• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

shi4stone

Private
36 Badges
Apr 18, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Pride of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
I am super excited about the dynamic city growth, hoping to see the city getting bigger and more populated as my transportation network improves. However, it seems to have the opposite effect: I have tried several times when I try to cover the blue color apartments with bus services, after a while those apartment building were replaced by white color houses.... Essentially a crowded area became suburban after I provided bus services. And it does not seems to be related to the economic growth either, and only area I have active bus services are affected....

Can someone explain me why this happens? And how exactly does the city growth affected by the transportation network?

Had the same problem... built a whole hub around a MalMart, and after a few days, it was replaced by a single house. Huh?

Growing is cool, but the cities shouldn't shrink or change once built... this isn't SimCity.

Also, is it just me, or do the buildings come in a bit fast? I laid down a road, finished my line, and by the time I came back, it was covered in buildings. Less than half a day... talk about a building boom lol! :p

In my playing experience i haven't seen any evidence of dynamic growth at all, ive never seen a building 'downgrade' before and they shouldnt do that really.

I'm too confused right now to actually make something out of anything but I did see a building appearing while I was playing around. So yea, stuff do happen around you.

Ok, now the baseball field I was using as a hub (and that drew a lot of tourists) is gone, and has been replaced by a small house and a big empty field. I'm not impressed.

At this point, I'm ready to call this a bug. This CAN'T be the way it was intended. You can't build any permanent infrastructure - the buildings change right under you! This is a potential game breaker for me :(

Had the same problem... built a whole hub around a MalMart, and after a few days, it was replaced by a single house. Huh?

Growing is cool, but the cities shouldn't shrink or change once built... this isn't SimCity. <...>

Cities in CiM 2 do change according decisions you make as public transport manager. This is one of the new game elements in this CiM version. And yes, due the new game features CiM 2 became also some (sim)citybuilder elements. After watching an interview with CO CEO Mariina Hallikainen I know that shrinking CiM 2 buildings is not a bug but WAD. The course of shrinking is, as far I do understand, insufficient public transport for the population groups living in the shrinking buildings. In real, cities also change during the course of time. I like it to play with this kind of realism in the game.

Last edited:
Cities in CiM 2 do change according decisions you make as public transport manager. This is one of the new game elements in this CiM version. And yes, due the new game features CiM 2 became also some (sim)citybuilder elements. After watching an interview with CO CEO Mariina Hallikainen I know that shrinking CiM 2 buildings is not a bug but WAD. The course of shrinking is, as far I do understand, insufficient public transport for the population groups living in the shrinking buildings. In real, cities also change during the course of time. I like it to play with this kind of realism in the game.

I understand SOME changes, that happen over a long time, would be realistic. But some major buildings (like the ballpark that vanished on me) shouldn't just be subject to the same rules. These are major attractions, and in real life, they stand for many, many decades. Since they attract so many passengers, you naturally try to connect to them, and they tend to become hubs. It's incredibly infuriating to extend your lines (at major expense) to a major attraction, only to see it vaporize the next day. If that's working as designed, it's a silly and ill-thought out design.

And by the way - I love the game. But this has to change.

I would agree with the original intention to link the city development and transportation infrastructure. However I think its implementation in the game so far only back fired:
1. How come the places I have the best bus coverage downgrade, while the rest uncovered area keep their tall buildings.
2. When the blue collar's apartment downgrade, why it turns into a white collar house, instead of a poorer, smaller blue collar house?
3. Why I only see this effect in bus coverage, not in tram or subway coverage?

All other issues with the game I can live with, but this one is a game breaker for me-- building a bus network centered at a Malmart, or hypermarket and just when the bus stops were feeded with loads of passengers, the next day, the market is gone, and no one goes there anymore...
I hope the Dev would give some suggestions on how to deal with this.

I agree, the same happed to me. I thought it was due to economical recession, but as teh economy got better the areas staid downgraded. With the mal mart I remember the situation quite good, because I named the stop "mal mart". it also must have dissapeared in a very short time. I can confirm that this happens in areas covered by busses, and that it spreads around, so you have downtown just one family buildings, and skyscrapers at the edges of the city. Not only mals and stadiums disappear, also schools and any other importand buildings.

I already suggested a possible solution for this problem (it is not a bug). The same that was used in SimCity.

A "preserve building" button that the player can set on or off on the major attractions and landmarks of the city (or on all the buildings) would do it. To balance this function, it could have a cost (for example, the building maintenance expenses would be covered by the player).

How can this not be a bug? A big skyscraper or a stadium dissapearng because they don't like busses? Or inefficient public transport network should be even worse that no public transport? That worse that even such big and important buildings move away during seconds? I don't think that this isn't a bug. Regardless this issue, such a button would of course make sense, but not to solve this.

yup, i too have noticed the same.... I had a huge interchange around a Walmart (which was a mission to run a service there) after a week it has been replaced by tiny white houses..... now it looks stupid having all my buses and trams focus on that area.... Also i had a lot of my lines run down a road full of skyscrapers... now its full of small houses.... grrrrrrrr.... what happened to my city !!!!!!

Well I've had the same, much of my urban areas, tenements, office blocks and large commercial buildings downgrading to smaller buildings and suburban houses.

I had assumed this was entirely related to the economy; which had shrunk to around -9% growth.

This would make sense, a city would downsize as the economy shrinks. Part of the boom/bust cycle of any economy.

However, I am now seeing positive growth, and the buildings do not seem to be upsizing correspondingly.

So now I'm not sure it is economy-related afterall ...

I seriously thinking this is THE GAME BREAKING BUG so far I have encountered in the game. Frankly I don't think that preserve building button would make much sense in this situation, except as a temp solution. The fact that the better bus coverage I can provide the faster the building downgrade is killing any motivation for continue the game!!! Because we know that no matter how populous are the area along the bus line initially, after a couple of days, all passengers would vanish as the buildings would disappear, and those now empty buses running in the empty neighborhood will just lead the game to an eventual bankruptcy, or until the whole city became a big suburbia..

I hope the Dev would respond to this issue as soon as possible. before that I think I put the game on hold...what a pity....

I seriously thinking this is THE GAME BREAKING BUG so far I have encountered in the game. Frankly I don't think that preserve building button would make much sense in this situation, except as a temp solution. The fact that the better bus coverage I can provide the faster the building downgrade is killing any motivation for continue the game!!! Because we know that no matter how populous are the area along the bus line initially, after a couple of days, all passengers would vanish as the buildings would disappear, and those now empty buses running in the empty neighborhood will just lead the game to an eventual bankruptcy, or until the whole city became a big suburbia..

I hope the Dev would respond to this issue as soon as possible. before that I think I put the game on hold...what a pity....

This.

It really kills motivation when you are low on money, try to set up a new profitable route and after some days see that all the important areas and points downgrades. I already made an other thread here. I hope this will be fixed.

Actually, in the campaign, you start on a map full of empty houses. All the skyscrapers are empty. So if a skyscraper vanishes, it's most likely an empty one, replaced by a house with at least a few inhabitants. But it does look stupid, doesn't make much sense and if it's a leisure building, like a Malmart, it can be annoying.

So basically buses are useless? Ugh... I was using them to cover the spots of the city that my trams missed... You know... Like real buses are used in real life... :huh:

It'd be nice to hear from a dev regarding this issue. Is it going to be fixed? There's no way that's WAD.