• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brids17

Sergeant
22 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka
When I bought and downloaded a house divided I assumed any substantial change to the game would be left out of vanilla saves but this seems to not be the case. I was playing around with GB earlier today and had a +2900 economy. Upon buying AHD and re-loading my save however, I'm now at -3200 and all my artisans are not meeting their life needs? Not to mention my taxes are all now magically capped at 50%? I don't know what it changed but it seems like my savei s completely ruined now. Are vanilla saves not compatible with AHD or is there a way to disable AHD with vanilla saves and I'm just missing it?

Oh course its not compatible, its a very big expansion. It doesn't do anything to the save, just the game itself. If you have a copy of vanilla you can load it and keep playing it with that.

Wondering about this as well, since i do have couple of games id like to finish, however it seems steam overwrites the entire installation, which makes it impossible to play vanilla

Wondering about this as well, since i do have couple of games id like to finish, however it seems steam overwrites the entire installation, which makes it impossible to play vanilla

Yes, AHD overwrites vanilla completely - AHD isn't a stand-alone expansion and changes a lot of things in the executable. The improvements over vanilla mean it's worth losing the game, tbh.

Ever heard of backups?

Maybe if the save files weren't hidden that would be possible. I can't for the life of me figure out how to find my save files.

Yes, AHD overwrites vanilla completely - AHD isn't a stand-alone expansion and changes a lot of things in the executable. The improvements over vanilla mean it's worth losing the game, tbh.

The fact that it's now ruined my vanilla saves really doesn't seem too redeeming considering I don't particularly like AHD...

The fact that it's now ruined my vanilla saves really doesn't seem too redeeming considering I don't particularly like AHD...
? Did you read any of the massive changelogs for AHD? There are completely new systems in the game - I'm not sure how you were surprised.

? Did you read any of the massive changelogs for AHD? There are completely new systems in the game - I'm not sure how you were surprised.

If the changes weren't going to be compatible with vanilla saves then they shouldn't have effected them. I've played several games that would release large updates but would purposely exclude the current saves to avoid destroying them. In fact, I can't think of any game that I've bought DLC or an expansion for that broke all your current saves.

If the changes weren't going to be compatible with vanilla saves then they shouldn't have effected them. I've played several games that would release large updates but would purposely exclude the current saves to avoid destroying them. In fact, I can't think of any game that I've bought DLC or an expansion for that broke all your current saves.

First off, the saves aren't hidden. My Documents > Paradox Interactive > Victoria 2 (though this may be different for vanilla, it's been a long time), same as CK2 and other recent stuff. Your save games are fine (assuming I'm not wrong about where they are), they're just not usable because it's a different game. I don't know how this could ever surprise you.

First off, the saves aren't hidden. My Documents > Paradox Interactive > Victoria 2 (though this may be different for vanilla, it's been a long time), same as CK2 and other recent stuff. Your save games are fine (assuming I'm not wrong about where they are), they're just not usable because it's a different game. I don't know how this could ever surprise you.

If you are using a newer Windows (Vista/7) try to use a "safe" folder because some places like Program Files have many security restrictions preventing programs from accessing files. You can also try to use "Run as Adminsitrator" to explicitly grant the program rights to access files (right-click on the exe it should be an option)

No, they're hidden. I've tried everything people have suggested and I can't get them to appear. The only thing it allows me to see are the auto saves but not the actual game saves I made. I'll probably try to fiddle with it later but it doesn't really matter now because the saves are already ruined.

And it's not a "different game". It's an expansion that adds to another game. If it were a different game then I would still have access to vanilla but that doesn't seem to be the case now does it? I don't understand why people are struggling to understand the concept of a DLC or expansion *not* destroying your vanilla saves. What other games have you played, that was not developed my Paradox, has done this?

What other games have you played, that was not developed my Paradox, has done this?
To name one, Victoria v. Victoria Revolutions. Some mechanics were changed and made them incompatible. If it's that big a deal and you "don't particularly like AHD" [have you tried playing it from scratch yet?] then re-install vanilla and play with your old save (which, barring you deleting it, still exists).

To name one, Victoria v. Victoria Revolutions. Some mechanics were changed and made them incompatible. If it's that big a deal and you "don't particularly like AHD" [have you tried playing it from scratch yet?] then re-install vanilla and play with your old save (which, barring you deleting it, still exists).

I said not developed by Paradox. But regardless, I don't want to argue about this. I did try playing from scratch and I had mixed feelings. There were some things I liked about it and other things I didn't. Mainly that when you justify a war it doesn't specifically tell you what the justification allows you to do. So for example, I decided to play the US and wanted to take over Canada. I justified acquire a state, waited 333 days, gained 2.7 infamy for it and then later found that I couldn't acquire land from Canada. Well how was I suppose to know that? Same goes for free people. What people? Who are they? I see no way to find out besides justifying, potentially taking an infamy hit and then checking in the declare war screen. It just feels like AHD makes things a lot less user friendly if you didn't have a ton of experience with Vanilla to begin with (which I didn't).

Anyway, does removing Victoria 2 then reinstalled just vanilla keep the saves as is? I hate to do that because it seems like such a waste of money. =\

Mainly that when you justify a war it doesn't specifically tell you what the justification allows you to do. So for example, I decided to play the US and wanted to take over Canada. I justified acquire a state, waited 333 days, gained 2.7 infamy for it and then later found that I couldn't acquire land from Canada. Well how was I suppose to know that?
Nicely spotted documentation/UI flaw. I've reported it: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?631212-Poor-discoverability-of-war-goal-meanings

I said not developed by Paradox. But regardless, I don't want to argue about this. I did try playing from scratch and I had mixed feelings. There were some things I liked about it and other things I didn't. Mainly that when you justify a war it doesn't specifically tell you what the justification allows you to do. So for example, I decided to play the US and wanted to take over Canada. I justified acquire a state, waited 333 days, gained 2.7 infamy for it and then later found that I couldn't acquire land from Canada. Well how was I suppose to know that?
You were just too lazy to check whether the Canadian provinces are states or colonies.
Same goes for free people. What people? Who are they? I see no way to find out besides justifying, potentially taking an infamy hit and then checking in the declare war screen. It just feels like AHD makes things a lot less user friendly if you didn't have a ton of experience with Vanilla to begin with (which I didn't).
Maybe check for cores on your opponents land?

Anyway, does removing Victoria 2 then reinstalled just vanilla keep the saves as is? I hate to do that because it seems like such a waste of money. =\
Stop whining, play the game and you'll realize AHD is a great improvement. And no, you can't get vanilla back unless you made a backup.

You were just too lazy to check whether the Canadian provinces are states or colonies.

It just feels like AHD makes things a lot less user friendly if you didn't have a ton of experience with Vanilla to begin with (which I didn't).

The things you learn when you actually read someones entire post.

Maybe check for cores on your opponents land?

Read above.

Stop whining, play the game and you'll realize AHD is a great improvement. And no, you can't get vanilla back unless you made a backup.

Yes, because anyone who doesn't share the same opinion as you is clearly whining. It's not like I said I hated the expansion, there are things I like about it. Specifically that it shows the supply limit of land just by selected your army and the war justification is a cool idea, I just don't like that it's not as easy to see what the justifications are like it is when you declare war. That said, I don't like that my saves have been ruined and that I can't switch between vanilla and AHD. Plus what I've said before. That's just my opinion, if you can't handle other people having one I don't know what you're doing on a public forum...