• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 1: The Rising Storm

Two Men muse on the value of Prophecy​

"Omar, welcome, so you have the horoscopes?"

"Yes, here they are for all those who matter"

"including the Sultan's?"

"yes, naturally"

"and?"

"I have prepared two but I will leave the choice to you. ... But the one that promises a long life, peace and blessings may not be accurate for very long"

Ismail looked up from the table where the papers were laid out

"You know Omar, this is why I value your opinions. Somehow when you look at them, the stars manage to be so much more informative than when others stare at the sky. ... As, of course, do the people you drink with.

So what do these sources tell you?"

"That you are wrong to focus your attentions on Badr"

"Surely you are not saying the man is loyal?"

"No, just that others are already plotting. They do not trust Badr given he was till recently part of the Sultan's council"

"What else?"

"You can rely on the Persians more than the Arabs. That Hassan's emissaries are all across the land, some inciting revolt, some seemingly counselling restraint"

"Hassan is behind the planned revolt?"

"Not what they say in the taverns, more he sees in this a chance to expand into Syria and broaden his reach"

"Why?"

"Rumour mentions he is making contact with the Franj who seized Antioch last summer"

Ismail picked up the Sultan's horoscope

"So will he enjoy peace for his wedding day?"

"I doubt it ... not least his new father in law has decided now is the time for war in Sicily, so may not attend his youngest daughter's wedding"

"So the hope of alliance with Egypt is already lost? ... well at least if we can combine his wedding feast with that of Eid, that will ease the strain on the state's coffers

Well Omar, I thank you, and wish you would consent to serve the Sultan directly ... you bring more knowledge than a thousand of our spies"

"Maybe that is because I am no spy?"

"Maybe, but I think you would be safer if your place in the Court was more clearly understood"

"And I think that would place me in mortal danger"

I believe Omar will not be safe anywhere, but I agree with his comment that making his position at court 'better understood' would be a grave mistake.

A very interesting conversation between Omar and Ismail. The Sultan is in for trouble, regardless, it seems, but what most stands out is how much hard information Omar provides - I had assumed him to be more esoteric, less concerned and aware of the world around him, but he certainly knows what is going on.

I wonder who Omar's drinking buddies are - they sure are useful.

I’ve noticed in the last update that Ismail is on a mission to “sow dissent”. Is this type of mission actually working? I haven’t seen any results in my games. Also, unlike any other mission for the councilors, when you hover the mouse over the map on the chancellor on a saw dissent mission no percentage is displayed… So is it working or it’s bugged?

I'm liking the way you're presenting this. It's quite an intriguing format you've got here.

Following with interest.

glad its grabbed your attention ... hope it continues to deliver

I believe Omar will not be safe anywhere, but I agree with his comment that making his position at court 'better understood' would be a grave mistake.

A very interesting conversation between Omar and Ismail. The Sultan is in for trouble, regardless, it seems, but what most stands out is how much hard information Omar provides - I had assumed him to be more esoteric, less concerned and aware of the world around him, but he certainly knows what is going on.

I wonder who Omar's drinking buddies are - they sure are useful.

He hangs out in the various bars and low class dives. So its not spying as much as mixing on the fringes of the sort of people who do 'favours' for the rich and powerful and then have loose tongues when they drink the proceeds. He uses this when preparing his horoscopes, so the information is presented in a rather opaque way.

... and yep, the Sultan is in trouble. My main goal is to make sure we don't get an early 'game over'.

I’ve noticed in the last update that Ismail is on a mission to “sow dissent”. Is this type of mission actually working? I haven’t seen any results in my games. Also, unlike any other mission for the councilors, when you hover the mouse over the map on the chancellor on a saw dissent mission no percentage is displayed… So is it working or it’s bugged?
It worked in my Non SOI game as Abyssinia so it works. Anyway Looks interesting.

I'd agree (certainly pre SOI) that it works, I've used when playing games as a count in a kingdom with low authority. Here, it never given the chance to work. Ismail won't be setting out to provoke dissent, dissent is on its way to him.

but first, a small side dish is served:

The young man forced his body to stay erect, his face to be without expression but he could not keep the fear out of his eyes. Hassan, as ever, looked the eyes first ... and smiled

"come in, don't stand at the door"

Entering the throne room for the first time since ... well since (he tried to suppress the memory of those screams), he tried not to glance at where Ibrahim's head had lain.

Hassan spotted the involuntary glance.

"oh don't worry, Ibrahim has gone to serve the demon that had claimed his soul ... there is nothing of him here, except ..."

and here Hassan paused

"of course I hope you can recall the lesson he tried to pass on. Vengence in this world is easy, I have the grace to ensure it lasts for eternity"

The young man mastered his fear and spoke for the first time

"you summoned me, master"

"yes, I have a task for you. Take this to Antioch, it will be our gift of welcome to the Franj".

The young man reached out to take the box. The size was such that it could contain a head. In his sudden fear he almost dropped it.

"open it, you must know what you take"

With trembling hands he undid the rope, slowly opened the top and peered in. To his relief, there was no head, instead two ornate daggers. He quickly lifted them out and saw there was nothing else in the box.

Confusion overcame fear

"Sire, there is no message in the box"

"ah, your tutors have taught you well. Do not worry, take the package to Antioch, there you will learn more. Even the Franj are not so simple minded as to fail to understand the message you will deliver".

Hassan paused ... and smiled.

"and ... remember, absolute loyalty will be rewarded, anything else and Ibrahim may have someone to share his torments ... go now, a horse has been made ready for you".

Hmm... I doubt this is Hassan's way of saying: "Welcome to the neighborhood, dear friend! Please take these ornate, valuable daggers - cultural splendors, family heirlooms - as a token of appreciation and of our hope for long-lasting, friendly relationships!"

I also doubt this hapless messenger will ever return to Hassan - well, maybe his head will...

Hmm... I doubt this is Hassan's way of saying: "Welcome to the neighborhood, dear friend! Please take these ornate, valuable daggers - cultural splendors, family heirlooms - as a token of appreciation and of our hope for long-lasting, friendly relationships!"

I also doubt this hapless messenger will ever return to Hassan - well, maybe his head will...

think of it as Hassan's version of a Nigel de Jong tackle early in a game ... :eek:

sort of, hi, welcome, this is how we do things around here.

I am reminded of the story of the count who refused enterance to the Hashshashin emessary for fear of his life.

Which is very close to what I have in mind, except this will be the first time the Crusaders encounter Hassan so he needs to ensure they fully understand what he is capable of

Something tells me that Duke Bohemond will only be receiving one dagger as a present... at first.

Duke Bohemond is safe, for now, but maybe feeling rather lonely soon. One brother is already the target of the Fatimid Jihad (Roger of Sicily), the Byzantine Emperor wants Antioch back and the Sultanate of Rum are preparing for war with one of their Christian neighbours.

Oh, now I see what you meant. :happy:

Aye, the answer was perfectly correct. There is no supernatural in this tale. But men will do enough that is evil without any outside interference

The failings of the stars

Omar sat back and rubbed his eyes.

The stars, both the real and the imagined, refused him knowledge. Well if he was to be honest he was not giving them the attention they deserved either.

Instead he had been scribbling in his book, words that matched his mood:

"The blessed time of my youth passes by
I pour out the wine of my oblivion
Bitter it is, and thus it pleases me
For this bitterness is the zest of my life
"​

War had come to the Empire.

Part of his weariness was the recognition that this was not the grand clash driven by high passions that his drinking companions had discussed. No uprising of Arab against Turk, not even a consequence of Hassan's schemes.

No war had broken out over the feast of Eid in some obscure province. No grand principles but a dispute over sheep, sheep that had been stolen, sheep that had not been delivered, less sheep than were promised. Different tales were told but all agreed, the Empire was at war due to sheep.

Omar leaned back and rubbed his eyes. Damn the stars, if they would not talk to him, he would converse instead with a wine glass. Even more tempting, this could be his last night with Arzu.

The Sultan had decided to lead his armies in this war. That is if this petty farce could be described as a war. That meant the court would move northwards, taking with it his friends, and if he was to be honest, his protectors.

And if the court left, Ismail had been clear. He too should go. Almost anywhere rather than stay in Esfahan.

Well he would go to Sistan once the winter snows cleared. He could spend time with some fellow exiles and return to Esfahan once this minor Turkic quarrel was over.

There isn't much going on (and a war over sheep? I mean... certain stereotypical remarks about Wales come to mind, but let's not go there - uncalled for ;))... But there's a sense of deep foreboding, certainly out of place for such a inconsequential little war - supposedly.

There isn't much going on (and a war over sheep? I mean... certain stereotypical remarks about Wales come to mind, but let's not go there - uncalled for ;))... But there's a sense of deep foreboding, certainly out of place for such a inconsequential little war - supposedly.

don't worry ... worse is to come, but that was the event that started the chain, and I liked its lack of importance, and indeed that it sat to the side of the main conflict. But there will be blood soon enough

Death in Antioch

When Antioch had fallen the previous summer, Bohemond had carved himself a small Duchy from this previously Greek province. At the time, his force was but the opening wave of a mightly crusade aimed at Jerusalem. Well much seemed to have changed since then.

First, among the jumble of papers on the table was a letter from his brother Roger that, unfortunately, no men would come from Sicily

Now he was the target of the Fatimid Jihad, he needed everyone to protect his own lands.

Second, the Emperor in Constantinople had sent another diplomat to remind Bohemond of their agreement. Antioch was to be returned to the Empire.

For the moment the diplomat waited outside in the main council chamber. As if this was not enough, there were rumours that the Turkish Sultan of Rum planned war.

Well news of a Turk going to war was no news. Unfortunately something more was known, the target was a Christian realm. That meant Georgia to the north, Constantinople or Antioch.

If the target was Orthodox he could spurn the Emperor and hope. If he was the target, well maybe it would be better to swear fealty and accept the much needed protection. His brother, Robert, counselled fealty, it seemed as if the visions of a grand Crusade had gone the way of a desert mirage. The two debated the options, even considered which of the local rulers might be prepared to make an alliance.

The loss of Antioch seemed to have had no real impact on the local rulers, it had been held by the Greeks till 10 years ago. Its loss seemed to be accepted by the local Emirs as one of the small shifts of fate.

To his annoyance the door burst open.

"Sire, I apologise, but I fear you must hear the news from the town"

Behind the secretary stood one the captains of the guard, sweat stained with his armour covered in dried blood.

"Speak"

"Sire, something has happened"

Bohemond glanced at the blood. First he turned to Robert

"Go for the moment, check that the emissary from Constantinople is being well treated"

And then to the Captain

"Yes, so it seems ... tell and be quick"

"We were patrolling in the market and a wagon had broken its axle ... there was chaos everywhere ... and you warned us to try to gain local support so .... so ...."

"speak"

"some of the men went to push it and others to move the crowds"

"yes"

"Sire, then it happened"

"What man, what happened"

"the killing sire ... one of the guards was stabbed in the throat in the chaos"

"well that explains the blood but not the excitement. Close off the gates, find the culprit and we will dispense justice"

"Sire he is dead"

"Then what does this have to do with me?"

"Sire, it was the manner of his death. He could have escaped in the chaos but he stood there. Two of the men chopped him down in a matter of moments"

"So a madman?"

"Not many madmen use a dagger like this

Even as Bohemond accepted the bloodied ornate blade, the door flew open yet again. Again his secretary stood there, this time it was his tunic that was drenched in blood.

"What is the meaning of this intrusion"

".... your .... your"

"Does every fool in this city have a stammer, speak man"

"Your brother sire ... he is dead. I have just found his corpse, his throat was slit ... and a blade placed across his chest"

The secretary spotted the blade in Bohemond's hand ...

"Sire ... it was that blade that killed your brother"

Well, that certainly is a welcome to the neighborhood! Brazen is the word that most comes to mind. A disturbing message Hassan sent: with the first murder, that his men will do his bidding and are not afraid to die; with the second, that anybody can be killed without so much as a trace of the assassin. Roger must indeed feel lonely now - although perhaps loneliness is not the first emotion that comes to mind: rage, fury, panic, fear... All equally valid options.

Just out of curiosity: did Robert die in the game? And if so, at the hand of the Assassins? Or is this just literary license?

It's always the reasonable ones that get cut down first when chaos starts. Poor Robert.

I do have to give props to the assassin, though. Having an assassin sneak in, perform a quiet murder, then let himself be cut down without trying to escape must certainly be unsettling.

It's always the reasonable ones that get cut down first when chaos starts. Poor Robert.

I do have to give props to the assassin, though. Having an assassin sneak in, perform a quiet murder, then let himself be cut down without trying to escape must certainly be unsettling.

There must have been two assassins: remember, the blood-stained captain of the guard makes his entrance and Bohemond dismisses his brother to ensure the safety/wellbeing of the Greek emissary. The captain explains the murder and the strange behavior of the murderer, cut down without any resistance. Then Bohemond's secretary bursts in to tell him that his brother has been slain.

So, two killers. And one of them was in the ducal palace - possibly just a room away from Bohemond himself - at the very moment that the captain of the guard brought his alarming news and the castle was, presumably, in a state of uproar. Now that is a scary demonstration of the ability of the Assassins.

There must have been two assassins: remember, the blood-stained captain of the guard makes his entrance and Bohemond dismisses his brother to ensure the safety/wellbeing of the Greek emissary. The captain explains the murder and the strange behavior of the murderer, cut down without any resistance. Then Bohemond's secretary bursts in to tell him that his brother has been slain.

So, two killers. And one of them was in the ducal palace - possibly just a room away from Bohemond himself - at the very moment that the captain of the guard brought his alarming news and the castle was, presumably, in a state of uproar. Now that is a scary demonstration of the ability of the Assassins.

Yes but will the Giant realize this? Bohemond was known for being suburb on the battlefield but how will he react to this blade in the darkness? Again loki's writing has reminded me of something. This time a line from A Knight's Tale. When the main antagonist is trying to figure out a way to beat the protagonist he asks a man how he would win, "With a stick. While he slept. But on a horse, with a lance? That man is unbeatable. " Just substitute dagger for stick and sword for lance and you have a good metaphor for how Hassan should deal with the Giant if he so chooses.