Capitalists, and why they build, what they build, and where they build it....

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

long_fella

Major
84 Badges
Sep 19, 2009
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
Playing the US, one of the first globally to be able to build machine parts factories. I am using an NF point to encourage them to build one in Pennsylvania, which has both coal and a steel factory.

Do they build it?

No, they build a level 1 railway in Nevada-Utah, population 408, producing zero of nothing.

/shakes head in bemusement

Yeah, that's what I concluded, which is why I've been laying track all over the US to shift the capitalists to do something more useful :).

But even assuming they do prioritise railways, why would they prioritise a state that's basically zero pop zero output over one with a couple hundred thousand pop and twenty to thirty pounds income?

Yeah, that's what I concluded, which is why I've been laying track all over the US to shift the capitalists to do something more useful :).

But even assuming they do prioritise railways, why would they prioritise a state that's basically zero pop zero output over one with a couple hundred thousand pop and twenty to thirty pounds income?

I don't know but i suspect they go down the province list in numerical order.

It took twenty years for the capitalists to start building a machine part factory in Pennsylvania. Two facts to bear in mind. First I took the national focus off for about 18 of those years (because it didn't seem to be having an effect, and I could better use it on capitalists say). A month after I put it back on they decided to build it :).

So, now to get a winery in California rather than Texas....

Communists baby! Build what you want where you want!

In my experience with The USA, the industrialization wont start to bloom before after the civil war.

It's humming along nicely now, as long as I am relatively careful to remove the subsidy for factories that are obviously bound for oblivion.

But another example of what gets me scratching my head. The USA is producing precisely zero ammunition. Not even any artisanal manufacture. I've been using a NF point to try to encourage armaments industry in Louisiana, which has two sulphur producing provinces. What did they build? A canned food factory. Canned food is something I really don't need, particularly in a state with no production bonuses....

Let me turn the question around. Does anybody know what criteria capitalists use to build what where? I was assuming (always dangerous) that it was a combination of demand, available pops and production bonuses. But one thing that I didn't consider was that they might have been planning "clusters" of dependent industries in a particular state. If they have then I've been chopping the legs out from under them :rolleyes:.

I have nearly no clue either but from what i could gather by watching them. They go purely for the demand. Check the trade screen i see them mostly build factories with high demand and price. While they don't even consider supply.
In my game they keep building ammunition factories but i have several that sell not everything they can produce. But i have high demand and price for ammunition. It's very weird indeed.
Same with Furniture. I have several factories already that overproduce furniture but demand on market is high and price is rising. The problem is the POP's don't have enough money to buy all the furniture so demand is there but no buying power.
The considerations of capitalist really need to check if other factory’s of the same kind can sell all their production.

I could understand that they might want to support my growing luxus furniture industry. But still i have already several regular furniture factories that have less than half employment and overproduce and can't sell about 1/5 of their goods. While all the luxus furniture factories are humming along nicely with full employment and can't keep up with upgrading.

At the same time they refuse to build more Dye factory while those also make a lot of profit. And my textile factories can't get enough dye to maximize the production. Which leads down the rest of the chain. Can't even NF them for some reason the NF has 0% to dye.

Those stupid Capis need a course in investment 1.01.

My "Vicky2 investment course 101 for capitalists" is to work on the principal that if I destroy enough duds eventually they'll get it right. "Creative destruction" you might call it :).

It's still a pain though.