• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most of my game-play experience is with USA and UK. They are naval powers and as such I have observed that the main advantage of radar research is for naval radar brigades that really appear to improve naval combat. I assume that it has to do with improved spotting at night and in foul weather (which can be very important for you can't hit what you can't spot).

I agree that building radar stations is not money well spent compared to the alternative investments available.

In my American Mod though (and all other mods in the game since I change the misc file) I can build radar on most all ships since I permit BB, BC, CA, & CL to have 5 brigade attachments and DD 4 attachments. Although, the reason I allow for more brigades is to better simulate the upgrading of older ships through upgraded brigades which the Vanilla game does not allow as well having fewer brigades permitted.

So, in my games USA, Japan, UK, Germany, and Italy can make good uses of radar research for naval combat.

Edit: I did a recheck of your original 1936 AI files and Italy, Japan, and USSR have the following radar research code but UK, Germany, and USA do not:

#Radars
5410 5420 5430 5440 5450 5460 13030

The inconsistancy just looks like a simple oversight to me.

Anyway, great MOD!

Last edited:
I think those are in the ignore list for Italy, Japan and USSR, which means they wont research them at all. UK, Germany and USA dont have them in ignore list, nor in priority list, which means they will research them eventually, when they finish more important, prioritized research projects.

You are correct. The ignore is indented so far to the right that I did not see it and by mistake thought that part of the priority list. It is too bad that the text in these types of files can't be color coded or the font changed to show the important headings like priority and ignore. My only computer programing course taken was FORTRAN IV and that was in 1967. The rest I had to pick up on my own.:eek:o

Some feedback on your mod Lord Jarski, assuming you don't mind? I'm playing JAP and it is Apr 43. GER didn't bring troops back from the eastern front to counter the USA invasion of France. GER won't last much longer, Berlin has fallen. Vichy is now mainland France by event. I took Phillipines, Guam, Singapore, but am up against lots of Indian divs on the Siam border. China is now on the defensive in Asia due to SOV pressure. If I can get my army reserve in the right place I may be able to do some damage to India. My navy is still intact so I can still transport divs back to the mainland for upgrading. Siam is dead due to USA bombing it to 0 IC. I havent been able to expand my AF yet. I will probably play on until the USA starts to nuke me, then give up. So your mod is much harder than vanilla, I'm only playing normal / normal and its difficult. If GER AI had been sensible & redeployed back to the west, victory may have been possible, but once they & ITA capitulate I will be up against SOV, ENG, USA, with only two functioning puppets.
Noticed earlier in the game the AI was changing some of my leaders; not only my puppet China, but also (if I recall correctly) some of my JAP leaders too. I dont recall this happening in vanilla AoD108.
I got a 5%? dissent hit at the time of Pearl Harbour by the event that tries to change the JAP government (I really wanted to keep existing ministers). That wasn't a nice one. Should I have allowed the govt change?
Would be good if your mod was able to make ITA try to take Suez so as to make it more difficult for the WAllies.

Thanks for the feedback, always welcomed.

1st: Germany

Its quite hard to tweak AI parameters to make them keep a sufficient enough force in the West to keep any allied landing attempts at bay, nigh impossible. Soviet AI is a powerhouse with 400-500 divisions, Germans need all the forces they can muster on the eastern front. So its kind of a gamble, either or, if they keep a significant force guarding the beaches, they risk failing at Barbarossa, and vice versa. You cannot really tell an AI to keep a strong mobile reserve force at Paris to reinforce any beach under attack, like a human might do and so on. So its quite troublesome to find a good balance.

2nd: Italy

Italys strategy of ignoring Africa is mainly due to the fact that if there happens to be a human UK, or later on USA, any troops in Africa suddenly become quite vulnerable to being cutted off and eliminated completely. Even against AI UK the italians would usually get counterattacked by the british and would eventually lose Africa. Ive been planning to give them different set of strategies, depending on which countries are human, but its a time-consuming thing, time which I dont currently have.

3rd: Japan

Nigh all the countries have minister changing events, where they change to better ministers, the events, however, are AI only, so there shouldnt be anything changing your own ministers. Unless you swapped to another country for few days or something alike. I have not added any JAP government changing events, so its a vanilla event, choice is yours.

This mod is designed to work best in multiplayer, the optimizations done are most noticeable in AI research and constructions, which really shine when they are controlled by a human overlord. This is the case especially for Germany, a human in there will do wonders for the Axis, since its in a spot that the AI really cant handle.

Downloading this to check out AoD again after playing DH for a while now. Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I have been playing this mod 3 player networked for the last 5 months. It is great!

I have added my own changes -- lots of them -- especially AI changes that affect the Japanese, Canadians, and Australians. I have done nothing for that USA since we always have a human player. I currently make several tweaks in the game every couple of days and then test out as human USA single player or in 3 player multiplayer 2 times a week.

I have AI Japan legitimately attacking the Hawaiian Islands, Australia, New Zealand, West coast of India, Iraq (have even pushed to Suez from there), the Horn of Africa, and even Monrovia and the islands off the west coast of Africa. They will even attack the west coast of America if weakly guarded. I slowed down their push on China to allow them to build 20+ CVs and switched their ground troops to mountain/marines. This helps out a lot in Burma and even more in successfully doing amphibious assults.

All these changes made Australia vulnerable so I switched their production to all armor divisions (requires human USA or UK to give them a little oil) which then makes them self defendable. Australia and Canada have good production capacity but lack manpower eventually. Therefore armor is the solution.

AI Canada needs a human USA to take control of their troops and lend them so that the USA pays all supply and shipping costs.

There is too much to tell.

Since I am constantly updating the game changes almost daily, I choose not to post it yet. However it is much past the beta stage and is a very workable game with no known bugs. Many of my daily changes relate to new AI switches for all countries that are written on the fly for a game in progress. I have become good enough at this so as to write a new AI switch file and its needed event to fire it and be back and up running in the game in 10 minutes.

If anybody would like me to e-mail them a copy (~10mb zipped), contact me by personal message in the notification system and give me a e-mail to send it to.

New release:

- Added a "Vanilla" scenario option, where the UK puppets do not exist, for those who dont like India being independent at start
- South American AI nations now join the war at their historical date and if certain triggers are met
- Numerous changes/additions/fixes to various AIs research, constructions, military builds, garrisons etc and a bunch of new AI events added, the list is so extensive its hard to write it all down, see it for yourselves
- Added an event chain concerning the Finnish nickel mine in Petsamo, resulting in its rare production rising considerably
- Latest 1.09 (25) changes added to the scenario/event files
- Large overhauls of nations starting constructions in terms of infra/IC builds
- Chinese inheritances are back, and reach Communist China aswell

On a side note, the mod now uses 1.09 values fully, support for 1.08 no longer granted, although it may work without much trouble. Do install 1.09 to enjoy the mod to its best.

Last edited:
New release!

Events:

- Trans-Iranian railway completion
- Central Bank of Afghanistan founded
- Clodius Agreenment between Germany and Turkey
- Defence pact between USA and Liberia
- Operation Zet triggers small infra constructions to western China
- Changed Xi'an Incident events date to its historical date, 12th of December, tweaked the Chinese inheritance events slightly
- Minor AIs now choose better in election events
- Few minor AIs now change national ideas due to government changes from elections
- Small fixes to few events

AI:
- Made warlords and few other nations build infantry instead of militia
- Tweaks to Japanese AI

Scenario:

- Changes to Indias and Jordans starting sliders/government
- Small tweaks to few nations starting infra constructions

Again new release!

Events:

- Tweaks to Indian independence events
- Some changes to Indian AI minister events
- Tweak to Bhutans AI ideas event

AI:
- Optimizations to Indian research and unit builds

Scenario:

- Removed the IC constructions from India, so it now only builds infra, also reduced the trade deal they had with UK to accomodate
- Bhutan and Nepal are now Indian puppets

Updates keep coming!

Scenario:

- UK now has military access and military control of Egypt
- Italy and Germany now construct less IC at the beginning and few more infra instead
- Some changes to Egyptian and Indian starting sliders/national ideas

AI:

- Added a bunch of colonial AIs and tweaked some old colonial ones

Events:

- Changes to some AIs national ideas changing events
- ai_revolters.txt has been modified a great deal, the free IC/resources giving events can now trigger multiple times, meaning, if a released colonial nation gets annexed, and then liberated again, it will receive the event again. Also, colonial nations who have no manpower within their starting territory, now receive a free 0.005 manpower per day, with the exceptions of Iceland and Indonesia, which get 0.001 for Iceland and 0.45 for Indonesia.
- Removed ALL of the AI nation specific slider changing events, instead the mod now uses universal events, which affect every country, meaning that now even released colonial nations change their sliders towards more favourable ones. This also means that there will be alot less events firing, which, in theory, might make the mod run more quicker and/or more stable.

New release:

- Added a "Vanilla" scenario option, where the UK puppets do not exist, for those who dont like India being independent at start QUOTE]

Does this mean that if you play the vanilla 1936, it still has all of your mod additions except for England being whole again as in the regular game?

I like the separate India except for the fact that it takes too much away from England -- like production and research -- and weakens England too much in my estimation. It also makes India too strong.

What I have tried which seems better is to give England off map ICs and resources to get them back to where they should be and to half the India ICs with negative ICs off map. The initial resource trade between England/India needs to be modified too if this is done.

This then restores England as an "empire" while decreasing India.

I see that you accepted my suggestion to have Canada produce lots of armor. For Australia to do the same they really need a pre-game trade in place with the USA of England to supply oil. It would be similiar to your pre-game India-England trade.

Thanks again for a fine MOD!

Yes, ive added a 1936 scenario that has all the additions, but doesent have the new nations, so UK is back in normal state in it.

Aye, Canada is good with armor, as it can easily trade with USA. Need to think on Australia, Asia is not the best of areas for armoured forces terrain-wise and it needs to defend its beaches.

UK-British India is still a work in progress, need to find some right balance for it from playtests, theres a MP game starting with the mod soonishly, will give me some ideas on how the situation is. But in any case, you can expect some changes to the situation in near future.

Yes, ive added a 1936 scenario that has all the additions, but doesent have the new nations, so UK is back in normal state in it.

Aye, Canada is good with armor, as it can easily trade with USA. Need to think on Australia, Asia is not the best of areas for armoured forces terrain-wise and it needs to defend its beaches.

UK-British India is still a work in progress, need to find some right balance for it from playtests, theres a MP game starting with the mod soonishly, will give me some ideas on how the situation is. But in any case, you can expect some changes to the situation in near future.

The reason I came to giving Australia armour was to help them defend their island continent from a Japanese invasion and thereby relieving the USA and British allies of needing to send 3-9 motorized infantry or whatever to help them. The vast size of Australia makes non motorized forces too slow to respond well and the desert areas make cavalry undesirable. Like Canada, Australia has a good economic base but a manpower shortage so armour seems the unit of choice but requires some sort of standing trade agreement for oil from USA or UK. All of my game play has either a human UK or human USA or both so it can be managed. However, in an ai played game a game start trade between USA or UK with Australia for oil seems to work (similar to the game start trade between India and UK). Historically, after Pearl, the USA and Australia and a defense agreement as England was seen unable to do much for Australia's situation. In fact as I recently read in the recently completely 3rd volume of Churchill's biography, the USA had 480,000 men in the Pacific versus 360,000 men in Europe/Africa a year after the Pearl Harbour attack. So much for the "Germany First" theme!

I may have made some minor tweaks in Japan's AI that encourage them to invade Australia more than in your posted game. I have made a lot of minor AI tweaks in your game to make it harder on a human USA player since that is my objective -- to make a better game for a human USA player.

Last edited:
New version!

- Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam now start out as French puppets, they go neutral upon France being Vichyed, and now Thai-Vichy war is represented as a skirmish between Siam and the Indochinese nations, Japan will now take over the northern part of Indochina after Vichy, and will step in to mediate the Thai-Vichy war later on. Of course, the vanilla scenario option does not have this.
- Tweaks to French and German unit constructions
- German AI now attacks the USSR earlier, giving it a better chance in defeating them
- Madagascar now gets its independence when Vichy fires, similar to Syria and Lebanon
- Poland reacts to reoccupation of Rhineland
- Belgium now starts in the Allies, but declares its neutrality later
- Dutch receive some colonial volunteers after they are kicked out of Europe
- Separation of Burma from India now allows UK to decide Burmas fate
- Argentina, Chile and Paraguay may now join Axis if they are doing well in the war
- Latest 1.09 fixes/changes added