• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks i'll check it! I did notice inflation wasn't having a terrible effect on my economy, so I didn't worry, but it is annoying for me to raise tax to an insane degree and inflation still rises, thats silly! people have no money! the hell are they consuming with? potato currency? ;)

Also random thought: planes you buy from other countrys, need to either be teleported to the country or some other fix, because trying to fly a spitfire from argentina to saudi arabia is stupid, and they would load it onto ships or something instead. Or at least not suicide fly towards saudi and die mid flight!!!! they wasted my 51 million saudi dollars :(

Random notso Protip: The AI is bad at rebasing air units, but if you rebase some manually to an airfield nearby the front line, they AI tends to reinforce it and use it fairly well.

Israel!

Ok with the new beta patch i'm going to be Israel. It stated in the notes there is some problem with manual Military control effecting spys, well I don't really intend on using them much anyway, but I will try and manually control my modest military!

bmR15.jpg

The land of Israel is surrounded by enemies, how unusual for them. This is the Garrison Map filter, I used it to make sure my border towns had plenty of garrisons in them incase of war. I didn't want to use too many because IIRC garrisons cost money, and I want to keep as much as my Army mobile as military formations(Tanks, APC's, Infantry AKA-Not garrisons) as possible.

As for the military, I have alot of left over WW2 units.

Air force:
Spitfires and Mustangs with some B17's and C47 transports

Land:
Footsloggers(Dismounted Infantry) about 35 units
Mounted infantry about 10
T-16 Mk-I's about 8(Didn't know what this was at first, its the British Universal Carrier APC)

Recon are armored cars, fairly good.
Tanks, Shermans and late WW2 British tanks.
WW2 British anti tank guns(Self propelled mostly)
British Arty, mostly towed, one unit of self propelled, a 25pdr(nice!)

Economy

We produce little of value resource wise besides food.
However, the industrial economy and consumer economy is semi completed, it could be expanded upon to provide a more robust income. The problem - I will have to ensure stockpiles of raw materials as we produce little or none of our own.
There is significant capability to expand agriculture for export, which is a viable albeit less profitable option to expanding the industrial-consumer economy.

The Americans give us 256,000 dollars a day. This might sound like much, but it's not a huge amount. Our income with the high taxes we have is a gross of 3 million, expenditure which is minimal takes up 2 million and we have a trade deficit of 1 million. So we are breaking even more or less, with a small profit.

Our biggest expense is the military, expending $1 million a day. This is however necessary given our hostile borders.

Research

I won't be doing any, for a long time. I will be buying US technologys and living off their weapon designs for the foreseeable future.

Diplomacy

With enemies on all sides, I plan to strike first, probably soon. Probably Egypt, to shore up the Sinai somewhat and give me more leverage at home.

Last edited:
1st Actions

I bought a bulk import of Metal and Petroleum for my economy to use.

*And industrial goods, for building buildings.

This is absolutely key to playing Israel, import these or your economy will fail, so will your income.
Not only will you need these goods to insure the economy is safe, they are cheaper at the beginning due to many nations having a stockpile, but in 1 or 2 years, these will run out and the price of petrol, consumer goods and industrial goods will skyrocket.

I saw some units in Lebanon near the Border, so I stationed some Artillery in Haifa(Northern Israel) incase war with Lebanon or Syria came. Purely a precaution and a preperation if I decide to attack them.

jV9zM.png

**I began construction of a consumer goods factory in Tel Aviv, hopefully I can turn a profit by using some of the industrial goods I've importat and exporting consumer goods using them.

March 22, 1950

I have decided to seize the Sinai from Egypt. Partially because it has a small oil well, and Partially so I can have a south west frontier I can defend easily. I have stockpiled petrol, the mobile forces are in position, all that is left is to strike!

OWtP1.jpg

Last edited:
The early 6 day WAAr

uHPHU.jpg

Day 1

J8RFh.png

Brave, but stupid, they have no military and we occupied them within hours. (they should probably have some infantry at least to be realistic)

Egyptian infantry spotted down the road towards the Suez Canal.

lGYJS.png

We move our forces into engage the Egyptians...

INWiz.jpg

*AI note, the AI have a Humber scout car with their infantry in the front lines, very smart!

March 23rd

Officially annexed Palestine.

B17's bombers pound the crossroads, the Egyptians form up a battle line all along the front and the battle is about to begin!

*I will stop here for tonight, at a cliff hanger!
**A picture of the front, the night before battle.

2Inmk.jpg

I did the map ownership overlay to show the front line clearly.

Last edited:
March 23rd - 28th

Intense fighting around the crossroads. Our B17's bomb Egyptian forced continually but our ground forces have taken heavy losses. We wern't able to make full use of our mobile forces due to a lack of fuel. We are importing sufficient amounts, but the offensive quickly used up the small stockpile and we were forced to hold position along the road. Luckily we had a very good defensive position there, with good supply lines, artillery support and our bombers.

XWSCu.jpg

Despite heavy losses on our side, we have repelled the Egyptians, foot infantry are making way up to road, but reinforcements of our own will more than counter them.

I am mobilising all the foot Infantry now, to help fight the Egyptians.

Egypt attacks

XWSCu.jpg

They overrun the north flank and destroy my artillery :(

WpnCo.jpg

They push us back to the Israeli border and overrun parts of Gaza shortly after, many units are lost including most of the airforce, when egypt captured our desert base they used it to place interceptors and shot down nearly all our planes :(

yqg5q.jpg

At this point, I'm on the brink of losing! Both Egypt and Egypts AI has proved a challenge, I think I may have bitten off more than I could chew ;)

You should do a new attempt. Make sure you start with a large treasury and use most of it to buy huge amount of ind goods, military goods and petroleum at start to keep you running for a few years. Achieve self-sufficiency on petroleum and get some basic industry of your own, expand your army and base it mostly on (make sure you don't build the older model of infantry) infantry and towed artillery. Scrap the universal carriers - they are good for nothing but occupying undefended territory. Attack by 1956 and no earlier for the suez crisis. Don't use any aircraft that don't have indirect fire capability for attacking ground units. Set the individual rules for other planes to not attack ground units to spare them the damage from AA so that they can focus on attacking enemy aircraft.

Start again? No thanks ;) This isn't a serious game.

Also I did stockpile goods, just not enough petrol.

I mostly used by B17's which took no damage, until interceptors came and killed them :(

I could have done with upgrading my military though, ya.

Egypt attacks

XWSCu.jpg

They overrun the north flank and destroy my artillery :(

WpnCo.jpg

They push us back to the Israeli border and overrun parts of Gaza shortly after, many units are lost including most of the airforce, when egypt captured our desert base they used it to place interceptors and shot down nearly all our planes :(

yqg5q.jpg

At this point, I'm on the brink of losing! Both Egypt and Egypts AI has proved a challenge, I think I may have bitten off more than I could chew ;)

I started playing SR2020 a month or two ago, and have played the heck out of it as Egypt, about 7 different restarts. More than once, after I had made substantial gains in territory against a neighbor, the AI would surprise me and cause me serious problems on one front or another. Had one playthrough where, after I had conquered Sudan and Chad using a massive beautifully orchestrated airborne campaign (Sudan took me about 6 months with little airborne, then about a year of peace as I built up a huge airborne force, and then I took out Chad in FOUR DAYS!! it was mind blowingly cool)--> Just when I'm most disorganized, and have left my defensive line against Israel least defended, they attack. By the time I had airlifted some stuff back to Egypt, the Sinai was gone, and they were encroaching across the Suez into Africa. In another instance, I had conquered Libya, Chad and Sudan and the Ethiopians (whom I had discounted as being inconsequential) caused me load of problems with a wave of Engineers and cheesy mech units supplied by plane.

I'm just now getting into SRCW, but I'm guessing the AI is no less capable in the newer game. Gonna see if I can manage an Egypt AAR over at the BG forums and maybe even get proficient with including pics.

I thought Israel survived on foreign subsidies in the '50s.

Yes and no. The Israeli economy in the '50s was an odd patchwork affair. There was a massive influx of capital from the diaspora (Jewish communities outside of Israel) that early on accounted for something like up to a quarter of the Israeli economy. There was also the controversial German reparations that helped to build the foundation of the Israeli economy and helped the Israelis support, resettle, and generally support hundreds of thousands of Holocaust survivors.

OTOH, the massive influx of Mizrahi/Sephardi Jewry combined with the remnants of Ashkenazi Jews coming to Israel meant the Israeli economy grew by more than 10% a year for at least five years (I think longer, I'm going by memory here). Moreover, the Israelis did an amazing job at extracting almost every ounce from the meager resources they did have. For example, developing drip irrigation (and exporting this technology), draining swamps for additional cultivatable land, 'mining' the Dead Sea for minerals, etc.

So it is true that Israel needed and received quite a lot of foreign funds in it's early days--and still does, albeit in a drastically different form and at levels that are relatively much lower--although I'm not sure I'd call these main sources subsidies per se (but that is a minor semantic issue, I understand what you mean nevertheless). The Israeli economy was amazingly robust given it's limitations and responsibilities even without foreign support, which is why I am iffy about saying they supported themselves on foreign funds. I recall an Israeli, wish I could remember who (sorry), who put this issue into perspective for me. What he said was that getting money from abroad was essential to help absorb all the refugees and immigrants, but that at the end of the day it wasn't that they couldn't have survived without it but that everything they did would have taken at least twice as long. Money moved development along rapidly and allowed them to absorb people in, say, five years instead of ten.

That's my $.02.....