or higher ranked vassals will become vassal nations.
What about province improvements? The number of holdings in CKII will set the province's tax base in EU4.

Now the big one.

I started with Brittany (culture group Celts)
As a Celt was able to create the Empire of Britania
I have conquered the CKII World and I am the personal title holder of every duchy and equal and above tier titles in a primogeniture succession law and highest crown authority (except the Pope that I will "fire" in the 1400s (I'll dejure-war him Rome as king of Italy and since he has one holding in Britain, I'll give him the bishopric in Rome and take him of Salisbury so to create a sort of "Vatican"
I took every kingdom titles (greek, perm, Andalusia, etc...)
Breton is my culture and spreading but not the only one (actually most of other cultures are still there but that should wear off)

Let's shoot it: How will this be converted?

There is an Austria, it's just a Duchy, not a Kingdom- which is more historically accurate anyway.

Someone else asked whether the Reformation still happens if the Great Schism is mended in CKII, and I'd like to echo that question. If the answer's no, that removes a lot of the fun of mending said Schism for an import to EUIV.

I have a question, it is possible to make a multiplayer game in CK2, then made possible to continue in EU4 ?

Even if it need to copy some files from the host's computer (to make the "mod" work in other computer to have the same checksum).

Thanks

What about province improvements? The number of holdings in CKII will set the province's tax base in EU4.

Can someone who has used the converter please confirm this (adding holding in CKII will boost base tax in EUIV) is implemented and functioning properly? Thank you

Last edited: