• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not sure how much longer Drogon will live anyway. He's about 100 now. There are a few eggs knocking about though.

Dragons can live a long, long time. I've played for centuries without loosing any to old age. Then sometimes you loose one just ten or twenty years in.

Cannonically, one of the original three dragons was still fighting fit for the Dance of the Dragons almost 130 years later, and it wasn't a hatchling at the time of the Conquest. Balerion the Black Dread himself was hatched before the Doom of Valyria, travelling with the Targaryeans when they moved to Dragonstone, making him at least 200 years old at the time of the conquest. So at 100 or so Drogon is really in his prime.

Edit: Actually, there's conflicting information on Wiki of Ice and Fire on the subject. One article puts Balerion's age at his death as near 200, but another has him flying to Dragonstone in the original Targaryean exodus, 200 years before Aegon's Landing. So unless Balerion died fairly soon after the Conquest, there's a discrepency there. Although an early death for Balerion might explain why Aegon gave up on conquering Dorne...

Chapter XXVII

Traitors.

I am beset on all sides by traitors. The body of my wretched coward of a father was barely cold when the captains began to bellow for a kingsmoot, chattering like the apes the Summer King keeps as pets, shitting in the ruins of Dorne. The great lords were already assembled to bear witness to my trial, they said, so why wait.

The whole thing stunk of a conspiracy, and I decided to bring the farce to a close by making mine own case clear before any other could sway the moot. I was Rook's son and killer both, I cried. Anointed by the Drowned God in mine father's blood, rightwise Iron King by birth and might alike. Recognise my rule and I would lay the gutted carcass of the world for their banquet. Deny me, and I would destroy them all.

Some men called my name then, those that had been my companions a-reaving, or marched with me into the frozen hell Beyond the Wall, but they were few, pitifully few. I began to speak again, when I heard voice behind me making reference to my harlot of a wife. A ripple of laughter spread through the hall, and I whirled in fury, swearing that I would find the one who'd made the jape and cut his heart out.

Voices began to be raised in return, men reaching for steel in response to my words. I did not fear such as they, mewling weaklings that they were, but slaughter was cut short by the word of another Kraken.

My aunt Falyse rose to speak, bidding the Ironborn still, and they did, so high was their regard for the old harridan. She began to talk at length of her 'service' to the realm. She had lead our armies for near fifty years, had ruled the Westerlands with iron fist for even longer. Who was more qualified than she to sit the Seastone Chair?

Her speech seemed to have great effect, though I wondered how many of the voices raised on her behalf were bought and paid for. As Naga's Ribs echoed to the sound of "Falyse! Falyse Queen!" she must have thought her bony arse already on the throne, but it was not to be.

Last to speak was Urron, Lord of House Harlaw. I knew the man but little. He was no warrior of note, but he was by all accounts a genial man, one with many friends amongst the Ironborn. Powerful friends, I was to find out. The fat little traitor spoke in soft, maddeningly reasonable voice as he praised my father, reminded the Ironborn of the supposed prosperity of the last decade, then pointed at me, named me Kinslayer, and asked how many of the lords thought I was fit to continue such a legacy.

I nearly gutted the scum right there, but he was not done. He turned to Falyse. She was worthy of great admiration, he admitted, but she was, it must be allowed, the wrong side of sixty years of age. What purpose would there be in holding a Kingsmoot when we would need to reconvene in scat span of years? The Kingsmoot, he said, was not limited to House Greyjoy. In the absence of a suitable Greyjoy heir he presented himself as the best candidate, and swore to rule in a manner that ensured the same prosperity the Ironborn had enjoyed under their 'cruelly butchered' king.

The captains erupted in support for Urron Harlaw, suspiciously on key, and the new king smiled at me.

I swore then to cut off his face and eat it as he died.

The throne was lost, but the Storm God had not yet finished pissing on me. I stalked away from the Kingsmoot towards the Dragonpit. Drogon lurked below, quieter than I'd expected, and I was soon to discover why. As I had been arguing my case my sister Asha had been down there, staking her claim to a prize as great as any throne. The pit was guarded by the soldiers of her husband, Robb Stark, who informed me that Lady Asha had taken possession of the beast.

Fury welled in my chest, and I was sore tempted to murder them all, but I was not so foolish as to discard potential ally, for I did not mean to let the reign of King Urron last long.

I returned to Pyke, which not even the Ghost of Balon could have pried from my grasp, and took stock of what resources remained to me. Urron had been right about one thing at least; the reign of my father had been prosperous indeed. What the usurper failed to consider was that that wealth now belonged to me.

Wealth enough to buy the great lords to my cause.

Wealth enough to buy an army.

I was Bennarion of House Greyjoy, of the blood of Balon and the Young Wolf, and I would take what was mine with fire and blood.

But mostly with blood.

My first action was, of course, to reconcile with Falyse. The old woman bore me not inconsiderable ill will for the death of my father, but I think she understood that my actions were not without cause. The bastard fucked my wife after all. But more than this, Falyse was nothing if not pragmatic. She wanted House Greyjoy to reclaim the throne as much as I, and knew that the Lords and Captains would be more willing to back a male claimant.

Falyse lent me her support, and the viability of my plans grew immensely with the might of the Westerlands at my call. Unsatisified though, I approached the Lords of the North and the Vale, men each wed to my elder sisters. Securing their support proved more problematic, and required considerable gift of gold, but eventually they joined me. Indeed, the Usurper helped my cause when he arrested and executed my sister Roelle, lady of the Vale, pushing her husband Lord Gwayne into my arms.

I promised my sister's ghost she would soon be avenged, and made finally preparations, sending trusted warriors throughout Westeros and across the Narrow Sea, hiring swords. Many we found in the south, dispossessed Dornishmen unwilling to fight for the Summer King. Gradually, I assembled great host of sellswords on Pyke. Urron must have known what I was about by then, but the fat coward made no move to stop me.

Finally, the reckoning day arrived. I sent raven to Ten Towers demanding he step down and kneel before the true Iron King. He refused. Wise of him, for I would have killed him either way, but it meant we were at war.

The Kingdom descended into an orgy of violence, as the Lords of the West, the North and the Vale invaded the Riverlands with overwhelming force, crushing the Riverlander armies in battles near Raventree Moat Cailin and putting Riverrun and The Twins to siege.

I, though, was busy in the Iron Islands themselves. The hearts of the Ironborn were clearly split by the war, for as many Lords declared for me as damned me for a mad traitor. But it mattered not. My sellsword army was vast, and we soon made the crossing to Harlaw, annihilating Urron's pitiful forces in open battle atop Harridan Hill whilst the so-called king cowered in his towers.

Unwilling to wait for the fall of the Riverlands to free my allies, I ordered immediate assault on Ten Towers, climbing the siege ladders with my men and hacking my way through the Usurper's dogs. Harlaw men wear the badge of a Scythe, but I was the reaper that day.

I do not know how long the battle of Ten Towers lasted, but it was the moment of my young life. This, I knew, was what I was made for. To lead men into battle, to smash down the pathetic defences of the enemy and bring them ruin and death. The Harlaw men, and many others, had grown soft and weak under my father's mewling reign, but I was the instrument of the Drowned God's reproach, come to take my crown.

Our men captured Urron alive, and dragged him beaten and bloody before me. The coward begged for his miserable life, but I laughed in his face and dragged him down to the shoreline, past my howling men.

He knew what fate lay before him, and began to beg anew, but mercy is for the weak hearts of women and fools. I silenced him with a punch from my gauntlet and chained him to the beach, retiring further up the shore and sharing cup with trusted warriors as I watched the waters wash over him.

It was only when he had disappeared under the waves completely that I recalled my vow to eat his face, an honour I had just given to the crabs.

Next time, perhaps.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Your usurpation was inevitable.

Yup.

Poor old Urron didn't have much of a power base, compared to Crazy Ben's sackful of cash, marriage alliances, and LP aunt.

That was quite enjoyable. Did the Badics family serve you in your rebellion?

They're pretty loyal to Falyse, so yes.

Ben intends to go a-conquering, so we should have lands to hand out soon...

The Mad Kraken would be a great nickname. Also just finished reading through all of this, good job, the Ironborn are very enjoyable to play. I have a game I started at Robert's Rebellion with Rodrik Greyjoy (Balon's first son) where I have conquered the Riverlands, the Vale and the North. Stannis is king on the Iron Throne and the Reach declared independence with Mace Tyrell. (Theon is Lord Paramount of the Vale, Victarion got Riverrun, and I changed my capital to Harrenhal despite of the curse and started rebuilding the castle).

The Mad Kraken would be a great nickname. Also just finished reading through all of this, good job, the Ironborn are very enjoyable to play. I have a game I started at Robert's Rebellion with Rodrik Greyjoy (Balon's first son) where I have conquered the Riverlands, the Vale and the North. Stannis is king on the Iron Throne and the Reach declared independence with Mace Tyrell. (Theon is Lord Paramount of the Vale, Victarion got Riverrun, and I changed my capital to Harrenhal despite of the curse and started rebuilding the castle).

Thanks, and yes, the Ironborn are great fun.

Update incoming.

Chapter XXVIII

Daybreak came. The gulls pecked at Urron's bloated carcass, and I was King. With the fall of the pretender his support vanished almost immediately as those captains that had fought for him now struggled to be the first to beg my forgiveness. I was feeling magnanimous in my victory, and allowed them to bend the knee, with warnings that they would not be forgiven a second time.

A brief moment of quiet settled over the kingdom as the last embers of civil war sputtered out, but though my armies were quiescent I found myself with personal business to attend.

My sister Asha died not two weeks after I regained the throne, taken by some vile Northern malady. Of course, whilst this saddened me somewhat, it meant that I was free to lay claim to Drogon, for now none would dare oppose me. I sent one of my other sisters north to wed Lord Robb as replacement, for my father whelped girls to spare.

The dragon flew himself home, perhaps unsurprising given that he has laired in Pyke for a century, and it was with great excitement that I paid him visit. The old wyrm must have known what I wanted, but he did not resist me. He could see the fire inside me, burning as bright as his own. He knew I would give him what he wanted. Fire and death.

It was not long after bending the dragon to my will that my harlot of a wife told me she had born a child, a baby girl. She presented the babe to me, but all I could think of were her prior transgressions. Was the child even mine? How could I know? My father might be leching around the Drowned God's Hall, but there were plenty of other men who would find my wife desirable, for Grisella was fair indeed.

The situation was intolerable. I would not have men call me cuckold any longer. I needed a new wife, one that could be trusted. As for Grisella...she would suffer a fate consistent with her crimes against me. It was only just.

As we dragged her to the headsman's block I heard a voice offering me sage council, though no speaker could be found and no one else seemed to hear. I think, perhaps, it may have been the Drowned God, or possibly a particularly wise Grumpkin. In any event, the voice advised me to set true example of the harlot, that all would know the cost of betrayal. I agreed heartily, but by what means did the voice recommend?

The dragon. The voice suggested, and I laughed and laughed.

Crunch crunch. I think the voice laughed too.

With justice thoroughly dispensed, I quickly found a new wife and turned thought to the affairs of the realm. My father committed many crimes in his reign, but perhaps the greatest was that he forgot our words. We do not sow. For thirteen years the Ironborn had been reduced to farmers and merchants, living in a peace that made them weak and made mock of the Drowned God's laws. That is why the Drowned God had me kill my father, and why he insured Urron's fall for swearing to continue the peace. Only a godly man may sit the Seastone Chair.

I would remind the Ironborn who they were. War to cleanse the soul, blood enough to turn the oceans red, the battle song of steel, iron, bone and sinew. But we needed enemies. The obvious target was the Kingdom of the Iron Throne. Though greatly reduced by the conquests of my ancestors and the Summer King, the realm of Aegon the Conqueror had stood for four hundred years. The man who brought it to an end would be a legend. I would be that man.

The Kraken banner was raised in the Westerlands, gathering some sixty thousand warriors eager for the battles to come. I flew to join the host, taking command alongside Falyse, whilst a second army of around ten thousands gathered in the Riverlands. A more than sufficient force to bring final doom to House Targaryen.

We stormed across the Crownlands, castle after castle toppling before us as we sought the main Targaryen army. Finally finding them assembled at Rosby, perhaps hoping to draw us North and away from King's Landing.

We fell on them with all our considerable might, in numbers that exceeded their own by three to one. Finding myself with little need for a dragon's power I led the assault on horseback, carving through the Targaryen soldiers with a song in my heart.

To their credit, they fought bravely. But they were ill-led and vastly outnumbered. It was not battle, but sweet, unchecked butchery. Our army wrapped around their far shorted battle line and we killed, and killed, and killed. When day was done more than ten thousand Crownlanders lay dead, whilst we had suffered less than seven hundred losses of our own.

After the massacre of Rosby the war was all but won and only King's Landing held out against us. But not for long. We crashed against Aegon's city as an innumerable tide, smashing the Iron Gate from it's rusted hinges and hacking the Goldcloaks down in the very streets they had once patrolled.

As soon as the city walls had been taken I bade Falyse oversee the pacification of the city and gathered my finest warriors about me, cutting inexorable path to the Red Keep and Aerion, the Targaryen King. We tore through Flea Bottom, lighting it afire as we did, and passed the blackened crater that marked the spot where Queen Asha had ignited the Great Burning in days long passed.

Finally we made our way up Aegon's hill and breached the defences of the Red Keep. The Kingsguard led spirited defence, but they fell like all the others, the last of them falling at the door of the Throne Room itself. Aerion sat and waited for us in the Iron Throne of his ancestors, and must have recognised me by my armor, for he rose at my approach. At first I thought he meant to challenge me, as I would in his place, but the old fool simply removed his crown and bent his knee before me, asking only that I spare his people.

I had the soft-hearted fool dragged to his own dungeons, then gazed up at the Iron Throne. One last piece of business remained. Giving swift direction to my men I had the throne torn from its dais, then carried triumphantly down Aegon's Hill towards the great square before the Sept of Baelor.

I placed the throne atop the steps of the Sept, ignoring the protestations of the High Septon, and had my men gather what witnesses they could from the terrified citizens, slouching in the throne and berating the Septon as I waited. Before long sizeable crowd had gathered around the edges of the square, and so I rose from the Iron Throne and walked before them, then sounded my warhorn in signal to the dragon.

The dragon did not leave me waiting for long. His dark shadow appeared over the terrified crowd and descended into the square, smashing Baelor's statue to rubble with his tail, so much room did the great beast occupy. A hush fell over the crowd as he looked to me for direction, and in response I simply pointed at the Iron Throne and spoke the word Dracarys .

The Iron Throne, forged in the flames of Balerion the Black Dread, now bathed in the fires of the first dragon that could truly be called his equal. For a brief moment my breath caught in my throat as the Iron Throne stood in stark outline, seeming to resist Drogon's fire, but it was only a moment. Soon enough the Iron Throne was melting, the ancient blades withering and fading away until all that remained was a puddle of molten iron.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wow, Bennarion is hardcore.

Hah, yes, yes he is.

How can you do that? Destroy a title.

Conquer it whilst you have a title of the same or greater tier, then just click on the title symbol and you should have the option to destroy, though it might cost prestige.

Both the Kingdom of the Iron Isles and the Iron Throne are empire-tier.