• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((I'd prefer some of the party stuff be taken off-thread for the sake of secrecy and organization, but I don't really have a place for you guys to go. It seems like most people have voted. I think I will call the voting done on tomorrow evening so we can start the new elections.))

((We do have a Chatango page, so we can evacuate there; I take it it will be ok to publish the results clearly though...

That also means the deadline for applications for Petitor will be moved to tomorrow. All are welcome to apply!))

((Oh, definitely, our candidate will be announced here on thread; I was just thinking, though, that we could more easily discuss and debate the candidates at a convention. But once we had decided on the candidate at that meeting, we would announce it and begin our formal campaign.))

There's also the matter of Greaius' army to consider. The troops who marched past the Curia that day seemed in his firm support. I would like to formally petition this army be disbanded and forbidden within 50 leagues of the city of Atlantis.

((similar to the Roman law that all armies had to be disbanded prior to the General returning to Rome.))

The reports of several soldiers have reached my ears. I am the Lion of the West and many of my kinsmen fought in the skirmish he died. I have reports that he charged ahead alone, in search of glory and was surrounded and cut down along with most of his bodyguard.

And as has already been pointed out, he very publicly announced his plan to purge this city of the Mercators. You're arguments he died for this Republic are flawed, he died for his own glory and had he survived would have surely killed scores of the people you see in this room, including myself.

As for assassination, you ask me not to throw accusations yet then fling just as many baseless claims.

"I do not accuse you of assassination, merely pointing out that there are rumours the Mercators plotted to kill him, and as such, this may seem to not just be rumour if it was well-known that he threatened to kill the Mercators when he returned, as some may see his death as too convenient after the threats. I also seem to be receiving conflicting reports, as I have heard no mention of him threatening anybody within this Senate, and the march past the Curia is said to have been a parade of our nation's valiant men for our Senators. Some men reported to me that Graetius was ambushed, whilst others report that there was a mistake in the calculation of the enemy's numbers when he made the attack due to a scouting error, which resulted in his death. Other soldiers say he was never even on the battlefield and that he was found dead in his tent. It is all unknown what truly happened.

At the end of the day, we are flooded with miscommunication and contradictory reports, so a clear evaluation can not be made."
-Auron Desimodius

There's also the matter of Greaius' army to consider. The troops who marched past the Curia that day seemed in his firm support. I would like to formally petition this army be disbanded and forbidden within 50 leagues of the city of Atlantis.

((similar to the Roman law that all armies had to be disbanded prior to the General returning to Rome.))
((I thought that was in my bill, because it was talked about around that time, if I recall, that all armies were disbanded within the city walls and there was to be a city guard under the control of the senate to protect against intimidation, but it clearly got forgotten! Maybe that should be rectified in a new bill...))

I must misunderstand you, Senator; how is the army of a dead man a threat? Surely it is more of a danger when a live general decides to march on the city than if the ghost of an expired one tried to do the same?

"I do not accuse you of assassination, merely pointing out that there are rumours the Mercators plotted to kill him, and as such, this may seem to not just be rumour if it was well-known that he threatened to kill the Mercators when he returned, as some may see his death as too convenient after the threats. I also seem to be receiving conflicting reports, as I have heard no mention of him threatening anybody within this Senate, and the march past the Curia is said to have been a parade of our nation's valiant men for our Senators. Some men reported to me that Graetius was ambushed, whilst others report that there was a mistake in the calculation of the enemy's numbers when he made the attack due to a scouting error, which resulted in his death. Other soldiers say he was never even on the battlefield and that he was found dead in his tent. It is all unknown what truly happened.

At the end of the day, we are flooded with miscommunication and contradictory reports, so a clear evaluation can not be made."
-Auron Desimodius

His death was a sign from the God's nothing more, a sign that reckless and untamed ambition will destroy a man, and the same can be true of a state. A clear sign we should not follow this Party for any longer than we must!

((I thought that was in my bill, because it was talked about around that time, if I recall, that all armies were disbanded within the city walls and there was to be a city guard under the control of the senate to protect against intimidation, but it clearly got forgotten! Maybe that should be rectified in a new bill...))

I must misunderstand you, Senator; how is the army of a dead man a threat? Surely it is more of a danger when a live general decides to march on the city than if the ghost of an expired one tried to do the same?

((oh my bad))

We do not know the loyalties of the Officers nor do we knows the hearts of the soldiers. With rumour of assassination how do know his men will not march upon the city in a fit of "righteous" anger and try and strike down those they believe killed him.

I'd like to thank all the members of this august body for their warm welcome. I'm proud to sit amongst you as a representative of the Atlantean people.
Our system has, for better or for worse, turned into one of parties and factions. As such I feel I am forced to declare amongst whom I shall sit, lest my voice be drowned out by all the others. I had given this much thought before my appointment and I'd like to again thank those who generously extended offers of membership to their respective parties, especially my father's old friend Solavichi Othollo.
Each party, in my mind, is balanced between their good points and their bad. The Populares stand tall on the legacy of Tauronian the Liberator of Atlantis and Tauronian the Pacifier of the West and I find myself agreeing with their egalitarian spirit. However they are overshadowed by the legacy of Tauronian the Megalomaniac, the rumours of what he planned to do after the Pacification of the West if he had survived, and my fear is that their populism will degenerate into mob rule. The Mercators are supported by those whose wealth drives the new Atlantis but I worry their push for a Merchant Republic aims to replace the aristocratic oligarchy of old with a new ruling class of merchant oligarchs. Unio Libertatis sounds like a sensible voice of reason and moderation but they are thus far unproven and their approach sounds like they may compromise for the sake of moderation. I had even considered joining the Optimates for I personally feel that the old aristocracy is under-represented in this great chamber and that they are all unfairly painted as being anti-Republic even though only a few of them fought against the Revolution.
I was not sent here to favour my own opinions but those of the landholders of Ordika province, my constituents. It has been communicated to me that they feel the Mercators best represent their interests so I shall sit with them in the Senate.
I will abstain from the current votes as they relate to matters initiated before my tenure.
- Senator Alamander Urenahin, representing Ordika province.

Concerning the powers bill: Abstain
Concerning the Lex Taurica: Abstain
Concerning the recognition of Graetius: Abstain
Concerning the early election: Abstain

We are all most assured that you chose to unite with us, Senator. You shall be greatly prized in the coming months.

Unfortunately, I must announce that I am compelled to withdraw my candidacy. My family has invested in a maritime expedition that is set to circumnavigate the continent, forming ties with the other cities and endowing our great nation with affluence. I am to accompany this expedition to ensure its success. As such, I shall have to depart Atlantis the morrow, and shall be away for some time. Since it would be infeasible to manage political affairs from afar, and demeaning to the people of the Republic to stand for high office in absentia, I have decided that it is best that I withdraw my candidacy and allow another to step forward as the Mercator candidate for the Imperium.

Since he is possessed of eloquence, and being of sound capability and unblemished character, I hereby nominate Senator Alamander Urenahin to submit his candidacy to the party. He need not accept, of course, but I am confident that he shall serve ably in such a position and lead the Mercatores to glory.

- Caesennia Caprica

A very sound summation of the parties, Senator Urenahin; indeed the Populares are tarnished by the ambitions and the grandiosity of Graetius Tauronian; the Mercators wish to radically transform the Republic an its shape and focus; the Optimates have a rather unfortunate to the Oligarchy; and the Liberators are untested and unproven. But that is precisely why we need to have a strong presence in this election! Give us a chance to show our colours and to actually cooperate with our fellow parties.

And your principled abstention from the bills present, and your devotion to your constituency, are both admirable qualities that I wish were more prevalent amongst some less scrupulous men amongst us. While I would much rather wish you would join Unio Libertatis, I firmly respect your decision to join the Mercators and look forward to working with you in the coming years.

I am also saddened that you, Senator Caprica, have chosen to end your candidacy for the Imperatorship. We have had a rather good rapport these four years, and I would have happily worked with you. And while I highly respect our newest member, I do believe he is too young to run for the office.

((Can Urenahin run; isn't he even younger than me?))

We are all most assured that you chose to unite with us, Senator. You shall be greatly prized in the coming months.
... Since he is possessed of eloquence, and being of sound capability and unblemished character, I hereby nominate Senator Alamander Urenahin to submit his candidacy to the party. He need not accept, of course, but I am confident that he shall serve ably in such a position and lead the Mercatores to glory.

- Caesennia Caprica
I thank you Senator Caprica. Unfortunately I must decline the offer to be nominated for Imperator and/or the leadership of the party. Not only am I prohibited from the high office by my young age but I feel I have nowhere near enough practical experience to rule fairly and justly.

... And your principled abstention from the bills present, and your devotion to your constituency, are both admirable qualities that I wish were more prevalent amongst some less scrupulous men amongst us. While I would much rather wish you would join Unio Libertatis, I firmly respect your decision to join the Mercators and look forward to working with you in the coming years.
((Can Urenahin run; isn't he even younger than me?))
Thank you for the kind words Senator Aureolis.
((Nope, way too young as Chlorna said. Also I don't think I deserve the office since I held up the game for two weeks because I couldn't figure out the missionary bug. :p)

Last edited:
Anyone who wants to join Unio Libertatis and vote for our candidate, message me at once! Our convention is starting TODAY!

I would also like to remind all populares that the election for Dicerius is still ongoing. Our Imperatar has nominated me and I so far am running unopposed.

((Okay, sorry for falling off the face of the Earth there for a bit. Voting is closed and here are the results:

The Powers Bill passes 7 yea to 4 nea.

Lex Taurica passes unanimously.

The recognition of Graetius' passes 10 yea to 1 nea.

A snap election has been called 10 yea to 2 nea.

Parties have until Monday to choose runners, then they should post their platforms and candidates. Elections will run from Monday to Friday, that gives me the weekend to update and get squared away with the Imperatar.))

libertascrest.png

Unio Libertatis
Vires per Libertatem
Union of Freedom
Strength through Liberty

I come before you today to announce that I have been elected Petitor of Unio Libertatis in the first of many free and fair elections you will see come out of Unio Libertatis.

I hope to bring unity to this diverse and divided nation. I hope to be elected on behalf of a union seeking it's namesakes, unity and liberty.

That is why I am proposing five key points for the betterment of the republic and her people;
  1. I will declare war on corruption, and stamp it out to rid our fair country of the wasteful and damaging effects of individual greed. As a barrister and then a judge, I have fought corruption in my own profession in a search for justice. Now, I propose to bring the same high administrative standards to bear on the litany of crimes committed by those we elect.
  2. I will promote the freedom of trade both internally and to our allies, not using oppressive regulation, but by freeing up the markets in our fair city and investing in the infrastructure and harbours that our merchants use.
  3. I will invest in our navy, not only to protect our trading vessels from harm, but also to prevent our unprotected transport fleet from being harrased by enemy fleets.
  4. I will promote a muscular foreign policy that combats the tyrannical regimes of the few remaining total monarchs on this fair island and protects our fellow republics, thereby spreading liberty and freedom across the continent.
  5. I will uphold the rights of man that the late Imperator proposed, enshrining them into the constitution to protect the common man.
The policies of Unio Libertatis are thus:

(+1) Centralised/Decentralised.​
(+3) Aristocracy/Plutocracy.​
(+5) Serfdom/Free Subjects.​
(-3) Innovative/Narrowminded.​
(+4) Mercantilism/Free Trade.​
(-4) Offensive/Defensive.​
(0) Land/Naval.​
(-3) Quality/Quantity.​
(+3) Isolationism/Expansionism​
(0) Secularism/Theocracy

Petitor (Candidate):
Marcellus Smigt​
Praetor (Acting-Chairman):
Vulpis Aureolis
Sub Praetor (Vice-Chairman):
Erodel Krispin​
Membership (Commonly known as Liberators; membership is open to all - if you wish to join, just drop me a PM):
Vulpis Aureolis
Marcellus Smigt
Erodel Krispin
Varus Elzaran

Vote for Marcellus Smigt and help Unio Libertatis bring freedom, justice and liberty to Atlantis and her People.

Last edited:
Senator Smigt, although I am not of your party I am pleased to see that you have been put forward as a candidate. I believe that you are best suited of your faction to lead our nation. I would like to ask some questions of your positions though.
- You still sit as a High Judge while fulfilling the duties of a Senator. I have no objections to this. However, I do worry what could be done if a man was both Imperatar and a High Judge simultaneously. I do not doubt your character but, in order to set a precedent for future generations, would you step down from the judiciary if you were to be elected?
- If you were given a chance to alter our national policies during your tenure which of your party's positions would you enforce? ((Slider moves))
- You say you will promote freedom of trade but won't free trade measures harm our merchants? All trade on the continent flows through our borders so removing whatever protective measures we have in place would only give advantage to foreign competitors.
- Does the fleet really need expansion? I have not heard reports of piracy. Unless the goal is to menace our neighbours, I see no point in wasting gold that could be invested in infrastructure for our cities or protection for our new provinces.
- You say you will combat the "remaining total monarchs". Does that include our friend the Imperatar of Borxison?
I, and I believe my fellow Senators and the people of Azlanxo, would like to hear answers to these questions.

Senator Smigt, although I am not of your party I am pleased to see that you have been put forward as a candidate. I believe that you are best suited of your faction to lead our nation. I would like to ask some questions of your positions though.
- You still sit as a High Judge while fulfilling the duties of a Senator. I have no objections to this. However, I do worry what could be done if a man was both Imperatar and a High Judge simultaneously. I do not doubt your character but, in order to set a precedent for future generations, would you step down from the judiciary if you were to be elected?
- If you were given a chance to alter our national policies during your tenure which of your party's positions would you enforce? ((Slider moves))
- You say you will promote freedom of trade but won't free trade measures harm our merchants? All trade on the continent flows through our borders so removing whatever protective measures we have in place would only give advantage to foreign competitors.
- Does the fleet really need expansion? I have not heard reports of piracy. Unless the goal is to menace our neighbours, I see no point in wasting gold that could be invested in infrastructure for our cities or protection for our new provinces.
- You say you will combat the "remaining total monarchs". Does that include our friend the Imperatar of Borxison?
I, and I believe my fellow Senators and the people of Azlanxo, would like to hear answers to these questions.

If I were elected, I would resign my seat on the Council of High Judges, though that does not mean I would not apply to rejoin once any time I serve has been completed. The independence of the judiciary is important, but at the same time we should not restrict people once their time is over.

My core beliefs are in free subjects and free trade, so obviously those would be near the top of my legislative agenda. The other main priority for me is that the quality of our armed forces be increased.

If we encourage free trade, we will surely increase the number of people from across the continent doing their trade, not in Eurpan or our other neighbours, but in the fair city of Atlantis. An increase in such custom is good for the markets and the rest of the economy, so we should welcome it rather than choke our economy with needless, and potentially harmful, aggression toward those outside our borders. Furthermore, are not the Merchants and their political wing some of the fiercest advocates of free trade, even though you say it will harm them?

Currently this country has no military naval power and this needs to be changed. Yes, there are costs associated with maintaining a navy, but the fleet I propose would not be of the magnitude you saw when Atlantis ruled across the encircling sea. Remember that a fleet, unlike an army, cannot be raised in a matter of weeks, but takes years to construct. The expansion I propose is a forward looking one, to combat future piracy and ensure that this city can never be bested by our enemies at sea, and as such ensuring any necessary transport operations.

My loathing of monarchical tyrants does indeed extend to Borxison, though maybe not with the same strength as towards the larger realms to the south and east, and as such I would not extend any offers of friendship to them whist their government remains hoisted upon the many by the few: if I saw moves towards a more democratic system, I would reconsider this position, but it remains my firm belief we should not lend legitimacy to unelected regimes by cooperating with them.

I hope I have managed to answer some of your questions, Senator, and I look forward to any further queries you, or others, may have concerning my party.

Last edited:
If I were elected, I would resign my seat on the Council of High Judges, though that does not mean I would not apply to rejoin once any time I serve has been completed. The independence of the judiciary is important, but at the same time we should not restrict people once their time is over.
Of course. It would be folly to restrict a man in such a way, especially because of a great service he has done for the state. The office of Imperatar should never be viewed as a hindrance or a punishment.

If we encourage free trade, we will surely increase the number of people from across the continent doing their trade, not in Eurpan or our other neighbours, but in the fair city of Atlantis. An increase in such custom is good for the markets and the rest of the economy, so we should welcome it rather than choke our economy with needless, and potentially harmful, aggression toward those outside our borders. Furthermore, are not the Merchants and their political wing some of the fiercest advocates of free trade, even though you say it will harm them?
My constituents are worried about competition from outside our borders, where they lack the ethics we apply to our workers and don't have to deal with the ongoing costs of risks of working in the newly annexed regions.

Currently this country has no military naval power and this needs to be changed. Yes, there are costs associated with maintaining a navy, but the fleet I propose would not be of the magnitude you saw when Atlantis ruled across the encircling sea. Remember that a fleet, unlike an army, cannot be raised in a matter of weeks, but takes years to construct. The expansion I propose is a forward looking one, to combat future piracy and ensure that this city can never be bested by our enemies at sea, and as such ensuring any necessary transport operations.
I think you do a disservice to our fighting men and women by implying that it would only take weeks to raise a force of their calibre. I agree that some naval might is needed but no more than a few galleys to protect our modest fleet of cogs. We should instead be focused on providing proper garrisons for our provincial guards and bringing the trappings of civilisation to the newly annexed lands.

My loathing of monarchical tyrants does indeed extend to Borxison, though maybe not with the same strength as towards the larger realms to the south and east, and as such I would not extend any offers of friendship to them whist their government remains hoisted upon the many by the few: if I saw moves towards a more democratic system, I would reconsider this position, but it remains my firm belief we should not lend legitimacy to unelected regimes by cooperating with them.
So you would throw them out of the Great Northern Pact and break the word of our government. The Populares may have signed the treaty but it is up to us all to ensure that we adhere to its obligations. ((Here in case you missed it.))

Please do not mistake my persistence for hostility Senator. I ask these questions for the benefit of my constituents and the Atlantean people. It is a brave thing for a man to submit his values for the judgement of other men and not just the gods. Robust debate can only benefit us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.