• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In a paradox game, i assume there would be several "Species group" and you would have an "Alien tolerance" modifier for species living on your planets ;)

By the way, if Paradox ever make a Sci fi game, don't do a 4x, but rather a Graaaaaand Strategy Game ... in space ! :)

Oh man, imagine a space 4x game with Victoria's POP system! That'd be really cool.

I'd like a space strategy game that was limited to the Solar System and where the game started in roughly the present day, and you might see China and the USA fighting for the best asteroids.

Ever Read "Bio of a Space Tyrant" -Piers Anthony (5 Book set)

I rather dislike the common PI games as they feel like "all countries are the same with a few bonuses". kinda like real history.

:rofl:

you can do a lot more if you dont force "each race must have equal power starts". Star trek as noted is boring in this way with a few exceptions. Borgs (singular hive mind with unique goal) and Species 8472 (slushy dimension) are good exceptions of races that are very unique and would be interesting to have playable.

A setting like in Farscape would also work well, two massive empires in a cold war deadlock and you let the player play a smaller race trying to survive the struggle and perhaps play the sides against each other for own profit etc.

Or something like Foundation where you have a massive dying empire and feudal space kingdoms looking to expand. Many cool things could be done in a game with realistic travel times (eg no faster than light). Perhaps the only way to guarantee loyalty is cloning and marriage alliances over these distances?

A universe like in Alastair Reynolds books with the Inhibitors as the grand enemy looming over everything is also interesting

sci-fi is cool, but most 4x games dont dare to move much from the old MOO setting formula and they are almost devoid of flavor imo

Last edited:
The really surprising thing is that almost no 4x games contain features that weren't originally in MOO2.

I agree that more unequal starts in a more predefined scenario would make for a more interesting game.

I rather dislike the common space 4x games as they feel like "all species are the same with a few bonuses". kinda like star trek universe.

I miss MOO2's mechanics. Granted, it was "all species are the same with a few bonuses", but playing Darloks was a different world than the others since you'd just arrange wars between your chief rivals.

you can do a lot more if you dont force "each race must have equal power starts". Star trek as noted is boring in this way with a few exceptions. Borgs (singular hive mind with unique goal) and Species 8472 (slushy dimension) are good exceptions of races that are very unique and would be interesting to have playable.

A setting like in Farscape would also work well, two massive empires in a cold war deadlock and you let the player play a smaller race trying to survive the struggle and perhaps play the sides against each other for own profit etc.

Or something like Foundation where you have a massive dying empire and feudal space kingdoms looking to expand. Many cool things could be done in a game with realistic travel times (eg no faster than light). Perhaps the only way to guarantee loyalty is cloning and marriage alliances over these distances?

A universe like in Alastair Reynolds books with the Inhibitors as the grand enemy looming over everything is also interesting

sci-fi is cool, but most 4x games dont dare to move much from the old MOO setting formula and they are almost devoid of flavor imo
Thuth, it is unfortunate that the generall public is not all that supportive(or is there other problem?) to the speacies who are not significantly human, and do not live in nonhuman way.

I also hate the entire "human should not suck compared to alliens, period" type of things, like it is in universes like Mass Effect, and similar.

Putting humans in a client speacie position, or just underdeveloped, powerless society, kinda like (tribes of africa - Current West) development gap, and observing how it would turn out, could be very interesting.

Personally I love the Warhammer 40k setting, and I'm very suprised they never tried a 4x version of it.

I miss MOO2's mechanics. Granted, it was "all species are the same with a few bonuses", but playing Darloks was a different world than the others since you'd just arrange wars between your chief rivals.

I liked MOO2 alot.. I miss doing overnighters at the office, just playing Moo2 until the rest of the team showed up for work the next day..

Oh, the young days with endless stamina.

Personally I love the Warhammer 40k setting, and I'm very suprised they never tried a 4x version of it.

Or any kind of decent tbs or grand strategy for that matter. The one based on Panzer General II engine was quite nice, but the rest have just been rts/fps.

I love the 2300AD setting, but it hasn't managed to get into digital world at all.

I think that various devs don't want to gamble and use tried and tested formulas. It's not that 4X games are immensely popular nowadays.

Remember Alpha Centauri? That was a cool s-f game :).

Make a 4x game based un the Uplift universe! Humans are late-comers on the Galactic scene, it has all sorts of interesting species and lore and would allow for an interesting campaign.

I think GalCiv2 with all expansions is still the best space 4x game out there. It's also easily modable and people are still fixing and improving the game, years after Stardock stopped releasing patches, since they're working on Elemental now. It is regarded as the strategy game with the best AI, since it doesn't start to cheat like in other games only until at the very highest difficulties, and is still an actual challenge. At the normal difficulty, the AI uses only like 75% of its potential. The AI will know to counter your weapons and defenses, will know if you're gathering forces on their borders, if you get too powerful, AI races will work together to bring you down, even providing weapons to your enemies. There's also extended diplomacy and trading that can be conducted with the AI.

Races are of course similar, because they must be balanced, but they play very differently. For example some use slave labor, so production is very cheap; there is a sentient machines race who can't be converted peacefully; another race reproduces very quickly; in fact each race has a special super ability which grants them... well a super ability unique to their race. They also have different type of structures, unique tech trees and unique ship styles. There are also 3 different ethical alignments you can choose, each with its own bonuses. Regarding the ship design, you can just let the game design ships for you, and you only have to equip the needed weapons, defenses, engines etc., there's no need to create uniquely looking ships if you don't want to. The techtree is very extensive and for its size, is very well presented. Each tech has a simple description of what it will grant you, and when it's researched you are presented with a detailed description. Dialogue and descriptions are presented in a humorous matter, but it's well combined with the actual lore of the game and is quite pleasant.

The UI is very well done. Remember that the original game was released in 2006. The UI is very functional, and very informative, and you can also customize the color of the UI at the start of the game to fit your race's color. The music is very good, diverse and fits the game perfectly.

The graphics are also very good for this kind of game. Remember that this is a strategy game with an enormous scope. On the biggest galaxy size it would probably take like a month to finish the game. The point is that you will spend most of the time in the "strategic view", meaning you will see symbolic icons, not looking at the ships' windows. But when you do zoom in, the graphics are good. There's also the HRG mod that improves the textures of the planets and the stars and makes the game quite beautiful. There are also all kinds of automations to manage your empire, such as planetary governors, auto-upgrading of starbases and such, because as I said, games can get very big and micromanagement would become an issue otherwise. The game also has huge replayability, with unique 12 races, a custom race creator, and 3 campaigns to play through.

This post has turned into a review of GalCiv2, but the original poster was bashing the game, I just wanted to show him and others that were quickly turned off by the game, that it has a lot to offer.

I also find Armada 2526 Gold to have a lot of depth, but horrible UI is a game breaker for me. 4X fans give it a try, it's actually a good game, very MOO2-like.

After GalCiv2, which I like and find challenging, Armada 2526 Gold is a joke, unfortunately. What I really hate is that many 4X games use a cartoonish graphics style. Things like giant talking hamsters or fluffy robots are not really to my liking, even if it doesn't affect anything else than immersion.

My point wasn't really to bash GalCiv2. Even though I dislike certain parts of it (boring/generic/cartoony tech tree, annoying ship customization, silly humor I don't find funny), I still think it's a fine 4X game with probably the best enemy AI in the genre. I also took the advice of one of the other posters and tried out Distant Worlds (way too pricy for me to recommend), which has some great ideas about the 4X genre but has the opposite problems of GC2: lackluster AI opponents, poor performance, and a certain type of micromanagement I dislike that's exacerbated by the poor performance.

The real point was that I want a grand strategy game rather than a 4X game, and it just so happens that my favorite grand strategy games are made by Paradox. I really like some of the ideas in this thread, like small factions fighting for local dominion in a galaxy with two large deadlocked empires or a great empire decaying and falling into ruin. I think the Paradox style makes my goals more coherent, and achieving them over a long term game more rewarding.

Currently I have been playing Endless space quite alot.

It's really genial, simple to play/hard to master and very much like Civilisation but in space.
Balance food-industry-cash, automated trade, balanced techtree where you want all techs, simple combat and so on.

And the humor and tooltips are just excellent, for example a planet with the special trait low gravity makes settlers happy! ^^

Like all other 4x spacegames it lacks a bit of unique races though.
Only exception might be the machine race that don't care much for food and grows alot from Industry points instead, that also can settle all planets from start unlike anyone else.
Makes for very different and fun gameplay. :D

What I'm really missing with all these games are that they are turn based though. Real time and Paradox style grand strategy both should be very interesting and new concepts for the genre if it happens in the future.

What I'm really missing with all these games are that they are turn based though. Real time and Paradox style grand strategy both should be very interesting and new concepts for the genre if it happens in the future.
Sins of a Solar Empire? Personally, I prefer turn-based games, because most s-f 4X games are very micromanagement intensive and it's simply more convenient and fun to play turn-based games in that case.