T-34s at the moment are about 1/4th the strength of the german equivalent.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vcgetdown

Major
81 Badges
May 25, 2010
  • Magicka
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Iron Cross
  • Lead and Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Is there a reason for this? T-34s('41) can not stand up whatsoever to german tanks, even the '39 medium tanks, I get why russian tank divisions are weaker in general, but it does seem pretty ahistorical to have t-34s at the same hard attack as some regular, nonbrigaded infantry.

http://imgur.com/yCvGJqU

Just take a look at that image to see the massive gap in strength between the two nation's tanks. This is largely in part due to +15 hard attack from german doctrines, but at the same time, the t34 is hampered by a -3 hard attack malus from their doctrines.

Summary for anybody coming into this topic that needs to be read: T-34 has a hard attack of 5, 1935 motorized infantry's hard attack of 4 and the panzer IV has a hard attack of 23. How is this balanced? Soviet armor is 100% worthless

EDIT: At request of the developers, could a mod close this topic for off topic?

Last edited:
And yet another thread arguing that (Insert Nation) Tank is superior to (Insert Nation) Tank and this should be reflected in the game.

Simple answer that you're not going to like: This is a Strategic simulation game and not a Tactical game. Appropriate land doctrines and leaders will allow your armoured divisions to perform better.

And yet another thread arguing that (Insert Nation) Tank is superior to (Insert Nation) Tank and this should be reflected in the game.

Simple answer that you're not going to like: This is a Strategic simulation game and not a Tactical game. Appropriate land doctrines and leaders will allow your armoured divisions to perform better.

I would be happy if the soviet armor was the same as the germans. It's not.

How can you defend the t34 (and only the t34, only soviets get this malus) having such abysmal stats? On top of having a weaker doctrine in general with low GDE.

Last edited:
LOL....Somebody's angry!

And you mentioned nothing about doctrines in your initial post.

Do you believe that the soviet medium armor having hard attacks of 4('39)/5('41) is historically accurate? I brought up the t-34 because in the game terms one panzer IV division is as effective at damaging hard targets as 5 t-34 divisions

LOL....Somebody's angry!

And you mentioned nothing about doctrines in your initial post.

What did you think I was talking about? I specifically mentioned that the t-34 has the same hard attack as infantry, the only possible reason for that is thanks to the soviet doctrine. You then brushed it off suggesting that the t-34s doing as much hard attack as infantry was intended and how the game should be. Once again, I never said the t-34 should be better than x tank, I said it's pathetically gimped, it can not stand up versus any nation's tanks, thanks to the soviet doctrine, which is ahistorical.

Here is an image showing just how awful the soviet armor is.

I don't think anybody would defend the t34 (and the t34 alone, only the soviets get the malus) only having a hard attack of 5.

One random thing to point out: I assume this has been fixed, limith, but the 1935 mot lose 1 hard attack when upgraded to 1939(from 4 to 3 hard attack), and don't really gain anything (IIRC)

Russian tanks in general and T-34 in particular had some good qualities (slopped armor, gun caliber, large tracks adapted to muddy/snowy weather...) but had also serious design flaw like a two man turret, weak optics and poor vision devices reducing their Fire Control Effect.
See this

If I open the 1941 scenario, T34 have an hard attack of 8 (11-3). Your value of 5 seems to be a bug.

I just loaded it up myself and the russian '41 tanks in game all have 5 hard attack. The '41 scenario does have the russians with the '43 med arm already researched(also a t-34) which does have 8 hard attack. Is that the tank you were looking at? You can look at the '41 armor in the field to see they all have 5 hard attack.

...why are you building tanks as the Soviet Union?
Because just building infantry is way too op and makes for a boring game. Also, I like annexing finland before the peace event fires, giving me a nice puppet to have. Hard to do that without a significant armored spearhead. I also like the idea of letting zhukov and konev have some t34 divisions to fight the germans with, it was just unexpected how incapable they were going to be to face the german armor. I had about 20 armor divisions and it made the game a lot tougher because I assumed my tank divisions could handle the tank armies of the germans when it turns out they are 100% useless to face enemy armor with. Still mass produced infantry and won without worry but there is no reason to have soviet armor so gimped imo.

Here is an image showing just how awful the soviet armor is.

I don't think anybody would defend the t34 (and the t34 alone, only the soviets get the malus) only having a hard attack of 5.

One random thing to point out: I assume this has been fixed, limith, but the 1935 mot lose 1 hard attack when upgraded to 1939(from 4 to 3 hard attack), and don't really gain anything (IIRC)

Wow, you're right, that's pretty ridiculous. Makes building Soviet Armour quite pointless. Sorry I misunderstood your initial post.

Ger armor bonuses from land doctrines have been reduced for the final patch.

Ok I apologize, I knew the ger armor bonuses were nice, but I didn't realize that they got +15 hard attack from a single tech. Fixing that would go a long way, for sure. Definitely more of the issue than the -3 soviet malus

Status
Not open for further replies.