• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hardcore_gamer

General
47 Badges
Aug 1, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
I know that the idea of monsters suddenly attacking you was probably to provide you with challenge, but I personally find it to be more annoying then fun.

For example, I was playing a game and then all of the sudden I get this message that says "oh no big monsters and elementals have spawned all over the place and are now wrecking your stuff! Do something!" and then those creatures attacked a city that I owned and took it over because I had not given it proper defences as a result of not having assumed that lots of high-level monsters would suddenly spawn out of thin air!

Seriously Paradox, what made you think this would be a fun feature?

Thoughts?

From what I've played, the balance they have right now with monster spawns is pretty good. in 1.2 there were a lot of "surprise, you're dead!" moments where it would spawn elite monsters at you without warning, but now the spawns seem to ramp up much more gradually before you start seeing things like vampires or ogres.

Or maybe I've just been lucky. If the game had only spawned stuff like skeletons at you up until that point and then went straight into elemental spam I agree that's pretty messed up.

If the game had only spawned stuff like skeletons at you up until that point and then went straight into elemental spam I agree that's pretty messed up.

There should be NO random elemental and ogre attacks at all.

I can understand throwing some random armies of skeletons and perhaps some mid-level monsters at the player every now and then, but throwing entire armies of high level monsters that even the player or the other AI factions might not even have is just so stupid that it makes no sense.

And even if you have an army that can stop them, so what? It it really fair towards the player to force him to stop at once whatever he is doing and then have him re-assign his whole army towards the process of damage control so that random ogres and elementals don't destroy his cities?

I really love Warlock, but these random high level monster attacks really is the weak point of this game. It sucks so much fun out and just almost makes me want to not play, because whenever I am thinking about attacking the AI with my army I can't help but to ask myself if it is worth the risk in case my undefended empire suddenly gets attacked by powerful monsters who just spawned out of thin air.

I think Paradox should take a hint from Firaxis's Civ games and give us more customization options at start-up. That way people who like the feature can keep it, and people who don't can disable it.

There should be NO random elemental and ogre attacks at all.

I can understand throwing some random armies of skeletons and perhaps some mid-level monsters at the player every now and then, but throwing entire armies of high level monsters that even the player or the other AI factions might not even have is just so stupid that it makes no sense.

And even if you have an army that can stop them, so what? It it really fair towards the player to force him to stop at once whatever he is doing and then have him re-assign his whole army towards the process of damage control so that random ogres and elementals don't destroy his cities?

I really love Warlock, but these random high level monster attacks really is the weak point of this game. It sucks so much fun out and just almost makes me want to not play, because whenever I am thinking about attacking the AI with my army I can't help but to ask myself if it is worth the risk in case my undefended empire suddenly gets attacked by powerful monsters who just spawned out of thin air.

I think Paradox should take a hint from Firaxis's Civ games and give us more customization options at start-up. That way people who like the feature can keep it, and people who don't can disable it.

Sorry i disagree, atm with such a stupid ai the random spawn add a bit fun to the game and i like it.
Without it the game will even more boring.

They could just make random spawns optional to stop that whining by "hardcore gamers".

I like spawns myself.. esp those weaker ones, they are easy loot and keep my economy going.

Definitely, events that require your main army to deal with are garbage, I mean any sort of event that causes you to retreat from or lose a fight with another civ literally by random is the very definition of lame. It's why I didn't like 1.2, I just haven't seen this kind of behavior in 1.2.2 personally.

I don't have too much of a problem with elite creature spawns right now as long they show up late enough in the game that you can actually deal with them. The randomness is a problem though. I mean creature spawning should punish/reward you for keeping an adequate defense force, not randomly lame you out.

It would be nice if there was more sense to the monster spawns... for example if undead spawns could only appear in swamps, ogres in hills, elementals/demons in lava etc it would let you make more informed choices when building up a defense force as well as making where you place buildings and cities much more important.

Last edited:
I like the random spawns. Especially the really troublesome ones, like ogres. Add some extra fun to the game. Just thought that positive feedback should also be included.

yeh this is a tough one.... i was playing on a large map and got the "orges and elementals have spawned"... i counted them up i had to deal with about 10 ogres and 8 demonwoods..... i think that's a bit excessive.......

From what I've played, the balance they have right now with monster spawns is pretty good. [...] Or maybe I've just been lucky.

You have been lucky.

Too many of my games have been plagued with an excess of random events which have infiltrated and surrounded my realm with ogre dens and ogres -- too early on.

Dealing with 55-hitpoint ogres is quite doable, but the random-event excesses provoke tedious and time-consuming chores of mopping up the dens and lairs, mobilizing military resources which should be dedicated to expanding one's borders -- instead of dealing with ogres (or temple-type mega-units) which have abruptly parachuted right next to one's inner-core cities.

I am glad that (at last) somebody had the initiative to create a thread complaining about those excessive random events, which have been over-stimulated since the very first 1.2 patch.

My hypothesis is that the Developers realized that the mediocre computer-player A.I. could not be easily fixed, and that they consequently bombarded us with an excess number and strength of random events in order to beef-up the challenge.

I have tested that situation on the medium level of difficulty ("normal") : the random events can be very tough, even there.

I have never played against a Human (MP), but I wonder how the PvP gamers evaluate the intrusions of excessive monster-AI events in their games -- intrusions which could unfairly tip the balance in favour of one player (depending on where the dens and lairs appear).

As a SP gamer, I enjoy the game as this is ... but those excessive random events have transformed the game in a PvE genre : since I only play on huge maps with few computer players (3 or 4), I spend 90% of my time fighting the Environment (E = non-player monsters) rather than enemy Mages.

I am not complaining. I am simply taking note that the computer-player A.I. deficiencies have provoked a transformation of the game, since patch 1.2, into a PvE game -- at least in SP mode, on huge maps.

What I would suggest to the Developers is to tone down the strength of monster-generating random events, at least in the first 50 turns -- and to scale them in relation to the game-setup difficulty level.

Also, what I find annoying is those lairs which generate too powerful creatures early on in a game -- such as the big blue spiders (40 hitpoints). In some games, I have had my early-game expansion stifled because my 1 or 2 original cities were constantly harassed by 40-hitpoint spiders or vampires -- yes, vampires on turn 30!

There should be NO random elemental and ogre attacks at all. I can understand throwing some random armies of skeletons and perhaps some mid-level monsters at the player every now and then, but throwing entire armies of high level monsters that even the player or the other AI factions might not even have is just so stupid that it makes no sense. And even if you have an army that can stop them, so what? It it really fair towards the player to force him to stop at once whatever he is doing and then have him re-assign his whole army towards the process of damage control so that random ogres and elementals don't destroy his cities?

This post hits the mark. I totally agree with it.

I like the random spawns. Especially the really troublesome ones, like ogres. Add some extra fun to the game. Just thought that positive feedback should also be included.
I too like the random spawn thing, it forces you to think about internal security.

I deal with it by scattering a rogue police force thinly throughout my empire, and setting them to Guard/Sleep mode until needed. They are very cheap, only 20 gold and 2 turns to produce. I don't upgrade them at all until one engages in combat. Add in some well-placed wizard towers, and you can handle most skelleton invasions or monster waves.

Also, I find it entertaining that there are sometimes monsters more powerful than the player. The fire golems, blue spiders, and vampires are genuine dangers early on.

Last edited:
My hypothesis is that the Developers realized that the mediocre computer-player A.I. could not be easily fixed, and that they consequently bombarded us with an excess number and strength of random events in order to beef-up the challenge.

This. When you can't provide a legit threat to the human player, chuck something random at them. Despite the fact that random pop-up-out-of-nowhere threats is totally foreign to the kind of game you're selling.

On one hand, they tie up your military, and at times you can't afford to have this happen.

On the other hand, if you keep units around to loot random spawn locations, that's a lot of free gold and mana, with occasional spells, units, and artifacts.

Either way, we were promised interesting random events, but all we got were unit spams... in fact, a lot of people, from what I've read, have stopped playing Impossible, not because it is hard, but because there are too many spams, and it ruins the game for either of the two reasons above. I agree with something written here on the forums (forget where) about replacing them with quest chains, that get progressively harder, but the rewards are worth it to pursue. Almost anything would be better. It wouldn't be so bad, maybe even interesting, if it were rare, but it isn't.

If hordes of stuff start pouring out of portals, that means you either have to defend it or invade to portal world, reducing the spawns would just make us have less incentives for dealing with them.

I actually preferred the 1.2 spawns although if I was playing mp I think i would cancel the setting if it was possible. Against the AI though, the harder the better imo.

I know that the idea of monsters suddenly attacking you was probably to provide you with challenge, but I personally find it to be more annoying then fun.

For example, I was playing a game and then all of the sudden I get this message that says "oh no big monsters and elementals have spawned all over the place and are now wrecking your stuff! Do something!" and then those creatures attacked a city that I owned and took it over because I had not given it proper defences as a result of not having assumed that lots of high-level monsters would suddenly spawn out of thin air!

Seriously Paradox, what made you think this would be a fun feature?

Thoughts?

I have strongly to agree. This is the reason I have (so far) stopped to play Warlock.

That or how about all the people constantly saying their favorite part was clearing the neutral monsters?

Either way though I think the best fix is to simply give the player the option at the start to have random events or not.

I like the monster spawns very much. They are an excellent source of resources and experience for the troops I leave at home waiting for the eventuality. These troops gain perks from levelling up and from the gold and mana that inevitably comes from the loot. I wish there were more of them ;)

JJ