• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1333)

Sergeant
Feb 28, 2001
Visit site
I am going to throw around a few ideas for a 1936 game that will have a total of 4 players. From EU experience, any more than that is a big hassle even for dedicated players. It is going to be a very structured game with lots of house rules, the number of which depends on how good HOI is patched. I am going to list several requirements and house rules the game will be run by. If you can agree with them all and are interested, list your email in a reply or just send me an email: lohaus_robert@hotmail.com

1) I only want to play with history buffs who know their stuff. This game will be played historically, in a broad sense. I dont want a replay of WW2, not much point in that. But we need will need to choose the events that push history in the right direction.

2) You will need a cable connection or a very, very stable 56k.

3) Countries available: Germany, Russia, Japan, US. I know England was very important, maybe if I can find some really good people Ill include it.

4) House rules:

a) No tech sharing at all

b) Japan can only trade for its minimum industry reqs during peace time, with only a very small reserve being built up in oil and rubber.

c) Japan must stop trading completely once they join the Axis or go to war with anybody except China.

d) You must abide by your nations historic stategic goals. If your Germany, you will want living space. If your Japan, you will be required to attack China before 1940. If your the Soviets, you cannot start a war with Germany and you must aquire those buffer states. You also cannot attack Japan until your home soil is free. I will more expand on these at a later time, but you get the idea.

e) The Germans will also have severe restrictions on trade once the war begins.

f) If not fixed in the next patch, 3/4s of your capital ships must be at sea at all times. As it stands, you cannot bomb ship in port.

g) If not patched, naval attack strength of certain aircraft type will be boosted. This will make naval warfare a step closer to realistic.
Carrier battlegroups will be deadly.

h) If not patched, I will tweak subs to be much more in line with their historical capabilities.

i) Im sure I will come up with more as time goes on

5) I live in the PST zone, but I am flexible. We will try and play twice a week or just one longer session, depending on everyones preference.

Unless your a WW2 history buff, please dont apply. As long as you can speak English, have a long attention span, and have read at least 200 books on WW2, I want YOU! Im just kidding on the 200 books thing, 150 is ok.

You must be dedicated and must be able to sit through almost every game session. I dont want to scare anyone off......ok, yes I do.

Oh yeah, the game will not start until after the next patch so we have time to organize things.

Im in!

Hey if your interested, I'm in.

My specs :)

-Lots of free time
-Been playing World in Flames since 1985, so Ive got about 30 WW2 Grand Strategy games under my belt
-Ungodly hours spent on EU2
-Cable modem
-Played through 5 games of HOI so I know the system from US, CW, Russia and German perspective.

Let me know if the slot is open. When would you want to play?

Sounds interesting.

But could you elaborate a bit more what "historically correct" means ?

I love to play Sovjets. Of course it is no problem to take out Finland and conquer it. Is that historically correct or must I settle with the three provinces from the event?

Having conquered Finland, is it historically correct to go for Sweden + Norway? It is quite possible that Stalin would have done that.

Playing as Germany - it is no problem to take out France in '36. I guess that would definetly be historically incorrect. So wait until '39.

And Italy- in '36 the strongest nation around. I played a 1v1 against France, took me 2 month to take out a human controlled France in '36. So does the Italian player have to play intentionally badly? Or is he allowed to conquer all mediterrean provinces by 38, as the Italians would have liked to do in real life?

Well, I guess my conclusion from this is - if you want it historical correct:
Play the '39 scenario

A '36 free for all scenario is normally over by '38, if you have a good Russian or good Italian player.

Anyway, I would love to give it a try - if you have a good host? (Should be at least 10mbit.)

I see historically correct meaning doing what those countries might had realisticaly done so it will still keep its historical feeling but not be too restrictive. With this taking whole Finland is definatly allowed. Further advance to Sweden and Norway should still be allowed though its not realistic option for the USSR to do because of political reasons; they would quickly gain both Axis and Allies their enemies. Just like it was in real life.

As for the France's situation i really hope it will be more balanced in the next patch with Italy dramatically weaker. This would make it impossible to invade in -36. There should also be high change of Chechkoslovakia and Poland joining the war in case France is attacked, maybe add an event for this. Ideal would be the situation where Germany is free to act when it wants but it's made as hard as it was in real life.

You posted some great questions, for sure. It is a shame we must even ask them. Ill deal with each of your questions.

1. The USSR: Well, historically, the Soviets had a very poor army until after 1941. They were crippled by the purges and fearful of intiative. This among other things resulted in the small but proffesional Finnish Army beating the crap out of a much larger Soviet force for a while. While the Soviets were able to in the end defeat Finland, it was by no means a signal to invade the rest of Scandanavia. Anyway, the Germans were following Soviet actions closely and would have protested to a harsher peace than what resulted. The answer to your question is, I want to see the patch:)

2. Germany: We should let history be our guide until 1939. Events should push the Germans in the correct direction, there would be no need to commit to drastic and unhistorical action. Anyway, I believe the patch will address alot of the powerful Germany in '36 issues. So, we will have to wait and see for specifics.

It is certainly a possibility starting in '39, that would save us from some hassles. That would probably be put to a vote.

As far as the general question about minor nation grabbing, there was plenty of that going on pre-'39. At the same time we cant take advantage of flaws in the game and play a "gamey" game. If we play '36, then we will need to follow history closely as possilble. If we can do that, we can properly set the stage for changing history. After '38, I would suspect all restictions would be off, within reason.

It is not an easy question, but in the end its about having fun. The group will no doubt vote on alot of these issues. Send me an email about your preferences and availability.

Ive got some good replies and will open a spot for England in the game. Anyway, it is absolutely needed, otherwise the Japanese player will dominate [edit] Burma and India.

Also, we as a group will define how accurate we want it to be. If we have 5 people, thats a great voting number:)

Last edited:
Some tweaking will probably have to be done. A weak Nationalist China can cause serious imbalance in that part of the world, as just one example. I have a pretty good idea of how to edit alot of things, alot like Bolt. I could probably write scripts too if needed, but that would be a last resort, dont want to make the game any more unstable.

Once we get the players chosen, Ill start a web page where we can all share information.

I would still like a few more people, so I can best choose who will be compatible.

I think it would be best to start from the -36 and use house rules when needed. Also some tweaking really would be usefull to help keep the balance. We can start looking closer to those when the 1.02 change list comes, hopefully will be published next Monday as planned. Nationalist China and France atleast really need to be strong enough to match their historical situation.

"scandinavian question"

that USSR would attack sweden and norway wasn't the question for stalin cause he knew he would get a tought and long war just against norway and sweden(as finland would have bet them if their army would be bigger) adn later would probably the Axis and the Allies try to stop stalin like the allies did to hitler when he wanted to much

adn sweden was neutral but norways adn denmark was conquered by germany soon after the war begun.

sweden aslo had good relations with germany, that's why it was spared from the germans blitzkrieg:D

this is what i know of the "scandinavian question"

Im in

well , i would like to sign up!

my info:

-Lots of free time , (Xmas vacation from college)

-ADSL 256k

-Ive played strategy games my whole life , from colonial conquest in the commodore 64 , to axis and allies board and pc game , and many others.

-I consider myself as a history buff as you would call it , or at least WW2 history buff - i´ve read several books about it , from mein kampf , to the rise and fall of the third reich and some others , i got an enciclopedia of the greatest battles of WW2 , and just about watched ever tv show on the history channel about ww2 ever made.

oh and i watched "saving private ryan" too!:D

about how much historically accurate you want it,

-i guess that by this you mean that the alliances would still be kept true to history , or can germany try (which it did) to convince spain to join the war in his side (and succed this time).

this would be accurate to some degree.

-Can japan attack pearl harbor , or better said will the US have to keep its pacific fleet based in PH , waiting for the japanese attack?

well i guess i could go on and on , but you get the point

but it sure sounds very interesting , sign me in

Re: Im in

Originally posted by Warman-mx
well , i would like to sign up!

my info:

-Lots of free time , (Xmas vacation from college)

-ADSL 256k

-Ive played strategy games my whole life , from colonial conquest in the commodore 64 , to axis and allies board and pc game , and many others.

-I consider myself as a history buff as you would call it , or at least WW2 history buff - i´ve read several books about it , from mein kampf , to the rise and fall of the third reich and some others , i got an enciclopedia of the greatest battles of WW2 , and just about watched ever tv show on the history channel about ww2 ever made.

oh and i watched "saving private ryan" too!:D

about how much historically accurate you want it,

-i guess that by this you mean that the alliances would still be kept true to history , or can germany try (which it did) to convince spain to join the war in his side (and succed this time).

this would be accurate to some degree.

-Can japan attack pearl harbor , or better said will the US have to keep its pacific fleet based in PH , waiting for the japanese attack?

well i guess i could go on and on , but you get the point

but it sure sounds very interesting , sign me in

"Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" was long book. If you can actually read that whole thing, that qualifies as a long attention span ;)

I'd suggest we fill Japan. Im willing to play them if nobody else wants to. :)

Should be interesting. We might want to make some house rules about what Japan can do in China. It seems the Japan AI always drive US entry, not Germany. Alternatively we just make it an issue of policy between the Germans and the Japanese players.

Brian

I am interested

Qualifications
Boston
Cable modem
Free time on the weekends

Historical

Read
Mein Kampf ( headache in the making)
Rise and fall of the third reich two or three timees ( once straight through) I use it as a reference for getting into the german mind set when reading other books.
Two different cronological books on WWII - great books
I own an encyclopedia of WWII
The longest day
And quite a few others which include three biographys ( hitler, hitler, and rommel)
Seen just about every WWII movie ever made including the best three "saving private ryan" ( for realism), "bridge too far" For the acting, and "Bridge on the river kwai" For the outstanding script.

History channel is for 98% WWII 2% everything else.

Need anything else?

Oh games
Colonial conquest ( prob one of the best games ever played esp for its time period - man i miss NC summers of CC)
Waterloo - Napoleans last battle
Gettysburg
Aneitam
Axis and allies
Shogan
Diplomacy
World Power ( a game i created in early 90s i want to change from paper and pencil to computer)

Anything else let me know

RCBricker33@yahoo.com

Thanks for the interest, friends. If you wish to join the group you will need to post your email or click on my email address above. Unfortunately, I will play Japan. So, it looks like at this point we need a poor sap to play England. I believe the super micro-managing stuff England has to put up with will be eased a bit in the patch, let us hope!.

I have mailed you from my personal Email adress that Im interested in joining a MP campaign.

Hey Henrik- Your Hotmail account is at maximum, I cannot email you.

I will make the announcement here also then. The game is going to be delayed until a patch is released to fix the tactical bombing bug. I will see if there is a work around possible, but Im not optimistic.

Work is going forward as far as getting the rules and tweaks together as normal. I actually have a good list going with substantial improvements(tweak wise) to the game files. It is going to be my own little patch.

I will list our group and who plays who:

Germany- RCBricker USA
USSR- Jon H. Finland
UK- Henrik R. Sweden
USA- Bill H. USA
Japan- Bob L. USA

The web page for our group will be up later today. It is simple and to the point, so no wise cracks please.