• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mox, wheather you listen to my advice or not or wheather you give up after porting 1936 over here and moving to EvW when it comes out, I suggest you adapt these scenarios into your mod or it gets boring:

-Fatherland
-Homeland
-Kaiserreich
-The Bonaparte Legacy
-Ruga Krepusko(?)
-Anything with CSA victory
-The Great Crusade

toughness just increased 9 fold

what's going to be so different between RDD and 18th century mod+ 1914+ AAR+ NWO+ MDS?

RDD is different from all those mods, it has its own style. And to point out the obvious - it will be ONE Mod.

even mods that span only 20-30 years take years to develop, are you sure you're up to this challenge?

RDD has off and on been under developement since 2005.
the amount of work increases as you said "a complete rework using DH full as shell" are you sure you can do this?

Yes, this as NOT a port. The Overall framework as well as the 1936 scenario are well underway.

As it will be a DH 1.03 release there will be an RDD alpha ready the DH 1.03 beta is available to modders.

Target for a RDD Beta of 1 or 2 scenarios will be after DH 1.03 final is released.

Scenarios will consist of 1750 - 1789 - 1839 - 1889 - 1913 - 1936 - 1950 - 1975. There may be some additions ONCE these are completed.

AGAIN we are looking for help with

ministers
Scripting events
Graphics

I will only help if you just cut the damn 1750-1889 part out. Your doing the impossible again.

I will only help if you just cut the damn 1750-1889 part out. Your doing the impossible again.

Nothing is impossible. Unless you are trying to stick pre-modern warfare into a game that focuses almost entirely on World War II tactics.

Nothing is impossible. Unless you are trying to stick pre-modern warfare into a game that focuses almost entirely on World War II tactics.

Seconded, I honestly think that if mox wants to release a stable version after finishing the 36 map, he should then focus on doing one starting in 1890 at the earliest time, to go before is overkill.

ww2 tactics? What's that?

Do you mean you get your counter to go to the next province or do you mean get your counter to pass by that province, so that you can surround your enemy counter, with a few of your own counters.

What tactics are you speaking of?

So what's all this drivel about 1750 not being able to be played in Darkest Hour? Why not?
It's a game of counters. You place your counters on the map, they pass from one province to another.. what exactly is the problem?

I'm totally amazed at the drivel I'm reading on this post.

It seems to me that anyone who wants to try to do anything other than 20th century warfare is ridiculed for no apparent reason (to me?).

What are you guys afraid of.. something new and different?

Do you mean you get your counter to go to the next province or do you mean get your counter to pass by that province, so that you can surround your enemy counter, with a few of your own counters.

So what's all this drivel about 1750 not being able to be played in Darkest Hour? Why not?
It's a game of counters. You place your counters on the map, they pass from one province to another.. what exactly is the problem?

It seems to me that anyone who wants to try to do anything other than 20th century warfare is ridiculed for no apparent reason (to me?).

WW2 combat is done in days, 1570 combat? Months.

Awesome attitude, buddy. I'm just being realistic. As said above me, It takes a very long time for nominal combat to be done on an older scale, also consider the tech tree, the lag associated with processing that much history (Vic2 lags by 1914, HoI2 by 1948, and EU3 by the 1800's.), and a whole bunch of other things.

The capabilities of making a mod based out of the 1750's is far from within the realm of capability of Darkest Hour.

So before you pull the attitude card on me and insult me by implying I'm an ignorant asshole, stop and think of all the reasons WHY this can't work.

Awesome attitude, buddy. I'm just being realistic. As said above me, It takes a very long time for nominal combat to be done on an older scale, also consider the tech tree, the lag associated with processing that much history (Vic2 lags by 1914, HoI2 by 1948, and EU3 by the 1800's.), and a whole bunch of other things.
The capabilities of making a mod based out of the 1750's is far from within the realm of capability of Darkest Hour.
So before you pull the attitude card on me and insult me by implying I'm an ignorant asshole, stop and think of all the reasons WHY this can't work.

The only word I used was "drivel" ... those other words are yours only.

So, I'm still waiting... I have a map, I have my army of counters. The opponent has his part of the map and his counters.

So, it's 1750, and I put my counters into his province and we start a Darkest Hour war...

WHERE will it not work? The game will compute a battle for 1750 and there will be a winner. WHERE is the problem?

I would imagine that moxs will be adjusting all the settings to suit 1750 warfare, trade, whatever... WHERE is the problem.

Am I stretching you a bit... explain WHERE ?

The Main problem is that 1750 is a pretty long time ago. Not only you will need a way to get colony's and the various Warlord's problem. You will also need to respent a Fueal System in Japan somehow. Then You got to prevent people from conquering the world and oh god the sheer amount of units to do and make sure it balanced and all.

The only word I used was "drivel" ... those other words are yours only.

So, I'm still waiting... I have a map, I have my army of counters. The opponent has his part of the map and his counters.

So, it's 1750, and I put my counters into his province and we start a Darkest Hour war...

WHERE will it not work? The game will compute a battle for 1750 and there will be a winner. WHERE is the problem?

I would imagine that moxs will be adjusting all the settings to suit 1750 warfare, trade, whatever... WHERE is the problem.

Am I stretching you a bit... explain WHERE ?

Consider the fact that logistics and tactics were radically different. In the 18th century, instead of just capturing a province, you had to siege/long-term occupy it to gain control (see EU3 and Vic2), there's also the fact that the game would need extensive tactical changes to fit warfare of the era.

The Main problem is that 1750 is a pretty long time ago. Not only you will need a way to get colony's and the various Warlord's problem. You will also need to respent a Fueal System in Japan somehow. Then You got to prevent people from conquering the world and oh god the sheer amount of units to do and make sure it balanced and all.

OK, so you are saying that representing a feudal warlord system of what, a samurai warrior class in Japan in 1750.. you are saying that THAT would be a bad idea.

Jeez, I think if you could get Darkest Hour.. remember Fernando Torres is forever saying how good the engine is, and how there is lots more that can be done with it....so if you could get Darkest Hour to represent that 1750 Feudal system... and play out what.. Shogun 2 in Darkest Hour.. you are saying ..

.. that THAT is a bad idea... hmm.

I'm not saying that moxs has any intention of doing any of the above.. But guys, REALLY, does it really bother you THAT much that you constantly in this thread.. instead of encouraging him, you constantly tell how it cannot be done...

Why not, just encourage the guy.. and let him get on with it.. and if he DOES get it all to work, surely then everyone benefits.. and who's to say... I think that setting up Shogun 2 in Darkest Hour is a GREAT idea!

Can you not just put your energies into positive things, instead of the constant negativity...

Here is an.. idea why don't we all wait and see what is available... say an month after DH 1.03 final is released?
That way everyone can have a beta test to play, while they are posting how RDD is impossible.

WW2 combat is done in days, 1750 combat? Months.

True, but imho that's not the issue.

The problem there is movement. Imagine what is if your division needs a quarter of a year to go from Luxemburg to Antwerpen. And that gets prolonged by crossing rivers and engaging in combat.

The engine constantly resets your divisions movement each time it is attacked. :) Also, there were no unified-operating divisions in 1750 or 1820, for that matter. Also, the issue are not counters, but the game mechanics (Industry, Research, Relations, Espionage) which are unfit, and are insufficient even for a game going from 1850 to 1964.

Besides that, in HOI2, event scripting effort for at least half-way realistic alternative history outcomes increases exponentially. Eg. For one war, you may just need 4 events(victory/defeat for either side), but for the war after that, you would need at least 16 different events, then you require at least 32, then 64, then ... And that's just for something like 3 wars, which can happen within 10 years with only two participants. None of that takes into account how that impacted the rest of the world.

Aaaaanyway, i just hope that after giving up on this, the authors will consider joining some of the mods being developed here.

Last edited:
I can understand what burning is saying and as an experienced modder his knowledge counts. If mox wants to put time into a big mod then i'll sit here and give ideas/encouragement where due.
As for the time to march to and from places it won't be that much different, Roman legions covered 20miles a day if i remembered correctly and the timing hasn't changed that much through time to my knowledge unless humans somehow lost the ability to walk......
As for combat read this thread and see what ewpheonix said to me about a 200AD battle scenario i considered..... hence with this information it IS possible to do almost anything with the DH Europa engine!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?594700-Non-WW1-2-3-Battle-scenario-Idea.

Here is an.. idea why don't we all wait and see what is available... say an month after DH 1.03 final is released?
That way everyone can have a beta test to play, while they are posting how RDD is impossible.

And if you can't come up with a reason to handle 1750 period. I suggest you pull it back to 1890/1900 at most.

If you can't plan out gameplay features for 1750, I suggest you drop the idea.

Scenarios will consist of 1750 - 1789 - 1839 - 1889 - 1913 - 1936 - 1950 - 1975. These were planned months ago.

There is almost 3 months work done by 4 people. Things ARE going to proceed. This will not change.

WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???

You don't agree, fine. But posting the same "1750 is insane - do 1890" type of command 8 TIMES - is not going to change anything.
(I counted)

Its just really irritating.

If you don't like what we are doing - don't play the mod.