• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ovg

Major
105 Badges
Mar 18, 2009
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
USSAAR - The alternate chronicles

Hello and welcome to my new, and (hopefully) this time complete aar! I'll be playing as USSR in Mixed Mod Beta 5, but with a bit of a twist. I'll be playing a little bit of what-if USSR. No Stalin here, no sir!

As to format, well, I'll try to stick to the newspapers for peactime, then newspapers and photos and screens for wartime, which may or may not end up with USSR vs everyone else, after all, the revolution has to be global, right?

EDIT
Ah damn, Now I see I spelled proof and prove wrong. Excuse my bad language skills guys. It's not my native language.

Last edited:
UPDATE 1: The beginning

jdFG742.png

The Soviet union was not strong in 1933. Yes, it had the biggest army in the world, but much of it was obsolete and all in all woefully inadequate. Yes, it had lot's of industry, but the USA had about 3 times more, and germany was not far behind. Yes, it was huge, but it's infrastructure was only halfway developed in most inhabited regions, and even there it was only half as good as german or american roads. Therfore it had to modernise. Previous industrial plans, coauthored by Bukharin and Krestinsky have already brought some industrial growth, but it still would take years until the USSR caught up with the western world, if it was at all possible.

Politicaly, things were going pretty well. Lowering taxes, rising wages and expanding social security was enough to quell most dissenters and those who remained were swiftly persuaded by the NKVD to learn to love the system. The Supreme Soviet, even though it abandoned some of NEPs proposals, still stood by some of it principles, so things like small privately owned shops, or private land were not uncommon in the soviet state.

One event which would proove decisive in the coming years was the election of Adolf Hitler as chancellor of the Weimar Republic, an event which Bukharin called "the greatest disaster of the 20th century, right after the I World War."

Attachments

• jdFG742.png
    jdFG742.png
    543,9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Seems interesting indeed. Subscribed.

Edit:
Just as the same moment I replied! Really nice design and there are some really funny puns. Keep up the good work and I will sure follow this! (although I'm more of a democratic traitor, lol)

UPDATE 2: The International Internationale?
yHRQREX.jpg

First moves of the Soviet Politburo in 1934 were rather shocking for those who believed in "purity of the revolution". Not only has the USSR normalized it's relations with the US (even though they were still very cold and bitter due to Soviet involvment in general strikes of the 20's), but it even entered a non agression pact with Benito's state and (which was not announced to the soviet public) joined the league of nations. Now historians generaly agree that it was a reaction to harsh Nazi anti-communist policies, but they still bicker and debate about how much of an influence was Bukharin's strong anti-german sentiment. Another bitter pill for the soviet public were the cuts on wages and raised taxes, supposedly to help the country to develop faster both industrialy and scientifically.

The army was still cross whether or not to go fully for Tukhatchevskiy's mobility focus doctrine, as till then it was rather building on top of civil war expirience than trying something radically new. It would still take stavka time untill 1936 to come to an agreement, and merge both doctrines as well as they could. If it was the right decision was still to be seen.

The world was at peace, apart from German extremist policies. USA was slowly recovering from the great depression thanks to FDR's policies, the UK was still there and even the Supreme Soviet cut down a bit on the "Global Revolution" propaganda that drove most of the world to hate them.

Attachments

• update3.png
    update3.png
    822 KB · Views: 54
UPDATE 3: The boring year
B6H7h6s.png

1935 was a year of building up. USSR was slowly catching up scientificaly and socialy. On the one hand, Soviet diplomacy managed to patch up the international pariah's image and the French-Soviet treaty was signed. On the other hand, hostile actions of german spies did indeed ruffle a few feathers up in the Politburo.

UPDATE 4: The breakdown
vq3HMnN.png

1936 would be the year when future conflicts started forming. The Spanish civil war erupted, fascism fighting a democratically elected government, Baltic alliance and Finland antagonizing USSR counting on German support and Polish republic being now squashed between two extremes - the German Juggernaut and the Soviet Bear. But not all things were bad. The olympics took place as schedlued, in the 3rd Reich. Spanish republic and USSR didn't take part.

Ok fellas, ya'll gonna get a big one update for 1937. Baltic-USSR war, soviet war heroes, soviet war heroines, anschluss and last but not least, capitalist vampire proletariat's blood bank...

UPDATE 5: Victory!
b33ncq8.png

1937, the year of war an strife. Not only the Baltic war took place, but also the Second Sino-Japanese war broke out, causing unbelievable suffering to chinese civilians as the japanese army blitzed deep into their territory, establishing a puppet state of Mengjiang in late september. Germans under Hitler continued to scheme. After a coup in Austria, german military assistance was called in by Austrian chancellor, thus causing the infamous "anschluss", the annexation of Austria by Germany.

But for the USSR, the most important event was the Baltic Crisis, which started due to the apology never being issued by the Baltic alliance. The deadline came and went, and the USSR started mobilizing. Lithuania left the Baltic alliance citing, that it was Estonia's and Latvia's actions which brought Soviet wrath. Germany stepped in as a "mediator" warning the Soviets, that they would not stand for any kind of agression against the Baltic states. Unfortunately for him, the USSR called his bluff and soon, thousands of RKKA soldiers crossed the soviet-estonian and soviet-latvian borders.

jOFP4fd.jpg

Soviet troops advancing under baltic fire.

The fighting was as swift as it was brutal. Thanks to ingenious strategy employed by marshal Tukhatchevskiy soviet losses were kept to minimum, coming up to 13294 dead, wounded or missing. Northern front was handled by general Putna, who crossed the border into Narva on the early morning hours of august 1st, central front was commanded by the marshal himself and the southern front by general Shaposhnikov. The orders were simple. Northern front was to capture Tallin, southern front moved in on the latvian capital of Riga and central front was supporting both attacks.

eoh3cJ2.jpg

Baltic "civilian guard" holding a street in Riga

Undobtedly, the bloodiest battles were capital sieges. Street after street, block after block, house after house, the fighting sometimes even broke into vicious melee combat, with both sides using equipement unseen since the trench raids of 1918.

jSiskUE.jpg

Baltic soldiers posing with a dead russian soldier

The war ended with almost 46000 soldiers lost, Estonia and Latvia incorporated as SSR and USSR national morale on the all time high. One of the most beautiful moments was the singing of the internationale followed by the soviet anthem during the memorial mass in The Cathedral of St. Basil on the Red Square. Orthodox chants mixed with communist anthems. True face of Bukharins flavour of marxism.

Attachments

• jSiskUE.jpg
    jSiskUE.jpg
    28,4 KB · Views: 69
  • b33ncq8.png
    b33ncq8.png
    706,7 KB · Views: 55
  • jOFP4fd.jpg
    jOFP4fd.jpg
    36,5 KB · Views: 52
  • eoh3cJ2.jpg
    eoh3cJ2.jpg
    27,9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Looks like a significantly less brutal Soviet Union than the one of our history.

Although regardless it's much too far to the left for my taste :D (Not that it would ever be anything but.)

Good mornin' Paradox! Today prepare for moar Bukharinist actions up till 1940 (After all 1941 is supper happy fun time)!

But first, bump to the next page to save people with weaker connections from eternal pain and damnation and off to work.

Also, I'm gonna up axis manpower and ic and things by 40% if they start getting their rear end handed to them by the allies. After all, most of all we want a good show, right?

EDIT

TWO MORE BUMPS AND WE GET NEXT PAGE BROS. DON'T FAIL THE SUPREME SOVIET.

Oh god this is going all kinds of wrong. Finland, romania, hungary, germany and slovakia declared war. Not ready. Running out of troops. Can't mobilize yet. Japan victorious in china. Oh and allies are at war too. We are alone against the world.

Never in my history of hoi2 gaiming, hell never in my history of paradox gaming have I been with my back so flat against the wall. The germans have what seems to be 20 armor divisions. I have 1 after early summer encirclements. New troops won't be here. We can't produce no more. We can only replenish. At least Finland was knocked out leaving me just 1/2 of the globe hostile. Time to get serious.

EDIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeqzHJRxC0
WE'RE ON THE ROLL. CRUSH THE FASCIST BEAST. BEAT DESTROY KILL.

Last edited:
Interesting AAR, I will be watching closely.