• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

thatcommiegamer

Sergeant
125 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Protector del santo patriarca católico, primero entre iguales

Well, I guess I'll bite. After reading so many, and playing so much, I've decided it was my turn to take up the pen. I'll be playing the Leonid Jimena with the 1066 start with all DLC and the SWMH mod. The style will hopefully tend towards narrative, though I might get all gameplay-ey if mude does not strike. The inspiration came from a 1.07 game as Leon where I conquered most of Iberia as the Orthodox Leonid Jimena and I feel I can replicate that success.

My Goals:

Convert the Kingdom of Leon to Orthodox, first wife must be Orthodox and must educate children (So I hope I'll get one with half decent stats)
Complete the Reconquista
Form Hispania (España in the mod)
Conquer North Africa & Italy
Assist in Restoring the Pentarchy
Have at least 10 rulers named Constantine (Constantino)
Survive the Aztecs &/or Mongols if they make it that far

Rules:
Nothing Gamey
Have fun

I'll play ahead a little bit, since I have to go out soon and the first update should be up by tomorrow morning (EST time)
God speed to me.

Last edited:
I was going to play the entire reign of Alfonso VI but I wanted to give you guys a taste, and I realised I wrote quite a lot.

So without further ado. . .

Chapter I : A Vision of Greatness 1066 - June 23 1070

It is the year of our lord 1066 and the world is aflame. I am Alfonso sixth of the name, ruler of the Kingdom of Leon as was my father - Ferdinand the Great - before me, having defeated his most unworthy brother-in-law for the title. In comparison to my father I am but an insect trying to make his mark upon the world.

0kMWzuI.jpg

5F63bdS.jpg

This is my Kingdom of Leon, it is the largest of the kingdoms held by my father and the one bequeathed to me at his death, we are surrounded by enemies. To the south the Moors, we in the north have been fighting them since they subjugated us many moons ago. To my sides, my brothers. Alone, they are not much of a threat, but should they combine it would be most disconcerting. I will have to play them off against each other, and for myself. The good news is my eldest brother does not have an heir of his own seed, the bad news is neither do I. This is a situation I must quickly rectify.

LzRU0Gt.jpg

essHuLf.jpg

And thus I begin to search for a wife. I mull over several prospects until my Court Chaplain comes to me with an idea, "My liege, why don't you align yourselves with the Emperor in New Rome?" Bishop Nuño would ask of me. It was an idea that I liked, given my increasing skepticism to the Old Rome in matters concerning the security of my realm and governance of my lands. Thus it was arranged that I marry the Kaisarissa Anna, daughter of the ailing Basileus Constantine XI.

5isw4v0.jpg

At the same time it was ordered that my chancellor begin to spread word of a personal claim to the land of Plasencia, held by the heathens.

7xchILS.jpg

Thus it was that the lords of Christendom came to recognise such a claim, though some thought me awfully presumptuous to bring up matters of personal gain over Christian piety. I would not give in however, I was determined that though I am not the man my father was I would build my kingdom for my successors and drive back the foul savages into the abyss whence they came. Not for God, or Glory, for neither of those things interested me, but for security, the security of my heirs to build our dynasty's power. This was also a bit personal as my trusted advisor Alvaro was murdered whilst convincing Europe of another ancient claim held by my family and invested in me.

Thus I was in luck when a usurper rose to challenge the Aftasid Emir, having claim to his throne.

FYNoaEX.jpg

gzBE8XQ.jpg

I quickly issued a declaration of war, for one province gained is one for the future, calling my relatives in the process. They all joined me, despite my cousin in Aragon fighting a war with the Duke of Barcelona. And thus our host overwhelmed the Aftasids in Plasencia and Alcantara.

VEooczQ.jpg

eCTNkUT.jpg

DjL0H1P.jpg

Through all this word reached me that my bride to be had reached majority, I quickly dispatched a messenger to retrieve her and received not only her but a sizeable dowry as well.

W0MRGsD.jpg

I soon took ill and thus had to relieve my post as head of our armies, instead command was given to my brother Garcia of Galicia. And though soon I felt better I also felt it right to spend time with my wife, so that an heir might be produced that I could be sure was mine given the nature of my contempories I would think this the best option.

Word continued to reach me every day however, about our success against the heathens and soon even other heathens waged war against them and they, seeing the hopelessness of their situation, surrendered my rightful claim to me.

IIJyIzR.jpg

7Ztm7j4.jpg

It was a joyous day in the kingdom, the first victory under my belt, one has no idea how elated I was, nor of the trials and tribulations to come.

To be continued(?)

Last edited:
Interesting idea, will follow.

Only one note: "de la Santa Católica" is female while "Patriarca" is obviously male. It is weird :)p). And in Spanish "Primero Entre Iguales" has no capital letters.

PS: Oh! and if you can, kill your brothers in Galicia and Castilla via plot. You should inherit both kingdoms.

Interesting idea, will follow.

Only one note: "de la Santa Católica" is female while "Patriarca" is obviously male. It is weird :)p). And in Spanish "Primero Entre Iguales" has no capital letters.

My Spanish is rusty since I haven't used it much since I was a kid. But yeah, as for the orthographical stuff it's capitalised because I'm using it as part of the title.

PS: Oh! and if you can, kill your brothers in Galicia and Castilla via plot. You should inherit both kingdoms.

I knew that one, I just think using the assassination function is a bit more fun, and risky. I want an entertaining game, not an easy one after all. :)

My Spanish is rusty since I haven't used it much since I was a kid. But yeah, as for the orthographical stuff it's capitalised because I'm using it as part of the title.

I know, but in Spanish titles are also without capital letters.

I knew that one, I just think using the assassination function is a bit more fun, and risky. I want an entertaining game, not an easy one after all. :)

That would bring you trouble. Good for us the readers. :laugh:

Alright, alright, I changed it. :p

That would bring you trouble. Good for us the readers.

I would hope so.

As for the next update, I'll probably get to play ahead tomorrow but I'm quite busy on weekends so there'll be some time before I can update again.

I might do only one update a week, depending on how much I work during that week.

I know, but in Spanish titles are also without capital letters.

Royal titles and the like are used in Capitals. Mayúsculas de Respeto (or de Cortesía); Su Santidad, Su Majestad, etc. I'm actually a bit disconcerted about the Patriarca Católico part, as one's a more Orthodox Title, and the Católico is... well, Catholic.

Also, what mod is this? SWMH doesn't ring any bells sadly, and seeing the provinces I might want to try it out :p

Royal titles and the like are used in Capitals. Mayúsculas de Respeto (or de Cortesía); Su Santidad, Su Majestad, etc. I'm actually a bit disconcerted about the Patriarca Católico part, as one's a more Orthodox Title, and the Católico is... well, Catholic.

Also, what mod is this? SWMH doesn't ring any bells sadly, and seeing the provinces I might want to try it out :p

It seems hat you have not read me well:

Viden said:
And in Spanish "Primero Entre Iguales" has no capital letters.

I specified "Primero Entre Iguales". That is not an honorary title. And by "title" in the post you quoted, I mean the title of the AAR. In Spanish it has no special capital letters. For example, in my AAR the second update is called "A Norman Republic", but in Spanish is "Una república normanda".

Oh, and the Ortodox Church's official name is "Orthodox Catholic Church". ;)

This chapter will be short due to the death of Alfonso, but I'm working on Chapter 3 tonight and, if I don't fall asleep, should have it up tonight.
An interesting situation arises though, since I'm betrothed to the brother (matrilineally), and heir, of the ERE what should I do should I inherit? I want this to be a game about an orthodox, Leonese Spain, but I could create an Orthodox Leonese Roman Empire with Greece, Italy & Hispania divided amongst descendants.

Anyway, on to the meat 'n potatoes (also experimenting with a pictureless style to develop my writing):

Chapter II: To Deal With a Usurper

The celebrations of our victory had not lasted long when the train of my sister Urraca arrived. I had not forgotten her plot to usurp me, but there was hope in my heart that she would come over to the side of the true ruler of these lands.

This was not to be.

She entered the palace's reception hall with such a look of contempt that it would cause the lanterns to flicker and hide in fear, there was only one reason for such a look on such a momentous occasion. . .

"My brother, I want you to relinquish your claim on the lands to me."

She was deadly serious, and I just as so with my response.

"These were the lands bequeathed to me by father, I shall not allow a usurper to hold them."

The surprise that crossed her face was immense, she had not known me to be one to stand up for myself, always considering me lesser but today was my day, the day of the first victory over the southern savages. And thus she retreated, leaving only a letter, a declaration of war upon me, her own kin.

The mood in the hall turned sour, soothed only by the majestic voice of my lady, the queen Anna who by now was fat with child. I mustered the generals of the realm and called forth the levies, intending to ride immediately. I also made sure to send dispatches to all my relatives who seemed well dispossessed towards me, including my brother Sancho who, while detesting me personally for my control of Leon, was not to allow the man designated his heir be removed from his title.

An overwhelmingly positive response followed all whom were called answered except for the wayward Garcia of Galicia, joining our sister's side.

The initial phase of the war saw defeat upon my shoulders, a battle lost at Zamora. Our routed force moved north only to be met by the enemy again at Astorga, a battle easily won with aid from our allies.

It seemed this act swayed rebels fighting in the name of brother Sancho to act, who rose up in order to put Sancho on the throne of Galicia as well as that which he already held, Castile. It mattered not, ours was the lineage that would rule Hispania and thus we continued on against the usurper, winning at Toro & at the second battle of Zamora when finally my sister sued for peace.

Though I might be criticised for this by later generations, I spared my sister, keeping her locked within the finest wing of my castle at Leon despite her actions toward me. This was better for the overall stability of the realm and I was sure she learned her lesson.

In the meanwhile my first child Ana Maria had been born and my wife was fat with a second child who was to be called Idoquía after her maternal grandmother Eudokia the Roman Empress.

The realm entered into a lull as peace returned and the rebels won out in Galicia, granting my brother two of the three titles of our father, but this was to be the end of my journey as my second daughter was born I became sick with the slow fever and collapsed, ending my life. The King is Dead, Long Live the Queen!