• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can only respond to that with a single, monosyllabic word: ouch. :)

52 out of 600+ elements isn't that bad, then. Good to see that you can at least afford to pay all of them, this time round, even if their discipline was found lacking against the Burmese (which makes me wonder: were the troops that were defeated affected by non-payment in the earlier cycle? Could that explain why their discipline was less than that of the Burmese pointy-stick-brigade?).

I foresee your little list is going to get a lot bigger before this thing is done with. ;) Of course, if it all works out as planned, in the end the list will be completely empty.

I think not, I had one brigade which had been in place for some time with orders to defend to the last (proper British stiff upper lip). Unfortunately, they failed to hold, "The square was broken", so army failed in its first trial is this what the future holds?

There's been a useful discussion about Burma on the main PoN forum that you may want to check out. Its probably due to low cohesion of your troops.

Could you give a link?
My approach will be:
Recruit 10 colonial brigades and several supply trains, there are that many provinces needing occupation.
Use merchants to up my colonial penetration.
Declare war on Burma, seems to get 100 PP hit.
Then advance wherever their army is not.
Build a depot in Pegu, Prome, Mandalay and wherever necessary.
Declare a protectorate, then ask for peace.
Hopefully, that will solve the Burma problem?

Army board report:

Army deployment:

117 Forces

Army:
Australia and New Zealand Adelaide British
Australia and New Zealand Aukland British
Australia and New Zealand Brisbane British
Australia and New Zealand Melbourne British
Australia and New Zealand Perth British
Australia and New Zealand Tasmania British
Australia and New Zealand Wellington British
Australia and New Zealand Woolongong British
Burma Moulmein British
Burma Pegu British
Burma Rangoon British
Canada Halifax British
Canada Hamilton British
Canada Montreal British
Canada Newfoundland British
Canada Ontario British
Canada Quebec British
Canada Toronto British
Canada Windsor British
Caribbean Bahamas British
Caribbean Belize British
Caribbean Bermuda British
Caribbean Kingston British
Caribbean Puerto Cabezas British
Great Britain and Ireland East Anglia British
Great Britain and Ireland East Lowlands British
Great Britain and Ireland East Midlands British
Great Britain and Ireland Home Counties British
Great Britain and Ireland Leinster British
Great Britain and Ireland Munster British
Great Britain and Ireland North East British
Great Britain and Ireland North East Scotland British
Great Britain and Ireland North West British
Great Britain and Ireland South British
Great Britain and Ireland South East British
Great Britain and Ireland South West British
Great Britain and Ireland Wales British
Great Britain and Ireland West Lowlands British
Great Britain and Ireland Yorkshire British
India Allahabad EIC
India Amraoli EIC
India Amritsar British
India Bangalore EIC
India Benares EIC
India Bhopal Bhopal
India Bombay British EIC
India Calcutta British EIC
India Calicut EIC
India Cawnpore British EIC
India Cuttack EIC
India Dacca EIC
India Darjeeling EIC
India Delhi EIC
India Gaya EIC
India Gwalior EIC Bhopal
India Hyderabad British EIC
India Indore EIC
India Jodhpur Khota
India Karachi EIC
India Lahore British EIC
India Lucknow EIC
India Madras British EIC
India Madura EIC
India Masulipatam EIC
India Meerut EIC
India Mellore EIC
India Multan British
India Nagpur EIC Bhopal
India Panipat EIC
India Peshawar British EIC
India Surat EIC
India Trincomalee British EIC
India Trivandrum British
India Udaipur Khota
India Umarkot EIC
India Vizagatapam EIC
Mediterranean Corfu British
Mediterranean Gibraltar British
Mediterranean Malta British
Pacific Hong Kong British
South Africa Kaapstadt British
South Africa Mauritius British
South Africa Natal British
South Africa Walvis British
West Africa Banjul British
West Africa Freetown British

Future actions:
Formalise the establishments of the major headquarters:
Australia and New Zealand
Burma
Canada
Caribbean
Great Britain and Ireland
India
Mediterranean
Pacific
South Africa
West Africa
Increase the size of forces, aiming for parity with Russia
Ensure the matching of British and EIC forces across India
Develop forces for for East Africa, Burma and Afghanistan

Could you give a link?
My approach will be:
Recruit 10 colonial brigades and several supply trains, there are that many provinces needing occupation.
Use merchants to up my colonial penetration.
Declare war on Burma, seems to get 100 PP hit.
Then advance wherever their army is not.
Build a depot in Pegu, Prome, Mandalay and wherever necessary.
Declare a protectorate, then ask for peace.
Hopefully, that will solve the Burma problem?

Its embedded in this thread

But I think from your list above you are on the right lines. Don't use regulars, take it slowly, build up control and grind them down.

Colonial office report:

Colonial:

Colonial Areas: Colony SOI PP gain
Australia and New Zealand Queensland 5
Australia and New Zealand New South Wales 6 66
Australia and New Zealand Victoria 9 54
Australia and New Zealand South Australia 6
Australia and New Zealand Western Australia 6 42
Australia and New Zealand Northern Australia 5
Australia and New Zealand Tasmania 5
Australia and New Zealand New Zealand 6 42
Canada New Foundland 6
Canada Nova Scotia 5
Canada Quebec 6 114
Canada Ontario 6 78
Canada Manitoba 6 48
Canada Saskatchewan 5
Canada Alberta 5 50
Canada British Colombia 5 60
Caribbean Belize 5
Caribbean Bahamas 5
Caribbean Jamaica 6
Caribbean Leeward Islands 6
Caribbean British Guyana 5
Caribbean Falklands 6
Caribbean Atlantic Islands 5
Caribbean Bermudas 5
India Sindh 5
India Punjab 8
India Gujarat 5
India Jainalmer 5
India Malwa 5
India Rajputana 6
India Panipat 5
India British India 9 396
India Bijapur 5
India Berar 5
India Bhopal 6
India Sindhia 5
India Sarwhal 5
India Rewah 5
India Mysore 5
India Travancore 7
India Hyderabad 6
India Sambalpur 5
Pacific Singapore 6
Pacific Hong Kong 5
South Africa Cape Colony 7 91
South Africa Transkei 3
South Africa Natal 7
South Africa Mauritius 4
West Africa Sierra Leone 3

No colony but interest (F8):
Sudan 4 104
Nigeria 3 51
Burma 3 42

Interest:
Gambia
Togoland
Nigeria
Zanzibar
Basutoland
Zawziland
Qatar & Bahrain
Dubai
Yemen
Afghanistan
Baluchistan
Kashmir
Nepal
Burma
Malaya
Brunei & Sarawak
Fiji Islands
Bhutan

Revolt risk:
Figiug
Obeid
Springbok
Calvania
Orange
Umtata
Mukalla
Sanaa
hoedaida
Aden
Hadramut
Bikaner
Arakan
Timphu
Brunei
Saldhana

Fourth quarter 1850

My Plans:

Short
Keep up with PP

Medium
Develop the economy
Improve relations with other nations
Increase colonial penetration in Afghanistan so I can make it a protectorate

Long
Start to deal with the list

Actions by turn:
18. 2 x demo, geog basuto, wool ne scotland, cattle nw, 2 x brig calcutta
19. 2 x demo, geog chitral, cereals east anglia
20. 2 x demo, tropical fruits mauritius
21. 2 x demo, merch ghazni, iron avon
22. 2 x demo, 3 x cede, merch balkh, local austria, belgium, denmark, sugar south leeward
23. 2 x demo

Key:
Brig is short for brigade
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
demo for Naval demo (cost 20 money get 20 PP)
geog Geographical Expedition (cost 125 capital get 100 PP)
PP prestige points
Number after province means increase of colonial pentration
Province on own means gained in size of city

Results by turn:
19. Event:afghan, sensussi, seluwasi; Battle:; Movement:bombay; New unit:wool, cattle, completed fruits, TP lome; Control:burma arakan harbour; System:eek:rigin of species, capital markets, commodity futures, investment banks; Trade:steel and coal price drop; %SatMod:0.54; Sold:266; Colony:denmark passage holstein, TP banyan failed, geog chitral, netherlands miss kendari, cape colony 6, punjab 7;
20. Event:beouin, moro, bugis, pirate red sea, yemeni pirates, france ban imports; Battle:lost battle arakan 1537/153; Movement:; New unit:cereals; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:268; Colony:2 x demo, merch kabul, italy nat tunisia, ;
21. Event:rubber boa vista, barcelos, belem; Battle:evaded arakan 81%; Movement:; New unit:tropical fruits, complete TP kabul; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.52; Sold:269; Colony:russia commercial austria, 2 x demo, merch fail zanzibar, ;
22. Event:Don pacifio, rubber san miguel, austria conscription, italy subdisy coal; Battle:; Movement:imphal; New unit:iron, completed RR quebec, trois rivers, brig calcutta, cattle munster; Control:; System:trans supplies, dynamite; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:275; Colony:merch ghazni, 2 x demo, TP herat, merch warri failed, prussia merch luanda, leeward 6;
23. Event:france banned coal, belgium banned goods; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:sugar, completed brig calcutta, RR calcutta, cereals london; Control:; System:trade provisions, maritime trade, bilateral trade; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:282; Colony:local austria, belgium, denmark, austria local wurtembourg, merch balkh, 2 x demo, TP Kandahar, france cede antananarivo, prussia ethno samoa, us tele cascades, us coonists se minnesota, calcutta 8;
24. Event:germany roads; Battle:; Movement:arakan; New unit:Completed TP Herat; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:297; Colony:2 x demo, merch failed kabul, france treaty antananarivo, italy miss asab, spain colonists puerto rico, ;

Notes:
1. Burma destroyed my harbour in arakan
2. Burma beat my retreating troops in a second battle
3. Don pacifio gives a temporary Casus Belli against Greece
4. Rubber has been discovered, now just to steal some plants so I can establish planations in Malaysia
5. Satisfaction modifier from selling goods to national and colonial markets increased from 54% to 55%
6. Volume of goods sold to national and colonial markets increased from 266 to 297

Progress:
PP gained 820 whilst the target grew by 908. To date 2712 vs 3100 so continue to fall behind.
Russia became the second rank on turn 23 so it will rise faster in future.

Summary:
Another quarter of house-keeping, hope to be able to start being more agressive by the end of the next year.

Navy Board:
See report

Army board:
See report

Trade board:
Steady progress in growing the trade.

Colonial office:
Only gained Rangoon this year.

Foreign office:
Started to talk to foreigners.

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Mahrata
3. awadi
4. bastar
5. natalian
6. sindhitasman
7. burma
8. afghanistan
9. kerala
10. Dar-es-Salaam
11. Mombassa

Attachments

• GBR04.rar
    29,1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Foreign office:
Started to talk to foreigners.

Novel concept. :p

Is there a difference between EIC troops and British troops in quality? And why do you want to keep British and EIC troops balanced in India? Oh wait, is that due to the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857? Is that in the game?

Novel concept. :p

Is there a difference between EIC troops and British troops in quality? And why do you want to keep British and EIC troops balanced in India? Oh wait, is that due to the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857? Is that in the game?

Don't know about the mutiny, have never played that far.
There seems to be no difference in combat power between british and indian troops, both types of colonial brigade have similar combat power.
British 37 money, 1 steel, 2 manufactured goods, 67 conscripts, 3 officers, 60 days
Indian 27 money, 1 steel, 2 manufactured goods, 35 conscripts, 3 officers, 60 days
So it is cheaper to buy in India.

First quarter 1851

My Plans:
Short
Continue to try to catch up with PP
Increase colonial pentration in Afghanistan
Medium
Declare a protectorate in Afghanistan
Improve relations with selected countries
Long
Continue to develop the economy

Actions by turn:
24. 2 x demo, merch farah, korugh, faissabad, canned munster, france state, austria state
25. 2 x demo, merch ghazni, kabul, canned EM, turkey state
26. 2 x demo, gold melbourne, state belgium, denmark
27. 2 x demo, vineyard kaapstad, commercial us, belgium
28. 2 x demo, geog sringar, merch bamyan, opium patna
29. local greece, netherlands, chemical ulster, troops

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points
Province on own under colonial means gained in size of city

Results by turn:
25. Event:; Battle:; Movement:calcutta, chitaggong; New unit:canned, completed wood ulster, TP kandahar; Control:; System:; Trade:minerals asquith; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:298; Colony:state austria, france, russia local austria, 3 x merch, 2 x demo, merch failed ghazni, ibadan, calcutta 9;
26. Event:victoria gold, pirates malaya, france reject roads, 2 repl; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:canned, completed cattle south; Control:; System:transsupplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.52; Sold:285; Colony:state failed, france, austria, france state holstein, state trukey, 2 x merch, 2 x demo, ;
27. Event:pirates annamite, indonesia; Battle:; Movement:jessore; New unit:gold, completed cattle ulster; Control:; System:mass-market, le bon marche; Trade:; %SatMod:0.52; Sold:293; Colony:turkey state agreed, state belgium, denmark, denmark commercial holstein, us treaty okmulgee, new south wales 6, new zealand 6;
28. Event:gold australia; Battle:; Movement:calcutta; New unit:vineyard, completed wool ne scotland; Control:; System:trans supplies, jomini; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:312; Colony:belgium state agreed, denmark declined, commercial us, belgium, turkey state expired, 2 x demo, cede brunei, buntulu, kuching, merch bamyan failed, geog sringar, italy miss tunisia, ;
29. Event:Sydney +6; Battle:; Movement:freetown; New unit:eek:pium; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:316; Colony:commercial failed, us, belgium, prussia local france, belgium state expired, us state expired lasting, merch bamyan, 2 x demo, france cede antananarivo, us treaty tahlequah, netherlands miss djarkarta, paramaribo, portugal treaty maputo, ;
30. Event:indonesia, decree13, germany medal; Battle:; Movement:arakan coast; New unit:chemical, completed wool ne scotland, cattle NW; Control:; System:trans supplies, electorplating, coal cleaning; Trade:; %SatMod:0.52; Sold:307; Colony:local greec, netherlands, geog basuto, france treay antananarivo, france tele antilles, ;

Notes:
1. You will notice on turn 29 I sent in the troops as militancy had risen to 4%, it seems to be the cheapest option at only 50 money. I usually check militancy once a quarter.
2. % satisfaction fell from 55% to 52%, I think anything over 50% is good.
3. Goods sold increased marginally from 298 to 307, this is one of the main items I check each turn.
4. On turn 30 I had "decree13", I think this is sending in the troops.
5. On turn 26 you have the announcement of the Victoria gold rush (and again on turn 28).

Progress:
Gained 993 points this quarter as the target increased by 888, so managed to close the gap.
Overall the gap is now 2,483 compared with the starting gap of 2,200.
So if I managed to repeat the gain in this quarter every quarter in the future I could achieve the target in 23 quarters, another 6 years.

Summary:
At the start of the game I had 100 economic structures, now after 30 turns I have 127, my target is to add 1 structure a turn, counting merchant fleets and railroads as structures.
Money held up in this quarter, but not enough to deploy other decisions that would help with gaining PP.

Navy Board:
No progress
Army board:
No progress
Trade board:
No progress
Colonial office:
Working on colonial pentration in Afghanistan.
Foreign office:
Improve relations France(29), US(45), Turkey(23), Austria(7), Belgium(16), Denmark(25)
Improve relations France(27), US(47), Turkey(26), Austria(9), Belgium(16), Denmark(29), Netherlands(22), Chile(40), Greece(44)
France got worse I guess because of the failed state visit.
Others have improved because I guess people like me?

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Mahrata
3. awadi
4. bastar
5. natalian
6. sindhitasman
7. burma
8. afghanistan
9. kerala
10. Dar-es-Salaam
11. Mombassa

Attachments

• GBR05.rar
    31,1 KB · Views: 78
Second quarter 1852

My Plans:
Short
Keep up the naval demonstrations to earn PP.
Medium
Develop the economy. Look to east africa and start building colonial pentration.
Long
Increase production of luxuries as this is the area of the economy where I am not meeting demand.

Actions by turn:
30. geog basuto, 2 x demo, furniture birmingham, local chile
31. geog chitral, 2 x demo, merch farrah
32. 2 x demo, merch farrah, furniture EM, local prussia
33. 2 x demo, merch kabul, merch ship
34. 2 x demo, merch korough, merch tanga, merch ship
35. 2 x demo,

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
31. Event:pirates malaya; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:furniture, completed cereals east anglia; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.52; Sold:311; Colony:local chile, 2 x demo, merch failed farrah, geog chitral, cape colony 7, ;
32. Event:abbysinia, siam, indonesia, france roads; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:completed mrg midlands, tropical mauritius, goldfield melbourne; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:330; Colony:austria local saxony, 2 x demo, merch farrah, merch failed farrah, spain tele el rif, ;
33. Event:quebec +5, RR lima; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:308; Colony:local prussia, 2 x demo, merch farrah, merch failed kabul, us merch soshone, netherlands colonial makassar, bugis netherlands colony, travancore 6, ;
34. Event:australia and NZ +50k, canada +131k, SA +20k, pihiilipines, tonkinese, belgium banned goods; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:Completed suga sth leeward; Control:; System:trans supplies, professionalism, flag signaling; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:333; Colony:tuscany state papal, 2 x demo, merch kabul, merch korough failed, pujab 8;
35. Event:borneo; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:; Control:; System:8 force moved to imphal; Trade:; %SatMod:0.55; Sold:333; Colony:merch tanga, korough, 2 x demo, france cede antananarivo, us treaty tahlequah, us tele cascades, us colonists SE minesota, italy miss mogadishu;
36. Event:apache, bedoiun, austria rejected drains; Battle:; Movement:dacca; New unit:; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:340; Colony:2 x demo;

Notes:
1. Continuing shortage of mfg goods means I cannot build luxury factories as they cost 60.
2. Started to build up merchant ships, it is a bit annoying that you cannot tell how you are progressing against some objectives. For ship building you get a message each year telling you how you are getting on, for the others only the colonial empire bit can you tell.
3. Satisfaction % has risen from 52% to 57%, goods sold from 311 to 340.
4. There seem to be pirates and brigands messages all the time, I tend to ignore them unless I see an actual fleet. Not sure if this is a good idea?
5. Odd thing happened on turn 35, my garrison in arakan was suddenly moved to Imphal. I think this was caused by bad weather and the burmese had previously destroyed the structure in arakan that protected against this.

Progress:
Gained 878 in quarter against target increasing by 896, overall to date 4,583 against 4,884.
It seems like swimming against the tide.

Summary:
Again a quarter of building up and waiting.

Navy Board:
Develop bases across the world.

Army board:
Create a 10 x colonial brigade force for Afghanistan.
Create a 4 x colonial brigade force for East Africa.
Create a 10 x colonial brigade force for Burma.

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.

Colonial office:
Establish more colonies and protectorates
Develop provinces in colonies
Gain maximum prestige points

Foreign office:
Develop good relations with friends.
Ensure key allies are protected
Improve relations France(27), US(47), Turkey(26), Austria(9), Belgium(16), Denmark(29), Netherlands(22), Chile(40), Greece(44)
Improve relations France(27), Prussia(15), Austria(10), US(47), Turkey(30), Belgium(18), Denmark(29), Greece(43), Netherlands(20), Chile(41)
Oddly, the relations with Netherlands have fallen - they don't like me?

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Mahrata
3. awadi
4. bastar
5. natalian
6. sindhitasman
7. burma
8. afghanistan
9. kerala
10. Dar-es-Salaam
11. Mombassa

Attachments

• GBR06.rar
    36,4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Oddly, the relations with Netherlands have fallen - they don't like me?

Despite my pious intentions, I don't actually know the game well enough to say anything meaningful, so the following is just speculation. Could it be that the improve relations action has a random component to it, meaning that it'll raise relations sometimes, lower them other times? Or are you somehow meddling in the Dutch sphere of influence? I could imagine that leading to deteriorating relations.

View attachment GBR07.rarThird quarter 1851

My Plans:
Short
Continue the PP harvest, improving relations, colonial pentration of afghanistan, building up the economy, start action on the list.
Medium
More action, money is resolving itself so it is time for action.
Long
Burma to receive same treatment as Afghanistan.

Actions by turn:
36. Tropical brisbane, 2 x demo, state denmark, greece
37. iron wales, 2 x demo, 3 x cede, local france, us, turkey
38. merch fleet gulf mexico, 2 x demo, merch herat, tropical trincomalee
39. rice rangoon, 2 x demo, local italy
40. merch kandahr, geog sringar, 2 x demo, tea delhi
41. 2 x demo, geog khyber, protectorate afghanistan, 2 x brig invade dar-es-salaam

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
37. Event:austria drainage; Battle:; Movement:dacca; New unit:tropical; Control:; System:; Trade:dyes gwalior; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:354; Colony:two scillies state papal, state denmark, greece, turkey local expired, us local expired, france local expired, city rawlalpindi, bikaner, 2 x demo, italy merch markos, rajputana 6,;
38. Event:sioux; Battle:; Movement:jessore; New unit:iron, completed merch fleet; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:335; Colony:russia state austria, denmark refused state, greece refused state, local france, us, turkey, 2 x demo, prussia merch luanda, russia miss tashkent, italy merch markos, victoria 9,;
39. Event:americas cup, shipbuilding on progress, aukland +12, us roads; Battle:; Movement:gulf mexico, jessore; New unit:tropical, completed merch fleet, vinyard kaapstadt; Control:; System:dreyse, reserve, taxation, newspaper tax, income tax; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:336; Colony:france state haiti, turkey state expired lasting, merch herat, 2 x demo, france treaty antananarivo, prussia ethno samoa, ;
40. Event:senussi, austria medal, italy banned coal; Battle:; Movement:calcutta, jessore; New unit:rice; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.6; Sold:349; Colony:local italy, belgium state expired lasting, 2 x demo, geog sringar, us merch shoshone, western australia 6, ;
41. Event:montreal +8, belgium rejected conscription; Battle:; Movement:calcutta; New unit:tea; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.6; Sold:350; Colony:2 x demo, merch kandahar, geog failed sringar, france cede antananarivo, travancore 7,;
42. Event:khazahk, hottentot, ndebele, burmese, belgium conscription, belgium rejected roads, ; Battle:; Movement:mafia island; New unit:; Control:; System:trans supplies, drying; Trade:; %SatMod:0.6; Sold:357; Colony:2 x demo, geog basuto, spain outpost manila, ;

Notes:
1. It starts on turn 41 I launch the list cleaning, protectorate for Afghanistan, holiday booked to Dar-es-salaam.

Progress:
Gain for quarter 951 target gained 896, to date 5,534 target gained 5,780. Gradually inching closer?

Summary:
Another quarter of quietly building up. Soon the action starts.
Hopefully, I can begin shortening the list?

Navy Board:
No progress, the occupation of Dar-es-salaam will possibly provide a new base?

Army board:
The force for East Africa will be stripped from India, need to build replacements.

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
Satisfaction has increased from 57% to 60%, goods sold from 354 to 357.

Colonial office:
Protectorate applied for in Afghanistan.

Foreign office:
Improve relations France(27), Prussia(15), Austria(10), US(47), Turkey(30), Belgium(18), Denmark(29), Greece(43), Netherlands(20), Chile(41)
Improve relations France(31), Prussia(19), Austria(13), US(47), Italy(9), Turkey(32), Belgium(21), Denmark(33), Greece(42), Netherlands(22), Chile(44)
Good progress everywhere except Greece, possibly the hangover from the Don Pacifio affair?

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Mahrata
3. awadi
4. bastar
5. natalian
6. sindhitasman
7. burma
8. afghanistan
9. kerala
10. Dar-es-Salaam
11. Mombassa

41. 2 x demo, geog khyber, protectorate afghanistan, 2 x brig invade dar-es-salaam

I saw that turn overview and my heart went 'Whee!' (because, you know, there's nothing like a war to brighten one's spirit). :)

Sort-of-related question: your goal to build a 10-brigade colonial force for Afghanistan, is that something that you have done already, or is it something you're still working on? And would you need to have some troops at hand to make your protectorate work, or can you successfully declare one without any military means?

I saw that turn overview and my heart went 'Whee!' (because, you know, there's nothing like a war to brighten one's spirit). :)

Sort-of-related question: your goal to build a 10-brigade colonial force for Afghanistan, is that something that you have done already, or is it something you're still working on? And would you need to have some troops at hand to make your protectorate work, or can you successfully declare one without any military means?

In the true spirit of British planning we have started discussing the possibility of creating a force.
A committee has been established to consider the matter and will report back in due course.
Then we will need to establish another committee to consider financing, so in simple terms NO.
The British army will have to look everywhere for soldiers if anything happens.

In the true spirit of British planning we have started discussing the possibility of creating a force.
A committee has been established to consider the matter and will report back in due course.
Then we will need to establish another committee to consider financing, so in simple terms NO.
The British army will have to look everywhere for soldiers if anything happens.

ah but for it to be a proper committee looking into such an important matter it is utterly essential to ensure that no-one serves on the committee for too long (fresh pair of eyes and all that), then when it goes wrong those at the start can blame those at the end and vice versa. I mean a realistic British Empire needs this sort of high class civil service.

Fourth quarter 1851

My Plans:
Short
Prosecute the police actions in East Africa.
Medium
Study what needs to be done about Afghanistan.
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Improve relations with foreigners.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
42. 2 x demo, geog basuto, brig bombay, mfg south
43. geog chitral, 2 x demo,
44. 2 x demo, geog ulundi, 3 x cede, merch dar-es-salaam, furniture munster
45. accept us defensive, 2 x demo, colony hyderabad, state turkey, local china
46. geog prome, 2 x demo, merch tanga, mombassa, canned wales
47. 2 x demo, TP tanga, dar-es-salaam, mombassa, furniture avon, local austria, belgium, denmark

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
43. Event:japan rejected roads; Battle:; Movement:dar-es-salaam; New unit:mfg; Control:dar-es-salaam; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:334; Colony:austria state baden, 2 x demo, cede timphu, bintulu, brunei, geog chitral, us treaty tahlequah, quebec 7,;
44. Event:tonkinese, arawak, japan roads, belgium roads; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:completed canned munster; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:dyes dar-es-salaam deactivated; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:337; Colony:prussia commercial hesse-darmstadt, russia demanding we stop reforms to army major crisis, 2 x demo, geog failed chitral, merch failed kabul, spain colonial fernando po, mauritius 5,;
45. Event:Lagos; Battle:; Movement:gulf guinea, calcutta; New unit:furniture, completed brig calcutta, canned EM; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.56; Sold:333; Colony:us defenive GB, lost crisis to russia, merch dar-es-salaam, geog failed ulundi, 2 x demo, france tele antiles, netherlands colonists curacao, ;
46. Event:bugis, banjarmasin; Battle:; Movement:calcutta, cawnpore; New unit:completed opium patna; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:346; Colony:us mutual supply expired, us defnsive agreed, state trukey, local china, 2 x demo, geog failed ulundi, merch failed tanga, balkh, customs failed santa domingo, france treaty antanaarivo, italy miss asmara, rebels obeid rebel nation, jamaica 7,;
47. Event:italy banned goods; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:canned, completed brigade bombay; Control:; System:; Trade:8 elements unpaid; %SatMod:0.59; Sold:331; Colony:turkey state refused, local expired, denmark, belgium, austria, CB greece expired, customs santa domingo, merch tanga, mombassa, geog failed prome, 2 x demo, france cede antananarivo, us pacify puget, us tele osage, south australia 7,;
48. Event:anamite, brunei, arawak, italy subsidy coal; Battle:rebels retreated mombassa; Movement:west pacific, kenya shore, mombassa; New unit:furniture, completed tropical brisbane; Control:Mombassa; System:trans supplies; Trade:50 elements unpaid; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:329; Colony:austria commercial wurtembourg, chile state bolivia, local austria, belgium, denmark, 2 x demo, ;

Notes:
1. Occupied Dar-es-salaam on turn 43 and Mombassa on turn 48. That was easy, the rebels ran away. Sent two brigades to each. This means they can be removed from the list.
2. Turn 45 new objective at Lagos, much mutteering and tut-tutting in the corridors of power, what is to be done?
3. Two new brigades added.
4. Crisis with Russia went badly on turn 45, they who have the biggest army in the world were complaining about the size of mine? How dare they, we shouted at them a lot, but they didn't seem to understand. Looking at the prestige points it appears I lost 645 whilst Russia gained 481, on goals % this put me back from 77% to 57% . So they will be added to the list.
5. Colony requested in Hyderabad.

Progress:
During the quarter I gained 307 whilst the target went up by 2820, to date 5,841 target 8,600. On this basis I will never achieve the target.
Just have to get the hamsters running faster.

Summary:
Action started with a crisis with Russia (who are now on the list). Then the holiday makers in East Africa cleared up some local problems.

Navy Board:
No progress.

Army board:
Built 2 brigades, to replace the troops sent to East Africa.

Trade board:
Start 63% 334, end 58% 329, no progress, in fact went backwards. Not sure what to do about this, think I will arrange a public enquiry.

Colonial office:
The crisis which was the fault of the foreign office has put a major dent in progress, at least went for colony in Hyderabad and got protectorate in Afghanistan being established.

Foreign office:
That did not go well, failed in the first major crisis. Of course this was due to the army for ever demanding extra troops when they are celarly not necessary, a quiet word is often all that is required. After the committee on the crisis reports back one suggestion being considered is equipping diplomats with megaphones so they can shout louder.
Relations France(31), Prussia(19), Austria(13), US(47), Italy(9), Turkey(32), Belgium(21), Denmark(33), Greece(42), Netherlands(22), Chile(44)
Relations France(31), Prussia(19), Austria(13), US(47), Italy(9), Turkey(32), Belgium(21), Denmark(33), Greece(42), Netherlands(22), Chile(44)
No change, I forgot to make a note at the end of the previous quarter.

Taiping war:
36. China 6k casualties, taiping war started
42. China 63k casualties
48. China 78k casualties

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Mahrata
3. awadi
4. bastar
5. natalian
6. sindhi
7. burma
8. afghanistan
9. kerala
10. tasman
11. Russia

Attachments

• GBR08.rar
    35 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
ah but for it to be a proper committee looking into such an important matter it is utterly essential to ensure that no-one serves on the committee for too long (fresh pair of eyes and all that), then when it goes wrong those at the start can blame those at the end and vice versa. I mean a realistic British Empire needs this sort of high class civil service.

Unfortunately, as you may discover in the next post it did not work out quite that way, so it was the alternative of blaming the terms of reference that had to be used.
Events overtook the lesiurely pace of committee meetings.