• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

moxs602

Major
3 Badges
May 26, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
As noted in Novapaddy's thread Road to Doom's Day has been under gradual work for a bout 2 months now.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?621028-Anyone-working-on-the-RDD-mod-As...

It is not a port. But rather a complete rework using DH full as a shell.

Scenarios will consist of 1750 - 1789 - 1839 - 1889 - 1913 - 1936 - 1950 - 1975.

It will be a DH 1.03 release. The DH team has been very helpful answering questions.

We are looking for any one interested in helping out.
We could use help in pretty much everything, and we encourage you to work on things that interest you.

That said we do have some priorities.

1 Ministers
2 leaders
3 Gfx -particularly unit and tech pics

Anyone interested please contact me at moxs60@hotmail.com

Below is the infantry tech screen that was posted by novapaddy earlier.

View attachment 60261

Are you going to stick with it and not add anything else to the mod? Just a Conversion? No more "Let make 1750 Scenarios!" please? That's how the mod died in the first place. I tried to convert it myself but the lack of information made it impossible to convert without ripping it apart.

...Why do I feel that many of these scenarios won't work in a standard situation?

As noted in Novapaddy's thread Road to Doom's Day has been under gradual work for a bout 2 months now.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?621028-Anyone-working-on-the-RDD-mod-As...

It is not a port. But rather a complete rework using DH full as a shell.

Scenarios will consist of 1750 - 1789 - 1839 - 1889 - 1913 - 1936 - 1950 - 1975.

It will be a DH 1.03 release. The DH team has been very helpful answering questions.

We are looking for any one interested in helping out.
We could use help in pretty much everything, and we encourage you to work on things that interest you.

That said we do have some priorities.

1 Ministers
2 leaders
3 Gfx -particularly unit and tech pics

Anyone interested please contact me at moxs60@hotmail.com

Below is the infantry tech screen that was posted by novapaddy earlier.

View attachment 60261

So, welcome back!

Well here are some suggestions:

1) First convert 1936 scenario. Then do whatever you want.

2) There should be 1803, 1848, 1861, 1900, 1917 1933, 1939, 1941, 1945, 1963 and 1985 scenarios as well. If not now, then maybe in the future, Some people want to jump to specific points in history

3) 1839 scenario shoudl be 1839.

4) ADD some alternate history paths on the get-go, or this mod will be boring.

5) We have AAR, and we have NWO, you can use this as the basis for many of the events in the Interwar period and in the Cold War.

6) The Early game will probably have a lot of TI, so try to create some sort of "wasteland system".

I might also post some gfx for units later.

Last edited:
I really don't see how on earth a 1750 scenario is going to work. That's really over-stretching it, especially within the confines of DH. Who wants to wait weeks to move between provinces? Or, months for the naval ships. For this time-frame we have EUIII.

I think the focus should be on the 20th century (or late 19th to 20th). That should be the priority first and foremost. I agree with what's been said above, establish a base 1936-ish scenario, than go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I really don't see how on earth a 1750 scenario is going to work. That's really over-stretching it, especially within the confines of DH. Who wants to wait weeks to move between provinces? Or, months for the naval ships. For this time-frame we have EUIII.

I think the focus should be on the 20th century (or late 19th to 20th). That should be the priority first and foremost. I agree with what's been said above, establish a base 1936-ish scenario, than go from there.

Agree, I actually told mox via email to drop the 18th century idea but he didn't listen. Still, I hope he at least releases A workable 1936 map and if it dies by then, we can take it from there.

Reactions:
Jesus, people... why do you keep trying such insane things?

This is guaranteed to fail, even doing just 70 years of modern history is incredibly hard. All Hearts of Iron engines simulate warfare, economics, research, supplies... EVERYTHING based on modern day ideas and regimental combat. A hundred years earlier, things were totally different, and warfare, and research worked completely different. I will not go into details that the pre-napoleonic and pre-industrialization era was even more different. Besides that, to have fun playing, you would need oh-so-many different ahistoric paths.

Unless you have 10 people working full-time(that is: 40hrs/week or something like that) on this mod you WILL not finish, and just give up in frustration. Instead, how about joining some existing mod projects with... more realistic goals? Most mods here can use a hand and are very thankful for that. Please don't get me wrong: i think it's great that you want to mod, but you might want to consider keeping your goals at least a bit reasonable.

Reactions:
I really like the idea of starting a game in 1750 and getting to 2000 without upgrading any infantry. Imagine Line infantry tactics in 21st century :rolleyes:

Jesus, people... why do you keep trying such insane things?

This is guaranteed to fail, even doing just 70 years of modern history is incredibly hard. All Hearts of Iron engines simulate warfare, economics, research, supplies... EVERYTHING based on modern day ideas and regimental combat. A hundred years earlier, things were totally different, and warfare, and research worked completely different. I will not go into details that the pre-napoleonic and pre-industrialization era was even more different. Besides that, to have fun playing, you would need oh-so-many different ahistoric paths.

Unless you have 10 people working full-time(that is: 40hrs/week or something like that) on this mod you WILL not finish, and just give up in frustration. Instead, how about joining some existing mod projects with... more realistic goals? Most mods here can use a hand and are very thankful for that. Please don't get me wrong: i think it's great that you want to mod, but you might want to consider keeping your goals at least a bit reasonable.

I told him to start at 1890/1900, not 1750 as 1750 is unrealistic. I agree with that.

Anyways I hope at least he converts the 1936 map & the Tech Tree FIRST.

As for mods with large ambitions dying............you should know it isn't this mod that was a mistake, your arguments can be made for every single game with Mods with grandiose game-converting projects. They either are released, are good but stuck in beta with several stability issues(MDS 1.6 and the production crash), put on indefinite hiatus(Hearth of Storms for Warcraft III), give too much priority to certain modders who leave with all their files, fall victim to a Computer Accident(The Warcraft mod for Total War) that destroys all the files, or die altogether(same as hiatus). The only exception to this rule is Nehrim for Oblivion, as well as most of the Morrowind mods by SureAI, the same developers for Nehrim as far as I can tell, as they created a stable release that is not beta and even there they were a professional team and had professional help on many cases and took 4 years to develop.

Everything made through Garry's mod might also be an exception, but that's because the modders had a robust and flexible resource to work with.

tl;dr: Unless you're a game developer, a professional modding team with good history or you do this for money(which would result in a ban!) if you want to make a wholly ambitious mod that changes every fundamental aspect of a game, you're screwed.

DHMDS might change things HERE at least, hopefully...........................................

What we really need is a converted 1933 map, a lot of resources such as gfx pics, ministers from 1900-2000, larger maps, flag changes, new flags economic statistics, leveling unit sprites and many more.

I've sent them some suggestions, and told them to start with 1936 map and then do a 1900 scenario but I got no response.

Last edited:
Shouldn't you all be excited or something?
I'm pessimistic. The mod idea is great but unrealistic as hell.
19th and 18th centuries should be left for games that actually specialize on them and will be able to portray their mechanics at least somehow properly be it combat, colonization or politics.
We really need a good combination of AAR - KR - NWO first, filled with content for alt history routes, before any bigger mods. And that's probably years away from completion. Adding 1897 scenario from 1914 mod to the mix would also be great, but more like a dream.

I'm pessimistic. The mod idea is great but unrealistic as hell.
19th and 18th centuries should be left for games that actually specialize on them and will be able to portray their mechanics at least somehow properly be it combat, colonization or politics.
We really need a good combination of AAR - KR - NWO first, filled with content for alt history routes, before any bigger mods. And that's probably years away from completion. Adding 1897 scenario from 1914 mod to the mix would also be great, but more like a dream.

Just so you know, I was actually being sarcastic about the whole "excited" thing.

And you know what? I actually believe that a game like the upcoming "East vs. West", depending on what it's gameplay features are and wheather it incorporates stuff from Victoria 2(ie: Economic management, pop happiness) might be better for a mod like this..............or at least for a mod going between 1900-2000.

So my advice would be this: start at 1900, do not release this for Darkest Hour, instead release this for East vs. West assuming gameplay there proves to be as complex as speculated.

WOW the negativity.
This is just a thread asking for contributors.
Did someone from the RDD Team steal your lollipops? Kidnap your kittens? Eat the last piece of pizza?
Seriously, some of you were asked to contribute and declined as you were too busy. No problem.
But you can find time to keep posting negative posts repeatedly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
But really - you have made your point. We get it. (we are ignoring it) But, we get it.
Try to move on.
Or start your own tired thread on why RDD sucks.

WOW the negativity.
This is just a thread asking for contributors.
Did someone from the RDD Team steal your lollipops? Kidnap your kittens? Eat the last piece of pizza?
Seriously, some of you were asked to contribute and declined as you were too busy. No problem.
But you can find time to keep posting negative posts repeatedly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
But really - you have made your point. We get it. (we are ignoring it) But, we get it.
Try to move on.
mox, i don't mind if someone ate the last piece of pizza or lolipop
but stealing kittens? that's unacceptable
what's going to be so different between RDD and 18th century mod+ 1914+ AAR+ NWO+ MDS?
even mods that span only 20-30 years take years to develop, are you sure you're up to this challenge?
the amount of work increases as you said "a complete rework using DH full as shell" are you sure you can do this?

It does not suck, not at all! I just don't see even the most remote chance of this setup seeing completion. By now, i know what the HOI2 engine is capable of, and what not. I just hoped you might reconsider the scope of what intend to do, and maybe start with something more controllable. Maybe a 1900 Mod, or a at topmost a 1871 Mod (Prussian/French War). Those are scenarios that I would still consider doable with a Hearts of Iron engine, but even the American Civil War is almost not doable using a static event driven engine like Europa and Clausewitz. :)

As I said: I wish you only the best, success and luck.

tl;dr: Unless you're a game developer, a professional modding team with good history or you do this for money(which would result in a ban!) if you want to make a wholly ambitious mod that changes every fundamental aspect of a game, you're screwed.

I'll prove you wrong. Might take years but I will :p

Oh and regards EvW... I'm under NDA :rolleyes::eek:hmy::eek:hmy::eek:hmy::p:p:p:p:p:p

The economic system will probably need reworking to prevent 1. industrialisation being unhinged from wealth (competition for finite demand? tendency for the rate of profit to fall? what's that?) 2. nations that don't have starting industry being unable to build a military
I'd guess only allowing the construction of IC in about 1850 would fix some of it since industry would be preset and the only way to expand your industrial capacity would be conquest, that way you would also model imperialism and the sweeping away of the last vestiges of feudalism (mercantilism and protectionism) by capitalism

Mox, wheather you listen to my advice or not or wheather you give up after porting 1936 over here and moving to EvW when it comes out, I suggest you adapt these scenarios into your mod or it gets boring:

-Fatherland
-Homeland
-Kaiserreich
-The Bonaparte Legacy
-Ruga Krepusko(?)
-Anything with CSA victory
-The Great Crusade