• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

liamgamer55

Colonel
14 Badges
Oct 16, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I've seen hearts of iron and eu3 complete in physical stores here quite a lot. Surely if there's no physical release that'd represent a loss in sales?

I've seen hearts of iron and eu3 complete in physical stores here quite a lot. Surely if there's no physical release that'd represent a loss in sales?
My understanding is physical sales are like 5% of the total. So yes there would be some loss, but then the profit per unit will (I'm sure) be far lower due to far higher design, printing and distribution costs.

No boxed copy?
Oh well, I guess that's the future. We will all cease to exist physically and live in the virtual world. :rolleyes:

I don't even have a CD/DVD/Blue-ray drive anymore

Surely you cant be serious? How do you install the software for wifi dongles and headsets? What about installing nostalgia inducing games?

I really hope it comes as a boxed copy because its usually quicker to install and the box will feel nice :D

Surely you cant be serious? How do you install the software for wifi dongles and headsets? What about installing nostalgia inducing games?

I really hope it comes as a boxed copy because its usually quicker to install and the box will feel nice :D

You can download every driver. In case of WiFi, I had to use my smartphone to download the driver on its own drive, then I just connected my mobile to my pc and installed the driver.

Old games and such are on my mobile hard drive - either as ISO or the full game (e.g. Settler 2, Fugger 2).

I'm pretty sure the folks at publishing/marketing have been pretty consistent when it comes to the topic of physical releases. If it makes fiscal sense for PI to release a physical copy of a game, then they will.

... and cherishing every one of them. :p

While I always prefer hard-copy, I can live with downloads. All I hope is that I get decent internet before this comes out.

No boxed copy?
Oh well, I guess that's the future.
It is not the future: It is the present in an increasing number of countries.

I hope that because of some reason (because it is good for marketing, because it reaches more people, whatever) Paradox ends up deciding to make a physical release.

Currently, physical copies are a tiny fraction of what they was just a few years ago. Lots of markets have stopped with boxed copies, as the RoI is negative.

I know you can't give us specific numbers, but you guys did release a physical version of CK2, which was released only around half a year ago, right? The company must be getting something out of it then, yes?

Currently, physical copies are a tiny fraction of what they was just a few years ago. Lots of markets have stopped with boxed copies, as the RoI is negative.
Sell boxes as "Collector's Edition" include a nice map, maybe some figurines and if you included a signed poster by the devs it'd be extra nice. As I posted elsewhere, I'd pay $100 and up for a nice boxed copy of a game.

Sell boxes as "Collector's Edition" include a nice map, maybe some figurines and if you included a signed poster by the devs it'd be extra nice. As I posted elsewhere, I'd pay $100 and up for a nice boxed copy of a game.

The Box of Paradox - Collectors edition. :p

Take my money. Where can I preorder?

My understanding is physical sales are like 5% of the total. So yes there would be some loss, but then the profit per unit will (I'm sure) be far lower due to far higher design, printing and distribution costs.

Actually, I believe the 5% is just non-steam sales. When counting other digital distribution systems like Gamersgate, it's probably much smaller than 5%. That makes the actual return when put against the cost of printing the boxes, getting the CD's, etc. very, very, low.