• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anjwalker

Major
39 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome

Diplomatic screen for Croatia at beginning of game.

Greetings. Welcome to Kingdom of Croatia, a Croatian AAR for Victoria II.

The game begins in 1836, in a version where Croatia has been modded to be independent when the game begins. The story goes that in this alternate timeline, Genoa was been annexed by Sardinia as in real life and its nobles have been forced to flee. The Prince of Melfi (Andrea Doria XXI), a Genoese nobles whose line is intermarried with the line of the Ban of Croatia, has claimed the throne of the 'Kingdom of Croatia' and is now effectively ruling the Kingdom.

I hope you enjoy my first attempt at an AAR.​

Chapter 1, Beginnings

--- The private journals of Andrea Doria XXI, King of the Croats and Prince of Melfi ---

Journal Entry 1, January 31st 1836.
So here I am; ruler of an impoverished, technologically backwards nation. It is a far cry from Genoa, the rich, advanced Italian merchant state in which I was born.

In my first month in office, I raised the military budget after discovering that all Croatia can muster is 2 brigades of half-equipped irregulars, and set about building up the nation’s economy. Taxes on the middle-class were lowered, while I began a program to encourage military recruitment in Slavonia. Hopefully it goes well.

As an afterthought, I have set my thinkers - the engineers, philosophers and theologians of Croatia - to work on a new concept that I see our neighbours are using; Free Trade. I hope it is beneficial.

Journal Entry 2, April 30t, 1836
I didn’t bother writing for February or March; nothing to report on. I was forced to raise trade tariffs, and I finished recruiting Croatia’s meagre offering of a military in early March; however that was all that happened during those months.

In April, debt caught up with Croatia and I had to raise tariffs to their upper limit and lower education spending. Yet still we are losing money. We can sustain the loss for the next 50 years or so though, as long as no ambitious military projects are engaged in, so it isn’t a major concern.

croatiandebt.png

Journal Entry 3, May 31st 1836
We got Serbian support via an alliance in May. It is a good step forward, as Serbia has a better military than us and are our closest none-Great Power neighbour besides Montenegro, who are of no note, and the Papal States, who would never even speak to a Croatian. The papacy is a bloated mess, so I’d be uninterested anyway.

Journal Entry 4, June 31st 1836
I removed the Royal Party from power this earlier month. They were restricting how low I could put my tax, which was causing two thirds of my population to starve. The Liberals are in power now, and I’ve literally zeroed out the middle class tax. In addition, bringing in the Liberals with Laissez Faire economic policies have brought Croatia out of the red zone and back into a point where money is actually entering the treasury instead of just leaving it

The Royal Party are obviously peeved, and I foresee problems with them in the future.

In the meanwhile, the outside world is in a series of war. Mexico is still attempting to squash Texas, Britain is scrabbling for more Asian lands, and France is dismantling Tunis. However, nothing is taking place in our region.

Journal Entry 5, January 31st 1837
Nothing interesting happened in Croatia for the rest of the Year of Our Lord 1836, hence the gap. Just some tax modifications to keep the nation out of debt; lowering the military budget, primarily.

I have been sending flattery Austria’s way this month. We need protection, should Ottoman’s decide to look towards the Balkans and so I have had to complement their distasteful nation for the cause of my nation’s security.

austriansuckingupto.png

Journal Entry 6, December 31st 1837
It’s the last day of the year, and I have to think back on 1937 and wonder what really happened? The budget is in good shape; a large profit is entering the treasury and I’ve been able to lower tariffs, and raise the administration, military and education budgets.

None of the expected trouble has come, and I’m now eying the rich Asian nations; however, Croatia doesn’t have a navy or an army that could invade even the weakest among them. We will have to wait.

Journal Entry 7, February 29th 1838
I upset the budget applecart this month when I began building a fleet of clipper transports. We are losing money hand over fist, but we can survive it and it is worth it to have sea transport.

Journal Entry 8, June 30th 1838
Our navy is built! Croatia now has its first ships. Though the navy is weak, it is a sign of national progress.

In addition, more sucking up to Austria was called for this month.

Journal Entry 9, August 31st 1838
Krakow requested an alliance this month and we welcomed them. It’s not like we can actually help them should they get into trouble, but it is a nice sentiment.

Journal Entry 10, September 30th 1838
A grand achievement now. Tuscany, a semi-important regional power in Italy, has requested an alliance with us. Even better, they have a reasonable military that can help us should we get into trouble. I mean, it’s not like we can be of assistance to them.

I just checked with my Foreign Minister too, and the closest war to us in the Netherlands annexing Belgium, so no chance Tuscany might pull us into trouble.

tuscanyalliance.png

Journal Entry 10, October 31st 1838
I sent orders to construct a frigate fleet to the ship yards in Pola. It is costly; for a week we were losing 120 Kuna a day, enough to consume 840 out of 6000 of the reserve Kuna in the treasury. However, the benefits outweigh this cost and it levelled out before the month was over. It’ll take two and a half months to regain the money, but navy power is more important.​

It's always interesting to read AARs about unexpected countries. I'll be following this.

I'm surprised you can afford a frigate. Have you researched Freedom of Trade already?

Oh, and a map might be nice. I'm not even sure what colour Croatia is on the map...

...Croatia? Good luck, in my several attempts at Croatia I have never really succeeded

Map:
croatiamap.png

The light green is Croatia.

I'm researching Freedom of Trade currently, but it is taking a long time. Croatia is stuffed technologically; I can't even make infantry. My budget is going well, considering all. I'm getting 12 Kuna profit per day, with a maxed out education and military budget.

Can't make infantry? That doesn't sound right... Did you save and load the game once you released Croatia? If you didn't, that may explain things being a bit strange.

I don't have Vicky 2 yet so I can't comment on the tech, but I would have thought Croatia would be able to make Infantry! Surely your tech should be directly based off Austria-Hungary's tech?

I'm trying to get into V2 AARs and this seems like a great place to start. I have a major soft spot for Croatia, can't explain why, so I look forward to your deeds with the Adriatic Kingdom!

That method does not work for me. Croatia remains a satellite of Austria using that method. I only have the 1.1 patch, as my computer refuses to download 1.3, so maybe that is the reason?

I had to mod Croatia free.

Chapter 2, Growth

--- The private journals of Andrea Doria XXI, King of the Croats and Prince of Melfi ---

Journal Entry 11, February 29th 1839
I outsmarted the political parties today. I swiftly removed the Liberals from power, because they refused to let me build factories, and brought the Nationalists into power. Then, I built a winery at the cost of 1/6th of the treasury and returned the Liberals to power.

The factory is now under construction and should boost the economy.

Journal Entry 12, May 31st 1839
Croatia finished building its first frigate fleet today. It is a grand achievement for our nation!

Journal Entry 13, December 31st 1839
My ‘researchers’ finally got around to doing something this month. They finally implemented this ‘Freedom of Trade’ thing I told them to begin working on five years ago.

croatiaresearch.png

The benefits are enormous though. It has more than tripled our economic output; Croatia is well on the way to becoming a power to be reckoned with.

croatiabudget.png

I’ve sent them away again to work on a new concept; ‘flintlock’ rifles. If my advisers are right, it should really improve our military.

Journal Entry 14, January 31st 1840
I discovered this month that our economy can actually build a clipper transport fleet without going into debt. We are making enough money that what we spend is less than what we bring in, even during the building process!

Journal Entry 15, February 29th 1840
Sucking up to the big neighbours was the course of action this month. We are getting pretty cozy with Austria now, and I also began a program of sucking up to the Ottomans this month. Yet, Austria is still unlikely to ally with us, according to my Foreign Minister.

suckingup.png

Journal Entry 16, May 31st 1840
Finished up on the clipper fleet this month; our navy how consists of 2 clippers and 1 frigate.

Journal Entry 17, December 31st 1840
I sent a frigate off to explore Asia, to look for possible places to conquest. It is a long trip, which will take months to complete as the ship has to go all the way around Africa, but hopefully it will be fruitful.

Also, I began constructing another frigate this month. It still costs a lot but it is not as damaging as it was only a year ago.

Journal Entry 18, October 31st 1841
Received word that we lost the frigate sent to ‘Atjeh’. A pity, but their courier got back safe at least and let us know that conquest in that region is impossible. Also, we finished building a new frigate last month.

Journal Entry 19, September 30th 1841
Nothing much to report for ages now. We have continued sucking up to Austria and the Ottoman’s though.

Journal Entry 20, April 30th 1843
We have a factory! The winery I commissioned so long ago is up and running, and employing 600 people. It is also turning over a tiny profit. It is magnificent to see things paying off at last.

To celebrate, I’m building a second factory; a liquor distillery in Dalmatia, using the same tactic was before; kick the Liberals, bring in Nationalists, begin factory construction and then return to Liberal government.

factorym.png

Also I am celebrating further good news. Literacy has reached a milestone; 18%.

Journal Entry 21, November 30th 1843
Rebellion is brewing. A Serbian trouble maker has begun stirring up unrest across Croatia. We caught him yesterday and had him quietly executed, but the populace isn’t happy.

serbianguy.png

In better news, a new technology has become available to Croatia’s military; flintlock rifles. They should really improve our military power.

researchtechcroatian.png

I’ve told the ‘scientists’ to begin experimenting with water wheel power next.​

Ah, 1.1! That explains how you can afford frigates. Have you tried getting military access from any nation between you and East Asia (e.g. Portugal, France, the UK, one of the Persian Gulf countries)? Using friendly ports as waystations can drastically reduce attrition.

Also, if you're having trouble getting the installer to download 1.3, you could try manually downloading the latest 1.4 beta from here. Just unpack the contents of the rar into your Victoria 2 folder, and that should do the trick. The only drawback is that the various patches have changed the game so fundamentally that it won't be easy to continue a 1.1 save, nor will it be so easy to continue putting the strategies you're probably used to into use.

I didn't plan to post this until tomorrow but I've been bored today and have backlog of three AAR chapters completed, so I thought I'd post one every day, instead of the planed every second day. I hope this isn't too fast for people to read?

Give me your thoughts on either posting once a day or once every second day..

---------

Chapter 3, Omens & Change

Journal Entry 22, January 31st 1844
I look over the nations affairs today and find that it is steadily climbing todays a glory. We now have a meagre military, an industrial base that is growing swiftly and a reasonable navy for such a small nation.

I also sent off our navy to scout out the prospect of invading Modena. I don’t like our chances, but I thought the idea was worthwhile. The ships will arrive next month.

Lastly, we sent some bribes towards Austrian aristocrats and capitalists this month.

austrianbribery.png

Journal Entry 23, February 29th 1844
I disbanded the Croatian military today and set to work training new troops with these ‘flintlock rifles’. The users call themselves infantry, instead of irregulars and are many times more useful in a battle.

The ships arrived outside Modena and have returned. They tell me that with these new infantry, we should be able to conquer Modena … if it is actually worth it is debatable.

Journal Entry 24, June 30th 1844
My new infantry was completed this month. However, Modena is safe for now. It would be a strategically suicidal action to invade them; being so far from Croatia and so isolated, and all.

Journal Entry 25, December 31st 1844
Some smart-ass capitalist got it into his head to demolish Croatia’s only factory this month! I’m not happy, not happy at all. In response I kicked the Liberals and brought the Nationalists into power. Now I can also stop letting them limit my military budget, and I’ve ramped it up to maximum, which is still within Croatia’s budget.

In addition, I’ve begun building a new factory again.

Journal Entry 26, August 31st 1845
Despite the fact Croatia’s industry has gone backwards and there has been absolutely zero progress on building those new factories I ordered, we have achieved the ability to build a third brigade of troops! Horrary for that at least.

Journal Entry 27, September 30th 1845
I ordered that new brigade be recruited this month. Little else has happened, though yet more sucking up to Austria took place.

Journal Entry 28, December 31st 1845
Nearly the end of the year and so little has happened. I continue to bribe Austrian aristocrats though, in the hope I can put myself in a position of influence with Austria.

Journal Entry 29, January 31st 1846
I cancelled one of the factories this month. Maybe that will make the other one build faster? I don’t know, but there is little else I could do.

Journal Entry 30, March 31st 1846
I removed one of my generals from his position today. Tomislav Lagimja was a real coward, and a burden on our army. Vlaho Nazor replaced him; he may be eccentric, but he is undeniably a genius.

generalsxh.png

Journal Entry 31, December 31st 1846
We are as high in Austria’s favour as we will ever get; I just hope all this bribery was worth it and something good comes of it.

austrianbriberycomplete.png

However, other problems are raised now. People have begun leaving Croatia for the New World! It is a horrid state of affairs and I’m not sure how to solve it.

immigration.png

Journal Entry 32, January 31st 1846
Rebellion stirs. Yugoslavian nationalists wish to ‘unify’ us into a new nation, and they are slowly increasing in strength. Although according to the Minister of Internal Affairs, the numbers are tiny at the moment, it’s a bad omen for the future.

rebelss.png

Journal Entry 33, May 31st 1846
I sent some money Austria’s way this month; war subsidiaries to help them and to curry favour.. Prussia is currently pushing into Austria and that spells bad news for us.

subsidaries.png

Journal Entry 34, July 31st 1846
We finished with the Water Wheel technology this month.* Glorious advancement for, to be sure. My think tanks are now working on a theory about new military tactics; I hope it turns out well.

--- The Croatian National Herald, October 11, 1847---
Royal Wedding Sweeps Capital!
The royal wedding of King Andrea Doria XXI to Princess Esma Sultana** has been met with varying reactions - the Nationalists are in outrage, the Liberals and Royal parties are rejoicing and the Church has set to protesting - however everyone of standing, no matter their personal feelings, has turned out to greet the Ottoman Sultan and the Princess on the day of the wedding.

Buntings adorn every building in Zagreb today, and an estimated ten thousand citizens turned out to cheer as the Sultan’s carriage made its way down the main street. The King has declared today a national holiday, ‘Esma Day’.

ottomanalliance.png

--- Resumed - the private journals of Andrea Doria XXI, King of the Croats and Prince of Melfi ---

Journal Entry 35, October 31st 1847
The rebels are growing. They have more than doubled in numbers since last year and are set to cause trouble. Yet I have no idea how to supress them effectively before they actually break out into armed conflict.

rebelsupdated.png

However, in better news I now have a wife, my dear Esma, Queen of the Croats and Princess of the Ottomans and Melfi. Things look more hopeful, as the Ottomans have pledged to be our allies and now the royal line isn’t in such severe danger of being extinguished.

Journal Entry 36, January 31st 1848
The new factory in Croatia state has finally been completed. We are back on track in regards to industry.

Journal Entry 37, March 31st 1848
I redirected my program to encourage factory workers (Labourers) from Dalmatia state to Croatia state. It should get more workers for Croatia’s single factory.

Little else to report and nothing looks set to happen this year.

* Anjwalker stupidly forget to screenshot this.
** Not the historical Princess.

Uh oh, Pan-Nationalists!

Good call on bribing the Austrians and befriending the Ottomans, that's two major threats hopefully out of the way. But, and this is a bit but, will you be forced to pick sides later if they throw down?

I think posting once a day is fine, since your posts aren't too long.

Chapter 4, An Heir & An Assassin

--- Croatian National Herald, March 26th 1849 ---
Heir Born!
An heir to the throne of Croatia has been born. In the early hours of this morning Jossip Doria entered the world. The royal family has said that newly born Duke of Zagreb weighed 3.5 kilograms at birth and is perfectly healthy.

It is a sign of a long, prosperous future for the nation. The current King has already raised Croatia out of debt, built port facilities and Croatia’s first factory, and multiplied Croatia’s military strength tenfold, among other reforms passed by the Genoan ‘King of the Croats’.

The choice of a Croatian name for the heir is also taken by many as a sign that the King now sees Croatia as his new homeland.

--- Private journals of Andrea Doria XXI, King of the Croats and Prince of Melfi ---

Journal Entry 38, March 31st 1849
Earlier this month I was given the gift of holding my newborn son in my arms, only minutes after he was born. At my age, nearing 40, I never thought I’d get an heir but in a miracle, I have received an heir.

Esma and myself are so happy, and I finally feel I can begin to release my grief over the loss of my homeland.

Journal Entry 39, April 30th 1849
I set my engineers to work on another clipper fleet earlier this month. What we had couldn’t carry our entire army if invasion of a foreign and was ever to happen, so expansion was needed.

We are losing 11 Kuna a day on the project, but we have 100 thousand Kuna in the treasury, so it is little

Journal Entry 40, July 31st 1849
I set to work maintaining relations with Austria this month. I also sent a fleet to scout out Morocco. Not much interesting taking place.

Journal Entry 41, September 30th 1849
The fleet arrived in Morocco; according to the courier it is ripe for the taking, and I’m launching a conquest of Morocco very soon. The population is minimal, and the natural resources are useless, but it would make a good base in Africa, possibly to use for colonial dealings. The fleet shall arrive in around four months; the fleet has to make it back first.

Journal Entry 42, November 30th 1849
The fleet arrived home, the new clipper has been built and I’m sending the entire army to conquer Morocco. God speed to the fleet!

Journal Entry 43, December 31st 1849
The Hellenic Kingdom, Greece, sent an ambassador to use only three days ago. They requested a military alliance, and despite the fact that Greece is a coveted location that may get us into trouble with any number of Great Powers, they are the only nation to offer us an alliance that has access to the sea, besides the Ottomans. Krakow and Serbia are isolated and unable to assist should trouble hit Croatia.

Eventually, after two days of debate, I accepted.

hellenicalliance.png

Journal Entry 44, January 31st 1850
To my dismay, when the fleet arrived in Morocco’s waters they found that Portugal had already gotten the same idea as us and was in the middle of invading. However, we have continued ahead with my plan in the hope we can beat them to it.

The troops exited our fleet and invaded Tarfaya province without resistance and they are in the middle of sieging the local militia and subjugating the locals as I speak.

Journal Entry 45, April 30th 1850
I received news that our fleet won a battle with Morocco’s ships in the Strait of Gibraltar only three days ago and is now blockading all Moroccan ports. In addition, the siege of Tarfaya is going ahead like clockwork.

invasionjr.png

Journal Entry 46, August 31st 1850
I received news earlier this month that we hold Tarfaya and that we have begun a siege of Rabat, with no resistance so far. Croatia’s expansion looks set to go ahead.

invasion02.png

Also, my think tanks have finally decided on an implementation scheme for the tactics I told them to research. They also came up with the blueprints for ‘Forts’, defensive structures of a modern form. It is better than I expected.

researchcroatian.png

I sent them away again to build some steam engines for Croatia to implement.

Journal Entry 47, March 31st 1850
We have lost. Portugal agreed to a treaty with Morocco that gave them the lands we wanted, meaning a forced white peace was placed on us. It is a horrible end for what looked to be shaping up to be a glorious war.

I now fear for my life and I am going to set to work selecting a Regent in case I leave this world before Jossip can grow up. I will look for some trustworthy, who cares for the people and who I believe will be happy to give up power when he is required to.

--- Croatian National Herald, January 1st 1851 ---
The King is Dead!
The King stood upon the steps of the Palace, addressing the people of Zagreb in a rousing speech to the public. Suddenly, the crack of a gunshot broke through the cheering, and a bullet plummeted into his heart. The King was dead instantly.

It is this scene that has shocked the nation.

The Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists claim it as their work, claiming that the ‘foreigner scum had no right to rule’ and many in the Croatian government are expressing fears for the nations continued existence. More than eight thousand have publically joined up to the cause of these rebels at last check. The very foundation of Croatia’s recent growth is in danger of breaking down, starting with the death of the man who revolutionised our nation.

As the heir to the throne is just under 3 years old, a Regent will have to be appointed, but who it will be is up to speculation.

rebels02.png

--- Private journals of Andrea Doria XX, King of the Croats and Prince of Melfi (RIP. 1851) &Vhalo Nazor, Regent of Croatia---
Journal Entry 48, January 31st 1851
I was shocked when I discovered that King Andrea Doria XXI had placed in his will that I was to be regent should anything happen to him before Jossip was old enough to assume the throne. I was even more surprised when he left me his personal journals. We had been friendly to each other but he lived in a different social circle, obviously. It was a shock.

However, when I arrived home and received the leadership of the nation, I took firm control.

Journal Entry 49, March 31st 1851
Obviously, as a military man the defensive and offensive capabilities of the nation are important, so I did two things this month; I choose my successor to lead the army and I set the Croatian engineers to work on a project; building a fort just outside Zagreb.

A Zlatan Gundulic is my chosen General.

Journal Entry 50, October 31st 1851
These Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists are a continuing problem. Since the King’s death they have grown swiftly; they could now raise nearly double the forces that Croatia can if they choose to rebel, and according to the Minister of Internal Affairs they are even more likely to rebel than ever before. And just as the King before me, I have no idea how to supress them.

rebels03.png

Journal Entry 51, March 31st 1853
Literacy has reached a new milestone, 19%. It is still low, but it is climbing.

literacy.png

Journal Entry 52, July 4th 1853
The rebels rose up today. We aren’t in any serious trouble though; they may outnumber Croatia’s military, but they are divided.

rebels04.png

rebels05.png

Journal Entry 53, August 13th 1853
We managed to beat the rebels with only minor losses. The movement is broken, for the moment. It was surprising so few of their number actually ended up rebelling. However, they are still present and may be a problem in the future.

rebeldefeat.png

Winning the second battle.