• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Damion

Bury
90 Badges
Jun 17, 2002
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
I'm hopeful for Dynamic Cities as a replacement for the economic boom/bust mechanic in CiM1, because it'll add an element of player agency to something that felt largely out of my control in the original game.

Would it also be possible to make this an optional feature in sandbox mode?

Thanks! Looking forward to buying CiM2.

I think A-train handled this very well. You'd build the train lines and stations and buildings would grow on their own as well as the ability to directly invest in projects to help build a passenger base. A game that was like a combo of A-train and CiM would be my dream city-builder/transport game. Please make it so, Colossal Order!

Really good sounding feature, but I wonder how much influence the player has. If it is going to be really detailled, maybe the player can alter the cities development by the type of transport and connections, like linking a neighborhood to an industrial area would make both of them develop more and into bigger complexes or wider spread areas.

So does this also mean that if I build a metro station on what is basically farmland, people from other parts of the city will all start living there and the centre turns into a mostly commercial area?

So does this also mean that if I build a metro station on what is basically farmland, people from other parts of the city will all start living there and the centre turns into a mostly commercial area?

I sure hope so. That sort of thing happens in reality, after all; even here in Dallas where public transit is poor at best.

Nice...
But I still hope for another thing that I didn't see in the original game. Some history.
Like in 1933-1945 Berlin looks some nazis (flags, columns of soldier walking on streets, etc.)
In 1944-1945 - bombing sometimes (well, good enough if just part of buildings falls down...your buses can be destroyed too).
Part of Cold War in Berlin could be really interesting (well, maybe, you'll choose side - east or west).
And, of course, you can get original events and tasks.

I really missed this in CiM1.

Nice...
But I still hope for another thing that I didn't see in the original game. Some history.
Like in 1933-1945 Berlin looks some nazis (flags, columns of soldier walking on streets, etc.)
In 1944-1945 - bombing sometimes (well, good enough if just part of buildings falls down...your buses can be destroyed too).
Part of Cold War in Berlin could be really interesting (well, maybe, you'll choose side - east or west).
And, of course, you can get original events and tasks.
No thanks. I don't want my nice transport sim cluttered up with pointless random explosions just to add some local colour. :p

Have the appearance change over time, yes; possibly identifiable with a particular era, yes; but this isn't a political/military game.

I actually have the opposite feelings.

If I wanted to build cities, I'd play SimCity. I'm here to design public transit networks and systems.

I really hope CiM2 has pre-built cities that I don't have to develop and build.

It looks like we do have spline based roads. That's fine but I really hope it means we also have procedural buildings. Cities XL looks horrible unless you built in a grid, no wall to wall buildings, no proper street-wall effect. CiM was great for making proper looking cities, at least the buildings had no spaces between them!

I really hope CiM2 considers procedural or at least "flexible" buildings where the facads are splines so if you have buildings conform to the shape of the roads. The technology for this has been done and it's not very complex. For nice european (or even north american) "street walls" it should be simple to do.

I actually have the opposite feelings.

If I wanted to build cities, I'd play SimCity. I'm here to design public transit networks and systems.

I really hope CiM2 has pre-built cities that I don't have to develop and build.
I think you missunderstood.

We only have to design public transit networks and system.

The idea behind dynamic growth is that the City change depending on where there is good access to your transit systems.
If you provide to much capacity somewhere the city should (in time) grow and adapt after the capacity.
If you provide no lines to one part citizens might move away from there to where there is better service.

So in short a living city.

When I think about it. this is a very very good feature. You will not be limited anymore by the map itself and you could in theory build a network as huge as you want too. Will there be any limitation in how big a map can be?

I think you missunderstood.

We only have to design public transit networks and system.

The idea behind dynamic growth is that the City change depending on where there is good access to your transit systems.
If you provide to much capacity somewhere the city should (in time) grow and adapt after the capacity.
If you provide no lines to one part citizens might move away from there to where there is better service.

So in short a living city.

Have you watched the videos? When you build a road buildings pop up instantly.