• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(144721)

Captain
2 Badges
Jun 25, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Well-known fact often core-provinces don't coincide with regions in the game. It happens region has only one core-province of some country. And the country has to acquire whole region with unnecessary non-core provinces. The same happens to free peoples CB.
It is necessary to have admissibility to acquire /free only core-provinces in a region as with releasing vassal.
I hope this will be corrected in coming HoD patch.

The worst case is when Paraguay tries to get that small province in the Brazilian Mato Grosso state back after they inevitably lose it at the beginning of the game... the only disputed territory is a small strip of land but a state comparable in size to the whole of England changes hands.

Unfortunately taking one province from a state results in some pop management issues for the game. You would have to redistribute soldiers, bureaucrats, aristocrats, etc based on population before re-assigning a single province to another nation.

Unfortunately taking one province from a state results in some pop management issues for the game. You would have to redistribute soldiers, bureaucrats, aristocrats, etc based on population before re-assigning a single province to another nation.

But POPs are already split between the provinces in the game?

The only major problem would be the factories, actually.

But POPs are already split between the provinces in the game?

The only major problem would be the factories, actually.

Certain population types such as aristocrats and soldiers migrate to state capitals throughout the game. Thus you could end up transferring a capital province with 6,000 aristocrats and only 30,000 farmers. Alternatively a non-capital state could have 0 aristocrats and 30,000 farmers.

But the states that are divided at the beginning of the game don't seem so problematic, it would just be a matter of returning them to that state... anything is better than Paraguay increasing 4 times its size because of one minor province claim.

Yes, they would have to redistribute the populations. For the record i agree with you. I'm just explaining why they haven't implemented that in the game.
As Manifestant said, though, they have allowed states to split again when a nation is released, they should be allowed to split via Acquire Core too...

This has been asked many times, and the answer is always no. Paradox is well-aware that some (or many) players would like to only get cores with their CB-- particularly those who start having heart palpitations at the mere hint of unaesthetically pleasing borders-- so this is either a) too much trouble to implement, or b) this is intended, and the state/region is the smallest unit of transfer, or c) they hate beauty and freedom.

They've said it's b, but take your pick as to what you'd prefer to believe. At this point, they really seem unlikely to change their minds.

I think they should try playing as Paraguay, really, it's mind-boggling, they should split the in-game state into two if they want to keep the mechanic as it is.

Definitely not something for Vicky 2 - Maybe in the next game. :)

Just a thought, but would it not be possible to edit the event upon enforcing the "acquire core" CB so that it actually releases a nation with only the cores you have, as with the "release state" CB, but that then fires an immediate annexation event annexing the new country to you? The only issue I can see with this is that it would necessitate creating new nation tags for every nation in-game, with the exact same cores, and changing cores whenever the mother nation does.

Another thought would be to have the enforcement decision trigger a decision to release the provinces you don't have cores on to a neighbouring nation who does, or failing that, to release the provinces as a new puppet, either of yours or of the nation you just defeated, according to taste. I think this one might be easier to implement.

I just end up cheating a bit, and give the nation i won a state from back the bits i don't want. :happy:

Well, at least the crisis mechanic of HoD should give us a way to get those provinces without taking the entire state, but we still won't be able to take them in war.

Can it be fixed by modding somehow?

It already has been. I've made a fix for it probably a year ago from now. http://www.mediafire.com/?b5rrg7xqoj18qfq. It doesn't merit being a mod either, so I haven't included a .mod file. Just overwrite the game files or make a .mod to use it. Unfortunately I officially deleted it awhile back and the script in that file is just something I pulled out of what I'm working on now, so either you deal with the changes I've made to it (some of which are quite significant) or you implement the fix yourself. If you want to implement them yourself then here is the script for it:

..\Victoria 2\events\<some_file>.txt
Code:
(event IDs, title, and desc are arbitrary)
# Territorial Loss
country_event = {
	id = 2575
	title = "EVTNAME2575"
	desc = "EVTDESC2575"
	picture = ""

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
		name = "Damn."

any_neighbor_country = {
			any_owned = {
				limit = {
					is_core = THIS

NOT = { province_control_days = 7 }
				}

owner = { country_event = 2580 }
			}
		}
	}
}

# Territorial Gain
country_event = {
	id = 2580
	title = "EVTNAME2580"
	desc = "EVTDESC2580"
	picture = ""

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
		name = "Great! Give back any excess territory gained and only keep territories with our cores."

any_owned = {
			limit = {
				NOT = { province_control_days = 14 }
				NOT = { is_core = THIS }
				is_core = FROM
			}

secede_province = FROM
		}

ai_chance = { factor = 1 }
	}

option = {
		name = "Excellent!"

ai_chance = { factor = 0 }
	}
}

..\Victoria 2\cb_types.txt
Code:
/** Add the on_po_accepted parameter at the END of free_peoples and acquire_core_state **/

on_po_accepted = {
		country_event =	2575	# Territorial Loss event
	}

Last edited: