• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

totalbasscase

Sergeant
57 Badges
Sep 13, 2002
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
Hi guys;

I have cracked the nut of making HoI work on Valkyrienet and hosting IP games. This is a reference on how to solve problems with your router's firewall.

Alright, the first step is to open your router's administration utility.

Go into your web browser and type in the IP address of your router. This should be listed in its manual, but usually it will be http://192.168.0.1/

Log in using whatever the default username/password is (usually admin/NO PASSWORD)

Now navigate the utility till you get to the status page.

Here you're looking for one thing: YOUR COMPUTER's Local IP. This will most likely be 192.168.0.SOMETHING. Make a note of what the something is and continue to the router's firewall options.

Here you want to make two seperate entries. The first will allow all traffic from the internet on TCP ports 2300-2400 to navigate the firewall, and then redirect it to your computer. The options should read:

Enabled
Allow
Source: WAN
IP Range: */* (For all ip addresses)
Destination: LAN
IP Range: YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS/(leave this part blank)
Protocol: TCP
Port range: 2300-2400
Schedule: Always

Do this again but change the port range to 47624, and you'll be set. Save the settings and have fun with HoI or EU2 (This works for both.)

The alternate optioon is to just throw your firewall wide open and take all traffic on any TCP ports and redirect it. This shouldnt be necessary and DOES leave your computer very vulnerable, but if you have a software firewall that is more easily configurable then this shouldn't be a problem. Note that in theory this is a Demilitarized Zone, but I found that activating my router's DMZ didn't help with HoI.

Here are the settings:

Enabled
Allow
IP Range: *////* (For all ip addresses)
IP Range: YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS////(leave this part blank)
Port range: *////* (All ports)

Again, if you use that last part, PLEASE use a software firewall. I don't want anyone here getting hacked =P

I hope this helps with some of the frustration I was seeing in Valkyrienet. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

~Sky

P.S. Hopefully a kindly moderator cam copy this to the EU2 support forum as well, and if I'm really lucky they can sticky it =P

Okay we will leave it up for a while.

Another Tip:
ALSO insure you have a network client installed (not just the Dial-up Adaptor and TCP/IP Protocol) in Windows networking.

Last edited:
Crossposted on MP Forum as well

I'm really getting frustrated.

I'm behind a Linksys Router. My machine is in the DMZ and Norton Internet security is set to allow anything in/out for HOI.exe. I even tried adding my buddy's IP as a trusted host and I can't host or join any games.

Please someone help. The AI is like playing against Forrest Gump. I NEED human opponents!

I would be happy to send my firewall log to anyone that can read it (with IPs truncated of course).

Seams like there are alot of questions in the MP forum on this so I will put a copy in there as well.

Aelbric and I I think are in the same boat!!
I did all my testing (beta) at Work and would be very interested in any help. I too have a Linksys and am having difficulty with my Lan at home accepting and hosting IP games.

ARRRRGH!

In my router there are several options for allowing traffic in/out, but I just can't figure them out. They are like this:

<Trigger port> <trigger type (TCP/UDP)> <public port> <public type (TCP/UDP)>

in the examples all of the numbers are like 22654- not IP-adresses.
I hope someone can help as I don't like opening my firewall completely every time I play HOI.

Thank you

Originally posted by totalbasscase
Hi guys;

I have cracked the nut of making HoI work on Valkyrienet and hosting IP games. This is a reference on how to solve problems with your router's firewall.

Alright, the first step is to open your router's administration utility.

Go into your web browser and type in the IP address of your router. This should be listed in its manual, but usually it will be http://192.168.0.1/

Log in using whatever the default username/password is (usually admin/NO PASSWORD)

Now navigate the utility till you get to the status page.

Here you're looking for one thing: YOUR COMPUTER's Local IP. This will most likely be 192.168.0.SOMETHING. Make a note of what the something is and continue to the router's firewall options.

Here you want to make two seperate entries. The first will allow all traffic from the internet on TCP ports 23000-24000 to navigate the firewall, and then redirect it to your computer. The options should read:

Enabled
Allow
IP Range: */* (For all ip addresses)
IP Range: YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS/(leave this part blank)
Port range: 23000-24000

Do this again but change the port range to 47624, and you'll be set. Save the settings and have fun with HoI or EU2 (This works for both.)

The alternate optioon is to just throw your firewall wide open and take all traffic on any TCP ports and redirect it. This shouldnt be necessary and DOES leave your computer very vulnerable, but if you have a software firewall that is more easily configurable then this shouldn't be a problem. Note that in theory this is a Demilitarized Zone, but I found that activating my router's DMZ didn't help with HoI.

Here are the settings:

Enabled
Allow
IP Range: *////* (For all ip addresses)
IP Range: YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS////(leave this part blank)
Port range: *////* (All ports)

Again, if you use that last part, PLEASE use a software firewall. I don't want anyone here getting hacked =P

I hope this helps with some of the frustration I was seeing in Valkyrienet. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

~Sky

P.S. Hopefully a kindly moderator cam copy this to the EU2 support forum as well, and if I'm really lucky they can sticky it =P

:confused:
hmm the GEEKS are here:p

Linksys

If your linksys router is anything link mine then once in the admin console you need to click on the advanced tab and then forwarding.

In a windows command window type ipconfig/all which, among other things, will display your ip address. This is the destination you'll be setting in this forwarding screen. The rest should be pretty evident.