• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the UK's player defense, he did have his hands full countering the invasion of England, the scale of which I am not quite sure he knew at the time most of Iced's battles were playing out. If he defended England, those things could be countered as the Med was still open through Gibraltar. If England fell, probably would most of his divisions. There was simply too much to do and too much at stake with most of his army at home. England can be a handful when everything is going right. When its all going wrong, it can be downright overwhelming.

In the master plan, Iced's invasions were the decoys (except the one in Palestine which was to help close the Med), done just to have the UK players attention focused in the Med for the first 30 or so crucial hours while my invasion fleet sailed from Ireland to next to Liverpool and invade. I think all of the Axis players thought I was off my rocker (and I just actually might be), but every now and then the dominos fall your way.

By the time the Naval battle took place in Alexandria, Operation SeaLion was well underway in UK. At the time, RN was back near England to sink German's (ours) cargos. You can assess that as the Italian player is talking about having the Reds on the other side of the river, it means he is talking about events that took place in October-November, when USSR was making great progress through Hungary and Czekoslovakia and Italy was call in to garrisons the Southern Germany

Great read. Sounds like the Axis caught the Allies with their pants down. Good strategy to seize the moment, rather than tick tocking the clock down to when the US player can come in and overwhelm the the Axis with ease. With the Brits soon to be out of the way, one would assume that the Russians would fall shortly there after. It would be nice to see Axis transports making land fall in Virginia rather than Allied transports in Normandy.

The German AAR should explain the rather desperate straights the Axis are in.

Lovely words you chose... to describe the Hell we are in !

Yeah, USSR did not wait and did strike GER right after SeaLion. AAR is coming...

As always Pags well done.

+1

Next AAR shall satisfy you on this particular issue.

(Next AAR or next chapter?) Eager to see a screen shot on UK.

Uk seem to have made a poor opening. But if the bulk of RN is left, perticluarly their CVs, they can cut the Italians of their new African/Arabian holdings and mass a powerful ground assault to take them back. Italy risk losing it all, including their troops (thats why I didn't dare a similar thing in Carnage al Dente). Still, with Suez open, IJN might drop in and alter the naval ballance. Even the Carnage Group's HRs would allow that now USSR joined the fray. This will be some severe butchering soon, I reckon. Looking forwards.

... chapter ! (sorry for the confusion).

Churchill dropped the ball and Stalin gets to pick it up and shove it down Hitler's throat? Fitting, and probably what more than a few real life Soviet vets think/thought after the hell they went through with Germany.
I'm interested to hear from the Soviet side; I'm wondering if they were planning on not honoring the MR Pact at all (maybe just using it to get Winter War). Though I can understand how it would definitely be hellish for the Germans if the Bear attacked right then, considering the not-insignificant number of divisions committed to Sea Lion.
Some other things I'm curious on:
Are the Japs all-in against everyone?
Did AI Nat. China hold out long enough?
Other than the embarrassment of losing the Home Islands, what was the material losses of the UK? Or were they beaten enough to be forced into GiE?
What's the situation with the European minors (Spain/Sweden/Norway/etc)?
Did you even get to take France out before the USSR bum rushed the Axis?
USN vs. IJN much?

Churchill dropped the ball and Stalin gets to pick it up and shove it down Hitler's throat? Fitting, and probably what more than a few real life Soviet vets think/thought after the hell they went through with Germany.
I'm interested to hear from the Soviet side; I'm wondering if they were planning on not honoring the MR Pact at all (maybe just using it to get Winter War). Though I can understand how it would definitely be hellish for the Germans if the Bear attacked right then, considering the not-insignificant number of divisions committed to Sea Lion.
According to the Bear, it was a last minute idea. Realistically, any Russian attack before France falls is game over regardless of German force deployments.
Some other things I'm curious on:
Are the Japs all-in against everyone?
Just Nat China
Did AI Nat. China hold out long enough?
Just about dead
Other than the embarrassment of losing the Home Islands, what was the material losses of the UK? Or were they beaten enough to be forced into GiE?
They lost a fair bit of units, and their naval losses were posted above. Given their high starting NU it takes more than conquering the Home Islands to force their surrender. You have to take almost every signle far flung place to make it happen. However, Germany did have plans for this...
What's the situation with the European minors (Spain/Sweden/Norway/etc)?
Nothing of note
Did you even get to take France out before the USSR bum rushed the Axis?
Russians attacked literally days after the MR pact kicked in. They had already preplaced units to this effect while we cleaned up Poland.
USN vs. IJN much?
Nope. US player has a major grudge against the Germans for the early Sealion. I doubt they have anything of worth devoted to the Pacific theatre.

I could add :

NAT CHINA: held its ground until August 1st, when we switched from player to AI...

DENMARK: conquered by Axis

USSR: Germany did not even have enough time to put its divisions on the new frontier between USSR/GER, even if they were all on startegic redeployement. When we say days...

JAPAN: Technically at war with Allies... but only at war with China on the map.

Yeah I was curious to see if the AI could hold your good defense up just long enough to matter. Seems like the USSR made that moot.
Oh and when I asked by how much material loss I meant in relation to how much they had at the beginning. Those losses, while significant, might still mean a rather formidable RN and a nont-inconsiderate amount of ground units. As far as NU goes, the Brits usually have enough that taking the Home Islands + Middle East/Africa suffices; India can usually be ignored. Should be mid-80's, no?
So since Japan isn't at war with Comintern, I guess that means no possibility of them trying to provide some relief by finishing off AI Nat.China and swinging up into Soviet/Comintern lands? Though if the Bear had pre-placed its units, I guess that would be a case of 'too little, too late".
Interesting thought: If Pags hadn't been able to hold out as long as Nat. China, would the Bear still have done this if it had known that japan would have been freed up to stab in the back?

I would if I was Russia. You can ignore Japan entirely for at least a year, and the only thing of value you will lose is Vladivostock. It won't take Russia a year to defeat Germany in this scenario. Right now its been two months and Russia is very close to Berlin.

Though if the Bear had pre-placed its units, I guess that would be a case of 'too little, too late".
Interesting thought: If Pags hadn't been able to hold out as long as Nat. China, would the Bear still have done this if it had known that japan would have been freed up to stab in the back?

I was taking shots yesterday from previous saves and noticed that Japan is at war with the Bear. I guess it came along the rest... But it doesn't look quite intense. So nothing there to turn the tide (Tidal Wave I should say).

AI in China did quite poorly as Japan did some landings behind his lines... something I was preventing by keeping reserves near the shores but I guess the AI, not assessing any threat there as there were no units it sight (yet), jut moved them somewhere else... thus creating its own doom.

The game desync'd on losing Alexandria, which might explain why I never even got the message that it was being attacked. Either that or I clicked off the message and forgot about it, which is plausible considering 98% of my attention was up north. This desync left me with serious lag for the rest of the game, but it was decided to go on. I didn't push for a reload since both the session and the whole game were almost over. Hungary seemed to agree, with his DoWing a bunch of random nations at the end...possibly to spite the Comintern.

As for how I screwed up in Europe? Maybe I'll explain that later... (this procrastination theme is your hint though)

post 69 lol

Game is over readers but... you will get a final piece of that awful mess this game was !!!

Soon: The Battle of Berlin !

Over....? Plz try and summerize with a couple of screenshots. It has been tricky for an outsider to follow what really happened. I am eager.

Over....? Plz try and summerize with a couple of screenshots. It has been tricky for an outsider to follow what really happened. I am eager.

Incoming !

The writing of the last chapter was delayed since we spent all our leisure time debating over HR. But now, I can start writing this down. I have very nice pictures that will give people a good sense of this final stand.

That's disappointing :(.

Yesterday, we tried for almost an hour to load the lastsavegame, then the previous one... after 83 minutes of problem, we gave up... There was only about 1-2 hours of game left. So we settled for an Axis defeat. I still have to assess, according to our victory conditions, who won what!

Last edited:
I love multiplayer AARs. But I hate how so many of them come to an abrupt premature ending.

From a narrative point of view you guys really blundered away the tension here. It would make for a much better AAR if Paglia and his coauthor had coordinated their updates the way CptEasy and Zid do in the latest installment of the Carnage series. Currently, I am left with a lot of question marks. One moment, the AAR takes place in China and I understand what is happening, the next Italy conquers half of Britain's colonial Empire which is damn impressive but I start to lose the context. And then all hell breaks lose, somehow Germany collapses and then game over?

In spite of that criticism, I really appreciate that you take the time to let us partake in your multiplayer adventures. Continue the great work! I am looking forward to the next update. :)