• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(280888)

Sergeant
1 Badges
Mar 8, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I've heard a few complaints that the US is too powerful. I find this pretty surprising since I have never seen the USA achieve its historical borders in a single game I've played. In some games it gets its historical states back from Mexico, but it absolutely never gets these states back from Mexico and gets Washington, Oregon and Idaho in the same game in my experience. To be honest, I've always thought that the American AI needs to be strengthened, not weakened.

Are my experiences abnormal?

I've heard a few complaints that the US is too powerful. I find this pretty surprising since I have never seen the USA achieve its historical borders in a single game I've played. In some games it gets its historical states back from Mexico, but it absolutely never gets these states back from Mexico and gets Washington, Oregon and Idaho in the same game in my experience. To be honest, I've always thought that the American AI needs to be strengthened, not weakened.

Not at all for the AI in a 1836 start. The latest beta patch, however, looks likely to solve this problem, by giving the US part of Idaho to start, and cores on Washington and Oregon, to discourage the UK from colonizing there.

The problem with the US is that is quite powerfull, but first it sphered Mexico fast, and never achieve a military strength to rival the UK, furthermore the terroritories compromising the oregon region (in HoD) are divided between Canada, Columbia and USA, and in Victoria 2 (Vanilla, AHD or HoD) the AI almost never go to war for a territory when the ally is more powerful military. In some of my games the uSA achieves the nortern borders only when the UK DOW them (the classical Second American War of Independence) no the other way around.

Stick for longer in your campaigns, USA peaks very late in the game, the 1900s are theirs. In 1836 it's a long way from there.

They often take large chunks of Mexico late game (further than Modern borders). Yes, the British Washington thing is an issue, as they will never be dislodged throughout.

By the way, do you (OP) have AHD and HoD? If so please register them.

If he was running vanilla, USA would quickly get ridiculously strong - the way I remember it.

In every game I've played of HoD, the USA always gets superpowerful and often takes over chunks of Mexico's north.

Then again, in one game dominionCanada got independence and became a near-GP, and jumped on the USA to take most of the NE after the USA had capitulated in a war.

In every game I've played of HoD, the USA always gets superpowerful and often takes over chunks of Mexico's north.
I have yet to see the USA extend south of the Rio Grande in HoD (compared to routinely doing so in AHD).

I've seen it fail to get California a few times, however (and in one game I saw Canada take New York and New England!)

Ahh, I doubt I am one of the better players here. I bought Vicky 2 and AHD on sale a week before HoD came out, then bought that. I started a USA game for that week before HoD, ended it and restarted with HoD. It is now in the 1870s, and I have all 50 states, plus an extended colony in the Yukon and several extending from Liberia in Africa.

Here's what I did and how it went (not in exact chronological order):

1) Competed with Great Britian for British Columbia all the way to Crisis, then withdrew.
2) With Canada released as a dominion of GB, I keep Canada on high proirity for influence. Never able to wrench it away from GB, but made them spend a lot of influence for a long time.
3) Competed with Mexico for Oklahoma and won.
4) Colonized all the rest of the typical American Western states, Mexico got California, Nevada-Utah, New Mexico and Colorado).
5) Intervened in Texas war of Independence, won, and they joined the Union.
6) After Truce and getting Manifest Destiny, war to get all my cores with Mexico. All would have been 102 WS, so when I go 100, I got all but the 2 Texas border provinces.
7) Got the Texas Bordor provinces after 2nd Truce wore off.
8) NF for bureaucats in every colony on mainland, made each a full state.
9) Influenced and Sphered - (this is from memory, so could miss some): Mexico (after wars), USCA, Hondorus (think they got independence form USCA?), Columbia, Venzailia (sp), Ecudar, Boliva, Chile, Hawaii (later made state by decision), Haiti.
10) Hawaii and Alaska acquired was by Decision.
11) Civil war was easy. Lee moved most his troops (30k) to Pahucah area, where 3 Union Armies, all about 24k each, slid into battle with him (staggered timing), Lee was never a threat again all war long. I won the war in 2 years.

Last edited:
If you help Texas out with its rebellion and hurt Mexico enough, it won't be able to build the fortifications and naval bases in the Cession territories that drive the warscore above 100. It starts out at 86, so you can afford for them to build one fort or naval base (I think) before you can't take it all in one war.

In the new beta patch it seems that the colonization of Columbia, Idaho, Oregon and Washington was changed so that the USA tends to get its cores now again.

In most of my HoD games, the US colonizes southern Alberta and BC before the Brits get to it. Anyone else have this happening? Does the beta patch encourage them to go for historical cores first?

In most of my HoD games, the US colonizes southern Alberta and BC before the Brits get to it. Anyone else have this happening? Does the beta patch encourage them to go for historical cores first?

The US can't colonize Alberta; the British own southern Alberta, so the US doesn't border the northern part, which the British colonize. As the British own the west coast, they can also colonize British Columbia... I've never seen the US successfully compete with the UK for British Columbia (which would also give access to Alberta), though I'm told it happens sometimes.

They must have gained the core through the normal spread (from Nationalism&Imperialism), while firing Webster-Ashburton very late. The decision removes Canadian core there, doesn't remove British one, since there's no British core there at start.

They must have gained the core through the normal spread (from Nationalism&Imperialism), while firing Webster-Ashburton very late. The decision removes Canadian core there, doesn't remove British one, since there's no British core there at start.

Britain and the USA went to war a lot, so it might have been that the USA took Caribou in a war using their core rather than the treaty. I'd have to check if Canada still has its core.

Was your latest game in 3.02? Didn't the Devs say that the fixed the Caribou core issue just then?