• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victor227

First Lieutenant
56 Badges
Mar 26, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
And Now My Watch is Ended {A Game of Thrones Mod} -Massive Spoilers-

After reading 'Release the Kraken' I couldn't help but want to try an AAR of my own, thus with the latest patch of the Game of Thrones mod, I've started up a game from the perspective of Jon Snow in the 'A Feast for Crows Scenario'. With the non-canonical twist of having accepted Stannis' offer.

As with the scenario itself, there are heavy spoilers for the later books, so please be aware of such beforehand, or not mind.

Index

Chapter I: Brothers and Titles

Chapter II: The War in the North

Chapter III: A Flayed Man Freezes

Interlude I

Chapter IV: The Lord of Ashes

Chapter V: Stannis' War

Chapter VI: The North Remembers

Chapter VII: The Crowned Lion

Chapter VIII: The Crowned Stag

Chapter IX: The Darkness

Chapter X: The Second Sword and the Risen Dragon

Chapter XI: Aegon's Peace

Chapter XII: The Thundering Lion

Chapter XIII: Queen Cerenna's Claim

Chapter XIV: Littlefinger's War

Chapter XV: A Maester's Duty

Chapter XVI: The Heir Apparent

Chapter XVII: And Now My Watch Begins

Chapter XVIII: The Ghosts of Winterfell

Interlude II

Chapter XIX: The Lonely Rebellion

Chapter XX: The Green

Chapter XXI: Childhood's End

Chapter XXII: Ambitions

Chapter XXIII: A Price Too Great

Chapter XXIV: The Game Goes On

Chapter XXV: An Unjust Conquest

Chapter XXVI: A Manufactured Truth

Chapter XXVII: The Calm

Chapter XXVIII: The Storm

Chapter XXIX: The View From the Throne

Chapter XXX: A Destiny Realized

Chapter XXXI: Winter Has Come

Chapter XXXII: The Torn North

Chapter XXXIII: The Sundered Throne

Chapter XXXIV: The Squire King

Chapter XXXV: The Spring Wedding

Chapter XXXVI: The Twice-Crowned

Chapter XXXVII: The Blessing of the Old Gods

Chapter XXXVIII: The Weight of Two Crowns

Chapter XXXIX: A Three-Sided Board

Chapter XL: The End of an Era

Chapter XLI: The Strong Dragon

Chapter XLII: The Night's Watch

Chapter XLIII: The Toothless Wolf

Chapter XLIV: The Bleeding South

Chapter XLV: The End of the Squire King

Chapter XLVI: Clean Hands

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter I

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come.

And now my watch is ended.

I am Jon Snow, and in my short lifetime of seventeen years, I have been known as many things. To Robb, Bran, Rickon, Sansa, and Arya, I was known as brother (half-brother in Sansa's case). To my father, Lord Eddard Stark, I was known as son. To Lady Catelyn, his wife, I was known as her husband's bastard.

end01.png

To the Night's Watch, I've been known as Lord Snow, the arrogant, trained bastard of Winterfell who ruled the yard with an iron fist. I've been known as the sworn brother who saved Lord Commander Mormont from a wight, and was awarded the fabled Valyrian Steel sword Longclaw of House Mormont for my deed. I've been known as the friend Sam, Pyp, and Grenn were willing to chase and save from desertion when I heard the troubles of my family. Where I once had three bothers, I had gained hundreds, and in an instant I had none.

To the Wildlings beyond the Wall, I've been known as a turncloak crow. The blood of my brother, Qhorin Halfhand drips from my fingers, killed by me at his own instruction, to prove my loyalty to the enemy so that one of us may survive. I crossed the Wall through Castle Black, and when I came back it was climbing overtop the immense structure with a Wildling host at my back. My cloak turned again though, and I warned Castle Black and saved the Watch, even as my sworn brothers and Lord Commander died out beyond the Wall. The host I once served was scattered by the king, Stannis Baratheon, or a king. The only king to come and protect the Wall at any rate.

Now I am Lord Snow once again. Raised up by the machinations of Samwell Tarly without my own knowing. I've hundreds of brothers once again, yet my heart cries out not for the brothers in black I've lost, but those that have fallen south of the Wall. My father, executed by King Joffrey. King Robb Stark, the Young Wolf, murdered by the Freys and Boltons in defiance of all laws of hospitality, and Bran and Rickon, executed prisoners of Theon Greyjoy, the ward of my father who once mocked me. My sisters lay dead, or pawns of enemies of the name Stark. And before me lies King Stannis Baratheon and his red woman, who offer me a dream I had long discarded. A name. A family. Vengeance for my kin, and the chance to preserve their name and blood.

All I must discard are my brothers of the Watch. But I have no brothers. My brothers lay dead to the south, and the word of a king transcends vows, transcends the taint of bastardy, transcends even the laws of the realm that govern the Night's Watch.

And now my watch is ended.

end1p.png

Last edited:
Looking forward to see what you might do with the North :) Jon Snow is awesome...

I've been enjoying the hell out of this scenario. Though you might want a mod to add "WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS" to the thread title, as it's impossible to write two words about that scenario without spoiling a ton.

Edit: Next question is, will you marry Val? Aside from her fine self, she doesn't really bring much to the party. Sometimes I go for her, other times I instead go for the young Mormont. I haven't noticed much difference either way. Val's got a good enough martial score that I've had her leading one of the flanks of my army, while the Mormont (I forget which one) has pretty good stats as well, and can pass on that nice Strong trait to your children.

Last edited:
Chapter II: The War for the North

There is no better way to seal an alliance than with marriage. King Stannis' words, but it was not he that meant to be married. His wife remained at Eastwatch, and he would soon join her to return to Dragonstone and continue the war with a landing in Duskendale. No, he wished to marry the Wildling princess Val to his new Lord of Winterfell, Jon Snow, or Stark rather.

end2h.png

With a Wildling army crossing the Wall under Stannis' banner, and his own forces returning home in large part, to reclaim Winterfell and the North, I was obliged to accept. Though thoughts of red hair filled my mind when I wished to sleep, and the scorn and mockery of my former brothers haunted my waking hours, I climbed the tower where she was kept prisoner, and in wildling fashion, stole her at sword-point. What followed was merely ceremony.

end3a.png

The wedding was short and succinct, the Godswood beyond the wall far from accessible with Mance Rayder's former host still prowling the woods, and darker things besides. When Winterfell is reclaimed and rebuilt, there will be a greater celebration. Besides, I don't quite feel I could face my father's gods yet, having given up the black and breaking my vow in truth this time.

Rallying up a small army of wildlings, freeriders, and rabble throughout the Gift (I couldn't deny a place for a few of my own former sworn brothers, for if I had forsaken my vows, I could hardly turn them away in wishing to join me), I readied to head south alongside the forces of Stannis' bannermen. A paltry host for the Lord of Winterfell to command compared to their levies, but I was not lord yet. Not even close.

end4.png

The North had splintered with the news of Stannis' presence, and a new claimant to Winterfell. Manderly, Glover, Reed, and a dozen minor houses had risen up in rebellion against their treacherous Bolton overlords. While divided, the North was ablaze in resistance, and while none could take on so much as the five-thousand man host rallied between Winterfell and the Dreadfort, the army under Ramsay Snow was left to chase and do battle in a hundred directions while larger forces closed on Roose Bolton's seat from the north.

end02.png

With Ghost at my side, I ride at the head of the column, making the slow trek to the Dreadfort beside Stannis' host. While delayed and split up in besieging smaller holdfasts loyal to the Leech Lord, the Bolton forces are nowhere to be found, and Roose himself remains at his seat, vengeance and justice closing in around him.

Indeed, amended the title to make the spoiler alert more glaring. Just waiting for approval on the second portion now. I decided to go with Val, just as that seemed to be part of the deal with Stannis. At the very least it'll make for some interesting events and plots later on with everyone in Westeros hating on her Wildling trait.

Hopefully the second part will be posted by mods soon, some exciting stuff going on in the South!

Last edited:
Indeed, amended the title to make the spoiler alert more glaring. Just waiting for approval on the second portion now. I decided to go with Val, just as that seemed to be part of the deal with Stannis. At the very least it'll make for some interesting events and plots later on with everyone in Westeros hating on her Wildling trait.

Hopefully the second part will be posted by mods soon, some exciting stuff going on in the South!

You need approval for the update itself? I've never run into that, but maybe they trust me due to my depressingly long presence and advanced age. :D

Looks good dude. Go kick some Bolton ass.

I've been enjoying the hell out of this scenario. Though you might want a mod to add "WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS" to the thread title, as it's impossible to write two words about that scenario without spoiling a ton.

Edit: Next question is, will you marry Val? Aside from her fine self, she doesn't really bring much to the party. Sometimes I go for her, other times I instead go for the young Mormont. I haven't noticed much difference either way. Val's got a good enough martial score that I've had her leading one of the flanks of my army, while the Mormont (I forget which one) has pretty good stats as well, and can pass on that nice Strong trait to your children.

If one doesn't marry Val I think Arianne might be best if possible. Attractive trait + alliance with Dorne when Aegon gets squished.

Or Dany of course, if she loses the widowed trait early enough.

Looks good dude. Go kick some Bolton ass.

If one doesn't marry Val I think Arianne might be best if possible. Attractive trait + alliance with Dorne when Aegon gets squished.

Or Dany of course, if she loses the widowed trait early enough.

Arrianne is geographically inconvinient and a bit exploity, plus awkward if Dorne declares for Aegon VI (as it often does)

You need approval for the update itself? I've never run into that, but maybe they trust me due to my depressingly long presence and advanced age. :D

Entirely possible! This is post number... well, it would have been 3. So I could see a bunch of picture-laden posts meriting a mod-look. That's the message I got in any case! And yes, I was debating marrying Jon off outside the North, though sadly prospects are a bit grim by the time you have the power to do so. Even Sansa wound up married off to some castellian no-name. Val wound up with some good... stewardship traits though, so at least she makes a good Master of Coin (or not perhaps!)

Entirely possible! This is post number... well, it would have been 3. So I could see a bunch of picture-laden posts meriting a mod-look. That's the message I got in any case! And yes, I was debating marrying Jon off outside the North, though sadly prospects are a bit grim by the time you have the power to do so. Even Sansa wound up married off to some castellian no-name. Val wound up with some good... stewardship traits though, so at least she makes a good Master of Coin (or not perhaps!)

Are Val's traits randomly generated? Last time I looked she had 19 martial and trained swordsman. It was extra fun that Jon Snow's army wound up with women leading both flanks (Val on the Left and the She-Bear on the right)

The AI always seems to marry Sansa to a nobody. They have yet to design a computer capable of being as clever as LF I suppose. Probably a good thing for humanity all told.

Marrying Dany should be a political impossibility, as she represents a direct threat to Stannis's claim to be King AND to his claim to being the R'Hllorian messiah. She has a much stronger claim to both. Dragons > Magic sword.

Stannis's plan to marry Val to Jon was based on his fundamental incomprehension of Wildlings, Jon kept trying to explain that Val was no Princess. Actually even by "kneeler" standards Val had no claim on the Kingdom Beyond the Wall, only being the sister in law of the last King. Stannis thought that the marriage would bring the wildlings to Jon's side. It might actually have worked, but because of Jon and Val's personal qualities and respect among the Free Folk. In game terms, Val brings neither allies nor claims, so its down to her stats and traits.

Also, something noteworthy that caught me by suprise: it seems that characters leading armies are now much less likely to father children. This caused several confusing marriage rejections on my first Jon Snow game where I didn't marry Val. Once he was no longer in the field, the AI lost the "unlikely to father children" malus and accepted Jon as a husband.

Last edited:
Chapter III: A Flayed Man Freezes

My first war south of the Wall ended without a single battle. An inauspicious start my reign as the Lord of Winterfell, but the cold and boredom proved enemy enough. The Dreadfort lived up to its name, and with Roose Bolton back in the North, he had a full garrison with which to protect his seat.

Days turned to weeks turned to months. Scouts and outriders would return with news of the Bastard of Bolton's movements, inexplicably he seemed to be heading west out to the Stony Shore. Was he scraping for reinforcements? Hunting some rebel lord? No one knew the answer at the time, though later I learned that one Theon Greyjoy had returned home shortly after the fall of the Boltons, though his condition was the subject of a hundred rumors.

Roose Bolton held out defiantly, even as the morale of his men plummeted. Did he trust his bastard? I thought he did. He had gone to the effort of legitimizing him, a step my own father had never taken for all his caring. My Wildlings grew impatient, but they held together. Stannis' vassals and the rebel lords that joined us in the siege likewise held firm. We suspected a trap, but with the siege dragging on, there was little else to do but be cautious.

Nearly a year had passed since I had accepted Stannis' offer when the gates of the Dreadfort opened, and Roose Bolton personally surrendered with what remained of his garrison. Winter had not yet come for us, and the local villages and farms had fed us well. Though mine was one of many small forces that had banded together to see the Lord Paramount fall, I was the one to look into his eyes and accept his surrender, it was to my custody he was given, along with Ramsay Bolton as well when he was caught and brought to heel.

The ravens flew that day, pink wax sealing letters demanding all forces loyal to the Lord of the Dreadfort to stand down. The fiery heart of the Lord of Light flew beside the Stark Direwolf and a dozen other banners above the walls of Roose's fortress, and my first war within the Seven Kingdoms ended in a victory and elevation that I could never dream.

end5.png

end6.png

The only question that remained was what to do with the vanquished. Roose and his son were responsible for atrocity after atrocity. Some among the Bolton men claimed that it was Roose himself who thrust a sword through my brother's heart and twisted, ending his life at the Red Wedding. He admitted nothing. Not to me, not to his son. His blood was cold, his face guarded. When he looked at me, he looked for weaknesses, angles to work, leverage to take.

If he thought I'd have accepted, doubtlessly he'd have traded the life of his son and every man who'd ever served him to retain his life and position, but he did not see that in me. He simply did not provoke me to quicker action, buying time with dignity in hopes that someone, the King on the Iron Throne who had raised him, a merciful Stannis, perhaps a Frey host, would give me an excuse to not make the decision I made.

Although I could not yet think of myself truly as a Stark of Winterfell, I had to honor our ways. The old ways. For their countless crimes, Roose Bolton and Ramsay Bolton (many insisted on calling him 'Snow' or the 'Bastard of Bolton', but for all his atrocities, he was raised up just as I was, and I called him by that name in judgement) would meet their ends, by my own hands. I try not to make an account of my exact words, as they were usually simple. Just as it was in this case. “Fetch me a block.” It was settled.

Ramsay snarled, cursed, and threatened with every maniac shred of energy in his demented form, but Roose remained cold and dignified. He would meet his end in a way that befit a house of the North.

end7.png

end8.png

Longclaw sung that day, and Ghost let out a mournful howl to mark the passing of the judged.

The Dreadfort no longer had a master, but the North had its Lord Paramount. My eyes would soon be forced to turn south, but for now, I wanted to return home. To Winterfell.

When I loaded up the newest version of the GoT mod and clicked on the Feast for Crows scenario, my first thought was "I wanna see a good AAR of Jon Snow!"
Well not really my first thought, I'd love someone to do an AAR as Bronn or Littlefinger, but the Jon scenario seems really interesting too.
And this a well written one so far!

Jon is doing well, and if he has the same sense of duty and right as Ned, he will stay loyal to Stannis and try to help him win the Iron Throne back, but I suspect that it will get more complicated, in true GRRM fashion.

When I first saw the title, I thought this would somehow be a a Night's Watch AAR, which I didn't even know to be possible. Of course, that was before I learned that the mod had been updated and this scenario added. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Sweet Topic, an united North would turn the whole Story around.
Although could Bran start a succession war after/if he is back? :)

I was interested in playing the Nightwatch myself but in cannon with the books. Now he always tells me to give back my titels to the nights watch and Grand Independance. This Event is happening over and over again. I have no idea what he wants from me. I gave everything except the black castle to vassals but that is not the trick...can someone help me with that issue?